PDA

View Full Version : ACORN or First responders????

newtothegame
10-08-2009, 04:30 AM
Firefighters Lose Large U.S. Grant to ACORN

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:30 AM

By: Audrey Hudson, Washington Times Article Font Size http://www.newsmax.com/images/layout/minus.jpg (javascript:setActiveStyleSheet('default');) http://www.newsmax.com/images/layout/plus.jpg (javascript:setActiveStyleSheet('largeFont');)
Nearly $1 million in Homeland Security funding typically earmarked for fire departments has been awarded to ACORN, despite a clear signal from Congress that it intends to cut off federal funding to the embattled group.

The grant to ACORN's Louisiana office became public on Oct. 2, less than three weeks after the House and Senate voted to cut off ACORN funding after employees were caught on video advising a fake prostitute and pimp on scams.

It was one of only three such grants issued to the state and made up almost 80 percent of the firefighting money earmarked for Louisiana, prompting one of the U.S. senators from the state to demand that the funds be taken back.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/acorn_grant/2009/10/07/269345.html

Tom
10-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Our congress is full of liars. Go figure.

JustRalph
10-08-2009, 07:00 PM
I think I might start setting fires in Louisiana if I was really pissed about it.

And that's a prediction....................

newtothegame
10-08-2009, 07:24 PM
I think I might start setting fires in Louisiana if I was really pissed about it.

And that's a prediction....................

Hey...now I do live here..(although sometimes I even question if I should lol):lol: :lol:

mostpost
10-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey...now I do live here..(although sometimes I even question if I should lol):lol: :lol:
Later story from the same Washington Times and the same reporter.
http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-grants-help/articles/596153-Officials-ACORN-will-not-get-DHS-firefighting-grant/
excerpt:
WASHINGTON — Obama administration officials said Wednesday there is no chance that ACORN will get a Homeland Security grant it was awarded last month because of a provision in a bill signed into law last week prohibiting any federal funding to the controversial group.

Basically this story said that the money was awarded to Acorn prior to the video sting and congressional decision to end funding. The money was awarded but not disbursed and due to the action of Congress it will not be paid out.

As to the question of why ACORN should get money dedicated to firefighting. From the same story:
He (FEMA spokesman Brent Colburn) added that the grant was made originally only after "members of the firefighting community" led a review of it.

Tom
10-08-2009, 09:15 PM
What does "members of the firefighting community mean? Obviously, you bought it.

newtothegame
10-08-2009, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=mostpost]

Basically this story said that the money was awarded to Acorn prior to the video sting and congressional decision to end funding. The money was awarded but not disbursed and due to the action of Congress it will not be paid out.
QUOTE]

apparently, Acorn doesn't think it will get defended by congress......

ACORN CEO Doubts Congress Will Defund ACORN ‘Because We Actually Do The Right Thing’
Thursday, October 08, 2009
By Nicholas Ballasy, Video Reporter

(CNSNews.com) - Bertha Lewis, CEO of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), said on Tuesday that she doubts Congress will ultimately defund her organization "because we actually do the right thing."

The House of Representatives has already overwhelmingly approved an amendment to deny ACORN all federal funding and the Senate has overwhelmingly approved two amendments--one that would deny ACORN any funding through the Department of Housing and Urban Development and another that would deny ACORN any funding through the Department of Interior.

“We didn’t have government funding for years,” Lewis said. “We may not have government funding in the future. I doubt it, because we actually do the right thing and perform. But if we don’t [have government funding], ACORN will still go on with its member and its donors.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/55180

mostpost
10-08-2009, 11:13 PM
What does "members of the firefighting community mean? Obviously, you bought it.
It means that there is always a peer review of any funding given by FEMA. So if the funding is to go to the police or public safety, people who work in those fields review the possible recipients and decide if they are qualified to receive the award. I don't know exactly what "members of the firefighting community" means, but I think I would not be far off if I said FEMA maintains advisory committees on several disciplines and it was one of those committees which Ok'd this grant.
But, once again, you missed the main thrust of my post, which was to inform that the grant money would not be going to ACORN. So you can stop the wailing and ganashing of teeth.

mostpost
10-08-2009, 11:21 PM
apparently, Acorn doesn't think it will get defended by congress......
Did you mean defunded?

I was not attempting to advocate government funding of ACORN. Nor was I defending past actions by ACORN. This time. I was merely pointing out that the same people (Washington Times) and the same reporter (Audrey Hudson) published a later story in which they said they had erred and ACORN was NOT receiving the funding mentioned in their first story.
I did this so Tom and Boxcar can sleep well tonight. :lol: :lol:

Tom
10-08-2009, 11:35 PM
I guess things must be slow at the old dead letter office tonight.
You find that somehow personally enriching that some reporter made a mistake?

I bet you got a tingly feeling up your leg.

newtothegame
10-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Did you mean defunded?

I was not attempting to advocate government funding of ACORN. Nor was I defending past actions by ACORN. This time. I was merely pointing out that the same people (Washington Times) and the same reporter (Audrey Hudson) published a later story in which they said they had erred and ACORN was NOT receiving the funding mentioned in their first story.
I did this so Tom and Boxcar can sleep well tonight. :lol: :lol:

LOL yeah I meant defunded. And my point was to your post where you implied ACORN would not get the money I had shown an article for. What I am saying is that ACORN's ceo is now saying that acorn doesnt believe it will be defunded. Hmmmm wonder who is telling the truth...congress...or acorn??? Seems congress (democrats) would stand to lose alot if they defund acorn. I mean there is a track record of potential voter registration fraud along with many other found guilty of crimes by acorn. :lol: