PDA

View Full Version : New Movie: SECRETARIAT!

tzipi
10-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Can't wait for this one. Release date is Sept or Oct of 2010.
It's the story of Penny Chenery and Sec. I think it's going to be almost same as Seabiscuit as the story before him and then leading into him coming along and doing what he did. Will start with Penny Chenery who is going to be played by Diane Lane.
Fred Thomspon= Bull Hancock
Dylan Walsh= Ron Turcotte
Kevin Connely= Bill Nack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretariat_(film)

Should be great!

joanied
10-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Can't wait for this one. Release date is Sept or Oct of 2010.
It's the story of Penny Chenery and Sec. I think it's going to be almost same as Seabiscuit as the story before him and then leading into him coming along and doing what he did. Will start with Penny Chenery who is going to be played by Diane Lane.
Fred Thomspon= Bull Hancock
Dylan Walsh= Ron Turcotte
Kevin Connely= Bill Nack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretariat_(film)

Should be great!

I don't have time to look it up...but are you sure Dylan Walsh is playing Turcotte?? I thought they cast him for one of the journalists/repoters...can't remember, but I'm sure it isn't the part of Ronnie...they have all the news on the movie at Secretariat.com

I can't wait either!!!

tzipi
10-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Your right,Dylan Walsh is Jack Tweedy. Not sure then who is going to play Turcotte.

joanied
10-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Your right,Dylan Walsh is Jack Tweedy. Not sure then who is going to play Turcotte.

Right...prob'ly a small part...I can't even guess who will play Ronnie or Eddie Sweat...maybe Don Cheattle would be a good choice for Eddie...
do you know who they cast for Lucien's part...unbeleivable to me...John Malkovich...can you beleive that? He has no resemblence to Lucien at all, plus he must be at least a foot taller than Lucien was...I don't know how they will pull it off...just a strange person to cast as little Lucien.

tzipi
10-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Eddie Sweat will be played by Nelsan Ellis who was on Tv show Without A Trace and in the movies The Express and The Soloist.

bigmack
10-12-2009, 05:34 PM
imdb.com is the place to see who's playing what in any film. Ain't no answer for who is playing Turcotte.

Don't know if it's floating around here:

ig6mVScZ4bc

e01dC6UWXx8

Sec had a bud named Phil Silver?

Who is this guy and how did he decide to buy/wear that jacket?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_12_09_14_21_01.png

bisket
10-12-2009, 07:36 PM
i can't wait for the movie. secratariat was the best racehorse ever :p even better than affirmed :kiss:

Bochall
10-12-2009, 07:46 PM
They are filming at the old Evangeline Downs location in Carencro, Louisiana. the new track is in another parish that allows slots (go figure). A scene that is supposed to be Aqueduct is actually Blackham Coliseum in Lafayette, La where the local college hoops team used to play. More filming will obviously be done in Kentucky, but they are currently in Lafayette.

joanied
10-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I hope it looks like the Big A ;)

joanied
10-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Big Mack....thanks:ThmbUp: for posting the video's...haven't had time to watch them yet...but I will:jump:

I don't know who that guy is...but me thinks he's a little:eek: strange:D

speed
10-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Otto Thorworth is Ron Turcotte

WinterTriangle
10-13-2009, 01:23 AM
They are filming at the old Evangeline Downs location in Carencro, Louisiana. More filming will obviously be done in Kentucky, but they are currently in Lafayette.

I'm going! I used to live there and my sister has a house there.

One of my other friends sent a head shot of her horse when they were planning the movie.....horse is big, and red, very much looks like Secretariat.

does anyone know WHO is playing Secretariat? Thats the most important character, but ya'll only mentioned.......mere humans. :lol:

bigmack
10-13-2009, 02:02 AM
does anyone know WHO is playing Secretariat? Thats the most important character, but ya'll only mentioned.......mere humans. :lol:
Say hey to Larry

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_12_09_22_57_37.png

North Dakota Horse Park General Manager Heather Benson knew she had the right horse when she heard what Disney was seeking.
“They were looking for a big, bright chestnut Thoroughbred with a happy attitude and good health and Larry fit that to a T,” said Heather. “We sent in his photos and biography to their website, www.secretariat.com, and a week later Larry got the call to Hollywood!”

Disney Head Wrangler, Rusty Hendrickson will have three-year-old Larry shipped to the Kentucky-based training center sometime during the week of August 28. Until then, the new Hollywood “star” will reside at the North Dakota Horse Park and remain in training.

Heather said that Larry will need some help from a makeup artist to match Secretariat in the markings department; Disney countered with "no problem!"

Larry proudly paraded in front of the grandstand yesterday at the races, though he probably wondered what all the fuss was about. The track celebrated his good fortune with dollar beer and hot dogs, and a turnout of 2500 racing fans for a 12-race card, too.

It sounds like Larry comes from a pretty great place. The horse park is unique in that it is a racetrack but also the site of the North Dakota State University Equine Sciences Department.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cyclone-Larry/122695092357

http://special.equisearch.com/blog/horsehealth/labels/Secretariat.html

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Looks like they'll need to cover that giant scar, or only shoot him from the left side...

Java Gold@TFT
10-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Looks like they'll need to cover that giant scar, or only shoot him from the left side...
Hollywood does miracles with makeup whether it is human or animals. Last I read they have 5 Secretariat body doubles. Every one of them will have the familiar blaze and 3 white socks.

joanied
10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
All equine movies are made using several horses for the star horse in the movie...makeup, makeup, makeup.
The one thing that gets me is when the 'star' horse in a movie is supposed to be a colt and you see that a filly has been used in certain scenes...or visa-versa...
the 'Hell Bitch' in Lonesome Dove...was a gelding:)

PS...talking about the magic of makeup...they have cast John Malkavich as Lucien Lauren...how they are going to make him up to resemble Lucien is beyond me...especially the difference in how tall they are...this is one I can't get a grip on:eek:

joanied
10-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Otto Thorworth is Ron Turcotte

Who:confused:

Grits
10-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Joanie, he's a midwest jock. Rode Keeneland last year, if I recall. Don't know which track he's currently riding.

bigmack
10-13-2009, 12:48 PM
No Google in WY?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_13_09_09_45_28.png

http://www.turfway.com/uploads/bios/bios-1-24-2009-14-55-50.JPG

joanied
10-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Joanie, he's a midwest jock. Rode Keeneland last year, if I recall. Don't know which track he's currently riding.

Thank you, Grits...appreciate it.
:) :) :)

I hope he can act...ol' Gary Stevens did a really good acting job in Seabiscuit...

joanied
10-13-2009, 12:58 PM
No Google in WY?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_13_09_09_45_28.png

http://www.turfway.com/uploads/bios/bios-1-24-2009-14-55-50.JPG

Very funny... what could be better than a nice sarcastic remark...truth be known...I had chores to do and didn't have time now to look him up... but thanks for the 'bio'...

Lasix67
10-13-2009, 10:14 PM
My wife and I just bought the ice rink located right across the interstate from the Evangeline Downs Training facility(former Evangeline Downs). Ironically they filmed the Aqueduct scenes at Blackham Monday, just as the new local minor league hockey Team, the IceGators we beginning their tryouts, so they had to move their tryouts to our rink and ended up scheduling thru Friday because Disney productions screwed up the ice they just put down. That's good for us as Disney is paying for the IceGators ice time. After I zam the ice and drive outside to dump the snow, I can see where they have built a replica of Churchill Downs famous winners circle tower that is on the infield. Diana Lane just got into town and has been spotted at some local food hangouts. Pretty exciting stuff, and I believe Kathy Bates is scheduled to be filming here as well.

