PDA

View Full Version : The Luck Factor- The Psychology of Luck

Hosshead
05-29-2003, 03:04 AM
by Dr Richard Wiseman. author is on American radio late tonight/
early Thur.) 5/28-5/29- Coast to Coast AM. (Just looking for an edge)
Book available at Amazon U.K.

Hosshead
05-29-2003, 03:30 AM
It's not specifically directed to handicapping. And I haven't read it
But the interview and the idea sounded interesting.
(experiments done with lucky and unlucky people)
O.K., now the jokes!

freeneasy
06-02-2003, 09:38 PM
yesterday in the 8th at BM i played a $12 tri and a $27 tri in the same race so ok iam fartknocken around with some bets at SA, hit the war room, have a piece of pie, and come back to the results and low and behole i have a $32 winner and a $1200 tri plus i got a $14 winner in the previous race with the $32 winner in a pk3 going to the favorite in the last leg, well the fav. wins the last leg, pk 3 pays $270 or something, and i go to my account balence and the payoff for the tri doesnt show up in my account. i thought WTF is this shit. man i checked everything and there was just no record of that tri bet being made. anywhere. i thought maybe i mistakenly bet it in the wrong race or something. nope. nowhere. i thought maybe i mistakenly bet it in the 8th at SA. nope, nothing, not a thing or in another race at SA, nope, nada, nothing, zippo. however it happened the only other explaination i could think of was in my mind i was so sure i bet it that i didnt think that i didnt bet it cause thats what probably happened. so somebody tell me is that bad luck or just a case of a temporary split personality. oh and you want to talk about split personalities then get this. i played the pk4 in the 6th race with the last 3 winners $14, $32, fav. but in the 6th race, the 1st leg of the pk4 i singled russel baze's horse knowing full/damn good 'n well that i should have singled the winner/fav in that race. you know how that goes, you got an obvious winner jumping right out of the page at you and if it had a hammer it would have hit you in the head to play it, but then you start crossing all your wires and end up betting another horse that you know is going to lose. and when he does lose it just confirms the fact that you knew he was going to lose. well the right horse won, pk 4 pays something like a 1000 bucks, tri pays some $1200 and i made out with a $240 or a $270 pk3. you can call it bad luck, but man i tell you what, i dont care what the scientific name for this is called, i call it napcapping, capnapping, walking in your sleepcapping, lost in spacecapping, upsidedown doedoe birdcapping, all i know is,i need help from dr. tom. heh heh. somebody stop me ( jim carey, the mask):D

hurrikane
06-03-2003, 08:46 AM
I think this guy was on one of the tv mag showes the other night.
Is sounded interesting. All about attitude.

I liked the guys on the radio that did the unlucky lottery.
Bad things that happen to people that are 1/10,000,000 chance of happening.

Hosshead
06-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Hurrikane, I heard part of the interview with the author on the radio. Your right, he says it's about attitude and the power of positive thinking. And people with this, are more lucky.

But how he measured who are "Lucky" people, was another story.
An example he gave was: If you're in a bank, while the bank is
being robbed. And you get shot in the arm,-"Your Lucky,Cause you're still alive". And "Lucky People", looked at it that way.
Backfitting?
How about if you just didn't go to the bank that day?

He also said that being around negative people, rubs off on you.
I have to agree with him on that.