PDA

View Full Version : Really Gambling

witchdoctor
05-31-2003, 05:40 PM
We have decided to really do some gambling and got a couple of 2 year fillies that we are getting ready to run at Lone Star at the end of the month. My question is if you owned a racehorse, which would be the 5 jockeys at Lone Star that you would want to ride your horse and why?

kenwoodall
05-31-2003, 08:26 PM
No names, but starting positions 2,3, and 4 win the most so a faster starting jock.
Lone star track varies a great deal fast to slow, so check 4f dirt works on www.equibase.com to see how fast or slow the track was running the day yours work out. You may find each horse prepers a fast or slow trck to run on to fit their running style. Generally weekdays are faster, weekends slower at LS. Weekdays can be as fast as 48.8 seconds, with somw weeks and weekends as slow as 50.0.
I would check on Tuesday or Wednesday to see 4f dirt works for an idea of track speed days ahead. I have won lotsof money betting favorites (speed) the whole day's card if 49.0 or under!
Some trainers run certain horses certain days when the tracik may be suitable dept. Weekend works and races should be better for your horses' legs!!
Let me know what happens!

JimG
05-31-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by witchdoctor
We have decided to really do some gambling and got a couple of 2 year fillies that we are getting ready to run at Lone Star at the end of the month. My question is if you owned a racehorse, which would be the 5 jockeys at Lone Star that you would want to ride your horse and why?

In order of preference,

Eddie Martin, Jr.
Don Simington
Corey Lanerie
Elvis Perrodin
Tim Doocy

Not exactly a stellar crop, but these five give the steadiest rides for my buck.

JimG

Show Me the Wire
05-31-2003, 09:25 PM
Witchdoctor:

I am partial to Corey Lanerie, probably the best jock there. He has won the riding title at LS a few times. If he is good enough for Asmussen, he is good enough for me.

With that said your trainer would prefer to use his favorite jock. The best idea is to use the jock who works your animal in the morning, at least for the first few races.

BTW good luck on entering your animals on the day the track depth favors their running style, since most likely will enter according to the days specified in the condition book and not the days specified by track maintenance.

In all sincerity, best wishes in your most excellent endeavor.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality.

Zaf
05-31-2003, 09:28 PM
My Top 5

1) Jamie Theriot
2) Eddie M. Martin, Jr.
3) Roman Chapa
4) Corey J. Lanerie
5) Donald Simington

ZAFONIC

Show Me the Wire
05-31-2003, 09:58 PM
You can't beat an animal?

Use a whip.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

I am for beating their a** down the lane.

Larry Hamilton
05-31-2003, 10:20 PM
If you make the choice of a jock using the advice of 800 complete strangers instead of allowing the trainer to do it, you are headed for trouble--quick.

Show Me the Wire
05-31-2003, 10:39 PM
Actually, your choice of jock will be determined by how your fillies are perceived by the scum sucking err. I mean jock agents. If your fillies are perceived as being good ,your trainer will have his choice of jocks, if not you will get who is available or the regular rider for your trainer.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Storm Cadet
05-31-2003, 10:45 PM
Let your trainer pick out the jockey...he'll know or should know what type of jock will get the best results out of the type of horse you've got...

Show Me the Wire
05-31-2003, 11:02 PM
Whatever you do, don't blindly listen to your trainer. He probably knows less than you do about handicapping, jockeys, placement of horses, trips etc. The expertises your trainer has are knowledge about the physical health of the horse, knowledge of a good vet, and hopefully conditioning a horse.

Most successful operations have a stable manager to make decisions about jockeys, placement, etc, becuase experience has taught these operations that trainers are not proficient in making decisions outside of the physical care of the animal..

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

so.cal.fan
05-31-2003, 11:45 PM
Gerard Melancon.

dav4463
06-02-2003, 12:21 AM
I think Kevin Cogburn does a great job despite not getting the mounts he deserves.

Valuist
06-02-2003, 09:23 AM
You'll probably get a more subjective answer here than from a trainer. There's a lot of politics involved w/trainers; and besides, they're lousy handicappers.

pic6vic
06-02-2003, 11:23 AM
doctor

Listen to Larry's response. Let the trainer do the Jock selection. If your horse is going to win he will make the right selection. If he says your horse has a good shot and uses a 2nd rate jockey, then he may be incompetent. Find a new trainer. Don't worry about the jock, just make sure your trainer is competent.

ceejay
06-03-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by dav4463
I think Kevin Cogburn does a great job despite not getting the mounts he deserves.

