PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think Levine should get at least a years suspension?

njcurveball
10-15-2009, 12:55 AM
On September 17, 2009 in the first race at Monmouth, Bruce Levine had two horses. I have went on record and probably always will go on record saying I HATE THE UNCOUPLED ENTRY rule! If a trainer has two horses under his care, they should ALWAYS be coupled in the betting. No excuses, even if it is a Grade 1 stakes race. That debate could go on and on, but here is a good reason to perhaps suspend his license for at least a year maybe more.

He had two horses in that maiden race. #2 Cashing Up who had been taken for a trip around the track in his second start and lost by 11 lengths going a mile. This horse was 9-2 in the morning line. The other half of the uncoupled entry was THIEFonthe run. YES that was the name, THIEF on the run! The horse was just competitive in a 35k maiden claimer at Saratoga, finishing 4th as the favorite.

Todays race was a 10k maiden claimer. The thief wound up 1-9! Cashing wound up 8-1, took the lead, the odds did not drop and he extended his advantage to the wire, paying $19.

Unfortunately for the bettors, we did not know about the ruling below, or perhaps we could have made some cash, as perhaps, the Levine stable did that day.

But he does get a stern WARNING from the stewards! WTF!!!! :eek:

Date:September 25, 2009Ruling Number:09MON96Name:LEVINE, BRUCE (trainer)DOB:19550207RCID:5476
Trainer Bruce Levine is hereby given a formal warning insofar as the horse you train "CASH UP " exceeded the allowable limits of lasix (152.7 ng/mg) as evidenced by the post race blood test given after the 1st race on September 17, 2009, at Monmouth Park Racetrack. Violation of NJAC Rule 13:70-14A.9(e)1. "Administering Medication to Respiratory Bleeders"- Should the stewards determine that any person or persons have violated (d) above, they shall punish the offending party as follows: 1. A trainer and other persons charged with responsibility, including, without limitations, licensed, practicing veterinarians, shall receive a warning for the first violation. BY ORDER OF THE NEW JERSEY RACING COMMISSION BOARD OF STEWARDS

nijinski
10-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Some barns are multiple offenders , not just this one .

They pay a fine after breaking the rules and go right back and do it again.It's
very unfair and I think humiliating to the wagering public.
I recently found a list of Cali trainers who had not in a timely manner reported
gelding their runners. Very annoying;

Definately agree with you on the uncoupled entries rule.

Imriledup
10-15-2009, 01:57 AM
I like the uncoupled entry rules, i think ALL horses should be uncoupled regardless of owner or trainer.

What i do think they should do is to have two seperate betting pools, one with coupled entries and one where they are uncoupled. That way, if you are following a horse who you want to bet and he's coupled with some slug, you're not forced to take a horse you don't want.

I don't do extensive work on the runners to be forced to take a horse i might not want.

I think that there should be an addition to the rule that says a punishment is more severe if the trainer has an uncoupled entry. Sort of like how your traffic fine is doubled if you commit an infraction while driving in a construction area.

lamboguy
10-15-2009, 04:33 AM
why just punish the trainer, the vet gave the lassix to the horse, should the vet know the rules?

onefast99
10-15-2009, 08:35 AM
why just punish the trainer, the vet gave the lassix to the horse, should the vet know the rules?
Excellent point Lambo, the vet seems to walk away scott free in every one of these situations.

Moyers Pond
10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Levine is probably the biggest cheater in the sport. Dutrow gives him a close run.

These guys and their VETERINARIANS know how to supplement their income at the expense of the gambling public.

I would not be shocked if the people that do the testing and the stewards are given a phone call the day their barns send out live runners.

These guys move horses up way too much to be explained by anything but cheating.

illinoisbred
10-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Levine is probably the biggest cheater in the sport. Dutrow gives him a close run.

These guys and their VETERINARIANS know how to supplement their income at the expense of the gambling public.

I would not be shocked if the people that do the testing and the stewards are given a phone call the day their barns send out live runners.

These guys move horses up way too much to be explained by anything but cheating.
Agree, they do move-up way too often to be explained away by good horsemanship.The real question is how long can they and others keep getting away with it.

Moyers Pond
10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Agree, they do move-up way too often to be explained away by good horsemanship.The real question is how long can they and others keep getting away with it.

They get away with it the same way cyclists, track runners, and professional athletes do. They tamper with samples and use drugs that are undetectable.

They are now trying to freeze samples and test them years later once they figure out what they are using, but only in big races, so these guys will continue to cheat.

