PDA

View Full Version : big card saturday at belmont

bisket
10-01-2009, 03:36 PM
da biskets gonna dive back in saturday at belmont. i just haven't seen any good cards since my big hit on the pac classic. i went to the md million last week and donated 80 bucks to magna :mad: , but i had problems with my printer and didn't have time to post my bets. probably just as well.
the 6th thru 10th races are all grade 1's and i'm buying the pps now. before looking at them i do have some thoughts about the jcgc. quality will give macho his 46 second 1/2 mile so macho will be their at the end. its looking like a three way head bob to decide the winner in this one. the tri won't pay alot because these three have been there and done that and it won't take rocket science to decide these 3 will be first second or third. i think the smart bet is a bet on the nose of the one you think will win, and play a straight tri with these three 5-10$. i'll give you one that i think may just suprise, but i'll have to look at the pps before deciding for sure. unbridled belle in the beldame. once every now and again she runs one that tough to beat!!

hazzardm
10-01-2009, 03:48 PM
It will be very interesting to see who gets to the front in the Flower Bowl. Dynaforce should be pressured pretty hard, even if yielding conditions hold up.

bisket
10-01-2009, 07:58 PM
i'm probably going to give unbrideled belle a shot in the beldame. it looks as if she spit the bit for some reason or another in the ensign (i just watched the replay). one thing i noticed was pletcher worked her handily before the ensign. thats the only time i've ever seen her worked like that before a race. every other work of hers before a race was breezing. i wonder if she may have been a little to keen in the ensign. it looks as if johnny was playing tug o war with her and when he asked her on the turn for home she did the opposite :bang: . i think pletcher likes her chances because it looks as if he entered another horse to set a reasonable pace. i just think music note is on the second race in a 3 race form cycle. this is the race to give her the wind to get the distance of the classic. most times this is the dullest effort of the cycle, and i just think the last race is a throwout for belle. it'll probably make her odds a little better :ThmbUp:

bisket
10-01-2009, 08:08 PM
blinkers are off belle in this one. he did work her handily again for this race, but it wasn't real fast. i like her more without blinkers. i also like her at the 1 1/8 mile distance

slew101
10-01-2009, 08:14 PM
She has burned a ton of cash the last couple years and even when off-form she always gets bet because of the trainer/jockey.

blinkers are off belle in this one. he did work her handily again for this race, but it wasn't real fast. i like her more without blinkers. i also like her at the 1 1/8 mile distance

bisket
10-01-2009, 08:19 PM
i think this time theres a good chance she'll be at a good price. i think the public goes a little to crazy on a beatable fav in music note off her last race.

slew101
10-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Anyone like Leamington at all or is she in too deep?

It will be very interesting to see who gets to the front in the Flower Bowl. Dynaforce should be pressured pretty hard, even if yielding conditions hold up.

bisket
10-01-2009, 08:20 PM
johnny jumping to the other horse helps :ThmbUp:

slew101
10-01-2009, 08:23 PM
She's coupled, so 2-1 on the ML. I don't think it drfits up much. Music Note I wouldn't trust going back up in distance, but can she really lose in this field?

i think this time theres a good chance she'll be at a good price. i think the public goes a little to crazy on a beatable fav in music note off her last race.

bisket
10-01-2009, 08:37 PM
the flower bowl has three that want to run the same race. leamington, dynaforce, and critism. i think this may set up for pure clan. the one i'm going to have to take a good look at is the 6 queen of hearts. the distance looks as if it may suit her. she has the looks of one that may improve enough to win this? i think with 3 on the pace liking the samew race. the pace may get fast enough to put heart in the drivers seat. can she out finish pure clan?

bisket
10-01-2009, 08:41 PM
this is more a bet against music note. her odds will be much lower than her chances of winning. if belle doesn't bring her a game; music note can beat the rest even if she's not at her best

WinterTriangle
10-02-2009, 03:54 AM
won't handicap any of this until I know just how soggy it'll be on Sat.

WinterTriangle
10-02-2009, 05:02 AM
i'm probably going to give unbrideled belle a shot in the beldame. it looks as if she spit the bit for some reason or another in the ensign (i just watched the replay).

If it rains, toss her. She can't run on wet. Since she is retiring to be bred to Medaglia D'oro soon, I'd like to see her leave with a win, but my intuition is that she is not up for this.

And Music Note going from 7F to 9F race.

I wish ICON PROJECT was running this instead of the Spinster at Keenland. That would have been my wager.

If it rains, Capt Lover is interesting and I might take a shot with her. Loves slop and trains with Munnings. I like the 7-length victory in the Taylor Made which was taken off turf, and she ran in slop and beat Princess Haya in that one (who just won the Candadian Stakes at this same distance although on synth). I also like those Captain Al's --- they are classic winners, and Capt. Al was the leading sire of year olds in 2005 or 2006. I think Al Mufti was his sire?