CincyHorseplayer
10-14-2009, 03:44 AM

They call him "Ottomatic" Thorwarth in this state.Haven't seen him much this season though??

cj
10-03-2010, 01:04 PM
I saw this last night. It was ok I guess, but I wouldn't go beyond that. I hate when the story is changed for dramatic effect when it really isn't needed.

illinoisbred
10-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I think Thorworth retired. A while ago,Arlington had a race pitting current riders against those retired. Thorworth filled in for an injured Gary Stevens on the retired side.

jognlope
10-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Just saw a program on Secretariat on ESPN, really well done, had Crist, Mack, sports writers, even owner of Bloodhorse, who said when he moved to Kentucky, before even getting a place or doing anything, he went right to Clairborne and saw Secretariat and how Sec posed for pictures like the ham he was.

Badactor
10-05-2010, 07:51 PM
At The Box Office last weekend,
THE SOCIAL NETWORK galloped home a winner...

In Movie Theaters:
October 1, 2010 (2,771 theaters)
Total Box Office: $22,445,653 in U.S. and Canada
------------------------------------------------------------

This weekend...
ENTRIES: (October 8)
Life As We Know It [3,100 theaters]
My Soul to Take [2,400 theaters]
Secretariat [2,500 theaters]
Down Terrace [2 theaters]
I Spit On Your Grave [Limited]
Inside Job [NY]
It's a Wonderful Afterlife [21 theaters]
It's Kind of a Funny Story [NY/LA]
Nowhere Boy [4 theaters]
Stone [6 theaters]
Tamara Drewe [Limited]

http://www.themovieinsider.com/movies/october/2010/
------------------------------------------------------------

CAN SECRETARIAT WIN THE WEEKEND against the likes of Wes Craven & Katherine Heigl?

The movieinsider Snap Poll sets the OVER/UNDER @ 15M for the Secretariat premiere.

WILL DISNEY'S TELLING OF "The Impossible True Story" TAKE TOP SPOT FROM FACEBOOK FLICK?

mountainman
10-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I wonder if Allen Jerkins found the film over-hyped?

cj
10-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I wonder if Allen Jerkins found the film over-hyped?

Come on, it is Jerkens. I can't let that one go. :)

Trotman
10-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm going this weekend to see it but CJ you probably are accurate in your view as I thought the same, so much would be added for dramatic effect when the original copy was so good that it will leave me somewhat disappointed.

mountainman
10-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Come on, it is Jerkens. I can't let that one go. :)

What makes it worse is I know the guy.

cj
10-06-2010, 03:19 PM
What makes it worse is I know the guy.You have to love The Chief!

mountainman
10-06-2010, 04:09 PM
You have to love The Chief!

I'm confused man. Are we talking about Jerkens, or Art Rooney SR ??
Taking a wild guess that you're NOT a steeler-fan.

cj
10-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm confused man. Are we talking about Jerkens, or Art Rooney SR ??
Taking a wild guess that you're NOT a steeler-fan.

NOT would be correct.

mountainman
10-06-2010, 04:22 PM
NOT would be correct.

Great. Should spark lively debate down the road.

bigmack
10-06-2010, 04:23 PM
NOT would be correct.
You're biased.
(Take two)

cj
10-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Great. Should spark lively debate down the road.

Not really, unless they are playing the Giants.

mountainman
10-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Not really, unless they are playing the Giants.

Unlikely for obvious reasons.

Stillriledup
10-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Love Big Red, Love Penny but good god, TVG is pimping the you know what out of this. Its getting annoying now.

tucker6
10-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Love Big Red, Love Penny but good god, TVG is pimping the you know what out of this. Its getting annoying now.so is youtube. At least Disney can market well in new mediums..

bigmack
10-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Typical Village Voice review:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_7_10_11_27_44.png

tucker6
10-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I understand that taking poetic license is par for the course, but making Red an underdog?? He was blue blood through and through, and descended from one of the great TB bloodlines. Nothing about his life ever pointed to him being a plow horse. When people on the backstretch during your initial training are whispering about you, then you aren't an underdog.

Horseplayersbet.com
10-07-2010, 04:09 PM
I understand that taking poetic license is par for the course, but making Red an underdog?? He was blue blood through and through, and descended from one of the great TB bloodlines. Nothing about his life ever pointed to him being a plow horse. When people on the backstretch during your initial training are whispering about you, then you aren't an underdog.
I don't recall Secretariat ever being the underdog. And I totally disagree with the poetic license in changing the results of the Wood.

If the movie was made in 15 years, maybe they would have had Secretariat losing to Zenyatta in the Wood. And it would have been run on Polytrack instead.

tucker6
10-07-2010, 04:39 PM
If the movie was made in 15 years, maybe they would have had Secretariat losing to Zenyatta in the Wood. And it would have been run on Polytrack instead.I can see Secretariat now banging his head against the back wall of his stall, whinnying about how he lost to the Queen, and worrying about losing HOY honors.

It's hard to get the girls if you lose to them. :lol:

tzipi
10-09-2010, 11:11 PM
So I heard they cut out alot the race call of the Belmont to blare "Oh Happy Day" the Gospel song and that they also don't show the Preakness race. Anyone see it yet?

Johnny V
10-10-2010, 12:43 AM
So I heard they cut out alot the race call of the Belmont to blare "Oh Happy Day" the Gospel song and that they also don't show the Preakness race. Anyone see it yet?
I saw the movie Friday and I enjoyed it. There is the usual artistic license in these movies but it was a good movie overall IMO. They showed the Preakness but it was shown with the Tweedy family watching it on TV. The Belmont was filmed at Keenland and I thought the portrayal of Frank Martin was over the top. The Wood was shown with Secretariat finishing third behind Sham and Angle Light but the the general impression if someone was not paying close attention was that maybe Sham won.
There was a good crowd at the movie I was at and it seemed well received as there was clapping at the end.

trackrat59
10-10-2010, 08:41 AM
I saw the movie on Friday. I loved it. One great surprise was Otto Thorworth. He was terrific. :ThmbUp: If you're on this board you should go see the movie. How often is there a new movie out about horse racing? We should all support the movie while it's at the box office. :jump:

No, not all the facts are 100% correct. I found myself not caring so much because I was so entertained during the movie. In the end, I had tears in my eyes. :( Just remembering back to 1973 and Big Red.

KingChas
10-10-2010, 10:01 AM
It was ok,though the title could have been
"The life and times of Penny Chenery Tweedy".
One thing that the producers set up that made me laugh was after every race Turcotte returned covered with mud/dirt even on dry sunny days.
Of course that set it up for the Belmont,when he returned sparkling.
And a cameo by the real Penny in the stands behind Diane.
Check it out.

fast4522
10-10-2010, 11:01 AM
My wife and I watched it Saturday morning, we both enjoyed it. Sure it was not 100% accurate, but I think it did reflect very strong personalties. Diane Lane was great for this part and John Malkovich also fit well in this movie.

FantasticDan
10-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Weekend numbers are out.. opened in 3rd place with a ho-hum $12.6M..

Those have to be seriously disappointing numbers for Disney, especially given the largely positive reviews and aggressive marketing campaign.

