PDA

View Full Version : Maiden claiming races

redeye007
10-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Is there any situation when a four year old that's had many many chances going against three year olds should be supported in a maiden claiming race? My rule is to almost always toss them out in the win position or never single them to win in the exotics against three year olds no matter how favored they are at post time.

GaryG
10-15-2009, 07:33 AM
I would never single one of them but they do win occasionally, more often late in the year when the decent maidens have already won. There was one Saturday at Hawthorne, Del Pietro, who is a 3yo but he had something like 25 losses. Had by far the best figures and won by 6. There are some maiden claimers where the lightly raced horses can't run at all.

illinoisbred
10-15-2009, 07:40 AM
I think their PPs speak for themselves and would answer your question with a big NO. Any horse with merit really ought to break their maiden before they've started 10 times-and even then better have some valid excuse[s]. If you make your own speed figures, or use others, there's often tell-tale signs with these "types". They will often run 2nd/3rd chasing fast winners and slow winners. When they eventually do win,its often with a very slow final number. Shit does happen-1 of these kind[0-25+] won last week at Hawthorne and paid a whopping 7.00 [approx.].

gm10
10-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Is there any situation when a four year old that's had many many chances going against three year olds should be supported in a maiden claiming race? My rule is to almost always toss them out in the win position or never single them to win in the exotics against three year olds no matter how favored they are at post time.

Maybe if there's a new trainer?

I'd be weary of horses who always finish second/third. Not just because of the horse but also because of connections. Some prefer their horse to keep finishing second in maiden claimers. The reasoning is that the horse could win once but after that would always be off the board once it faces better animals. I remember a horse called My Friend Bert. I saw him race many times, he should have won many times, but he kept finishing second/third, picking up a nice cheque every month. At some point he won two races in a row, and was retired shortly after. Money in the bank, I suppose..

Bertie's life on the track:

Date: 14-APR-06,Course: GG,CL,Result: 3 / 7
Date: 19-MAR-06,Course: GG,CL,Result: 3 / 6
Date: 05-MAR-06,Course: GG,CL,Result: 1 / 7
Date: 11-FEB-06,Course: GG,MC,Result: 1 / 10
Date: 14-JAN-06,Course: BM,MC,Result: 3 / 7
Date: 26-DEC-05,Course: BM,MC,Result: 3 / 10
Date: 10-DEC-05,Course: GG,MC,Result: 2 / 12
Date: 19-NOV-05,Course: GG,MC,Result: 3 / 12
Date: 29-OCT-05,Course: GG,MC,Result: 2 / 10
Date: 08-OCT-05,Course: BM,MC,Result: 2 / 10
Date: 28-AUG-05,Course: BM,MC,Result: 2 / 11
Date: 04-AUG-05,Course: SR,MC,Result: 3 / 8
Date: 13-JUL-05,Course: SOL,MC,Result: 4 / 7
Date: 19-JUN-05,Course: GG,MC,Result: 2 / 12
Date: 28-MAY-05,Course: GG,MC,Result: 5 / 12
Date: 11-MAY-05,Course: GG,MC,Result: 3 / 7
Date: 27-MAR-05,Course: BM,MC,Result: 5 / 9
Date: 17-FEB-05,Course: BM,MC,Result: 2 / 11
Date: 30-JAN-05,Course: GG,MC,Result: 2 / 8
Date: 31-DEC-04,Course: GG,MC,Result: 6 / 6
Date: 02-DEC-04,Course: GG,MC,Result: 5 / 7
Date: 11-NOV-04,Course: GG,MC,Result: 7 / 7

46zilzal
10-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Maiden races are unique to racing in that the majority are just learning how to run and those that project to be on, or near the lead at the 2nd call, win an inordinate amount of contests.

Same with Md claimers or straight maiden as both show a learning curve via the same route.

Four year olds have to be differentiated by those that have had many starts and failed, to those who were delayed in their first start (usually by injury). The latter have just as much chance, given their learning curve, as the younger ones.

Tom
10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Depends on your track.
At FL, maiden claimers with 20-30 starts are common.
They win.

Robert Goren
10-15-2009, 11:14 AM
First time starters with a fast WO at 5-1 or better can be bet in these type of races. I also like to bet class droppers. When see short priced class dropper who ran good race last out, look for another horse coming out the same race who ran 3-4 lengths in back of him. There is not much difference between horse who ran 3rd-6 1/2 lengths back and a horse who ran 5th- 9 lengths back. You will often see the 3rd place dropper at 4/5 and the 5th place horse at 8-1 or better.

