PDA

View Full Version : Some people have no sense of humor

highnote
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I am not offended by this story. Maybe I'm missing something.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091014/od_nm/us_racing_australia

MELBOURNE (Reuters) – Australian horse racing officials have been slammed for holding a dwarf racing competition called the 'Midget Cup' at a meeting in Melbourne to promote Victoria state's annual carnival.

The race at the Cranbourne Cup Sunday involved three men charging down a 50-metres course with dwarfs dressed in jockey silks riding piggyback, and has been denounced by government officials and advocacy groups.

"Well look, there's often a fine line between a bit of fun and a silly stunt and I think this falls into the latter category," Victorian racing minister Rob Hulls told state radio.

"I mean the Midget's Cup for goodness sake. It's certainly no way of promoting this great Spring Carnival right around the world, right around Australia and right throughout Victoria."

The controversy comes days after an Australian talent show came under fire for airing a comedy troupe skit involving dancers wearing afro wigs and black-painted faces to impersonate late pop star Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5.

Stuart Laing, a marketing manager at Racing Victoria, said the dwarf race was intended to be "harmless fun," but apologized and said it would not be repeated.

"We understand that you can't please everyone and if anyone's offended by the events of Sunday then we apologize to them," he said.

46zilzal
10-15-2009, 11:42 AM
All you have to do to understand this is sit in on a marketing session. These MBA types don't know a thing about horse racing and probably never will.

I asked one point blank:"What do all these funny stunts do to KEEP racing fans here?"

Answer: 'That's NOT my job!"

highnote
10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
All you have to do to understand this is sit in on a marketing session. These MBA types don't know a thing about horse racing and probably never will.

I asked one point blank:"What do all these funny stunts do to KEEP racing fans here?"

Answer: 'That's NOT my job!"

I can see that wasting money on ineffective advertising might be offensive.

However, dwarves in jockey silks riding piggy back in a 50 meter race strikes me as funny -- not offensive.

On the other hand, maybe it wasn't a waste of money. The racing festival just got worldwide exposure with this stunt. :D

GaryG
10-15-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. They probably were paid pretty well for it and they didn't have to do it. They have limited opportunities anyway. Unless there is a remake of Wizard of Oz.

46zilzal
10-15-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. They probably were paid pretty well for it and they didn't have to do it. They have limited opportunities anyway. Unless there is a remake of Wizard of Oz.
And when they did they MADE the most of it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-397458/The-secret-salacious-world-Munchkins.html

Steve 'StatMan'
10-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Are Bikinki Races still ok? (please, please, please)

Are 'Little Women' in bikinis flat out? Maybe if riding on someone I guess.

Don't think 2 full-sized men piggyback races would draw much of a crowd, and 50 yards might be a tough haul.

How about Austrailian Rules Football Players carrying Jockeys 50 yards. Heck, they have the Ostrich Races here - and that's a native bird down there.

highnote
10-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Are Bikinki Races still ok? (please, please, please)

bi-kinki ?? :eek: -- I'm sure that would draw a crowd -- not sure they'd be there for the betting, though. :D

ddog
10-15-2009, 01:51 PM
I myself always showed for the midget toss.

A blast.

I "may have" even tossed one or two in the past. :D

Why deny them a right to earn a living?

Oh , I forgot. OK. :lol:

BIG women in bikini, now that's a show!!!

You never lived unless you have attended the heavy-weight wrestling matches. The midgets trying to avoid the "heavies" of the other tag team...........

Priceless.

LottaKash
10-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Female "jell-o" wrestlers.....before or after a "wet t-shirt" contest...Or a 5 horse field of bottom line claimers on synthethics...It's all funny...:jump:

Or would one rather, watch a guy, visciously, getting his lights punched out, or a quarter back getting maimed, or fiery race-car crash....It is all entertainment, and if that is what you want to see, so be it...:bang:

The little guys, were paid to entertain...So, if anyone would or should be offended, I believe it should have been the shorter people...They took the kash, tho..:jump:

hazzardm
10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Beats the heck out of the all too familiar weiner dog race :-(

ddog
10-15-2009, 02:01 PM
not if you roast the losers!

:eek:

Steve 'StatMan'
10-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Midgets can be a troubling term to some. Maybe they could have called them 65 pound races. Write it as a condition like a race - for human with riders, 50 yards. Weights 65 pounds and under.