PhotogPhanatic
10-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Somewhere I read that Penny recently said "Remember, this is a Disney Movie", so expect the unexpected! Best moment in the movie was when Turcotte looked over his left shoulder at the rest of the field, and "the flash" went off. The flash wasn't accurate, but it signified "the photo heard round the world" of Secretariat winning the Belmont as Ron looked over his should, any my dad on the finish line stand snapping that photo with a Speed Graphic.

joanied
10-10-2010, 01:25 PM
It hasn't hit the theaters here in my area of WY. yet...but I'm sure it will, maybe next week...considering this is horse country, I'd expect the theaters will do good with it around here.
We rarely go to the theater...made exceptions for certain ones, like the Lord of the Rings triolgy, and i will go to see this one...just to boost box office, since that 12+million seems awful low.
I think they will make up for low box office return once it gets onto a DVD.
I'll over look all the liberties they took, like Sham winning the Wood, and I look foward to Thoroworth's acting...but for some reason the two things that'll probably bother me most is the Preakness being shown on the families TV...won't that kind of ruin the effect of Secretariats incredible move on the backstretch? And the belmont...I hope 'Oh, happy Day' isn't as bad as I think it'll be...I was thinking they'd use some sort of grand music like some of the westerns have...or like the music they used in the movie Casey's Shadow...the music for his run, in slow motion, winning the All American was awesome...and, I hope since I've read they don't use the entire call that they do use "he's moving like a tremendous machine", which for me has to be the greatest call sentence ever used.

Dave Schwartz
10-10-2010, 06:21 PM
We saw the movie today and, of course, loved it.

My biggest disappointment is how they had to make the races appear to be closer than they really were.

If ever there was a story that should have been told with real accuracy it was this one. Still, a great movie experience.

Grits
10-11-2010, 01:15 AM
I saw the movie on Friday. I loved it. One great surprise was Otto Thorworth. He was terrific. :ThmbUp: If you're on this board you should go see the movie. How often is there a new movie out about horse racing? We should all support the movie while it's at the box office. :jump:

No, not all the facts are 100% correct. I found myself not caring so much because I was so entertained during the movie. In the end, I had tears in my eyes. :( Just remembering back to 1973 and Big Red.

I felt much the same Sunday afternoon. I enjoyed it a great deal. I was happy, content to be watching this story about THIS racehorse. All the actors portrayed their characters well. I particularly liked the Southerness of Elizabeth Hamm.

I enjoyed, while bathing "Red," the music and dancing to "Oh Happy Day," blaring on the radio. It was a fun moment at the barn. But at the film's end, no, not so much . . . . the song took away from the historical significance, from the 2:24 flat never before run. From the remarkable feat Secretariat had just achieved. Still, I had eyes full of tears.

And the small foaling barn in the film . . . . its identical to the original I walked all around, one afternoon years ago at Meadow. That alone, made me smile.

andymays
10-11-2010, 09:31 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/secretariat-opening-weekend-box-office-may-fall-short/

Excerpt:

Based on early projections, the Disney movie Secretariat brought in about $12 million in its opening weekend, making it the third-highest grossing film nationwide.

Disney executives may have been hoping for a bit better result, based on previous sports movie releases, which have seen numbers closer to $15-20 million for their opening weekends.

andymays
10-11-2010, 10:08 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/celebritology/2010/10/weekend_box_office_the_social.html

Excerpt:

"Secretariat," the Disney take on the famous thoroughbred's road to victory, trailed in third place with $12.6 million, which, for the record, is $8.3 million less than "Seabiscuit" made out of the gate in the summer of 2003.

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2010, 11:45 AM
I wonder what the average box office take was in 2003 compared to 2010. My guess is 2003 is much higher. Plus it was a summer release, meaning more kids were out of school and more parents were bringing kids to see that one...

There are other elements of the marketing of this film that I don't agree with and which might have been detrimental to its success. For instance, does it not appear that this film (at least in its marketing) seems to be targeting more of a female audience?

Ocala Mike
10-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Saw it last night with free tickets, and got my money's worth. Besides the obvious complaints that many have already noted (factual inaccuracies, filming locations, cartoonish characters, etc.), I thought I was watching a TV sitcom where all the women are portrayed as strong (Penny Tweedy Chenery), down-to-earth (Miss Ham), or save-the-world do-gooders (Kate Tweedy) while most of the men are senile, eccentric, sexist, dysfunctional siblings, or downright criminal.

Positive surprises were the performances of Otto Thorwarth as Turcotte and Margo Martindale as Miss Ham.

Bottom-line: Horse as underdog was done way better in "Seabiscuit"; woman as underdog is a bit hackneyed.

Ocala Mike

JustRalph
10-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Now this is a movie review......... thanks Mike!

Saw it last night with free tickets, and got my money's worth. Besides the obvious complaints that many have already noted (factual inaccuracies, filming locations, cartoonish characters, etc.), I thought I was watching a TV sitcom where all the women are portrayed as strong (Penny Tweedy Chenery), down-to-earth (Miss Ham), or save-the-world do-gooders (Kate Tweedy) while most of the men are senile, eccentric, sexist, dysfunctional siblings, or downright criminal.

Positive surprises were the performances of Otto Thorwarth as Turcotte and Margo Martindale as Miss Ham.

Bottom-line: Horse as underdog was done way better in "Seabiscuit"; woman as underdog is a bit hackneyed.

Ocala Mike

tzipi
10-11-2010, 06:43 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/celebritology/2010/10/weekend_box_office_the_social.html

Excerpt:

"Secretariat," the Disney take on the famous thoroughbred's road to victory, trailed in third place with $12.6 million, which, for the record, is $8.3 million less than "Seabiscuit" made out of the gate in the summer of 2003.

Seabiscuit took in $20 million the first week than took in $30 million the second. Not many movies make more money in their second week. A great movie and done in such a classic manner, that people continued to see it and spread the word. It ended up around $120 million all together.
The best thing is Seabiscuit did all this with all the big summer special effects movies out there and all the big childrens/Pixar movies. Although I think Seabiscuit took in way more adults than younger children.

blind squirrel
10-11-2010, 10:25 PM
i just saw the movie...i thought it was a very entertaining movie.
Diane lane{oh yeah,i was having naughty thoughts},john malkovich{very funny}. the big surprise was Otto Thorwarth,
"very good" as Ron Turcotte..Otto is a better actor
than Gary Stevens was in Seabiscuit...while the story of "Big
Red" saving Meadow Farm is a joke{Riva Ridge actually saved
the farm}...it was good to see Horse Racing
a "positive" light... Hey it's a Disney movie,you know going in
what to expect! :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
10-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Rush on secretariat movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXrh0Fjj5M&sns=em

KingChas
10-14-2010, 01:54 AM
One thing that I didn't catch in the movie was this,

"At one point, while insulting the colt’s heritage, the Beyer character leaned on Secretariat. Actually leaned on the damn horse, as if he was a high-backed sofa. Secretariat promptly peed on Andy Beyer’s shoe, much to the delight of the theater audience.

Didn't miss the scene,
But I knew the one portrayer was Nack,didn't realize the other was a young AB.
Anyone else not figure that out either? :eek:
Now I have to buy the dvd.

J Hovdey review DRF.
http://www.drf.com/news/its-tough-do-legend-justice-screen

joanied
10-14-2010, 04:57 PM
I just looked at the slide show of the production photos (via PA front page)...in the scnen where they are filming the Belmont...a sign with 'Saratoga' on it hangs over the tote board...
someone please tell me you can't see that sign in the movie!!!!

KingChas
10-14-2010, 11:52 PM
I just looked at the slide show of the production photos (via PA front page)...in the scnen where they are filming the Belmont...a sign with 'Saratoga' on it hangs over the tote board...

I don't remember.
That's why I have to buy the dvd,I am sure I will see more things I missed on the big screen.
Not that it matters,just curious.
It was still a nice little movie.

Investorater
10-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Just arrived home from the theater, and as a horseplayer must say I thoroughly

enjoyed the Secretariat movie. (Not as good as Sea Biscuit) It recieves the :ThmbUp:

:ThmbUp: with a 5 * * * * * star rating.

Joanied, looking forward to reading your review.

joanied
10-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't remember.
That's why I have to buy the dvd,I am sure I will see more things I missed on the big screen.
Not that it matters,just curious.
It was still a nice little movie.

:D Well, maybe someone else will reply that does remember...but surely, that Saratoga sign can't be in that scene in the movie:bang:

I hope the DVD comes out realy soon...so far, it's not in any theaters around here...might be playing up north of us in Billings, Montana...it's a good size city...

joanied
10-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Just arrived home from the theater, and as a horseplayer must say I thoroughly

enjoyed the Secretariat movie. (Not as good as Sea Biscuit) It recieves the :ThmbUp:

:ThmbUp: with a 5 * * * * * star rating.

Joanied, looking forward to reading your review.

Investorater...good to know you enjoyed it. The reviews have been all over the place, and I've read so much about all the changes and how they did this or that...and I'm bummed they ended it with the Belmont, because I thought his race in Canada would be so perfect for the ending...Big Red flying down the stretch, out of the misty fog into history!!
I'll for sure post about it after I do see it...and Seabiscuit had it's share of corny stuff too...yet, I loved the movie and have it on DVD.
:)

chickenhead
10-17-2010, 12:48 PM
didn't think much of it. They didn't really establish much about the horse in a way that you'd care. Not very well done, the ESPN Sports Century about his Belmont on Youtube is 10x better than anything in the movie.

I suppose it's tough to make a movie about a horse, rather than people. So they make the horse a prop to hang a people-story on.

Not using the original calls was a mistake. They nicely used the actual Preakness footage, but nothing else. They used the actual calls as a script, but the originals were so much more nuanced and tasty. I'd have found a way to use much more actual footage, even just to play it as the credits rolled.

saratoga guy
10-17-2010, 01:15 PM

Do you mean this photo?

http://media-file.net/10/secretariat/images/857_D_10417.jpg

Was it labeled as being part of the filming of The Belmont? -- Because they do show one of his races from "Saratoga" (the Hopeful if I remember correctly) - and that's where the toteboard shows up in the movie. So if the online pic you saw was labeled "Belmont filming" it was just labeled incorrectly.

joanied
10-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Do you mean this photo?

http://media-file.net/10/secretariat/images/857_D_10417.jpg

Was it labeled as being part of the filming of The Belmont? -- Because they do show one of his races from "Saratoga" (the Hopeful if I remember correctly) - and that's where the toteboard shows up in the movie. So if the online pic you saw was labeled "Belmont filming" it was just labeled incorrectly.

That's the one...it said under it "the filming of the Belmont"...good to know they just put in the wrong caption.
It's a shame they couldn't film at Belmont...no way can any track compare to it in scope, and IMO, you need that huge oval to fully appreciate the race.

joanied
10-17-2010, 02:04 PM
didn't think much of it. They didn't really establish much about the horse in a way that you'd care. Not very well done, the ESPN Sports Century about his Belmont on Youtube is 10x better than anything in the movie.

I suppose it's tough to make a movie about a horse, rather than people. So they make the horse a prop to hang a people-story on.

Not using the original calls was a mistake. They nicely used the actual Preakness footage, but nothing else. They used the actual calls as a script, but the originals were so much more nuanced and tasty. I'd have found a way to use much more actual footage, even just to play it as the credits rolled.

Are you saying that hey don't use "he's moving like a tremendous machine" in the Belmont call???
No way they could not use that line...one of the greatest ever used in a race call.

BluegrassProf
10-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Are you saying that hey don't use "he's moving like a tremendous machine" in the Belmont call???
No way they could not use that line...one of the greatest ever used in a race call.They do, but it's not the original call. Callfail.

As a whole, the Belmont scene was an almost symphonic disaster. Difficult moment to recreate, no doubt, but damn...some effort woulda been nice.

As a general assessment, the film was simply not good - not as a racing film, not as a mindless saccharine romp, not at all.

Turns out, best thing to come from the thing is the poster. Low expectations aside, yikes...what a disappointment.

saratoga guy
10-17-2010, 02:47 PM
As a whole, the Belmont scene was an almost symphonic disaster. Difficult moment to recreate, no doubt, but damn

The poor choice in that scene - in my opinion - was the choice of music. The gospel music as he comes down the stretch in the Belmont just didn't have the evocative impact you want from a film score. It really took the emotional punch out of the scene.

saratoga guy
10-17-2010, 02:50 PM
It's a shame they couldn't film at Belmont

I would guess that the location choices - with a lot of the action being filmed at the Evangeline Downs Training Center - had a lot to do with their budget.

chickenhead
10-17-2010, 03:06 PM
The poor choice in that scene - in my opinion - was the choice of music. The gospel music as he comes down the stretch in the Belmont just didn't have the evocative impact you want from a film score. It really took the emotional punch out of the scene.

It was so out of place it kind of underscores that they didn't have much of a clue what they were doing. But the entire movie felt that way to me, they lacked generating any authentic feeling around the horse or his performances, any granduer, anywhere, really.

Skipping his 2 yo season, other than "Look he won HOY, cool!" Terrible casting and performance by the young Bill Nack, huge lost opportunity, that's the guy that could have put things in context, he came off like an imbecile.

In the same way that Hillenbrand took a little known story and turned it into a great thing, this movie kind of does the exact opposite, takes a well known story and turns it into a nothing.

BluegrassProf
10-17-2010, 06:31 PM
In the same way that Hillenbrand took a little known story and turned it into a great thing, this movie kind of does the exact opposite, takes a well known story and turns it into a nothing.This may well be the very best summary I've heard thus far.

:ThmbUp:

joanied
10-18-2010, 10:20 AM
I've read so many reviews, but the ones here are the ones I pay most attention to, for obvious reasons...I beleive when I get a chance to see the movie, I am going to be disappionted.
As far as the last scene, where he wins the Belmont, at least that should leave the audience with tears in their eyes...as soon as I read about that music they use, I felt the scene probably lost any impact it could have had.
Didn't anyone tell those guys how important a soundtrack is to a movie? I thought, "oh, Happy Days'...what IS that? Jeeze.
There are hundreds of great soundtracks they could have taken a cue from...many come to mind, but for a race horse movie, the music they played during the All American in the movie 'Casey's Shadow' is the kind of orchestra music they should have used for Secretariat.

Investorater
10-18-2010, 11:22 AM
We must not forget this is a Disney movie.

Horseplayersbet.com
10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
What I find funny about Rush's rant is that he now knows the true back story.

Yeah right :lol:

Ocala Mike
10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Agree totally that they struck out with regard to a musical score for this film. Not that I wanted it to be a tearjerker, but the guy who wrote the score for "Marley & Me," Theodore Shapiro, could have done wonders here. His stuff is alternately lively, tender, emotional, and evocative when it needs to be. Again, probably budgetary considerations.

As far as use of "Oh Happy Day," I remember that it was a big pop chart hit in the late 60's as done by the Edwin Hawkins Singers. Could certainly have been played on the radio during Secretariat's early year(s), but don't think it hits the mark in the film.

The entire Belmont coverage in the film was handled in a way that isolated Secretariat's performance as a thing unto itself. I was at Belmont that day, and I can assure you that performance did not take place in a vacuum!

Ocala Mike

joanied
10-18-2010, 12:06 PM
We must not forget this is a Disney movie.

How can anyone forget that...it's what every one that has seen it says...even Mrs.Tweedy, fer cryin' out loud...but being a Disney movie is no excuse for doing so much of it cheaply...or not having a great musical score...Disney spends zillions on their animation features, and I have no doubt they could have gone the extra mile to make this movie really shine...if I hear one more time "it's a Disney movie" I think I'll scream...Disney has made too many really good movies to have decided not to get this one right.

Investorater
10-18-2010, 01:09 PM
I wasn't addressing you specifically, but in any event, this Disney movie gets
the thumbs up and a 5-Star rating from me..:)

bigmack
10-18-2010, 01:32 PM
The one insufferable thing about most Disney films is the score. Talk about a tell. They beat you over the head, nudging you in the direction of their insistence. I'm often left with a feeling of "Alright, already."

A production budg of $35mil and and an equal amount for promotion, it's brought in $27mil in a week and a half making it around the 1000th biggest opening of a film. :sleeping:

saratoga guy
10-18-2010, 01:46 PM
..if I hear one more time "it's a Disney movie" I think I'll scream...Disney has made too many really good movies to have decided not to get this one right.

You're quite right. It's a head-scratcher that people think simply because it's a movie and therefore certainly does have to take liberties (after all, they're cramming four years into two hours) - that that means it can't still be a very, very good movie.

There are a slew of positive reviews over on the Rotten Tomatoes website (which track reviews from across the country) that say "formulaic" or "predictable" or "old-fashioned" -- BUT -- and then they add "it's a good family film" -- as though "family films" should be judged on a different scale!

joanied
10-18-2010, 02:01 PM
I wasn't addressing you specifically, but in any event, this Disney movie gets
the thumbs up and a 5-Star rating from me..:)

I realize that, but needed to use your quote...I hope when it gets to my neck of the woods, I will enjoy it as much as you did...
"it's a Disney movie" :bang: :lol:

joanied
10-18-2010, 02:02 PM
The one insufferable thing about most Disney films is the score. Talk about a tell. They beat you over the head, nudging you in the direction of their insistence. I'm often left with a feeling of "Alright, already."

A production budg of $35mil and and an equal amount for promotion, it's brought in $27mil in a week and a half making it around the 1000th biggest opening of a film. :sleeping:

And yet, if I remember right, Disney movies have won Oscars for their score...what happened to this one:eek:

Ocala Mike
10-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Like I say (about the score): budgetary considerations.

This movie was quite forgettable; I'm reading Nack's book right now, and it's light-years better than the film. Almost can't understand how he lent his name to the film. Many, many discrepancies (not just casual ones) between reality and the movie.

Ocala Mike

joanied
10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Nack's book was great...Lawrance Scanlan's book 'The Horse that God Built' is also a great read...and I have Woolfe's book sitting here to read asap.

They say the movie is never better than the book...guess Disney took that seriously:D

Wish the movie would open around here, fer cryin' out loud:mad:

Investorater
10-19-2010, 12:12 AM
A person would think that these writers must have pitched the script to studios much larger than Disney. They wouldn't bite. So the writers went with D, to make a quick buck. This story on film is as good as it will ever be so I for one appreciate it.

Then again my perspective is from a lowly horseplayer but someone elses might be from watching him run in person.

On this day in history Secretariats owners announced that his last race would be at Woodbine.

Still awaiting Joanied....

CincyHorseplayer
10-19-2010, 03:06 AM
Wow,that Village Voice review sounds like protoypical a$shole New Yorkers that feel obligated to shoot anything down if it contains emotion!!

They call it "Deification" because they quoted Job but failed to understand that the description of a horse was absolutely pure poetry and awesome.You think of a better description of a horse let me know.

Secretariat's story is worthy of deification anyway.He accomplished more than Seabiscuit.Winning the triple crown while breaking every time record(or tying) and the laugher that was the Belmont in world record time,cmon.

Malkovich was perfect for this movie.I thought he carried it.Gotta love my boy Ottomatic Thorwarth though!And Diane Lane?Is there not a prettier woman in some remote corner of the world??It's Lana Turner part 2 to me,I can watch her all day.

Good movie but I can't tell if it's just me or not??I was born in 1973 and this was all behind me but there I am,in the damn movie theatre choking back tears and lovin every moment of it!!

BluegrassProf
10-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Good movie but I can't tell if it's just me or not??I was born in 1973 and this was all behind me but there I am,in the damn movie theatre choking back tears and lovin every moment of it!!Definitely not!

I betcha there are six or seven other people out there that loved it just the same. :ThmbUp:

(I kid, I kid! Prolly no more than four...:))

joanied
10-19-2010, 09:20 AM
A person would think that these writers must have pitched the script to studios much larger than Disney. They wouldn't bite. So the writers went with D, to make a quick buck. This story on film is as good as it will ever be so I for one appreciate it.

Then again my perspective is from a lowly horseplayer but someone elses might be from watching him run in person.

On this day in history Secretariats owners announced that his last race would be at Woodbine.

Still awaiting Joanied....

Here I am, Investorater:) You could be right, maybe they did try other studios...I guess the bottom line is the fact that someone did get the big red horse to the big silver screen...and I also appreciate that.
I don't think it matters wether you are a 'lowly horseplayer';) , saw him race, or maybe were not even born yet when he was racing...if you love racing, appreciate his accomplishments, just love horses in general, work within the industry ect., a person will enjoy the movie or not...and since those of us that haven't seen it yet already know about all the changes, we can see it with an open mind, knowing it's "a Disney movie" :bang: :D ...
I worked at Bemont at that time, but never did see him race...my ex hisband was working for Lucien and galloped Secretariat when he first came to the barn...but we left NY for Ocala and stayed there throughout Secreatriat's career...which really bummed us out, especially my ex...but that I didn't see him race won't mean anything...I still feel apart of his history.

I liked CincyHorsePlayers review...I know I'll get emotional regardless, and plan on having a few tissue with me when we get to see the movie.

His last race...out of the misty falling snow, into legend.

Ocala Mike
10-19-2010, 12:29 PM
my ex hisband was working for Lucien and galloped Secretariat when he first came to the barn

Was your ex-husband mutuel clerk Jimmy Gaffney? He is covered quite a bit in Nack's book as being the first to gallop Secretariat in NY. Don't believe he gets any mention in the film, however.

Ocala Mike

CincyHorseplayer
10-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Definitely not!

I betcha there are six or seven other people out there that loved it just the same. :ThmbUp:

(I kid, I kid! Prolly no more than four...:))

I know one thing I was in a sea of blue hairs at the theatre and the only thing that moves them is pills and smorgasboards,so I definitely was the only one lettin the emotions rip!!:)

chickenhead
10-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I know one thing I was in a sea of blue hairs at the theatre and the only thing that moves them is pills and smorgasboards,so I definitely was the only one lettin the emotions rip!!:)

this is actually something interesting -- the demographics at my showing were the oldest I've ever seen at a movie. Some of them brought their grandkids with them, but still -- I've never seen a theater filled primarily with senior citizens.

joanied
10-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Was your ex-husband mutuel clerk Jimmy Gaffney? He is covered quite a bit in Nack's book as being the first to gallop Secretariat in NY. Don't believe he gets any mention in the film, however.

