PDA

View Full Version : Question on Keeping Records

aharon5741
10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
I am playing the full card at Oak Tree 3-4 times a week. Win bets only, and I put these in early in the morning before some of the scratches. For example today 3 of my horses scratched, 2 won and 3 lost. How do I account for the scratches in my record keeping? Do I just leave those races out as if I never bet them at all?

Track Collector
10-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I am playing the full card at Oak Tree 3-4 times a week. Win bets only, and I put these in early in the morning before some of the scratches. For example today 3 of my horses scratched, 2 won and 3 lost. How do I account for the scratches in my record keeping? Do I just leave those races out as if I never bet them at all?

Yes.

CBedo
10-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I am playing the full card at Oak Tree 3-4 times a week. Win bets only, and I put these in early in the morning before some of the scratches. For example today 3 of my horses scratched, 2 won and 3 lost. How do I account for the scratches in my record keeping? Do I just leave those races out as if I never bet them at all?Definitely, that is the correct way. If you include them as a bet and return of monies, you will distort your return calculations, and possibly your hit rate.

That does not mean you shouldn't keep track of them. Just don't count them in your amounts wagered and returned.

misscashalot
10-08-2009, 10:15 PM

I do the same record keeping as you described. When that happens to me, almost every day, I delete them like they never existed. Or if you want to keep a record of scratched horses, have a separate col in your dB and put an x in the cell in the col of the scratched horse so you can sort them in or out as needed. My suggestion is if you have any thought that scratched info will be important some time in the future, make the col now. If you wait and don't do it, it's hard to reconstruct that data. When it doubt....do it.

Triopstor
10-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I think the correct course of action is to not pretend that "scratches" raced and lost in the race even though they were not there. To do so will inflate the losing streaks of a wagering system. I used to do that but had a bad experience when including "scratches" as supposed runners in preliminary studies. Also adding "scratch" horses as if they ran and lost the race will depreciate any wagering system from making profits more accurately. I'm concluding that is what you are asking.

Still is a good idea to keep record of scratches as you are capable of calculating a separate selection system based upon scratches. Keep in mind the horse may have been sick.

markgoldie
10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Well, did you bet them? The only reason to keep records on pre-selected horses who were scratched is if you are planning to enter a contest to see who can pick the most subsequently-scratched animals.

HUSKER55
10-09-2009, 10:40 AM
The reason for the scratch would make a difference. Some of those that get scratched run a race within a week or so. Sometimes, it is worth noting for future reference. The trainer felt the horses chance of winning was better in another race. If that were true then what did you miss? The trainer thought his chances were better elsewhere.

Just a thought