PDA

View Full Version : catch22 computer prob.

Lefty
05-28-2003, 08:59 PM
My desktop won't statup. I get msg that comctl2ddl file cannot start.

it says chk file but even if i knew how, how could i do it if damn thing won't start at all. Got bright idea to use restore disk but that doesn't start either.
Any help or is to the shop?

JustRalph
05-28-2003, 09:52 PM
give me some help here Lefty.....

What version of Windows?

quote the message exactly...? Are sure its not comctl32.dll ?
Can you get into safe mode?

What was the last thing you did (installs, uninstalls etc) ?

What kind of computer?

Here is some MS info for the problem with comctl32
Error Message: The Comdlg32.dll File Cannot Start
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 95
Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2.1
Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2.5

This article was previously published under Q137273
SYMPTOMS
When you try to start a program in Windows, you may receive one of the following error messages:

Error starting program. The Comctl32.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
Error starting program. The Comdlg32.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
Error starting program. The Shell32.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
Error starting program. The Lz32.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
Error starting program. The Version.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
Error starting program. The Winmm.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.
CAUSE
Some programs replace Windows files with their own files. The Windows Commctrl.dll, Commdlg.dll, Shell.dll, Lzexpand.dll, Ver.dll, or Mmsystem.dll files may have been replaced by files from another program.
RESOLUTION
Extract the corresponding file in place of the one listed in the error message you received. In the instructions that follow, replace <name> with the name of the appropriate file. This file will be one of the following files:
Commctrl.dll for Comctl32.dll
Commdlg.dll for Comdlg32.dll
Shell.dll for shell32.dll
Lzexpand.dll for Lz32.dll
Ver.dll for Version.dll
Mmsystem.dll for Winmm.dll
NOTE: If you are using Windows 98, and Windows 98 starts, use the System File Checker tool to replace the damaged file with a new copy of the original file. For information about how to use System File Checker, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type "system file checker" (without quotation marks), click Display, and then double-click Using System File Checker.

Otherwise, restart your computer to a command prompt, and then copy the <name> file from the Windows\Sysbckup folder to the Windows\System folder. This replaces the existing file with the Windows version of the file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q137/2/73.asp&NoWebContent=1

so.cal.fan
05-28-2003, 09:58 PM
Ralph:
How long should one keep a PC before getting a new one or upgrading?
I use Windows XP.
I am on cable.....however, sometimes my machine is a bit slow, especially booting on to the internet.....once I'm on.....works okay.
Any tips for us 'puter dummies?:)

JustRalph
05-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
Ralph:
How long should one keep a PC before getting a new one or upgrading?I use Windows XP. I am on cable.....however, sometimes my machine is a bit slow, especially booting on to the internet.....once I'm on.....works okay.
Any tips for us 'puter dummies?:)

When it stops doing what you want.....as fast as you want. Otherwise keep it. If your computer came with XP it should in no
way be obsolete unless something is wrong or you bought the wrong thing in the first place.

The "booting on to the internet" sounds like the only problem you have. Describe that to me better? Then I can tell you what I think can speed that up. With a cable connection it should only take seconds (2-5 seconds) to open the browser and be online. DSL is a little slower depending on the kind of DSL you have. But cable should work better. What version of windows, Browser etc are you using. Also, open your browser and go to "Tools" Internet options" "connections" and click "Lan Settings" and tell me what boxes are checked. We can go from there.

Lefty
05-28-2003, 10:11 PM
JR, right, I typo'd. But how can you chk a file when it won't start or do anything but display a blue screen with that big e(it's an e machine. Can't get a command prompt or anything out of except that error tag and when I turn it off it tells me windows shutting dn and it does. It's Win98 SE. I was trying to install a prgm and it said it needed to restart windows and been messed up ever since.
AZ mike suggested I put in Norton disk and it's running through the files now. Maybe it can get me restarted.
Thanks

JustRalph
05-28-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
JR, right, I typo'd. But how can you chk a file when it won't start or do anything but display a blue screen with that big e(it's an e machine. Can't get a command prompt or anything out of except that error tag and when I turn it off it tells me windows shutting dn and it does. It's Win98 SE. I was trying to install a prgm and it said it needed to restart windows and been messed up ever since.
AZ mike suggested I put in Norton disk and it's running through the files now. Maybe it can get me restarted.
Thanks

Ok.... now we are getting down to it. Start in safe mode:

Hit the F8 key while it is starting. tap it once every second as it starts, you can also hold the ctrl key down on startup. if these methods don't work try this:

Insert a non-bootable floppy disk in the floppy disk drive, and then restart your computer.
When you receive the "Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready" error message, remove the floppy disk from the floppy disk drive.
Press F8, and then press F8. When you do this, the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed.
Select the Safe Mode menu option from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.

When you get into safe mode it will look funny but don't worry about it. go to start, settings, control panel and then "add-remove programs" and see if the program you were installing is listed? if so, uninstall it and pray. Restart and see what happens. If that doesn't work, startup to the safe mode menu and this time choose "command prompt" from the choices. When you drop to a command prompt type type "scanreg /restore " if the registry checker doesn't start type " cd windows" and hit enter. you should then see c:\windows at the prompt. Then type "scanreg /restore" and it will run and give you an opportunity to replace your registry with a backup. Choose a backup from before you started to install the offending application (the one that broke your computer) the backup registries are dated so you should be able to go back a day or two. Highlight the one you want and hit enter. When it is finished it should offer you a chance to restart. Do so, and pray again. Let me know what the outcome is and also what the program was that you were installing...........good luck.

so.cal.fan
05-28-2003, 10:23 PM
Ralph:
I get on the internet through MSN (my home page).
My Lan settings:

Box checked is Automatically detect settings.

JustRalph
05-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Ralph:
I get on the internet through MSN (my home page).
My Lan settings:

Box checked is Automatically detect settings.

the wait time is the computer checking for settings everytime you open your browser. Try unchecking this box and see what happens. You probably don't need it. You can always put it back if you do need it. After unchecking the "automatic" box restart your computer and see what happens.

so.cal.fan
05-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Thanks, Ralph

I'll give it a try.

Just reset it.....works great!
You're the KING, Ralph!!!!!

JustRalph
05-29-2003, 01:35 AM
Thanks, Ralph I'll give it a try.
Just reset it.....works great!
You're the KING, Ralph!!!!!

Good.....that should save some time. I just noticed you are just over the mountains from me. I am due north of you in Palmdale.
Enjoy.....

MikeDee
05-29-2003, 06:33 AM
lefty

I had exactly the same problem. I installed the latest version of quicken and it said it needed to uninstall the old version and then intall the new at the end it restarted, and my PC would not work.

My PC would not run in the safe mode.

On my computer I press the power button and hold the the letter "c" key with the windows CD in the CD drive.

then I get a dos prompt

next I changed the drive to d:\ (this is my cd drive)
then I typed setup.exe
and widows was then reinstalled.
takes a while

once widows was reinstalled everything worked including the SOB quickin program which caused the whole mess.

good luck

Lefty
05-30-2003, 12:49 PM
JR, Mike Dee, thanks but computer won't start in Safe Mode either. When I choose Safe Mode from menu i was finally able to get it starts to boot then that same dreaded error msg file cannot start.
Using Norton I was able to get to dos but when I try to change to my cd drive it won't let me. When I try to run checkdsk or scandisk i get bad command. I think i'm "fried"

MikeDee
05-30-2003, 01:18 PM
Lefty
sounds like you are going to have to take it in to a repair shop. Maybe someone local to you can recommend a good one.

PaceAdvantage
05-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Lefty, you weren't by chance installing a CD-RW or DVD-RW drive, or perhaps NERO CD-burning software, were you???

==PA

Amazin
05-30-2003, 07:39 PM
Lefty:Just guessing

I had one of my computers do that once,turned out to be hard drive.Had a friend with similar problem also was hard drive.Don't know how mechanical you are,but they're easy to install and configure

Lefty
05-30-2003, 10:21 PM
PA and Amazing, I was installing one of those file sharing music prgms and at end of it it needed to restart computer and wham, I get the file cannot start msg.
Mike Dee and all, well, finally got the damn thing accept my restore disk and think it was even gonna preserve my data but got to the product code part and it's not on the disk or box.
it's supposed to be on certificate of authenticity and I have turned this place upside dn and can't find it.

gillenr
05-30-2003, 11:07 PM
Don't know if this is your problem, but I have found a "MS feature" in W98 that has caused me problems after downloading programs. It is "fast(or quick-I forget) shut-down". It allows Windows to shut down without de-initializing things it initialized at start-up. After un-enabling this "feature", I've had no problems.

JustRalph
05-30-2003, 11:11 PM
Lefty...check your email....for some more help
and private mess.

Dave Schwartz
05-31-2003, 12:55 AM
Lefty,

Do you need a Win98 license? I have so many I am sure I can spare one. Just let me know privately if you need one.

Dave

Lefty
05-31-2003, 01:02 AM
Thanks, everyone. I'm back in control of the Desktop.
Couldn't have done it without you.

Lefty
05-31-2003, 12:31 PM
JR, I got your e-mail and the wisdom it contained. Thanks. I tried to reply and got it back. I e-mailed you via this board and it came back.
So i'll just say thanks again here.
And there were several other comments that helped. You guys are the best; everyone.

JustRalph
05-31-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
JR, I got your e-mail and the wisdom it contained. Thanks. I tried to reply and got it back. I e-mailed you via this board and it came back.
So i'll just say thanks again here.
And there were several other comments that helped. You guys are the best; everyone.

Great...... !