PDA

View Full Version : Umpiring: Baseball Playoffs

rrbauer
10-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Absolutely the WORST umpiring that I have ever seen. Anywhere. Anytime. Everywhere. Damn near everytime. I mean these guys just keep on ticking and keep on missing. There are so many missed calls starting with the Tigers-Twins play-in game that it is shameful.

Bud Selig should fire the whole damn bunch.

Incompetent doesn't describe the situation. If there was ever a sport that needed "instant replay" to validate the on-field calls, major league baseball is the sport.

Utterly disgusting. And they have a union?

They need a union! Mascot is the blind mouse.

Show Me the Wire
10-09-2009, 10:33 PM
You think they were NFL officials ;)

nomadpat
10-09-2009, 11:43 PM
What bothers me even more than them getting the wrong calls is their attitude. It's like you committed a sin if you question them even if wrong. I can't stand their holier than thou attitude. Very disappointing :ThmbDown:

eastie
10-09-2009, 11:46 PM
disgraceful call on a ball that was 4 inches fair for the twinkies against the yanks...why bother having umps on the foul lines if they miss calls that are right in front of them. not to mention the 2 blown calls at 1st last night that went against the red sox, and some of the strikes called for Lackey...brutal

Dave Schwartz
10-10-2009, 01:02 AM
Eastie,

I saw that and you are right.

While that umpire was CLOSEST to the play he had no angle. He should have gotten help from the guy up the line.

Great game, though.

Dave

RXB
10-10-2009, 01:49 AM
What bothers me even more than them getting the wrong calls is their attitude. It's like you committed a sin if you question them even if wrong. I can't stand their holier than thou attitude. Very disappointing :ThmbDown:

As a kid, I remember watching the Patriots get robbed in the NFL playoffs against the Raiders when the ref threw an absolutely ridiculous roughing-the-passer flag against Sugar Bear Hamilton. 25 years later, the ref was still insisting he made the correct call. Some guys are like that.

I gotta say, that call tonight was really, really, really, really bad.

njcurveball
10-10-2009, 02:22 AM
Absolutely the WORST umpiring that I have ever seen. Anywhere. Anytime. Everywhere. Damn near everytime. I mean these guys just keep on ticking and keep on missing. .

I totally agree with you on this one. Baseball is losing lots of young fans and nothing looks dumber than seeing something like Dustin Pedroia sliding to touch first and then seeing the Ump call the runner safe anyway. I felt bad about this and I totally HATE the Red Sox!

There are only a few dozen umpires in the entire Untied States who do these games. There are how many million people? Worst is when you see a ball called a strike and then you have to watch the umpire "dare" the batter to say anything.

It would be the easiest thing to implant a GPS chip in a baseball and use any type of modern tracking device to know EXACTLY where it crossed the plate. With millions invested in this sport, you would think TV would at least muscle them not to look like idiots in front of the whole world!

Dave Schwartz
10-10-2009, 02:35 AM
NJ,

The idea of an implant in a baseball is an old one. And it doesn't take anything as elaborate as a GPS.

As I recall someone (might have been Charlie Finley) tried something like that in the late 60s or early 70s. As I further recall, the issue was that the implant was destroyed as soon as the ball was hit, be it fair or foul.

(Of course, you being a pitcher and all, probably never considered that the ball would actually be hit. <G>)

In fact, I can imagine that the force of a good fastball could destroy whatever electronics were inside.

Truthfully, I actually LIKE the occasional bad call in a baseball game. It adds a human flavor to the game that I would miss. Hollering at the umpire for making a perceived bad call is part of the tradition.

Frankly, it is unfortunate that today's technology shows their mistakes so glaringly. But we are stuck with the technology. (I guess you just cannot get the manure back into the horse.)

The real issue of officiating in baseball has been discussed ad nauseum. Ever since they broke the union, the skill level of the typical major leage umpire has gone downhill. They have no respect - perhaps because they just don't deserve it.

Bill Kunkel, where are you when we need you?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: Wasn't that a great 9th inning for OUR Yankees Friday night?