Ocala Mike

Nope. My ex was one of Lucien's ex. riders, that's all... this is when the colt first got there, and he was pretty much just another horse until he worked off his baby fat :D My ex worked for a lot of the top trainers back then.

joanied
10-19-2010, 04:49 PM

Oh,boy...blue hairs :eek: ...it'll be interesting when I go, to see what ages are in the theater...actually, I would have to think most folks in WY. don't know Secretariat...not a hot bed of Thoroughbreds here:D ...and I may be among the seniors, but my hair is very long and brownish:ThmbUp: Tah-Dah!!

CincyHorseplayer
10-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Joanied,I am ashamed at you that you haven't seen that movie.Take off those boots covered with animal dung and go to the movies girl!!;)

CincyHorseplayer
10-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Oh,boy...blue hairs :eek: ...it'll be interesting when I go, to see what ages are in the theater...actually, I would have to think most folks in WY. don't know Secretariat...not a hot bed of Thoroughbreds here:D ...and I may be among the seniors, but my hair is very long and brownish:ThmbUp: Tah-Dah!!

My vision of you is one of those long haired hippie chicks,perpetual smile on face,good brain and good genes to boot,lovin life!!And loves horses.Basically my type of girl!!:)

joanied
10-19-2010, 05:45 PM
"Joanied,I am ashamed at you that you haven't seen that movie.Take off those boots covered with animal dung and go to the movies girl!!;)"

It hasn't opened yet here:mad: ...but when it does, I will take off the boots to go see it:jump:

My vision of you is one of those long haired hippie chicks,perpetual smile on face,good brain and good genes to boot,lovin life!!And loves horses.Basically my type of girl!!:)

Well, thank you, Cincy :blush: ...you about nailed it (I was going to say nailed me...but that would go somewhere we shouldn't go:D ;) )...I am still a horse lovin' hippie type...always will be:jump:

CincyHorseplayer
10-19-2010, 06:08 PM
"Joanied,I am ashamed at you that you haven't seen that movie.Take off those boots covered with animal dung and go to the movies girl!!;)"

It hasn't opened yet here:mad: ...but when it does, I will take off the boots to go see it:jump:

Well, thank you, Cincy :blush: ...you about nailed it (I was going to say nailed me...but that would go somewhere we shouldn't go:D ;) )...I am still a horse lovin' hippie type...always will be:jump:

I know who you is.And you're lucky because of it!!You love these beasts and I do too.Seeing horseflesh pound dirt pushes me to the limits of consciousness.I feel one and the same with them.Fire vs fire.

joanied
10-19-2010, 07:29 PM
I know who you is.And you're lucky because of it!!You love these beasts and I do too.Seeing horseflesh pound dirt pushes me to the limits of consciousness.I feel one and the same with them.Fire vs fire.

Well said, Cincy...if there is a 'natural high', it's what I (we) get from these incredible horses...best 'trip' ever;)...and yes, I can feel them too!!
Smokin' :jump: :ThmbUp: :jump:

CincyHorseplayer
10-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Well said, Cincy...if there is a 'natural high', it's what I (we) get from these incredible horses...best 'trip' ever;)...and yes, I can feel them too!!
Smokin' :jump: :ThmbUp: :jump:

Chuggin baby,chuggin!!That's the word that repeats in my mind,that horse is chuggin!!Rippin up ground and whoopin a$s=chuggin!!I'm about to watch that 73 Belmont for about the 20th time.Can't get enough.You know why??Because I like seeing that boy chuggin!!!LOL:D

KingChas
10-20-2010, 03:00 AM
Let The Big Horse Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFx68BIfMiM

Investorater
10-20-2010, 03:26 AM
More likely Disney purchased the rights to the book hired screenwriters and everyone else to start production.

So it is what it is.:cool:

I read this headline somewhere in early October---

___The Real Secretariat was Bigger than any movie___

joanied
10-20-2010, 12:22 PM
ZdI0c-HhmPs

I don't know how to embed the video...but this is the fianl race scene from Casey's Shadow (one of the best horse race movies ever made)...why couldn't they do something like this for secretariat's Belmont...slow motion with a powerful music score...this scene, with the music, still gets me choked up.

Ocala Mike
10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
I loved "Casey's Shadow" and loved Walter Matthau in it. Came out right around the time that I got interested in quarter horses with the short-lived meeting at Parr Meadows on Long Island.

We went out and bought a QH mare called Mighty Bird Leo back then, but we never got to breed her (long story).

Ocala Mike

KingChas
10-20-2010, 01:22 PM
How about a slow motion Secretariat Belmont run with good old Bolero playing in the background ;) .
If someone could make the race as long as the song it would be a perfect fit.

6UtKvnvtf6c

CincyHorseplayer
10-20-2010, 01:35 PM
How about a slow motion Secretariat Belmont run with good old Bolero playing in the background ;) .
If someone could make the race as long as the song it would be a perfect fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UtKvnvtf6c

How about a Secretariat picture set to Slayer's Reign In Blood??An appropriate suggestion for the soundtrack to domination!!:)

joanied
10-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Oh wow...Bolero would be dynamite:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
I don't know 'Slayer's Reign In Blood'...

there are so many incredible sound tracks and some classical music, like Bolero that would have given at least the Belmont race scene a heart tugging emotional punch...I used two themes on the web site I used to have to sell my foals...on the page where I had a poem about Foolish Pleasure I used the Legends of the Fall theme...and reading the poem, everyone said it made them cry...that is what you want for something like Secretariat's Belmont...tears & goosebumps...so the only thing you can say to someone there with you is..."Wow"

Now I have gotten side tracked...I have youtube up and I'm listening to one soundtrack after another...some of the westerns have the best...Lonesome Dove, Quigley Down Under, Dances with Wolves...then there is Braveheart, Legends of the Fall...well, I am getting carried away...
so much glorious music they could have used for the Belmont scene...and I saw hundreds of posts here & there while they were making the film that folks said the same thing...it'll need a great musical score...so what do they do...use something like Oh happy days...
jeeze:faint: :ThmbDown:

joanied
10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
I loved "Casey's Shadow" and loved Walter Matthau in it. Came out right around the time that I got interested in quarter horses with the short-lived meeting at Parr Meadows on Long Island.

We went out and bought a QH mare called Mighty Bird Leo back then, but we never got to breed her (long story).

Ocala Mike

We watch it several times a year, have the DVD and if I ever find it available in HD, I'll buy that. I loved that all the technical things were right...first horse movie I ever saw where they called a baby horse a foal, and not a colt...all the 'jargan' was right, liked that they showed the trainers lifting & stretching legs before the race...
the casting in that movie was perfect...every character was played so well, and I think it was one, if not the best performance by Mathau. The only part that I can't watch is when the pony dies...that just kills me, I can't stand it...I have grandkids and nephews that would love that movie, but because of that one scene, I won't let them watch it.

Too bad you never got your mare bred...those Leo's are always popular...when I had my Foolish Dream Farm, I raised Appendix bred QH's from my TB mares...my only regret after I retired the mares was that I didn't keep one of the foals for myself...especially the last one out of my Halo mare...named him Boromir (Lord of the Rings)...he was really something special. But at $3,000 per foal, I couldn't afford not to sell them all...now it's like::( :bang: :mad:

I lived in Ocala, Mike...loved it there!!