I dunno anything about With Flying or Copper State.........anybody?

WinterTriangle
10-02-2009, 06:31 AM
P.S. Bisket, can't get THAT excited about the card. The stakes races have between 4-8 runners, before scratches. Pathetic, really.

OTM Al
10-02-2009, 08:48 AM
P.S. Bisket, can't get THAT excited about the card. The stakes races have between 4-8 runners, before scratches. Pathetic, really.

Direct result of the BC being on poly. Makes the Keeneland and SA preps more important for those who have never run on the stuff. Vosberg is short but has quality runners. Turf Classic will be interesting as Gio Ponti is trying to go just a little longer than he has before, so it may be a little more open than it looks. Jockey Club also looks to be a fun race. Only real downer race of the 5 is the Beldame with only 4 interests.

Bochall
10-02-2009, 10:56 AM
The graded stakes at Bel are putrid betting affairs...period. My only interest will be in watching them to look for BC angles, bet againsts, etc...Lucky if a winner pays more than $7....Unbridled Belle is FINISHED if ya ask me. Another racemare getting old an disinterested.

hazzardm
10-02-2009, 11:00 AM

Poly impact no doubt. If one is willing to conceed the Vosburgh to Fab Strike, at least we are presented with with a $500,000 P3.

Java Gold@TFT
10-02-2009, 11:24 AM
It's not like NYRA was naive and didn't see this coming. They knew and tried to do what they could but the BC has screwed them over for many years now. Look at the 2 years on a non existent track and then going to CD after that and still not committing to Belmont for 2011. Add on the joke of a schedule that was the "Win and You're In" races and you can see that Aoili has a hardon for NY racing. The initial schedule had one race at Saratoga and 5 at Del Mar.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/trackside/2009/10/nyra-prez-synthetic-bc-impacted-belmont.html

New York Racing Association president Charlie Hayward told reporters in the Belmont press box this afternoon that the Breeders' Cup being on a synthetic surface at Santa Anita cost Belmont logical horses. He points to four horses shipping out of New York to run in Presque Isle’s Masters over its Tapeta surface rather than staying home for last weekend's Gallant Bloom for filly and mare sprinters.

Hayward suggests the poster child for what happened is Icon Project, defecting late from the $600,000 Beldame to run in Keeneland's $500,000 Spinster over Polytrack in preparation for the Breeders' Cup Distaff (oops, I mean Ladies Classic).

"The horse that dominated in the (Saratoga's) Personal Ensign is going to run for $100,000 less and probably be a much-higher price" than in the Beldame, he said. "Would have been a short price, big favorite here.

"Jockey Club Gold Cup (with seven entries) is a good, competitive race. But if that race wasn't on Poly in California, do you think Mine That Bird would be running in the Goodwood? That horse very logically would be in the Gold Cup."

Hayward also said "there's probably too many graded stakes for fillies, both 3-year-olds and 3-and-up."

But he said he believes numbers will be signicantly greater for next year's Gold Cup card with the Breeders' Cup back on dirt at Churchill Downs.

Let's see what happens to the Santa Anita prep races next year when the races are run on a real surface. In the mean time NYRA gets screwed again by the BC group. Of course there is also very little discussion about the abysmal entries for the Cal Cup day. We'll se how that compares to NY showcase day in a alittle while.

joanied
10-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't know what to make of theweather at Belmont tomorrow...says scattered showers today & tonight...so I don't know how the track is gonna be...anyone here know first hand? Maybe it'll be wet, but not mud/slop?

Shame about a race like the Beldame drawing so few...you guys are right though, it's because of the BC at SA (again:mad: )... but although yopu handicappers are being screwed, all the big races should, at the very least, be fun to watch...no consolation to the 'capper's...but fun anyway:)

May as well toss in my picks, for what it's worth:faint: :

Beldame:
Unbrideled Bell (if it's dry...mud/slop, I toss her)
Music Note (she'll prob'ly win, but I have a soft spot for UB)
Copper State
With Flying Colors

Vosburg: (look for the track to smoke in this one:) )
Fab Strike
Kodiak Kowboy
Munnings
Peace Chant

Flower Bowl:
Pure Clan
Dynaforce (I think these two will finish a head apart)
Queen of Hearts
Criticism

Joe Hirsch: (this is gonna be a great race, IMO)
Gio Ponti
Al Khali (torn between these 2, but Gio Ponti wins=Older Horse Champ)
Ready's Echo (sentimental)
Grand Couturier
Precious Passion