CBedo
10-10-2009, 03:11 AM
disgraceful call on a ball that was 4 inches fair for the twinkies against the yanks...why bother having umps on the foul lines if they miss calls that are right in front of them. not to mention the 2 blown calls at 1st last night that went against the red sox, and some of the strikes called for Lackey...brutalNot only did he miss the call, he blocked the view of the 3rd base coach so their was no appeal that could have led to a replay analysis.

rrbauer
10-10-2009, 09:00 AM
We have the technology to eliminate the need for umpires to call balls/strikes. Doing so would standardize and make consistent the strike zone. Subjecting close plays to "video review" is being done in other sports. For the most part, in those sports, the on-field call proves correct. Be interesting to see how baseball's reviews would hold up. Hell, I remember the days when a "tie" went to the base runners in close plays. Today, the runner has to be clearly safe to be called safe.

IMO the umpires' union is the roadblock along with the owners who are stuck in concrete when it comes to change.

andymays
10-10-2009, 09:12 AM
We have the technology to eliminate the need for umpires to call balls/strikes. Doing so would standardize and make consistent the strike zone. Subjecting close plays to "video review" is being done in other sports. For the most part, in those sports, the on-field call proves correct. Be interesting to see how baseball's reviews would hold up. Hell, I remember the days when a "tie" went to the base runners in close plays. Today, the runner has to be clearly safe to be called safe.

IMO the umpires' union is the roadblock along with the owners who are stuck in concrete when it comes to change.

Amen to that. The inconsistency in the balls/strikes calling is and has been absurd. If you've watched baseball through the years you would swear some of these umpires don't give a s**t about accuracy. They want to assert their power and get creative.

As a person who's bet more than a few games in my life I've always said that handicapping the Umpires is as important as any other factor. I believe and it is my opinion that some of these guys are messing with the overs/unders of the games.

Canarsie
10-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Not only did he miss the call, he blocked the view of the 3rd base coach so their was no appeal that could have led to a replay analysis.

The only calls that can be reviewed are home runs that in itself is disgraceful. The technology should be used in playoff games to say the least with the ability to appeal until you lose one.

Marshall Bennett
10-10-2009, 03:35 PM
disgraceful call on a ball that was 4 inches fair for the twinkies against the yanks...why bother having umps on the foul lines if they miss calls that are right in front of them. not to mention the 2 blown calls at 1st last night that went against the red sox, and some of the strikes called for Lackey...brutal
Looked more like 8 inches , and yes it was disgraceful . Had this happened to the Yankees that umpire wouldn't have left the park alive . This may well have been the worse call I've ever seen in such a game . May have made a difference in the outcome of the series had the Twins gone home 1 - 1 . They fine ballplayers for stupidity , they should do the same for umpires if they don't already . Then he should be FIRED !!

Canarsie
10-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Looked more like 8 inches , and yes it was disgraceful . Had this happened to the Yankees that umpire wouldn't have left the park alive . This may well have been the worse call I've ever seen in such a game . May have made a difference in the outcome of the series had the Twins gone home 1 - 1 . They fine ballplayers for stupidity , they should do the same for umpires if they don't already . Then he should be FIRED !!

It was close to the worst but it doesn't compare to when umpire Don Denkinger incorrectly ruled K.C.'s Jorge Orta safe at first base to lead off the ninth on the 85 World Series.

But this was pretty brutal the sad thing is they are going to do nothing.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0710/mlb.best.world.series.moments/images/1985.orta%28RonaldC.ModraSI%29.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1000035/12/27/index.htm&usg=__vXGXNdmEpwF2lfgesqAWPS2JUUs=&h=516&w=666&sz=72&hl=en&start=9&um=1&tbnid=B_zLj4ovwG-HMM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=138&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddon%2Bdenkinger%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26 um%3D1

bisket
10-10-2009, 07:59 PM
the orioles were robbed big time with that jeter fly out turned into a home run by a little twerp from jerzey. what really got in my crawl was the attitude of the umpire in the interview after the game. baseball at the time was my favorite sport, but that was the beginning of the end for me and that sport. i feel for the twins and their fans, but its business as usual for baseball. which is why they really only have one succesful franchise.

Dave Schwartz
10-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I watched the Dodgers/Cards today.

The point about poor and inconsistent strike zones was obvious. How many times can you call guys out on a pitch that is 3-4 inches off the plate and then call the same pitch a ball with the next hitter?

For that matter, in the past coupld of days at least 4 times I have seen consecutive pitches in the same precise location being called differently.

I am appalled.

Dave

rrbauer
10-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Pickoff play at 2nd in tonight's Angels-Yankees game.

