PDA

View Full Version : Scientist Claims to Have Explained Shroud of Turin

Overlay
10-05-2009, 06:36 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091005/sc_nm/us_italy_shroud

I say "explained" (rather than "debunked") because carbon dating had already established the shroud's age (the thirteenth or fourteenth century), but, until now, the process by which the image on the shroud was produced at that time had not been satisfactorily understood or replicated. Now a scientist claims to have done so.

Show Me the Wire
10-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Actually. that conclusion has been reversed by the some of the scientists that did the original dating. It seems the shroud had been repaired sometime around the the thirteenth or fourteenth century. As on object of veneration, handling cause some of the shroud to wear.

And as luck would have it the sample taken for study came from the repaired part of the shrould.

Its dating is still unresolved.

Show Me the Wire
10-05-2009, 07:25 PM
The error is documented in, "Unwrapping The Shroud: New Evidence" .
Also there is some concern about Discovery Channel not releasing the documentary on DVD.

"Since the "Unwrapping The Shroud: New Evidence" documentary appeared on the Discovery Channel at the end of last year, I have received literally hundreds of e-mails asking me when it would become available on DVD. After months of regularly checking the Discovery website for its availability, I was recently told by a reliable source that the program did not yield high enough ratings for the network to consider it worthy of a DVD release! Considering it is probably the most honest and accurate Shroud documentary produced in the past ten years, it seems unimaginable that they would feel this way about the program. The same source also explained that the network is responsive to viewer requests and suggested I institute a letter writing campaign to Discovery to indicate public interest in the program. And that is where you, the viewers of this website, can help.
If you are willing to write to the Discovery Channel and express your interest in obtaining a DVD of the program, we just might get them to change their minds. I have never asked you, my viewers, to champion any causes (beyond supporting the accurate truth about the Shroud of Turin). However, I feel this cause is a worthwhile one and well within the goals of this website. The program tells the honest and fascinating story of a group of dedicated Shroud researchers who made an extremely important contribution to Shroud science. It also managed to squeeze in a good dose of Shroud history and included more real science than the last three Shroud documentaries combined"

http://www.shroud.com/latebrak.htm

Could there be a conspiracy to let the public think the Shroud's 13th or 14th century dating is still accurate, because the truth is inconvenient?

chickenhead
10-05-2009, 10:23 PM
I would like to see how he recreated it -- I believe the primary problem with using a real person is that the shroud appears like a painting, i.e. like you are looking at a person. If you lay something over someone tho and make a transfer, the result is distorted because you have an extra axis, depth. It does not come out the same at all once you straighten it back out, not like a picture.

But the way they did it was ingenious. Whoever made that shroud had their thinking caps on.

JustRalph
10-06-2009, 05:10 PM
who cares :sleeping:

Tom
10-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Turin! :cool: