PDA

View Full Version : Vic Stauffer does it again

midnight
05-30-2003, 11:19 PM
Just when I was starting to think that Vic Stauffer was getting tolerably decent at his job, the Hollywood Park announcer managed to miscall a horse for the whole race. Stauffer announced the winner of the third, Sweepingly, as Surprisingly, a filly of modest talent that races on the SoCal circuit and has done decetnly in the past couple of months. Wrong gender, Vic.

(I can just see him putting down his binoculars at the end of the race, and Fred Lansing tapping him on the shoulder and pointing at the program. )

Then, when the winner returned, he announced the correct name brightly and cheerfully, as though he hadn't done a thing wrong.

I know that all announcers make mistakes once in a while, but he's gotten his quota in for the next 358 years. Oh well, at least he doesn't have a nasal delivery like a lot of announcers do.

SAL
05-30-2003, 11:57 PM
You know, I've heard all the best callers in the business do the same thing, including my all time favorite Trevor Denman. I would have to include Vic as one of the best, I hated to see him go when he left Northern California. Give him a break, nobody's perfect. His calling is still top notch, mistake or no mistake.

midnight
05-31-2003, 06:43 PM
I understand. We all have different preferences for announcers. I suppose I'm from the old school that wants a racecall without a lot of commentary. I like such announcers as Keith Jones (Pha), Robert Geller (Emd, Sun), John Dooley (AP), Terry Wallace (OP), Tom Durkin, etc.

In the 5th at Hollywood this afternoon, Stauffer almost broke into tears (or so it sounded) when 10 year old Sing Because got up in the last stride and won the $12,000 claimer. He didn't stop yapping about the horse for 5 minutes. It just seems unprofessional to me, but I can see how some people would like that kind of thing.

BillW
05-31-2003, 06:58 PM
Vic's a fan ... certainly not in it for the money

JimG
05-31-2003, 07:07 PM
There are a lot worse than this guy at Hollywood. One listen to the announcer at Mountaineer and you would know why I say this.

Of the big name announcers, Michael Wrona gets on my nerves the most when he calls all the horses past the finish line. It probably annoys me because it takes him so long to call my horse.:D

Jim

Fatl@DMTC.Com
05-31-2003, 07:13 PM
Lol, you're right Jim, that Mountaineer guy is just awful, but for some reason TRN shows that track everynight, my mute button gets a lot of work during the night.

Zaf
05-31-2003, 07:46 PM
Mountaineer Announcer :D

Jim Dolan, the best

What great entertainment nightly, comedy :rolleyes:

I love the feed though. Mark and Nancy are great !!!

ZAFONIC

penguinfan
06-01-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by zafonic
Mountaineer Announcer :D

Jim Dolan, the best

What great entertainment nightly, comedy :rolleyes:

I love the feed though. Mark and Nancy are great !!!

ZAFONIC

Mark and Nancy LMFAO, these two are the definition of comedy relief. Last night we were down there and I SHIT YOU NOT, the track was sloppy and when Mark was giving details about how some of the horses ran previously on wet tracks he said this "#4 was beaten off on the 5th of April right here." He said it just like that so I bet the horse figuring we had something in common.

Penguinfan

Suff
06-01-2003, 07:59 AM
I have occasionaly bet Mountaineer when I feel Like playing the races after Dark. Those two......."Mark and Nancy" are a sleeping pill. Him especially.

so.cal.fan
06-01-2003, 11:46 AM
Vic's okay.....he is a fan, but probably does do it for the money....LOL........he picks some winners for the folks that watch him on Fox Sports West, I think he does a fair amount of betting, so you have to give him some slack.
I watched and listened to the races Friday night from Lone Star.....gee....we sure do miss Michael Wrona. He is one of the best. If you guys down there in the great Lone Star state of Texas ever want to trade..........we're up for it.

Milleruszk
06-01-2003, 12:59 PM
The best I ever heard was Fred Capposella in NY. Because he was the first announcer that I heard as child, when my father introduced me to horse racing, I reserve the right to change this opinion. Which leads me to my question. Do any of you know where you can get old racing tapes? I am interested in getting some tapes of races called by Fred Capposella. Thanks!

Tom:)

Bruddah
06-01-2003, 01:13 PM
someone arrange the Michael Wrona trade for SoCalFan. I will help any way possible.