JGC: (I can't wait for this...the last 1/8th is gonna be a screamer!!)
Quality Road (unless it's mud/slop, then I move SB up)
Summer Bird
Macho Again (although a win here makes Rachel look even better)
Asiatic Boy (tough luck horse)
Tizway

Out West in the land of rubber...I'm interested in just two:
Oak Leaf:
Pure Class
It Tiz
Kaloula

Norfolk:
Looking at Lucky
Came Aboard
Sterling Outlook

Wishing everyone here a great:jump: weekend and best of luck in all your handicapping:ThmbUp:
Look over at barns 1 & 2 for me and say hey:) :) :)

bisket
10-02-2009, 04:06 PM
in the mud i may give the nod to macho. although i do have questions about macho at 1 1/4 miles? if the track is fast i like quality. this will be a tough decision

bisket
10-02-2009, 04:18 PM
i'm having second thoughts on belle. i'll have to decide on this at race time. an off track doesn't scare me with belle. she ran lights out in the slop at delaware in june.

Grits
10-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Don't know what tomorrow will bring, as it was cloudy at Belmont all day today; the showers never materialized. In the grandstand up on the 3rd floor, it was chilly with a bit of wind, but chilly isn't a problem when the food court and the Sams are right behind you.

As for tonight, it may rain later, but the full moon is out, high in the sky outside my hotel room window. Maybe the rain will hold off again tomorrow. Or maybe it'll show itself later in the day.

Keep in mind too, first post tomorrow is early, at 12:30. A couple of the fields are small, yes, but surely there will be some money made.

Fields may be larger next weekend for Keeneland, as someone said, due to the poly. Either way, Fall at Keeneland is always fun. Its usually much warmer in October than it is during the Spring meet.

I've laughed at the TVG crew getting dusted by snow in April. Those poor SoCal boys were about to freeze to death. LOLOL

cj's dad
10-02-2009, 08:44 PM
HI Grits -

Looking forward to seeing your smiling face tomorrow !! :)

Pell Mell
10-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Bird is easiest kind of winner

Macho distant 2nd

Quality off the board

thespaah
10-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Here is the official National Weather Service forcast for Nassau County.
NYZ077-030830-
NASSAU-
956 PM EDT FRI OCT 2 2009

.TONIGHT...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS LATE THIS EVENING...THEN
SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE UPPER
50S. SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN 90 PERCENT.
.SATURDAY...SHOWERS WITH A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS. HIGHS IN THE
LOWER 70S. SOUTH WINDS AROUND 10 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN NEAR
100 PERCENT.
current radar.....
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=OKX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Looks like it's gonna be a crowd killer. DAMMIT..

Grits
10-02-2009, 10:23 PM
HI Grits -

Looking forward to seeing your smiling face tomorrow !! :)

CJd, I gotta think on this--ToeToe's hurt me.:faint:

Grits
10-02-2009, 10:39 PM
CJd, gave it about 15 more minutes of serious thought . . . . I can get over Toe hurtin' me. I've coped with worse.

See ya tomorrow!;)

NYPlayer
10-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Bird is easiest kind of winner...

I agree. He looks very strong in this race. I plan to single him in the pk 6.

joanied
10-03-2009, 11:03 AM
i'm having second thoughts on belle. i'll have to decide on this at race time. an off track doesn't scare me with belle. she ran lights out in the slop at delaware in june.
AH-HA...thanks for that...I didn't look up PP's...so this is a good thing...but, in looking at the weather for Elmont today...might not be rain afterall?

At any rate, bisket...should be a great race to watch...you have a great day:jump:

joanied
10-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Ready's Echo & Peace Chant...I have these two picked to get a piece of their respective races...I was gonna change my picks to reflect that...but, who cares... for the Vosburg I had Peace Chant for 4th...so I'll just keep my picks as win,place,show:) For the Hisch, I had Ready's Echo for the place, so I'll just move Grand C & Precious Passion up:)

thespaah
10-03-2009, 02:51 PM
AH-HA...thanks for that...I didn't look up PP's...so this is a good thing...but, in looking at the weather for Elmont today...might not be rain afterall?

