PDA

View Full Version : Penn National Stewards Show How Inconsistent They Are 3 Times In the Same Race

menifee
10-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Watch Race 5 at Penn National - 10/3

The 3 horse that won the race comes up the rail and wins the race. Mid-stretch he cut off a horse causing the jockey to stand up and steady. Probably cost the horse a placing.

The 3 comes up and beats the 6 at the wire. Approximately around the 1/16 pole, the 6 and the 3 come over on the 5. The 5 jockey does some brilliant acting and stands up violently. Watch the pan shot and you will see clearly that the 5 was beat anyway and would have finished third anyway.

Despite that, the stewards decide to take the 6 down but not the 3.

In one race, the stewards showed how inconsistent they are three distinct times. Congratulaions Penn National! Once again, you never fail to amaze in demonstrating how stewards and a track should not be mananged and run.

oexplayer68
10-04-2009, 12:10 AM
There is absolutely no way the 6 should have come down in this race. Even if he did come in slightly it in no way changed the outcome. The 5 was tiring anyway, and was dropping back abruptly. BTW, nice ride by Sosa on the 6, finally going to the stick in the last 10 yards when it was too late. What a moron!

I didn't think the 3 did anything there at the top of the lane. He shifted into to the two path at the same time the 1 horse I believe shifted out. They both had a right to go for that hole, so no foul at all in my mind.

lamboguy
10-04-2009, 03:51 AM
i saw the same thing and wound up looking at the replay 50 times. i wound up scatching my head. one thing i am sure of, come next friday those very same stewards will go up to the office and collect their paychecks again and will have forgetten what happened last night.

Imriledup
10-04-2009, 04:50 AM
I was watching the finale of Jockeys the other night and when they were showing the Derby replay, i cringed knowing that if that was a cheap claiming race, i might have gotten Musket man placed ahead of Gomez on the Baffert for crashing out at the wire.

There are very few, if any, DQs in the Derby. Judges should police overnight races the same way. They don't want to have a race as grand as the Ky Derby decided in the judges booth so they 'let them play'. Their attitude is that the jocks have to know anything goes, especially right after the start, and they just let them play. If you get bumped, too bad.

Thomas Roulston
10-04-2009, 05:04 AM
I have never agreed with this business that the foul had to cost the victim "a placing" to warrant a DQ, and never will.

If one horse totally mugs another, he comes down - and I don't care if the horse that got mugged finished 4th and 10 lengths behind the 3rd horse and 10 lengths ahead of the 5th.

Hey, I can remember a time when if one half of an entry was DQ'd, the other half was automatically DQ'd as well - and even cases where the fouling horse actually finished behind the victim and still got DQ'd (and placed last).

Not that I advocate reviving those practices.

Imriledup
10-04-2009, 05:10 AM
I have never agreed with this business that the foul had to cost the victim "a placing" to warrant a DQ, and never will.

If one horse totally mugs another, he comes down - and I don't care if the horse that got mugged finished 4th and 10 lengths behind the 3rd horse and 10 lengths ahead of the 5th.

Hey, I can remember a time when if one half of an entry was DQ'd, the other half was automatically DQ'd as well - and even cases where the fouling horse actually finished behind the victim and still got DQ'd (and placed last).

Not that I advocate reviving those practices.

I think they got it right, with the 'cost a placing' stuff. Horse racing is a contact sport, the players shouldn't suffer if their horse wins by 10 while 'getting physical' with a rival.