PDA

View Full Version : Double standard?

46zilzal
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
We go on and on about the horse being not only fit, but physically sound enough to start a race with pre-race vet inspections, paddock review and post parade evaluations. After the contest, blood and/or urine samples are taken to insure a relativity clean run.

Why aren't the riders subject to the same degree of scrutiny?

Recently on a day when a ride in a big stakes race later in the program beckoned, we had a rider contest the earlier races who could NOT flex his knee. I was not aware of how bad it was until a trainer, upset over the really poor ride this fellow had given his horse was muttering that "if he couldn't ride he should have let me know. I just wasted a start with this fellow."

We watched all his races after that one and this trainer's observations were right on. This rider could not sit down in the saddle, he stood with legs extended all the way back after each ride and was so obviously incompetent on the day (losing miserable on two very short price favorites) that many in the crowd openly booed him.

Came the big race. He was on one of the short priced horses and was close but no cigar. Not surprisingly he booked off all mounts after that race.

There is enough in racing to question without this kind of blatant disregard for the people wagering on what they expect to be competent jockeys.

Tom
10-05-2009, 11:47 AM
We can't expect the horses to take car of themselves. People can,
so too bad if the trainer got a bad ride - he picked the jockey and had the opportunity to find out himself if he was fit.

46zilzal
10-05-2009, 11:51 AM
We can't expect the horses to take car of themselves. People can,
so too bad if the trainer got a bad ride - he picked the jockey and had the opportunity to find out himself if he was fit.
He spoke DIRECTLY to the rider who lied to him, He had a second rider lined up knowing that the first was suspect.

How would he know he was fit short of a medical examination???, which, I believe should be a requirement to rider same as football or baseball players are required to do.

illinoisbred
10-05-2009, 11:59 AM
If a rider is apparently "off", can't the stewards intervene and yank him/her off their mounts?

sally
10-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Didn't Rosario get called in for a "bad" ride? Can't the trainer file a complaint?

46zilzal
10-05-2009, 12:30 PM
If a rider is apparently "off", can't the stewards intervene and yank him/her off their mounts?
yes but it is usually LONG after the fact

illinoisbred
10-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Thats the problem. Maybe they should become a little more proactive/preventive instead of reactive.

Java Gold@TFT
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Next time I bet on a football game with a QB who has an undisclosed ankle sprain I am starting a clas action lawsuit. That's what they do in Canada, right?

46zilzal
10-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Next time I bet on a football game with a QB who has an undisclosed ankle sprain I am starting a clas action lawsuit. That's what they do in Canada, right?
I have no idea what you are alluding to.

Imriledup
10-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Valid points.