PDA

View Full Version : THE GOODWOOD THE CANDYMAN CAN?

bisket
10-09-2009, 11:08 AM
put him in trifecta because you can even eat the dishes!!!
whoohoo!!! da bisket needs a new pair of shoes!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9zSR8bLraw&feature=related

joanied
10-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey bisket....thought you already got those shoes:D ...anyway, I hope so, 'cause I don't think the Candyman...can;)

This is one tough race...I think the field is great and it's almost anyone's race...my fear is that Calvin has no experience on this track (at least, I don't think so)...
if Col. John has a good trip...watch out...he's been a hard luck horse in most of his races...maybe things will go his way this time.
Can't count out Baffert here...and Richard's Kid is a very nice colt...
I've changed the order of my picks so many times now, I am really having a hard time with this one...but, guess I'll go with:
MTB
Richard's Kid
Tiago
Col. John

OR:) :

Col. John
MTB
Richard's Kid
Tiago

Good luck to everyone...I do hope MTB wins:jump:

the_fat_man
10-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Colonel John (assuming they give Gomez a sedative) and/or Parading

Black Ruby
10-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Will be interesting to see if the altitude training has any effect on MTB since he's been back at the home track.

gm10
10-09-2009, 03:55 PM
the_fat_man, who's that cyclist in your picture? the picture looks very familiar for some reason

Wrt the race ... I like Gitano Hernando. He was a sparkling winner last time. Kieren Fallon flying in for the ride, a good sign.

46zilzal
10-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Tiago and Colonel John (should they find their form again) will be coming late to tackle Informed and (if he runs the same way) Mine that Bird.

Agree that it is a very close contest

Indulto
10-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Colonel John (assuming they give Gomez a sedative) and/or ParadingBoth had trouble last time as did Informed in that same race. Richard's Kid beat all three, but now gets Solis who Baffert seldom rides. Tres Barrachos will not have Mast Track, Misremembered and Einstein at his throat this time and is better at 9f than 10f. I'll box 'em all in dime supers with the Bird and hope they finish in reverse odds sequence.

the_fat_man
10-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Both had trouble last time as did Informed in that same race. Richard's Kid beat all three, but now gets Solis who Baffert seldom rides. Tres Barrachos will not have Mast Track, Misremembered and Einstein at his throat this time and is better at 9f than 10f. I'll box 'em all in dime supers with the Bird and hope they finish in reverse odds sequence.

Whether a horse can get a particular distance is the key to betting artificial surfaces. Even differences of .5 furlongs can be significant.

CJ and Parading don't want 10F. And CJ certainly wasn't helped by that premature move by Gomez.

The time to bet Richard's Kid was last out, precisely because he could handle the distance (better than CJ, Parading, Rail Trip, Einstein, and the others) and figured to get a perfect setup.

I haven't looked at it closely yet but doubtful that TB can wire these going 9F. He'd probably have a better chance if they were going longer.

As for MTB, I just don't think he's as good as the top 2. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

11cashcall
10-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Tiago and Colonel John (should they find their form again) will be coming late to tackle Informed and (if he runs the same way) Mine that Bird.

Agree that it is a very close contest

I'm down with both fists on Tiago. :jump:

bisket
10-09-2009, 08:52 PM
every horse that everyone has mentioned could be there at the wire, but da bisket has a sweet tooth this weekend. i'll have to be sure to brush and floss tomorrow evening. why will the captain win? well because 1 1/8 mile is his distance. he's coming into this race perfect, and he's better now than he was last spring. there was the candyman before the el cajon and there's the candyman after the cajon!! he has a bullet to his name and just missed a bullet at 6 furs next work. if he gets a place to run in the stretch he's your winner. yes the same can be said for colonal john, but hey he's gonna be 2-1, and the captain is gonna be 8-1. racing luck pays better with the captain :ThmbUp: . richards kid will be there at the end, but 1 1/8 mile is to short for him. the colonal and mtb will be there. maybe a 4 horse boxed tri? with a win bet on the candyman? i dunno i'll see tomorrow. i have a wedding to attend so i'll have to put my wager in tomorrow morning.
plus i reallly want to hear: "HERE COMES THE CAPTAIN" and it mean as much to me as it did this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBoZTsHbk3E
gary capuano missed it by that much!!!!!
the captain gets up this time though whooohoo!!!!