Dude was absolutely OUT. No question. Ball in glove tagging runner's hand that is about 6 inches from the bag. Right in front of the umpire.

Call is safe.

Pathetic. If this game isn't ripe for some replay then fruit flies don't like ripe bananas.

And one of the announcers has the gall to sugges that maybe there was a problem with the "angle".

cj's dad
10-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Funny web site:

www.shutuptimmccarver.com

Pace Cap'n
10-20-2009, 11:18 PM
And then they take away the greatest unassisted double play in post-season history...when Napoli (catcher) runs 90 feet and tags out two runners at third base, not five feet in front of the umpire...who missed one of the tags.

Does it not seem to get worse every year?

Valuist
10-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Lets not forget the blown call when Swisher tags up from 3rd on the sac fly only after the fact to have McClelland call him out claiming he left third too soon. Slow motion replay not only showed Swisher didn't leave too early but McClelland wasn't even watching Swisher when the ball was caught.

swami13
10-20-2009, 11:49 PM
And then they take away the greatest unassisted double play in post-season history...when Napoli (catcher) runs 90 feet and tags out two runners at third base, not five feet in front of the umpire...who missed one of the tags.

Does it not seem to get worse every year?

That was BRUTAL, how does he miss that and also how does Scioscia not go crazy, ask for help from the other 5 blue suited nimrods standing around.

that was terrible.

PaceAdvantage
10-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Lets not forget the blown call when Swisher tags up from 3rd on the sac fly only after the fact to have McClelland call him out claiming he left third too soon. Slow motion replay not only showed Swisher didn't leave too early but McClelland wasn't even watching Swisher when the ball was caught.I think that was payback for the blown call at second with Swisher only a few moments earlier.

It was pretty obvious by the crowd reaction to that blown call at 2nd that they were playing the replay over and over on the big screen, in full view of McClelland.

How else do you explain him calling Swisher out for leaving too soon when he was looking in the opposite direction?

PaceAdvantage
10-21-2009, 12:06 AM
That blown call at second base with Swisher was really inexcusable. The ump was right there and Swisher was clearly, CLEARLY out by a mile....WTF?

DanG
10-21-2009, 06:38 AM
Hard to defend the calls that have been consistently horrendous, but; concerning angles live and through a camera lens…

Some years back I was 5th row on the goal line at a Buc’s Jet’s game. There was a call right in front of me that was as clear as could be and later that night I saw it on the news and it looked very different. I have also seen many a live race where a pretty serious bump in the turn look inconsequential on tape.

There is a 3rd dimension live that even Hi-Def does not pick up, but these calls have clearly entered the 4th dimension called incompetence.

andymays
10-21-2009, 06:38 AM
The calls yesterday were some of the worst I've ever seen and make a good case for instant replay in the playoffs!

The Umpire on third should be suspended and put under some type of evaluation!

ghostyapper
10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
The umps have been terrible but jorge posada is making a case for dumbest player in baseball. Why on earth would he run back to 3rd on the rundown play when a faster cano already had 3rd? He compounded the stupid decision by running past the bag and it should have been a double play.

He doesn't score from 2nd on a double cause he can't read a fly ball

Finally with 2 outs he heads for the dugout leaving home plate unprotected with a runner on 3rd.

Quagmire
10-21-2009, 12:03 PM
The calls yesterday were some of the worst I've ever seen and make a good case for instant replay in the playoffs!

The Umpire on third should be suspended and put under some type of evaluation!

The third base umpire was out of position for both questionable calls at 3rd. The blown call on the double tag out was inexcusable.

andymays
10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
The third base umpire was out of position for both questionable calls at 3rd. The blown call on the double tag out was inexcusable.

On the call where the guy supposedly left from third too soon he wasn't even looking at the runner. On the replays he appeared to be focused on the outfielder making the catch.

I haven't read any of the interviews this morning. I wonder if the Umpire has any quotes out there about his calls?

rrbauer
10-21-2009, 12:12 PM
The umps have been terrible but jorge posada is making a case for dumbest player in baseball. Why on earth would he run back to 3rd on the rundown play when a faster cano already had 3rd? He compounded the stupid decision by running past the bag and it should have been a double play.

He probably was trying to confuse the Angels. Instead he confused the umpire! :lol:

Angels BTW appear to be easily confused. They are totally out of synch.

skate
10-21-2009, 05:36 PM
certainly i agree, lots of baddy calls.

