PDA

View Full Version : kick-back

senortout
10-07-2009, 11:20 AM
It's a known fact, some(all) horses object to clods of dirt hitting them. What I would like to know is:

1)Is the clod worse from a divot(turf), or loose dirt from the main track?
2)Does head carriage have anything to do with the seriousness of dirt(divot) hitting the horse?....some run win their heads way low for instance.
3)Are jockeys subject to the same dislike, and in various degrees as well? I am assuming this is the case.
4)Now, rate the effect of clods from various surfaces

a-dirt
b-sloppy dirt
c-muddy dirt
d-good dirt
e-dry poly
f-wet poly
g-firm turf
h-good turf
i - heavy or yielding turf

perhaps someone on the board can give some first hand observations about these various conditions....granting that the off conditions usually are accompanied by less than desirable weather, which tends to put a damper on everything, right?

lamboguy
10-07-2009, 11:34 AM
first hand i can tell you except for polytrack, funnycyde did not like dirt, dirt in his face, mud, slop or turf and hated to be under tack until we gelded him.

46zilzal
10-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Each track, each day is unique. Stepping on a particular solid piece of dirt is random.

Some tolerate it better than others

Hanover1
10-07-2009, 12:03 PM
It's a known fact, some(all) horses object to clods of dirt hitting them. What I would like to know is:

1)Is the clod worse from a divot(turf), or loose dirt from the main track?
2)Does head carriage have anything to do with the seriousness of dirt(divot) hitting the horse?....some run win their heads way low for instance.
3)Are jockeys subject to the same dislike, and in various degrees as well? I am assuming this is the case.
4)Now, rate the effect of clods from various surfaces

a-dirt
b-sloppy dirt
c-muddy dirt
d-good dirt
e-dry poly
f-wet poly
g-firm turf
h-good turf
i - heavy or yielding turf

perhaps someone on the board can give some first hand observations about these various conditions....granting that the off conditions usually are accompanied by less than desirable weather, which tends to put a damper on everything, right? Pointless questions with irrelevant answers. Its simpler that that....Boy comes back, informs trainer colt dont like dirt in face, horse gets clean trips when possible. Some can be convinced, others get worse about it. fillies get rank-get clean trip....texture of clod/divot means nothing-its the touching thing........

senortout
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
about the answers I expected, and yeah, I did feel a bit silly asking the questions, I'll admit that!

still, a constant spray of dirt running behind others on a dirt track must seem more annoying to both horse and jockey, than the occasional clod thrown up in a turf event......so many elements in a race, eh?...maybe the occasional clod would be MORE disconcerting..who knows?

lamboguy
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Pointless questions with irrelevant answers. Its simpler that that....Boy comes back, informs trainer colt dont like dirt in face, horse gets clean trips when possible. Some can be convinced, others get worse about it. fillies get rank-get clean trip....texture of clod/divot means nothing-its the touching thing........there is no question that is pointless. the man is obviously new to the sport, we should wecome him instead of scaring him away because he wants to ask a question because he wants to get involved in the game.

senortout
10-07-2009, 12:45 PM
there is no question that is pointless. the man is obviously new to the sport, we should wecome him instead of scaring him away because he wants to ask a question because he wants to get involved in the game.

thanks for your support, but no....this board is fair, for the most part. Except when politics is thrown into the mix. Then, its 'Katie, bar the door'!

senortout

bisket
10-07-2009, 05:31 PM
the only time i'm really concerned about this is runners coming from poly to dirt particularly derby day. its next to impossible to give a colt a clean trip in that race. although pon snuck up and bit me in the arse this year.

46zilzal
10-07-2009, 05:34 PM
I have heard interviews with riders who talk of frozen chunks of the course flying back at them in the coldest part of the winter cutting both them and the horses.