I agree with this.

LurkingBettor
06-04-2003, 12:58 AM
Witchdoctor,

Who's your trainer?

LB

witchdoctor
06-04-2003, 10:57 PM
I want to thank everyone for their input. Being a small stable (currently 3 horses) we wind up getting left overs on the jockeys. One thing I have learned from racing is jockeys dont' lose the race but they sure can lose it. Example 1 the jockey stands up 50 yards from the finish with his hand raised like he just won the Ky Derby blowing a 4 length lead and losing by a nose. Happened to us. Example 2, our horse likes to press the pace in a 10 horse field in a 7 F race with 7 need to lead horses. The jockey was given the instructions not to get near the speed dual and come from 5-8 lengths back. So what happens, we are parked 7 wide on the turn .25 length off the leader running a 44.4 half. Thank God we weren't allowed to have guns at the track or there would have been a dead jockey.
Our trainer is Carol Cast. She usually has been a one horse trainer as a hobby. Her first horse was Justa Quick Silver who was purchased for $1500 and earned $40000 before going bad and being sold for $8000. It turned out the vet missed an ulcer and after healing that he has earned another $80,000.
Next horse was In The Red bought for $2000 and earned $5000 before snapping a leg. Currently, they race Slewbacca who they acquired for $250(thats not a misprint). His first race, he ran like his purchase price earning a BRIS speed rating of 41. Thru training he has increased his BRIS number to 75 and earned $4000.
We went in with the Casts and bought 2 yearling fillies at the Fasig-Tipton Texas sale. We had a pedigree consultant (Ellen Parker) review the catalog and she picked about 15 horses that had what she thought had intriguing pedigrees. We then examined those horses and whittled the number to 6 based on comformation. We bought the 2 we could afford. Our business plan has the Casts boarding and training the horses for $3/day/horse. In exchange, they get 50% of the horses earnings. This is a win win situation as it limits my risk and it gives them a chance to train better horses. They make their money if they get the girls to earn some money.
I know this is an unorthodox arrangement but I know we can't compete with the big boys we our resources and therefore we have to think outside the box.

witchdoctor
06-04-2003, 10:59 PM
For the record, our horses are Subtle Remark who should be starting late June or early July and Tara Ho who probably won't hit the track until October.

LurkingBettor
06-04-2003, 11:18 PM
witchdoctor,

I have some association with Sam David, Jr. and we normally don't get the upper tier of jockeys either. Invariably at LSP you'll be running against Asmussen or Norman so you can forget about Lanerie, Theriot, Melancon, and probably a couple of others even being available to ride for you.

You might consider Ted Gondron, Cliff Berry, Alex Jiminez, or Roman Chapa. Don't recall seeing those names mentioned earlier. Also, Glen Murphy has had some stellar years in the past.

Your trainer/horses might feel more comfortable with a female jockey. I'd vote for Diedre Panas if she's around.

Good luck!
LB

JustRalph
06-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by LurkingBettor
Your trainer/horses might feel more comfortable with a female jockey. I'd vote for Diedre Panas if she's around. Good luck!
LB

$3 bucks a day? man....that is something. sounds like fun on the cheap.

Deidre Panas is a good suggestion I think. If your horse turns into a front runner, Rita Helton! She seems to do well on front runners. :cool:

What happen to Ed Alicea? He was doing very well as a bug boy at Sam last meet....anybody know?

BillW
06-05-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph

What happen to Ed Alicea? He was doing very well as a bug boy at Sam last meet....anybody know?

Ralph,

Just saw him on the Lone Star "Cold Jockey" list in Bris' handicappers edge

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=edgeframe&header=off

About 80% of the way down the page.

Bill

JustRalph
06-05-2003, 04:15 AM
Thanks Billw....great page. I haven't seen that one before.

Show Me the Wire
06-05-2003, 06:12 AM
Thank God we weren't allowed to have guns at the track or there would have been a dead jockey.

Pitch forks are readily available and it adds a more personal touch.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is rea;ity

Zaf
06-05-2003, 10:02 AM
For the record, our horses are Subtle Remark who should be starting late June or early July and Tara Ho who probably won't hit the track until October.

Best of Luck !!! I will put them in my Stable Mail and root them on !!

I aqree with Just Ralph on Panas & Helton. Highly underated. They don't just get great Stock. But those gals can ride !!!

ZAFONIC