But we never had the slow mo TV availability before, such as today.

Good idea to Chip the Ball, while still using an ump and give some red flags to the teams. Not sure about 'what penalty' to apply, when wrong.

I must say, i'd be the worlds worst umper. i'd most likely be thinking about dinner or some chick...

Jeff P
10-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Missed calls prompt umpire switch for World Series
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtaHkr1ViFI2Es3gvnq444Q5nYcB?slug=ap-worldseries-umpireswitch&prov=ap&type=lgns

-jp

rrbauer
10-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Missed calls prompt umpire switch for World Series
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtaHkr1ViFI2Es3gvnq444Q5nYcB?slug=ap-worldseries-umpireswitch&prov=ap&type=lgns

-jp

Typical baseball knee-jerk. Everybody knows that the right thing to do is to use replay-reviews of plays that end up being cloaked in controversy based upon an ump's initial call. Does baseball and its umpires want integrity, or not? Where is the benefit to the game, the teams or the fans from embracing a system that produces bad calls.

toetoe
10-23-2009, 12:42 PM
As a kid, I remember watching the Patriots get robbed in the NFL playoffs against the Raiders when the ref threw an absolutely ridiculous roughing-the-passer flag against Sugar Bear Hamilton. 25 years later, the ref was still insisting he made the correct call. Some guys are like that.

I gotta say, that call tonight was really, really, really, really bad.

The Pates have seen their luck more than even out since then, especially versus da Raydahs.

toetoe
10-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Typical baseball knee-jerk. Everybody knows that the right thing to do is to use replay-reviews of plays that end up being cloaked in controversy based upon an ump's initial call. Does baseball and its umpires want integrity, or not? Where is the benefit to the game, the teams or the fans from embracing a system that produces bad calls.

Okay, fair enough; but where's the outrage against the gladiators themselves, when they fail or refuse to hit the cutoff, take a pitch, get down a bunt ? Manny "The Sieve" Ramirez and noodle arm Juan Pierre are tolerated; inconsistent umpires are vilified. :confused:

P.S. How about the baserunning gaffe that led to that bad call when the two Yankees runners should be out ? Back to the dugout, have a smoke, listen to the manager beg for a slightly better effort next time, high fives all around. Sheesh.

rrbauer
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Okay, fair enough; but where's the outrage against the gladiators themselves, when they fail or refuse to hit the cutoff, take a pitch, get down a bunt ? Manny "The Sieve" Ramirez and noodle arm Juan Pierre are tolerated; inconsistent umpires are vilified. :confused:

P.S. How about the baserunning gaffe that led to that bad call when the two Yankees runners should be out ? Back to the dugout, have a smoke, listen to the manager beg for a slightly better effort next time, high fives all around. Sheesh.

Ya gotta start somewhere! Players that can't perform can be benched, fined, traded, released. If the umps get the calls wrong then what does the level of effort by anyone else matter? Start a thread on bonehead plays. I have a couple posts in mind!! We'll start with Mike Scosia's handling of the Angel's pitching staff in the ALCS!

DanG
10-23-2009, 05:06 PM
We'll start with Mike Scosia's handling of the Angel's pitching staff in the ALCS!
Well said and Girardi isn’t too far behind in the knee jerk parade as well imo.

Imriledup
10-23-2009, 07:26 PM

The Twins lost game 3, at home, why would you think they were going to win game 3, it was still Pavano against Pettitte, its not like anything would have changed had it been 1-1. Yanks were clearly the superior team, Twins had bases loaded with 0 outs and couldnt' get it done. They werent' good enough. Mauer eventually singled. To think that Mauer being on 2nd instead of first might have made the Twins win the series is sheer folly. I'm not defending the call, but it didn't have any effect on that series.

Instead of Twins crying that they were robbed, they need to go out and get better players, that might put them over the top next season. They're not going to get it done with Pavano as one of their aces. Nick Punto hitting singles and faking like he's stealing home to 'rattle' the pitcher isn't winning any world serieses anytime soon imo.

DanG
10-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Instead of Twins crying that they were robbed, they need to go out and get better players, that might put them over the top next season.
I’m guessing that has occurred to them. Given that geography has caused apple & orange revenue streams what the Twins accomplish with a smart personal department is remarkable.