RXB
10-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Maiden races are unique to racing in that the majority are just learning how to run and those that project to be on, or near the lead at the 2nd call, win an inordinate amount of contests.

Same with Md claimers or straight maiden as both show a learning curve via the same route.

Near the front is usually a good place to be in most dirt races, but not quite as crucial in MSW compared to MCL.

classhandicapper
10-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I don't think you should have any hard fast rules regarding 4YO maidens.

Typically, they are horses that have either had physical problems or a lot of races where they showed very little ability. So in general, you will rarely like a horse like this even if it was a 3YO.

Occasionally one will draw into a weak very field where it looks like a standout and none of the lightly raced horses seems likely to improve or has any kind of angle associated with it. On those occasions I am willing to play one. In fact, you may even get an extra tick on the board because so many people just automatically toss them out and go hunting for just about anything to beat it.

Also, keep in mind that in races for very low level horses, the paces tend to be quicker relative to the final time than at the highest level of racing. So in any maiden race (especially a claimer), if you can find a horse that can get loose and slow down the pace, he may improve sharply.

46zilzal
10-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Near the front is usually a good place to be in most dirt races, but not quite as crucial in MSW compared to MCL.
I have never found a difference energy distribution wise with maiden claimer or maiden allowance although the latter usually go on to bigger and better things, but at THIS stage in their career they are learning to run just about in the same fashion.

fmolf
10-19-2009, 03:24 PM
i use ten races as a general guideline age means nothing to me today at med 4th race 4 horse 4 yr old against younger wins in his 17th lifetime start..at 6/1 passed the race

Norm
10-19-2009, 10:05 PM
It's a good idea to check the eligibility rules for maidens at your track. The rules vary considerably from track to track sometimes creating serious incentives for either a win or an ITM finish before year's end. Before tossing an older maiden, check his most recent 1/2 mile time and also see if he is "under the gun" with regard to eligibility, especially late in the year like now.

Some sample rules :
No 5 yo maiden may start.
No 7 yo maiden may start.
No maiden which has not finished 2nd or 3rd in one of his last 10 races may start.

These are just a few random selections of rules from various jurisdictions. There are many different and varied rules. Knowing them will sometimes point out an older shipper coming in desperately looking for a soft spot, trying to remain eligible at his owner's home circuit. If the rules are "soft" at your track, watch for these older shippers that need a win.

Robert Goren
10-20-2009, 12:29 AM
It's a good idea to check the eligibility rules for maidens at your track. The rules vary considerably from track to track sometimes creating serious incentives for either a win or an ITM finish before year's end. Before tossing an older maiden, check his most recent 1/2 mile time and also see if he is "under the gun" with regard to eligibility, especially late in the year like now.

Some sample rules :
No 5 yo maiden may start.
No 7 yo maiden may start.
No maiden which has not finished 2nd or 3rd in one of his last 10 races may start.

These are just a few random selections of rules from various jurisdictions. There are many different and varied rules. Knowing them will sometimes point out an older shipper coming in desperately looking for a soft spot, trying to remain eligible at his owner's home circuit. If the rules are "soft" at your track, watch for these older shippers that need a win. Where can you find out this information?

Norm
10-20-2009, 01:55 AM
Where can you find out this information?
Most often the eligibility rules are included in the stall application form which can be down-loaded from the 'horseman's' section of any track's website. In a few odd instances, the eligibility requirements will be found in a rules booklet published (on-line) by the track or, once I even found it in the condition book.

Greyfox
10-20-2009, 02:06 AM

A Maiden moving to a lower level track.
eg. Woodbine to Fort Erie.

Market Mover
10-20-2009, 03:21 AM

Four year olds have to be differentiated by those that have had many starts and failed, to those who were delayed in their first start (usually by injury). The latter have just as much chance, given their learning curve, as the younger ones.

Agreed. YOu will often see a mature 4 yr old with delayed first start crush younger rivals who are simply plodder types looking to chase the pack...so I would not rule out an older horse simply on his age against 3 yr olds..

redeye007
10-20-2009, 05:57 AM
I'm sure that all this also applies to maiden special weights. a good example was monday 10/12/2009 in the 9th at Oak Tree. #3 raise the river, a 4 yo with at least 10 starts was favored in a maiden special weight event for 3 yo and up and ran 2nd. the winner was a 3yo. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.