PDA

View Full Version : Are The Voices Of Horseplayers Being Heard?

Horseplayersbet.com
10-15-2009, 12:46 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52981/are-the-voices-of-horseplayers-being-heard

The major issue, however, is “takeout, takeout, takeout,” John Pricci said.

Jeff Gural is willing to experiment with takeout since 90% of the purses at his tracks come from slot revenues.
He is rightfully worried that other tracks (and ADWs) won't take his signal.

andymays
10-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Horseplayers don't seem to know what they really want or how to go about it if the thread I started in general racing means anything!

The dollar hot dog and dollar beer must be enough!

Handiman
10-15-2009, 03:59 PM
One thing that I think a lot of us are missing is that we discuss most issues here at PA in a vacuum. It's been my experience when attending racing at the track or the OTB , regardless which one, that the more sophisticated player, albeit the computer handicapper is in the minority. And by a large margin.

I don't mean for that to sound snobbish although I just read it and it does. My point is that the majority of players I see and come across are tout sheet or form players who have floated in on a wish and a prayer. I'd be willing to bet that if you asked at random 20 players what turn time is for instance, maybe and I mean maybe 3 of them would be able to answer you.

If my hypothesis is right then there are far less handicappers concerned with the issues raised on this board than one would want to believe to be true. I may be way off. But a significant number of times I see players yelling at their horse while beating a copy of the local paper's sports section against the palm of their hand. Or as many times I overhear players talking about how their favorite tout led them off the winner, which left to their own devices they would have chosen for some reason or other.

I guess I am seeing firsthand what it is a little like to be one who is in the minority and how frustrating it can be.

Handi

andymays
10-15-2009, 04:06 PM
One thing that I think a lot of us are missing is that we discuss most issues here at PA in a vacuum. It's been my experience when attending racing at the track or the OTB , regardless which one, that the more sophisticated player, albeit the computer handicapper is in the minority. And by a large margin.

I don't mean for that to sound snobbish although I just read it and it does. My point is that the majority of players I see and come across are tout sheet or form players who have floated in on a wish and a prayer. I'd be willing to bet that if you asked at random 20 players what turn time is for instance, maybe and I mean maybe 3 of them would be able to answer you.

If my hypothesis is right then there are far less handicappers concerned with the issues raised on this board than one would want to believe to be true. I may be way off. But a significant number of times I see players yelling at their horse while beating a copy of the local paper's sports section against the palm of their hand. Or as many times I overhear players talking about how their favorite tout led them off the winner, which left to their own devices they would have chosen for some reason or other.

I guess I am seeing firsthand what it is a little like to be one who is in the minority and how frustrating it can be.

Handi

Outstanding post Handiman! :ThmbUp:

Short of kidnapping them and giving them shock treatment how do we change the attitude? Can the attitude be changed at all?

rwwupl
10-15-2009, 04:28 PM

Handi

Being a part of the majority does not make you correct.

Being a part of the minority does not make you wrong.

Treat those imposters the same and stand up for what you believe. A single person can make a difference for many.

rwwupl