PDA

View Full Version : Running On Synthetics Like Running On Velcro

David-LV
10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Shirreffs: Running on synthetics like running on velcro (http://horseracing.bloginky.com/2009/10/06/shirreffs-running-on-synthetics-like-running-on-velcro/)

Posted by Alicia Wincze on October 6, 2009

With the Breeders’ Cup at Santa Anita Park just one month away and Keeneland’s Fall meet kicking off this Friday, one can bet the already heated debate surrounding the merits of synthetic tracks will be continue to be one of the foremost issues in the racing community.

California-based trainer John Shirreffs, who conditions undefeated champion Zenyatta, has long been a vocal opponent of synthetic tracks and, during a national teleconference today, he detailed why he feels the surface does more harm than good in developing young prospects.

“I personally hate synthetics,” Shirreffs said. “I’m more into developing young horses and I find that young horses really don’t like training on synthetics. I don’t know if you can imagine training on Velcro. When the foot lands, it doesn’t slide, it sticks to the ground. Depending on how synthetic the surface is, the horse can’t rotate the foot into the track and push off.

“Imagine running around flat-footed all the time without getting up on your toes and pushing off,” Shirreffs continued. “That’s probably how it would feel to a human.”

http://horseracing.bloginky.com/2009/10/06/shirreffs-running-
on-synthetics-like-running-on-velcro/

tzipi
10-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Interesting. Yeah "Polyturfdirt" is really not accepted by alot of trainers. I mean some are forced to run on it because it's where they are but most hate the way is rides for horses. Most trainers out here will not even run a horse on it unless it REALLY worsth trying money wise. I know John Kimmel out here in NY hates it and has backed out of races he's pointed to before because they're now run on Poly.

Saw the recent Pletcher comment on the forum too. I'll have to agree with these guys.

Java Gold@TFT
10-07-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm still not sure when I read comments from So Cal racing officials where they are finding the trainers who say they like the stuff. I've never seen any comment from a trainer who says he likes it. Mostly just kind words because they have to live with it in order to earn a living. Look at a list of the top ten trainers in the country and I could probably find quotes from each of them that they don't want to run their horses on the synth but feel forced to.

Moyers Pond
10-07-2009, 08:45 AM
This trainer is not really fair. You need to differentiate surfaces. Tapeta is great. The synthetic at Keeneland, Turfway, and Arlington have been great.

The CA surfaces have been shaky. They should have fixed their foundation and stuck with dirt. The thing with CA is that they have issues with hot dry weather which means they will never really figure out the surfaces.

I noticed the critics of synthetics never bring up the safety of dirt tracks. There have been quite a few big name horses hurt on dirt tracks. Barbaro, and Eight Belles come to mind. Two different dirt tracks. If you want to go to tracks like Belmont I can name quite a few big name horses hurt there as well. This filly named Ruffian and a great horse name Timely Writer are actually buried there.

You have to look at each track separately. I think the biggest criticism of the synthetics though is they have no lived up to their billing. But they are still cheap to take care of and they have made the Europeans very happy.

Every situation has it's winners and losers.

If you asked me the Americans have racing all backwards. It is ridiculous they run on dirt. They need to do what the Europeans do and have real race courses. Not dirt ovals where they keep the horses that are going to race in stalls all day. It is idiotic.

Bobzilla
10-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Interesting. Yeah "Polyturfdirt" is really not accepted by alot of trainers. I mean some are forced to run on it because it's where they are but most hate the way is rides for horses. Most trainers out here will not even run a horse on it unless it REALLY worsth trying money wise. I know John Kimmel out here in NY hates it and has backed out of races he's pointed to before because they're now run on Poly.

Saw the recent Pletcher comment on the forum too. I'll have to agree with these guys.

Interesting point of view on the part of Kimmel who I believe is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania school of veterinary medicine and once had a veterinary practice before becoming a trainer. I've always been surprised by the lack of consensus on this topic by members of the veterinary community.

Bobzilla
10-07-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm still not sure when I read comments from So Cal racing officials where they are finding the trainers who say they like the stuff. I've never seen any comment from a trainer who says he likes it. Mostly just kind words because they have to live with it in order to earn a living. Look at a list of the top ten trainers in the country and I could probably find quotes from each of them that they don't want to run their horses on the synth but feel forced to.

I think you're right. I think some who were initially enthusiastic about the conversions have become a little more reserved. Although I'm certain trainers such as Ron Ellis and Eoin Harty continue to be strong supporters.

Some trainers, such as Baffert and Shirreffs, have always had their reservations about the conversions. For awhile it was thought by some that their reservations were born from frustration and lack of success with the surfaces, but when we note who the winning trainers of G1 races were at the most recent Del Mar meet than I think we can safely throw that misguided notion out the window.

andymays
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
It wears out with usage, weather, and maintenance!

PaceAdvantage
10-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I noticed the critics of synthetics never bring up the safety of dirt tracks. There have been quite a few big name horses hurt on dirt tracks. Barbaro, and Eight Belles come to mind. Two different dirt tracks. If you want to go to tracks like Belmont I can name quite a few big name horses hurt there as well. This filly named Ruffian and a great horse name Timely Writer are actually buried there.You're not being honest with yourself here. If we're unfortunate enough to have synthetics stick around as long as dirt tracks have been in business, I guarantee you "quite a few big name horses" will be buried underneath them as well...

Imriledup
10-08-2009, 03:33 AM
This trainer is not really fair. You need to differentiate surfaces. Tapeta is great. The synthetic at Keeneland, Turfway, and Arlington have been great.

The CA surfaces have been shaky. They should have fixed their foundation and stuck with dirt. The thing with CA is that they have issues with hot dry weather which means they will never really figure out the surfaces.

I noticed the critics of synthetics never bring up the safety of dirt tracks. There have been quite a few big name horses hurt on dirt tracks. Barbaro, and Eight Belles come to mind. Two different dirt tracks. If you want to go to tracks like Belmont I can name quite a few big name horses hurt there as well. This filly named Ruffian and a great horse name Timely Writer are actually buried there.

You have to look at each track separately. I think the biggest criticism of the synthetics though is they have no lived up to their billing. But they are still cheap to take care of and they have made the Europeans very happy.

Every situation has it's winners and losers.

If you asked me the Americans have racing all backwards. It is ridiculous they run on dirt. They need to do what the Europeans do and have real race courses. Not dirt ovals where they keep the horses that are going to race in stalls all day. It is idiotic.

Barbaro and Ruffian's injuries were not dirt track injuries, they were injured before they raced. Both hit the gate and were injured and then broke down shortly afterwards. They would have both broken down on synthetic also as they were flawed as the gates opened, their injuries were not dirt specific injuries.

Java Gold@TFT
10-08-2009, 04:17 AM
The one and only reason that synths haven't had a "big name" breakdown is simply that they have only been in place for a few years and the BC has only been run on it once. How many BIG races have been run on poly anywhere in the country? Within the racing industry there are lots of good horses retired or dead because of the poly. But how many people outside of someone who reads sites like this know that Mi Sueno was the most promsing 2yo filly in California and had to be retired after a workout last month with a condylar fracture? The average Joe on the street may have heard about Ruffian or Barabaro but even though the BC is supposed to be the 2nd biggest day of the year behind the Derby, how many would recognize the names Go For Wand or Timely Writer? Basically, no one is ever going to remember a catastrophic breakdown in the biggest Cal state bred stakes of the year but they will remember Barbaro or Ruffian who each had injuries not necessarily related to the track surface.