PDA

View Full Version : A Really Bad Day

Jay Trotter
10-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Unlike my namesake who had "a really good day" I had one of those days you just want to forget! So why share it here? Well, I guess misery loves company and to not share my misfortune would not do the day justice ...

I went to the track today with no pre-cappin' and ended up playing the simulcasts from Belmont, Meadowlands, Laurel and Hawthorne; just some relaxing action bets.

I started off thinking I'll just chip away and grow the old bankroll nice and steady. This plan seemed to go swimmingly as I hit four straight winners at Belmont 1 & 2, Laurel 1 and Meadowlands 1 before finally missing at Laurel 2 and passing on Meadowlands 2 and Belmont 3. After missing at Laurel 3 I fell back into my bad habit of wanting to hit something big and started playing Trifectas! This is where things went off the rails....

Tri 1 - Meadowlands 4
Bet: 2 - 3,8 - 3,7,8
Result: $1 Trifecta (2-7-8) Paid $225.60
#7 was a sweet 21-1 Shot! I get nothing! :bang:

Tri 2 - Meadowlands 5
Bet: 5 - 3 - 2,4,8,9
Result: $1 Trifecta (5-9-3) Paid $2,728.20
#5 (8-1); #9 (12-1); #3 (100-1)
#3 was photoed out for the two spot at the wire! Again, I get nothing! :bang:
Sidebar here: $1 Superfecta (5-9-3-10) Paid $131,553.50 :eek:
You can't be serious!

Tri 3 - Meadowlands 6
Bet: 6 - 3 - 1,2,4
Result: $1 Trifecta (6-2-4) Paid $108.20
Sheesh! :bang:

Tri 4 - Hawthorne 3
Bet: 8 - 3,4 - 1,3,4
Result: $2 Trifecta (6-3-1) Paid $130.20
Okay, I can accept a clear loss!

Tri 5 - Meadowlands 7
Bet: 9 - 2,5 - 2,3,5,6,8
Result: $1 Trifecta (2-9-5) Paid $50.50
Come on! Stop the pain! :bang:

Tri 6 - Laurel 5
Bet: 1 - 5 - 4,6
Result: $2 Trifecta (7-2-8) Paid $1,521.60
Not a good job here! I can live with that.

Tri 7 - Meadowlands 8
Bet: 4 - 3,5 - 1,3,5,6
Result: $1 Trifecta (5-4-3) Paid $58.50
Just kill me already! Okay, its time to go home! :(

A typical day for a tightwod player who is a decent capper but a very lousy bettor! Bash away -- I deserve it! Maybe, you could sprinkle in some bet structuring ideas while you're at it.

bigmack
10-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Tri 2 - Meadowlands 5
Bet: 5 - 3 - 2,4,8,9
Result: $1 Trifecta (5-9-3) Paid $2,728.20
#5 (8-1); #9 (12-1); #3 (100-1)
#3 was photoed out for the two spot at the wire! Again, I get nothing! :bang:
Sidebar here: $1 Superfecta (5-9-3-10) Paid $131,553.50 :eek:
You can't be serious!
They weren't serious. The entire pool was $15K

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_8_09_19_03_53.png

statepierback
10-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Most likely the only winning tickets were 10 cent ones.

Canarsie
10-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Most likely the only winning tickets were 10 cent ones.

I was at the Meadowlands today and they announced the payoff off for a dime at the track. Some ADW's and other sites will tell you the payout for $1 or $2 even though not a sole hit it..

My friend once took down the whole P4 at Laurel for 17 grand for a buck and they announced the payout at 34k.

thespaah
10-08-2009, 11:22 PM
correct...

takeout
10-09-2009, 02:26 AM
I hate that crap and they do it everywhere. :mad:

Java Gold@TFT
10-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Jay, I feel for you. Like your namesakea after I hit few races in a row I get to feel invincible and end up betting stupid things that I never would otherwise. Don't even go near a poker table with me if I have pocket tens. Someone with an ace-four will draw an ace on the river. If I could bet as well as I handicap I wouldn't have to worry about other work. Better luck next week.

thespaah
10-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Jay, I feel for you. Like your namesakea after I hit few races in a row I get to feel invincible and end up betting stupid things that I never would otherwise. Don't even go near a poker table with me if I have pocket tens. Someone with an ace-four will draw an ace on the river. If I could bet as well as I handicap I wouldn't have to worry about other work. Better luck next week.or some douche bag with 10-5 stays in the big blind cuz nobody raised pre flop while I have suited connectors and I'm out of postion. My stupidity for not raising. But then the 10-5 guy pairs his 10 on the flop and slow plays it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... WTF is someone staying in with 10-5 unsuited for? :mad:
Anyway. At the track ,no matter what I stay within myslef. I don't get off the plan and start trying to hit the bog one. It never happens. Budget and manage my money..
Off to Lexington this AM ..Be at Keeneland tomorrow..
First time there...First time 'capping poly:confused:

Java Gold@TFT
10-09-2009, 08:41 AM
spahh, enjoy Keeneland. I haven't been since the poly went in but it is a very nice track with a paddock that can only be rivaled by Saratoga. If you have the time please go to the Kentucky Horse Park or call ahead for a tour of any one of the local breeding farms. You won't be disappointed.