bisket
10-09-2009, 09:54 PM
a couple more thoughts on some of the other entries. the goodwood and the classic are the races sherrifs is pointing tiago to. shirrefs is the carl nafzger of trainers nowadays. he points his charges to certain races, and they always show a good accounting for themselves in that race. tiago will be in the boxed tri, and i may throw some coin on his nose also. i don't see how i can keep the colonal out of the tri either. although i do have some doubts about his form. he may be a last minute drop. i dunno. richards kid will show up, but i think this distance will be to short for him. parading is one that may get in the tri in the colonals place. this is the distance that parading has had his best races at, and i gonna probably put him in. its gonna be between parading and the colonal for that 4th horse in the tri box, and how i do with this decision may be the difference between collecting and frustration. it may end up being a tri wheel. i'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

WinterTriangle
10-10-2009, 05:19 AM
It's done nothing but be cold and rainy here, chocolate and cocoa in the next sound good to me. :)

I think Monzante also will hit the top 4 in the Goodwood-- He's run with Whatsthescript, Monterrey jazz, Lava Man, etc. and always makes a decent account of himself. He's got good speed and a good turn of foot to close and has won and been ITM at this distance.

---I'll play Chocolate Candy, Colonel John, Tiago and Monzante, and throw in MTB for sentimental choice. May throw in Informed if I play a super.

Tres Borrachos looks like he could do something here, but I have to leave him off the ticket, don't think he'll be there at the end. Gitano is in top form, but I suspect he needs more distance? Last decision was between Tiago and peaking Richard's Kid, and I chose Tiago. if he's in form, there's no contest between the 2 IMHO, his speed on AW is way higher. Mine that Bird on pro-ride is a bit perplexing, he's my sentimental pick so I will include him.

Java Gold@TFT
10-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Did I miss something here? Tiago has run 10 times since the beginning of 2008 and has exactly ONE win and that was on real dirt. Exotics, maybe, win, no way. Colenal John and Parading if he looks as good on the track as he did before the Pac Classic.

OTM Al
10-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Did I miss something here? Tiago has run 10 times since the beginning of 2008 and has exactly ONE win and that was on real dirt. Exotics, maybe, win, no way. Colenal John and Parading if he looks as good on the track as he did before the Pac Classic.

Tiago is a definite underneath play, but he is generally a complete waste of money on top. Dedicated closers simply do not win very often and it won't be worth the price he goes off at. Never has been.

bisket
10-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Tiago is a definite underneath play, but he is generally a complete waste of money on top. Dedicated closers simply do not win very often and it won't be worth the price he goes off at. Never has been.
not on the poly

bisket
10-10-2009, 10:37 AM
my bets
10$ex box
:1: choc candy
:3: rich's kid
2$ tri box
:1: candy
:7: parading
10$ win
:1: choc candy

Bochall
10-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Parading should trip well but dont know if he's good enough...hell, I dont know anything about these poly races!

jognlope
10-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Today's racing is unbelievable. Don't forget Dublin running today. Wooley just said the distance might be a little short for MTB, that he only runs the face the last 3/8. Zenyatta too today going for 13th win, as if I needed to tell you this!

GaryG
10-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I see #4 COLONEL JOHN as a relatively solid choice in the Goodwood with #7 PARADING as a possible upsetter.

In the Lady's Secret #1 COCOA BEACH is coming back to top form and could upset Z.

Good luck to all.

WinterTriangle
10-10-2009, 02:20 PM

I don't play SA a lot, but stalkers/pacesetters seem to do good, closers once in a while too. I am only using Tiago in my exotics.

jognlope
10-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Are they on ESPN?

Java Gold@TFT
10-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Are they on ESPN?
ESPN Classic.

Hanover1
10-10-2009, 03:41 PM
They sendin Colonel John off as early favorite, however a slight choice. Its his to lose. Tiago has had "issues" for most of his career, but cannot knock connections. Colonel, at his best should handle it well imo. Baffert starting 2 youngsters at prohibitive favorite status today as well.....

Java Gold@TFT
10-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Depending on what I see in the post parade and paddock it will be Colonel John and Parading on top with combinations of Tiago and Gitano Hernando underneath.

Maybe something like a tri of
:4: , :7: / :4: :7: :8: / :2: :4: :7: :8: which would be $16 for a $2 tri bet. Or maybe throw the Euro in to the top group for an extra $8. Depends on how they look on the track.

joanied
10-10-2009, 04:21 PM
ESPN Classic.

Yep...in hi-def:jump: :jump: :jump:

tucker6
10-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Yep...in hi-def:jump: :jump: :jump:
don't you have frozen beets to harvest?? ;) I guess winter started early this year.