Hey, SoCalFan did you get my email? Just curious about your Buffy post. :)

BillW
06-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Milleruszk
The best I ever heard was Fred Capposella in NY. Because he was the first announcer that I heard as child, when my father introduced me to horse racing, I reserve the right to change this opinion. Which leads me to my question. Do any of you know where you can get old racing tapes? I am interested in getting some tapes of races called by Fred Capposella. Thanks!

Tom:)

Tom,

Try a search on goggle.com. seems like the thing that would be archived on the internet.

Bill

kmbrmc
06-01-2003, 01:40 PM
There is a racing radio in the uk which to say the least must employ a couple of blind men to do the commentaries! it is not unusual for someone to think theyve backed the winner of a race to suddenly be told that a mistake was made regarding the colours etc and a different winner is announced! cant believe theyve kept there jobs for so long,many uk punters nickname them laurel and hardy.

sq764
06-01-2003, 02:03 PM
I think, dollar for dollar, Michael Chamberlain is the best out there. He is dead on accurate, little commentary, shows emotion when it should be shown and is just super professional.

I cannot stand Trevor Denman, he is so fake and so predictable. And he seems to love to hear himself talk.

I also like Larry Colmus at Monmoth (and Suffolk). He is pretty good.

so.cal.fan
06-01-2003, 02:17 PM
I don't listen to any callers much outside of Calif. so I can't judge them.....but I'm telling you guys.........
Trevor Denman and Michael Wrona will make you money if you listen to their comments.....if they tell you a horse is winning easy...you can bet your money he is.
Forget about their accents.........just listen to the comments.
I stay out in the paddock at the track for the most part, often listening to the call without watching the race......Trevor Denman's calls are about as accurate as you can get....and so are Wrona's.
Vic makes errors.....but he's a nice guy, so we let it slide.

Zaf
06-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I think, dollar for dollar, Michael Chamberlain is the best out there. He is dead on accurate, little commentary, shows emotion when it should be shown and is just super professional.

I cannot stand Trevor Denman, he is so fake and so predictable. And he seems to love to hear himself talk.

I also like Larry Colmus at Monmoth (and Suffolk). He is pretty good.

I like Chamberlain & Collmus as well !!!

I have to disagree with you about Trevor.

ZAFONIC

mudnturf
06-08-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm kind of surprised that no one mentioned LUKE KRUYTBOSCH ( I'm not sure of that spelling but his last name is pronounced "Krite-boss").
He did an amazing job of calling the races at Kentucky Downs last September. And he did it from a vantage point that looked nearly impossible.
The course (all races on Turf there) is not your usual oval, but rather shaped like a kite. And it is undulating, not flat. Almost a European feel to this racecourse. But definitely a country fair atmosphere for the spectators.
At one point during the race, the horses cannot be seen from the ground level as they go downhill, shortly after the start, before making a long sweeping left turn, prior to straightening out for the long stretch run.
Well, Luke stands with his big binoculars, in a small enclosure, about 12-15 feet high, situated above the finish line, and a short 30-40 feet from the outer fence of the course. He sees the stretch run with very little angle....they're practically coming straight at him.
Honest, I don't know how he does it, but he always gets it right.
He makes the position of every runner known, and quickly picks up a horse making a "move".
Luke also calls the races at Churchill Downs (now) and Turf Paradise during the winter months.
Oh, not that it matters, but he happens to be a helluva nice guy.
Cast my vote for LUKE!

Lefty
06-09-2003, 12:13 AM
I enjoy Luke's calls as well. He has a good voice for it and mostly gets it right. However, when the CD job was open I was rooting for Wrona but the job went to Luke.

Handy Cap
06-09-2003, 04:01 AM
Luke is good, voice annoying at times
Chamberlain ok, but sometimes sounds like he would rather be somewhere else...
Trevor is simply the best
Durkin is starting to slip a little
Wrona talks and doesnt shut up from 60mtp, all the way until the end of the last race....gets annoying
Evangeline guy...if he says..and down the EVD back stretch one more time, im gonna shoot him
Indiana Downs Guy..probably the worst in racing
Vic Stauffer....give the guy a break...hey, whatever happened to MR. Excitement, Chris Kotulak?

BillW
06-09-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Handy Cap
...hey, whatever happened to MR. Excitement, Chris Kotulak?

Back in La. I think ... DED maybe.