Many in the industry know they are cheating, they say they just can't catch them in part because drugs like Lasix make it easier to mask what they are using. If Lasix was ever taken out of the sport these guys would crash and burn. It is no coincidence these guys rose at the time 1 or 2 horses would run on Lasix to a time when now all horses run on it. It is really ridiculous that every horse runs on Lasix.

illinoisbred
10-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I think Jack Van Berg got it right when he basically said anything but hay, oats and water is cheating. What you said in regards to lasix[masking other substances],I've heard for years. Here in the upper midwest one hears about "new" undetectable and untested for drugs always coming in from Canada. Is it the truth or just a rumor, I don't know.

lamboguy
10-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I think Jack Van Berg got it right when he basically said anything but hay, oats and water is cheating. What you said in regards to lasix[masking other substances],I've heard for years. Here in the upper midwest one hears about "new" undetectable and untested for drugs always coming in from Canada. Is it the truth or just a rumor, I don't know.sometimes its the truth!

there is no such thing as a drug that is rocket fuel. but there are drugs that can help a horse with his oxygen intake and drugs that help the pain. both are temporary and in long run no good for horse and no good for the whole game.

Robert Goren
10-15-2009, 10:21 AM
I think Jack Van Berg got it right when he basically said anything but hay, oats and water is cheating. What you said in regards to lasix[masking other substances],I've heard for years. Here in the upper midwest one hears about "new" undetectable and untested for drugs always coming in from Canada. Is it the truth or just a rumor, I don't know.He should know. His dad was a pioneer in this sort of thing. The Von Humels are also good with "wrong horse winning" uncouple entries. In the way that horse racing is run today, it is live and learn. The next time see a Lavine uncouple entry, you now know which one to bet. Of course I already did. This is one of the ways I make money. I learn alot of the tricks of the trade at the now defunct great school of horse race betting Aksarben.

proximity
10-15-2009, 10:28 AM
what if i liked "cash up" at say 5-1 or 6-1?

the horse is 8-1 (so i can bet the race) but you want me to have to take 1-9 on him?

Brogan
10-15-2009, 11:22 AM
The vet got the same "penalty"...

"Veterinarian Dr. William Keegan is hereby given a formal warning insofar as the horse you treated "CASH UP " exceeded the allowable limits of lasix (152.7 ng/mg) as evidenced by the post race blood test given after the 1st race on September 17, 2009, at Monmouth Park Racetrack. Violation of NJAC Rule 13:70-14A.9(e)1. "Administering Medication to Respiratory Bleeders"- Should the stewards determine that any person or persons have violated (d) above, they shall punish the offending party as follows: 1. A trainer and other persons charged with responsibility, including, without limitations, licensed, practicing veterinarians, shall receive a warning for the first violation. BY ORDER OF THE NEW JERSEY RACING COMMISSION"

BIG49010
10-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I think Jack Van Berg got it right when he basically said anything but hay, oats and water is cheating. What you said in regards to lasix[masking other substances],I've heard for years. Here in the upper midwest one hears about "new" undetectable and untested for drugs always coming in from Canada. Is it the truth or just a rumor, I don't know.

I think Jack, who I know for a fact was one of the first cheaters with additional products to prevent bleeding, has been in such financial straights for years that he hasn't kept up with all the necessary drugs, hyperbarics, and suplements necessary to win. The trainers that are winning, spend the money to make their horses go fast. You want to stop the cheats, cut the purses, and the owners will stop spending the money with vets. I know for a fact, many vet bills are higher than the training bills, you didn't see that 10 years ago.

Brogan
10-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Btw, who says its the vet who administered the overage??? He's merely on record as administering the regular Lasix.

Valuist
10-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Caveat emptor to the bettor re: uncoupled entries. We're all aware of it, and we've seen many instances of not just cheap races but even the KY Derby being won by the higher priced of an uncoupled entry. With that said, there's no sympathy to anyone who loses money under those conditions.

hazzardm
10-15-2009, 03:28 PM
what if i liked "cash up" at say 5-1 or 6-1?

the horse is 8-1 (so i can bet the race) but you want me to have to take 1-9 on him?

Grindstone shoulda been about 15-1 winning the Derby, but the public liked Editor's Note, thus he paid a lowly 9-2 I think it was. I loved Grindstone :(

fmhealth
10-15-2009, 04:05 PM
NJ, as Valuist has stated, isn't this situation actually an advantage for the bettor? I always play the longest price in an uncoupled entry. I believe they have a higher strike rate than would be anticipated.

Your point on the unsavory aspect of this strategy is certainly right on target. I suggest we 'cappers simply use it to our advantage. Be well!

bks
10-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Is this the race Thiefontherun broke down?

