PDA

View Full Version : Query

highnote
10-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I'd like to know what the range of purse values are for $10,000 claiming races.

Can someone do a database query for that and display a list? It doesn't have to be perfect -- I'm just trying to get an idea.

Thanks.

Tom
10-09-2009, 05:39 PM
This is 2009 only, and all 10K races - open, nw lifetime conditions, and nw time conditions, in thousands of dollars.

Most common range is 10-17

highnote
10-10-2009, 04:19 AM
Thanks, Tom.

That's interesting. You mean there are 10k claiming races that are run for $4000 purses?

You'd think the purse would be close to the claiming value.

Can you do the same query for $5000 claimers? And I promise not to bother you any more. :)

markgoldie
10-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks, Tom.

That's interesting. You mean there are 10k claiming races that are run for $4000 purses?

You'd think the purse would be close to the claiming value.

Can you do the same query for $5000 claimers? And I promise not to bother you any more. :)
It seems to me that you may be driving at a flaw which exists when fig makers attempt to cross-reference the strength of races at different tracks. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Beyer's original methodology for making figs relevant from track to track was to consider $10,000 claimers the same at all venues. And if memory serves, such horses were assigned an 80 fig for a normal winning performance. This, then, served as a benchmark for assigning figs for all other classes.

However, as these purse discrepancies clearly point out, that assumption cannot be totally correct. When a $10,000 animal is racing for a purse of over $30,000, it's clear that owners and trainers are likely to risk better horses for the tag, knowing that a win will net far more than the horse's actual value. Conversely, at low-purse tracks, a horse may be entered for a $10,000 tag simply because it's evident that he's better than the horses racing for $7,500 (let's say). In turn, the $7,500's are only so designated by their superiority to a bottom rung, which may be $4,000.

This leads to an essential uselessness of figs for ship-in animals coming from different venues. Such discrepancies are well-known to the local bettors, but are simply confusing to those relying on figs in their handicapping. I have long felt that the fig makers need to do a better analysis of the strength differences of horses racing at particular tracks. One way would be to assess the performance of cross-shippers. But another way might be to take into consideration the purses at the given claiming level.

Tom
10-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Beyer has methods to validate shipper figures.

markgoldie
10-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Beyer has methods to validate shipper figures.
Good to know. But do they work? I routinely see Tampa shippers and East-coast shippers running off the TV in Ohio despite the same or even lesser numbers.

highnote
10-10-2009, 04:33 PM
It seems to me that you may be driving at a flaw which exists when fig makers attempt to cross-reference the strength of races at different tracks.

HUH? What are you talking about? I just wanted to know what the purse ranges are for $10k claiming races? What flaw is there in wanting to know the range?

I must confess, you've lost me.

Tom
10-10-2009, 05:11 PM
John, I get that other one aa soon as the contest is over.

highnote
10-10-2009, 08:48 PM
John, I get that other one aa soon as the contest is over.

Good luck with the contest!

Tom
10-11-2009, 01:22 AM
John, here are the 5,000 claimers.
One had a purse of only 1,000!

highnote
10-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Over 40% of 5k claiming races are run for more than $10k purses.

And over 50% of 5k claiming races are run for more than $9k.

I'm surprised that the purses are so lucrative. A lot of these 5k races must be at slots tracks.