Just sit back and relax and enjoy the racing. Unbelievable racing day.

bisket
10-10-2009, 05:55 PM
race 6
5$ exacta box
:8: allicansayis wow
:10: whatsthescript

bisket
10-10-2009, 06:17 PM
5$ win
:8: allicansayis wow

gm10
10-10-2009, 07:01 PM
GET IN
GITANO HERNANDO WINS

massive boost for my BC bankroll

jognlope
10-10-2009, 07:01 PM
I just think MTB ran fine leading up to BC.... really game on that surface.

Tom
10-10-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't think winning was his goal today.
He ran a nice race to build on, got his feet over the track.

Depending on his works coming up.......

WinterTriangle
10-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Wrt the race ... I like Gitano Hernando. He was a sparkling winner last time. Kieren Fallon flying in for the ride, a good sign.

Good hit!

From everything I read, Gitano came into the race in the best form. I just didn't believe, his pedigree was so much 1 1/4 rather than 1 1/8. Not a big difference, but I really thought he needed longer, as does Tiago and Chocolate Candy.

It's starting already....the euro's kickin butt on the plastic. ;)

JavaGold, hope you ended up throwing him up on top of your exotics. :)

bisket
10-10-2009, 07:21 PM
3$ ex box
4 life is sweet
8 anabaa's creation
3$ win both horses

bisket
10-10-2009, 07:24 PM
the_fat_man, who's that cyclist in your picture? the picture looks very familiar for some reason

nice win!!!!!!! i just didn't think that horse would be in the same league with these. says alot about the group running regularly in california :confused:

bisket
10-10-2009, 07:29 PM
rich's kid still will move forward off that race. it was just to short for him. i think his best spot may be the marathon for the breeders cup

Java Gold@TFT
10-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Good hit!

From everything I read, Gitano came into the race in the best form. I just didn't believe, his pedigree was so much 1 1/4 rather than 1 1/8. Not a big difference, but I really thought he needed longer, as does Tiago and Chocolate Candy.

It's starting already....the euro's kickin butt on the plastic. ;)

JavaGold, hope you ended up throwing him up on top of your exotics. :)
WT, ended up witht he exacta but Richard's Kid cost me the tri by a neck over Parading for third. Pretty much played it like I said I would and after the post parade did out Gitano in the top slot also.

Bobzilla
10-10-2009, 07:37 PM
GET IN
GITANO HERNANDO WINS

massive boost for my BC bankroll

Good hit gm10!! Must have been the ol' Wolverhampton to Santa Anita angle ;) I've heard such good things about. I'm beginning to wonder if STS's 'C' game could win the Classic on this surface. Anyway, congrats!

bisket
10-10-2009, 08:14 PM
candy just isn't in the same league with this crowd. thats probably the best he's got.

WinterTriangle
10-10-2009, 08:22 PM
candy just isn't in the same league with this crowd. thats probably the best he's got.

CC has never been very fast. I believe, like your Richard's Kid, he need some distance. CC has a ton of stamina, in a long race where the speed can't finish, he would shine, IMHO. He's always struck me as a horse who should be racing in Europe, in long races.

the_fat_man
10-10-2009, 08:22 PM

He did get the best trip in the race, didn't he.;)

bisket
10-10-2009, 08:31 PM
you can look at a race like candy's second in the el cajon, and say he's improving. he's 3 year old and sometimes a race like that is an indication he's getting better. its all relative. with a play like this you only have to be right 1 out of 4-5 times. the fact is after watching today it wasn't a race he was building off of. it was the best he could do. thats ok. i didn't think colonal john's form was improving. i think he won't even be in the money in the classic. richard's kid will be in the trifecta. i truly don't think baffert has reached the bottom of him yet. he'll be better in the classic. i don't know if he's a winner, but he'll improve even more!!!!

bisket
10-10-2009, 09:07 PM
to put things into perspective. all rich's kid would have had to do is run his usual 24 second last 1/4, and he runs the 1 1/4 mile in 2 minutes flat. that gets him in the ballpark in the classic. he has improved even more off his win in the pac classic. he's a little quicker than last month, and staying a little closer to the pace.

WinterTriangle
10-10-2009, 09:10 PM
i truly don't think baffert has reached the bottom of him yet. he'll be better in the classic. i don't know if he's a winner, but he'll improve even more!!!!

I think part of the equation is give a good horse to baffert, and if it's at SA, you can't underestimate. He's brilliant at develooping horses for this venue.