Mineshaft
10-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Horse was probably a bad bleeder thus the overage of Lasix.

Brogan
10-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Horse was probably a bad bleeder thus the overage of Lasix.
So the ones with ankle trouble can get an overage of bute?

bisket
10-15-2009, 09:05 PM
an overage of lasix doesn't give a horse any competitive edge!! although this is what is likely to occur after an overage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnT8hICaiNM&feature=related

The Hawk
10-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Is this the race Thiefontherun broke down?

Yes, in deep stretch.

njcurveball
10-16-2009, 12:12 AM
NJ, as Valuist has stated, isn't this situation actually an advantage for the bettor?

Well it certainly is an advantage for the trainer, that is for sure. :bang:

Pace7joe
10-16-2009, 05:26 PM
On September 17, 2009 in the first race at Monmouth, Bruce Levine had two horses. I have went on record and probably always will go on record saying I HATE THE UNCOUPLED ENTRY rule! If a trainer has two horses under his care, they should ALWAYS be coupled in the betting. No excuses, even if it is a Grade 1 stakes race. That debate could go on and on, but here is a good reason to perhaps suspend his license for at least a year maybe more.

He had two horses in that maiden race. #2 Cashing Up who had been taken for a trip around the track in his second start and lost by 11 lengths going a mile. This horse was 9-2 in the morning line. The other half of the uncoupled entry was THIEFonthe run. YES that was the name, THIEF on the run! The horse was just competitive in a 35k maiden claimer at Saratoga, finishing 4th as the favorite.

Todays race was a 10k maiden claimer. The thief wound up 1-9! Cashing wound up 8-1, took the lead, the odds did not drop and he extended his advantage to the wire, paying $19.

Unfortunately for the bettors, we did not know about the ruling below, or perhaps we could have made some cash, as perhaps, the Levine stable did that day.

But he does get a stern WARNING from the stewards! WTF!!!! :eek:

Date:September 25, 2009Ruling Number:09MON96Name:LEVINE, BRUCE (trainer)DOB:19550207RCID:5476
Trainer Bruce Levine is hereby given a formal warning insofar as the horse you train "CASH UP " exceeded the allowable limits of lasix (152.7 ng/mg) as evidenced by the post race blood test given after the 1st race on September 17, 2009, at Monmouth Park Racetrack. Violation of NJAC Rule 13:70-14A.9(e)1. "Administering Medication to Respiratory Bleeders"- Should the stewards determine that any person or persons have violated (d) above, they shall punish the offending party as follows: 1. A trainer and other persons charged with responsibility, including, without limitations, licensed, practicing veterinarians, shall receive a warning for the first violation. BY ORDER OF THE NEW JERSEY RACING COMMISSION BOARD OF STEWARDS

njcurveball

I join this forum some time ago. And this is my first post. But, this thread is
one that really interest me. Because, I often wondered where to find info on
trainers/vets who have had official rulings against them. For example, we will
often see in the PP's the comment 'Previously Trained By.....?'. And I have often wondered (if the horse is running on the same curcuit) if the trainer
has been suspended, and now the horse is trained by his assistant. Is this
information about these rulings public knowledge obtainable on the internet? If so where can one go to get it. Are they (the rulings) on the web site for
state the track is running in, or in some other global location?

P.S.

From your user name, I assume you are from N.J. (I live In Central Jersey). And I go back a long way as a recreational horse player. I remenber when there no Sunday racing no simulcast and when the Telegraph became the Racing Form and I would go out to Hightstown and get 'form" for the next days races. But, this has been a turn around year for me and finding this
web site has been a teasure.

Bye the way, a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you PA.

Thanks
Joe

GaryG
10-16-2009, 05:43 PM
I see Levine is 0 for 13 at Med with a lot of short priced horses as usual.

Brogan
10-16-2009, 07:02 PM
njcurveball

I join this forum some time ago. And this is my first post. But, this thread is
one that really interest me. Because, I often wondered where to find info on
trainers/vets who have had official rulings against them. For example, we will
often see in the PP's the comment 'Previously Trained By.....?'. And I have often wondered (if the horse is running on the same curcuit) if the trainer
has been suspended, and now the horse is trained by his assistant. Is this
information about these rulings public knowledge obtainable on the internet? If so where can one go to get it. Are they (the rulings) on the web site for
state the track is running in, or in some other global location?

Joe
You can get NJ rulings at:

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/racing/

Pace7joe
10-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks

fmhealth
10-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Here are some recent stats on Levine that readers may find interesting. Thanks again to Alan over at www.leftatthegate.com

http://leftatthegate.blogspot.com/