PDA

View Full Version : Audio problem

gillenr
10-05-2009, 05:42 PM
XP SP3 2.5G ram. Audio just quit - windows shutdown sound works, but startup sound doesn't. I used to be able to hear the startup very low from the pc with the speakers off - not now. Using SoundMAX 4.0 control panel.

gillenr
10-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Tried system restore also - no good.

senortout
10-06-2009, 01:56 AM
go into device mgr(hold down the windows key and the pause key at the same time, quick way to get there)

in d.mgr, find your sound device, open that and right click on it, and choose uninstall....I know seems harsh.....uninstall sound from device mgr.

shut down windows completely....as opposed to doing a 'restart'

boot back up and let windows find your sound card and reinstall the drivers by itself!

boom!(John Madden) good to go!

but check the internet with a google or two to confirm what I have said...google...sound stopped working , windows xp, or something of that sort.

Best,
senortout

gillenr
10-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks, Senor, but didn't help. Went to Intel site & got a new SoundMAX DL. It either helped somewhat or I didn't notice before that some sounds were very low. I was able to play a WMV file from an email, but can't play an MP3. I'm thinking of deleting WMP 11 & reinstalling it. Are there other components - SW or HW - involved that I might look at?
Thanks.

Hanover1
10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Go to Realtek.com and fool around with the downloads-worked for me.......

senortout
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I know this one sounds weird too!

Go open windows media player....and try to play wav, wma, or mp3 files from there...perhaps you have some mp3 music already on your hard drive? I have lots, most people do...

I have lost my sound before and after opening w.m.player and running it, all was well again

senortout

gillenr
10-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Blew off WMP 11 & downloaded fresh from MS - problem fixed - until I find something it won't play!!!!!!!