KingChas
10-21-2010, 01:28 AM
Oh wow...Bolero would be dynamite:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
I don't know 'Slayer's Reign In Blood'...

there are so many incredible sound tracks and some classical music, like Bolero that would have given at least the Belmont race scene a heart tugging emotional

I was thinking maybe starting Bolero from the rider up in the paddock with the crescendo being at the finish line.
That is one damm long classical sound track.
Could of even replayed the race slow- mo with this while the credits were running.
Oh,well.... :D

Ps;Have to check out Cincy's song,never heard it either.

joanied
10-21-2010, 12:05 PM
I was thinking maybe starting Bolero from the rider up in the paddock with the crescendo being at the finish line.
Could of even replayed the race slow- mo with this while the credits were running.

Sounds good to me, Chas...they shoulda come here before they picked their sound track...now it's all water under the damned bridge :bang: ...

yeah, where IS Cincy...maybe he can give us a link to that tune...I don't know it or who does it....and I am curious about it.

joanied
10-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks to whoever it was that embedded the video clip from Casey's Shadow for me:ThmbUp: :) :ThmbUp:
Watched it again, still get choked up & goosebumpy:)

strapper
10-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Like any racetracker I suppose I've seen all racing movies ever made. Always considered Phar Lap the best to date and probably still put it a notch over Secretariat & Seabiscuit. Disney's Secretariat was a little sugarcoated I guess but, all in all, a very enjoyable film. I would've liked the Triple Crown race scenes to be filmed at all of the proper venues but other than that I let the other inaccuracies slide. Roger Ebert has it right: a movie is different than a documentary - some people in racing don't get that point too well.

chickenhead
10-21-2010, 01:01 PM

I think Sec's Belmont was more of a germanic, superman type of drubbing. Something that would have roused old Wagner.

I give you Secs Belmont, Set to Ride of the Valkyries..

S-j7iTyoWw0

joanied
10-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Chickenhead....OUTSTANDING:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

I wish someone would take his TC races, well, all his races, even the ones he lost, and get them made into high def on DVD's...the quality of all the video's from back then is so bad...I know they have taken many old movies and turned them into HD DVD's...imagine seeing them that way!!

Miss Disco
10-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Just outstanding, this does justice to the Big Horse. Pardon me while I swoon. Thanks so much.

BluegrassProf
10-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Roger Ebert has it right: a movie is different than a documentary - some people in racing don't get that point too well.Hey, I could give two flips for accuracy. My biggest gripe is probably that it's a crap film.

Just sayin'.

bigmack
10-21-2010, 10:39 PM
I think Sec's Belmont was more of a germanic, superman type of drubbing. Something that would have roused old Wagner.

I give you Secs Belmont, Set to Ride of the Valkyries..
Uff. Not good. "Richie the Wag" works well for a Philippines shot, 'Marty Sheen heart attack induced film' with the smell of napalm in the AM, but not for Sec's Belmonty.

Remind me to release my niece to embark on a fitting Sec compilation vid with music more fitting to the size of his heart. I'm thinkin' a montage of Costello, The Clash, Dylan, & Diaghilev.

tzipi
10-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Hey, I could give two flips for accuracy. My biggest gripe is probably that it's a crap film.

Just sayin'.

Well I dont think Disney is too thrilled with 27 million intake so far and its just going to drop off now big time. Seabiscuit did $130 million. I'm surprised at 27 million because Disney did such a big ad campaign. I think if they did it in the classic way like Seabiscuit, they would've made so much more. Seabiscuit marketed to the general public and especially adults.

bigmack
10-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Well I dont think Disney is too thrilled with 27 million intake so far and its just going to drop off now big time. Seabiscuit did $130 million. I'm surprised at 27 million because Disney did such a big ad campaign. I think if they did it in the classic way like Seabiscuit, they would've made so much more.
You're Orangin'/Applein'

'Biscuit' did $120Mil after all was said & done. Its production budget was $85M v $35M for Sec. $50M makes a big dif.

Sec opening weekend was $13M v. $21M for Biscuit.

While I wish no great success for this film as Disney sucks big matzah balls, let's play fair.

tzipi
10-22-2010, 12:53 PM
You're Orangin'/Applein'

'Biscuit' did $120Mil after all was said & done. Its production budget was $85M v $35M for Sec. $50M makes a big dif.

Sec opening weekend was $13M v. $21M for Biscuit.

While I wish no great success for this film as Disney sucks big matzah balls, let's play fair.

It's not Oranges and apples. You're way off. You have to realize that just because a movie puts in bigger money, does not mean they make more. That's not how it works BigMack. The better movie will make money.

My big Fat Greek Wedding had a budget of $5,000,000 and made over $240,000,000.
Saw-1,200,000 made 103,000,000
Open Water 500,000 made 53,000,000

The Insider with Pacino spent 90 million and made 29 million domestic. Miami Vice spent well over $100 million and took in nothing

There's a million examples of this. Money spent does not mean big money or small money. If the movie is good people will go see it and if the movie is bad they wont as much. The budget between Secretariat and Seabiscuit means nothing. One was just way better movie and a more serious movie. A small budget has nothing to do with bad movie making decisions. Plus Disney spent so much money in ad campaigns. Secretariat ads were everywhere. Nothing like Seabiscuit got.

joanied
10-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Uff. Not good. "Richie the Wag" works well for a Philippines shot, 'Marty Sheen heart attack induced film' with the smell of napalm in the AM, but not for Sec's Belmonty.

Remind me to release my niece to embark on a fitting Sec compilation vid with music more fitting to the size of his heart. I'm thinkin' a montage of Costello, The Clash, Dylan, & Diaghilev.

Well, I thought chickenheads music for the Belmont was great...but that don't mean there isn't better music to use...
I would look foward to your niece doing it up right...she sure did a great job last time...don't wait to long to ask her, bigmack...gotta strike while the iron is hot:)

keithw84
10-22-2010, 01:28 PM
I was just thinking about how ironic it is that we use slow motion to dramatize something like Secretariat's world record-setting Belmont when the very point is how fast it was. Not saying I disagree with slow-motion; just making a point.

What I think would be really effective would be to have complete silence except for maybe the hoof beats while showing the wire. You'd see Secretariat cross, and then there is absolutely nothing for several seconds until the others come in.

joanied
10-22-2010, 03:49 PM
silence except for his hooves & breathing would also be very effective...good idea!
There is just something about slow motion that makes normal motion, even Big Red's especially powerful...maybe with the Belmont you could use both...normal speed as he begins drawing away to the top of the stretch...the rest in slow motion, including the sight of Turcotte looking at the tota board.

Ya know...I think we all have had much better ideas than the one they used:ThmbUp:

Trotman
10-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Well I went and saw the movie and overall enjoyed it with all it's artistic license. But because of the horse Big Red was and the story around that time I just wished Disney would have put a lot more into it. Secretariat was too great a horse not to tell the story a little more like it was.

PaceAdvantage
10-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Secretariat ads were everywhere. Nothing like Seabiscuit got.I beg to differ. I remember seeing LOTS of ads for Seabiscuit when it was coming out...

bigmack
10-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Sec is in 600 more theaters than Biscuit ever was. 2500 to 3100.

Disney power. :ThmbDown:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/ponymovs.jpg

PhotogPhanatic
10-23-2010, 10:22 PM
if anyone has a framed "THE Photo" Black & White Secretariat Belmont finish photo with turcotte looking at the Tote board and the field 31 lengths behind, and you want to sell it, please let me know as my dad took that famous photo. I don't want the signatures on it though.

tzipi
10-23-2010, 10:23 PM
I beg to differ. I remember seeing LOTS of ads for Seabiscuit when it was coming out...

I agree. I didn't mean Seabiscuit was nowhere to be found in ads but besides Secretariat ads's everywhere in papers,magazines, public, every on demand show I got the one commercial they had was for Secretariat :D . I think Secretariat had a little bigger ad campaign. But I could very well be wrong.

badcompany
10-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Well I went and saw the movie and overall enjoyed it with all it's artistic license. But because of the horse Big Red was and the story around that time I just wished Disney would have put a lot more into it. Secretariat was too great a horse not to tell the story a little more like it was.

The reason why there was an unusual amount of liberties taken was structural. The main, human, character in the movie was an attractive, smart, educated woman from a wealthy, prominent family. In addition, she was happily married to a successful lawyer and they had a beautiful family. This wasn't Rocky Balboa trying to beat Apollo Creed. So, the writers had to come up with contrived obstacles for her to overcome.

I couldn't suspend my beliefs enough to buy into the idea that she risked being a beggar if she didn't sell Secretariat. Her father was a successful businessman who was good friends with the richest man in the world, yet, somehow, in death, he left his kids in deep debt.

cj
10-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Sec is in 600 more theaters than Biscuit ever was. 2500 to 3100.

Disney power. :ThmbDown:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/ponymovs.jpg

More importantly, how did it compare to Racing Stripes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376105/)?

Dahoss9698
10-24-2010, 12:32 AM
I've been to 4 movies in the last 2 weeks and I never even considered seeing Secretariat. It's not that I'm not interested, just not interested in a Disney take on it. I'll redbox the DVD when it comes out.

Tom
10-24-2010, 12:36 AM
SNL just did a "review" of it on Weekend Update. The guy says the crowd was yelling "GO Secretariat" all down the stretch and the horse was thinking, "Uh, my name is Phil!" and now he thinks he won a race! :lol:

thaskalos
10-24-2010, 12:42 AM
More importantly, how did it compare to Racing Stripes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376105/)?"Racing Stripes" grossed $14 million on its opening weekend...and ended up with a word-wide gross of over $90 million.

badcompany
10-24-2010, 12:53 AM
The Wood was shown with Secretariat finishing third behind Sham and Angle Light but the the general impression if someone was not paying close attention was that maybe Sham won.

The writers didn't have much of a choice, factoring in that Lucien also trained Angle Light. Had the writers not deviated from the facts, after the Wood, Penny would've berated Lucien only to have him respond with "Hey, b*tch, my horse just won the race."

bigmack
10-24-2010, 01:22 AM
"Racing Stripes" grossed $14 million on its opening weekend...and ended up with a word-wide gross of over $90 million.
You actually looked it up? I think cj was pullin' a leg.

Trotman
10-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Badcompany I guess I'm just too much a realist as fiction has never got my attention. I just have to watch my video of every race the Big Guy run and get that feel good feeling all over again.

thaskalos
10-24-2010, 01:33 AM
You actually looked it up? I think cj was pullin' a leg.I know he was...

badcompany
10-24-2010, 02:11 AM
Badcompany I guess I'm just too much a realist as fiction has never got my attention. I just have to watch my video of every race the Big Guy run and get that feel good feeling all over again.

Your criticism is fair. It gets back to what I was saying about the structural problems. If you make a movie about an all-time great horse, a hall of fame trainer and a privileged women, they can't be portrayed as the Bad News Bears, without running into some logistical issues.

Ocala Mike
10-24-2010, 11:46 AM
she was happily married to a successful lawyer

Not so; they were divorced the following year, and there were undercurrents of the friction in the film.

I agree with your basic premise however. The movie basically told its own contrived story, as though focusing on the horse rather than his human connections wouldn't somehow be enough.

Ocala Mike

badcompany
10-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I agree with your basic premise however. The movie basically told its own contrived story, as though focusing on the horse rather than his human connections wouldn't somehow be enough.

Ocala Mike

You have to focus on the human element because a horse, even Secretariat...is a horse.

That said, the human stories have to be interesting and compelling as was the case in Seabiscuit: Red being abandoned by his family, Mr. Howard's success story, followed by the loss of his child, the down on his luck trainer. Now, compare those with Secretariat: a rich housewife with a nice family, a rich, a retired trainer who spent his days hitting golf balls, and a secretary with no story at all.

I didn't hate Secretariat, the movie. It was okay light Disney fare, but, it definitely fell way short of Seabiscuit.

BlueShoe
03-07-2012, 03:25 AM
Am nearly a year and a half late to this dance, but earlier this evening Secretariet was on one of the cable movie channels, and viewed it for the first time. One word review; embarrassing. Did not enjoy this film, too many factual errors and way too sugar sweet. Even the race calls were hard to accept. Track announcers editorializing as the horses came on the track, as they were loading and standing in the gate, and during the running of the race? The script writers could have done better than that, or, as an earlier post suggested, used the actual live call. A few of the people were portrayed in a much worse light than they actually were, which is unfair, Frank Martin in particular. Perhaps some day they will make a really good racing film that is accurate and realistic. Have never seen "Caseys Shadow", which has gotten pretty good marks on PA, have watched for it, but have never caught it. The best racing film that I can recall is a half century old black and white film called "Wall of Noise", unlikely that any on this forum have ever heard of or viewed this film. The cult favorite "The Killing" is not really a racing film, even though it does revolve around the robbing of a racetrack.
www.secretariat.com/past-performances/ (http://www.secretariat.com/past-performances/)

Track Phantom
03-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Agree 100%. I didn't watch it until about a month ago and I got about half way through it and shut it down.

I find it interesting that what really turned me off was the same editorializing by the track announcer ("secretariat is in the gate and he looks good and ready to run") -- just silly and amatuerish....

Apparently Hollywood thinks the only way general America is going to understand or connect to a horse racing movie is to dumb it down to 3rd grade level and cater to obviousness throughout. More than disappointing.

TommyCh
03-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Apparently Hollywood thinks the only way general America is going to understand or connect to a horse racing movie is to dumb it down to 3rd grade level and cater to obviousness throughout. More than disappointing.

It's Disney. 'Nuff said.

And how 'bout the heavy bible thumping? Some critics said it was cheap pandering to the bible belt to boost box office. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Saw it in the theater and will never watch it again.

thespaah
03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Agree 100%. I didn't watch it until about a month ago and I got about half way through it and shut it down.

I find it interesting that what really turned me off was the same editorializing by the track announcer ("secretariat is in the gate and he looks good and ready to run") -- just silly and amatuerish....

SOPT on....If these movies about race horses and the sport itself were made 30 or 40 years ago, there's be less need for dumbing them down. As most of us know, up until the 1970's horse racing was the nation's largest( by number of attendees) spectator sport. In effect, more people had knowledge of racing or were fans of the sport.
"Secretariat" IMO was a disappointing flick. There were factual errors and lots of unneeded junk dialogue.

TommyCh
03-08-2012, 04:07 PM
SOPT on....If these movies about race horses and the sport itself were made 30 or 40 years ago, there's be less need for dumbing them down. As most of us know, up until the 1970's horse racing was the nation's largest( by number of attendees) spectator sport. In effect, more people had knowledge of racing or were fans of the sport.
"Secretariat" IMO was a disappointing flick. There were factual errors and lots of unneeded junk dialogue.

They even hired Stretch Cunningham to threaten Mrs. Tweedy.