Pace Cap'n
10-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Wow, that was brutal.

Now for the advice: Spend more money on a ticket.

Tri 1: missed for $4, would have hit for $6. (2 / 3 7 8 / 3 7 8)

Tri 2: missed for $4, would have hit for $20. (5 / 2 3 4 8 9 / 2 3 4 8 9)

Tri 3: missed for $3, would have hit for $12. (6 / 1 2 3 4 / 1 2 3 4)

Tri 4: SOL

The rest: Hmmm, better luck next time.

PS: Like I'm one to be giving advice! :)

OTM Al
10-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Pretty much my whole first half of the year. Your betting style I think may be similar to mine and it does cause losing streaks even when you are selecting pretty well.I'm trying to alter things a bit. I am generally an exacta bettor who will dabble in P4s if I have strong feelings on at least 1 race in the sequence. I now try to include win bets when I like a 10-1 or better for the win, use of tris to hedge against split exactas ie if you like 1//2+3, bet that exacta but also a 1 // ALL // 2+3 tri (thanks cj's dad!). Things have picked up a bit. No big ones yet, but at least holding my own again.

thespaah
10-09-2009, 09:31 AM
spahh, enjoy Keeneland. I haven't been since the poly went in but it is a very nice track with a paddock that can only be rivaled by Saratoga. If you have the time please go to the Kentucky Horse Park or call ahead for a tour of any one of the local breeding farms. You won't be disappointed.Looks like we're gonna go to the KY Horse Park on Sunday. Opens at 9am.....

thespaah
10-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Wow, that was brutal.

Now for the advice: Spend more money on a ticket.

Tri 1: missed for $4, would have hit for $6. (2 / 3 7 8 / 3 7 8)

Tri 2: missed for $4, would have hit for $20. (5 / 2 3 4 8 9 / 2 3 4 8 9)

Tri 3: missed for $3, would have hit for $12. (6 / 1 2 3 4 / 1 2 3 4)

Tri 4: SOL

The rest: Hmmm, better luck next time.

PS: Like I'm one to be giving advice! :)
I bet trsi like this...1/2 over 1234 over 1234.... $1 base ...costs me $12...If I have a real bomb that looks like a can't miss. I'll take that one and put it over 4 horses under/under.
I have never hit anything huge..I think the biggest trifecta I ever hit paid like $300 for $1...But I'd rather go for logical horses and hit 3 or four $100 payoffs rather than try to hit big long shot horses.

the_fat_man
10-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Here's a perspective from someone who plays, at most, 2 number exotics.

If you play a lot of combinations, you will hit more races, with LOWER payouts (in relation to money bet).
I don't play exotics to take 3:1. Hell, I don't take 3:1 on a win bet.

If you play minimal tickets, there'll be MANY instances where your horses will come in but not in the order that you played. When you hit, however, the payouts will be significantly higher (in terms of money bet).

Sitting around after the fact and pointing to instances where you might've hit if you did the 'correct' thing, while failing to mention that doing the 'correct' thing consistently will get you busted in a week, is probably not the way to go.

boomman
10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=thespaah]or some douche bag with 10-5 stays in the big blind cuz nobody raised pre flop while I have suited connectors and I'm out of postion. My stupidity for not raising. But then the 10-5 guy pairs his 10 on the flop and slow plays it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... WTF is someone staying in with 10-5 unsuited for? :mad:

Should he just throw his hand away from the big blind when nobody raised??:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boomer

thespaah
10-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Here's a perspective from someone who plays, at most, 2 number exotics.

If you play a lot of combinations, you will hit more races, with LOWER payouts (in relation to money bet).
I don't play exotics to take 3:1. Hell, I don't take 3:1 on a win bet.

If you play minimal tickets, there'll be MANY instances where your horses will come in but not in the order that you played. When you hit, however, the payouts will be significantly higher (in terms of money bet).

Sitting around after the fact and pointing to instances where you might've hit if you did the 'correct' thing, while failing to mention that doing the 'correct' thing consistently will get you busted in a week, is probably not the way to go.you make goodo bservations.,
Here's the rub.
Successful wagering is all about money managment.
If a person has a $200 bankroll to start the day, he/she can only play a certain amount of combinations in a given race. One way around this issue is to skip races that either have little value.
A person with a say, a $1000 bankroll can go deeper into a race BUT he must also take care to budget his bankroll.
I am a small player. My budget on a given day can be as little as $200 or so. It depends. I bet wisely and will hit just as many races as the next guy. I juts have ot me more precise in my picks. Sort of like closing down the choke on a shotgun if you will.

Cubbymac26
10-12-2009, 02:48 AM
[QUOTE=thespaah]or some douche bag with 10-5 stays in the big blind cuz nobody raised pre flop while I have suited connectors and I'm out of postion. My stupidity for not raising. But then the 10-5 guy pairs his 10 on the flop and slow plays it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... WTF is someone staying in with 10-5 unsuited for? :mad:

Should he just throw his hand away from the big blind when nobody raised??:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boomer

Hahaha I'm starting to wonder is this pace advantage or 2+2 poker forum :lol: