PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

Jen
05-28-2003, 10:48 AM
I was just wondering what folks did on Memorial Day.

My family and I went to the Los Angeles National Cemetary for the Memorial Day ceremony. We've been doing that for several years now. All 80,000 graves were marked with little U.S. flags. There were speeches and proclamations, canon firings and F16 fly-overs, a band and a choir. What I like best, however, is to see the diversity of people that attend - old soldiers from WWII, widows and widowers, families, a biker group of Vets. Still, although larger than last year, it's not a very big group considering the size of L.A.

As I've gotten older, it has finally clicked that men and women have died so that we can enjoy our day off and our barbeque. I think many Americans have forgotten that and treat Memorial Day only as the day off for goods eats and good sales.

Whether or not you agreed with the war with Iraq, these people deserve a moment of our time on the one day we've set aside for rememberence. Next year, take a minute to find out where a Memorial Day ceremony is taking place. Go!

Jen

Dave Schwartz
05-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Jen,

Absolutely right.

(Small soapbox time here)

The other day I was watching a TV show. In it there was a Gulf-war disabled vet. He was the stereotypical disabled vet... long hair, scraggly beard, no job, no life, living on a tiny pension. (Disabled grunts often haven't been in the service long enough to get much time-in-grade and, hence, have small pensions.)

My point here is not to disparage vets. Just the opposite.

In my opinion, a combat-disabled veteran should have a decent income for life and a home of their own. It should be an income that would provide them a stable and fruitful life. They essentially gave their lives for our country and many of them simply exist until their death.

Now, most of you know me... you know I am not an entitlement person. But these guys are truly entitled. They earned it... and "we" aren't paying off.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: That is why our products are free to disabled veterans. (Well, they do pay minimal "costs.")