At any rate, bisket...should be a great race to watch...you have a great day:jump:
Looks good on tv at Belmont. Tracks lpoks like it has moisture in it. Turf labeled "good"...

joanied
10-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah...on the TV weather looks Ok and the track is good...hope the rain holds off today.

joanied
10-03-2009, 03:32 PM
:jump: I changed my order when I saw the track...they said it was raining and the track didn't look too dry to me...hard to see on TV, but decided I'd put Music Note on top, UBell 2nd & kept Copper State for place...wish I could bet some money...cause I had it 1,2,3:jump: (giving myself a pat on the back;) )

bisket
10-03-2009, 03:51 PM
just got home from work. construction is looking up in the baltimore area :ThmbUp: . missed the beldame but just put my bet in for the vosburgh. fab strike didn't work for a month after the vandy handy. so i'm tossing him. 5 to win on :4: kodiak and
5$ ex box
:3: munninigs
:4: kodiak

bisket
10-03-2009, 03:54 PM
you could only play an exacta and it paid 1.85 for a 1$ bet. wouldn't have been worth it

bisket
10-03-2009, 04:04 PM
woohoo!! new pair of shoes for da bisket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGraw1mODv4

joanied
10-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Vosburg up...and what a bummer...the fog rolled in and ya can't see the horses approach the gate....this sucks!!

OHWOW...Kodiak Kowboy...I'm bummed that he beat Fab. Strike, but looked like Fab. Strike was not a happy horse in the stretch?
What a shame the field was sooooooo small...that sucks too...and looks like it's raining like a SOB in Elmont...this sucks...may have to re arrange my JGC picks...

hope you guys at Belmont are staying dry...bet the crowd is pathetic for a big race day like this.

I'm watching the Cal Cup races too...weather there looks mah-velous:)

joanied
10-03-2009, 04:07 PM
woohoo!! new pair of shoes for da bisket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGraw1mODv4

Good one, bisket:ThmbUp: ...make 'em runnin' shoes:D

slew101
10-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Nice call. I tossed a couple on the Cowboy just to have action, and of course, wished I had more when they hit the backstretch. He was moving really well.

Anyone think Bridgmohan was going to duck to the rail there for a second in mid-stretch? Glad he altered to the outside.

Now I can just root longshot Leamington home for a big double and not have to invest much.

Careless Jewel running at 4:40 at Philly Park if anyone wants to watch the second best 3-year-old filly.

just got home from work. construction is looking up in the baltimore area :ThmbUp: . missed the beldame but just put my bet in for the vosburgh. fab strike didn't work for a month after the vandy handy. so i'm tossing him. 5 to win on :4: kodiak and
5$ ex box
:3: munninigs
:4: kodiak

bisket
10-03-2009, 04:19 PM
i'm gonna take a shot on an improving lightly raced filly here :6: queen of hearts 5$ win
5$ exacta box
:3: pure clan
:6: queen of hearts
i'm also going to take a shot with the :1a: beautyo' gwaun
1$ tri box
:1a: guan
:3: clan
:6: queeny
5$ win on :1a: guan

bisket
10-03-2009, 04:21 PM
strike looked like he was running all over the place. i was concerned about cowboy being able to get by. luckily munnings faded and cowboy got room.

bisket
10-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Nice call. I tossed a couple on the Cowboy just to have action, and of course, wished I had more when they hit the backstretch. He was moving really well.

Anyone think Bridgmohan was going to duck to the rail there for a second in mid-stretch? Glad he altered to the outside.

Now I can just root longshot Leamington home for a big double and not have to invest much.

Careless Jewel running at 4:40 at Philly Park if anyone wants to watch the second best 3-year-old filly.
i have a long standing rule. any horse that doesn't work within 2 to 2 1/2 weeks after a race doesn't get my money in the next race. it says to me the horse didn't come out of the race in good order. i've really hit some good ones with that. especially when the horse goes off at 3-5 or something like that!! lots of timee the horse will finish out of the money!!

racefinder2
10-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Did you notice the sheer amt of slop getting kicked back at KK in the drive-

:ThmbUp:Great ride taking him outside late late late to get there...

And, at the odds, worth a bet in the short field.

joanied
10-03-2009, 04:33 PM
AAARRRGGGHHH:bang: Belmont...sloppy & soft...stupid Mother Nature...I hate her today!!
What's gonna happen to the Flower Bowl and Hirsch? Crap, crap, crap:faint:

Well...I don't know, but I am changing my picks for the JGC now...gonna keep my Flower Bowl & Hirsch picks as is...but...I hope I'm doin' the right thing here...
JGC:
Summer Bird
Mach Again
Quality Road
Tiz Way

still would like to see QR take this...

bisket
10-03-2009, 04:40 PM
critism stuck with the closers or i woulda had a good one. beat all around the bush but missed. in the ball park though.

joanied
10-03-2009, 04:45 PM
critism stuck with the closers or i woulda had a good one. beat all around the bush but missed. in the ball park though.

Pure Clan...whopppppie:jump: ...thought ya had a shot there with the Queenie mare, bisket....but Pure Clan is pure class!!!
What happened to Dynaforce...was she eased or what?

ohoh...Precious Passion scratched...now my picks are down to 1,2,3:
Gio Ponti
Al Khali
Grand Couturier

slew101
10-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Thought Leamington had a shot there when those fractions were posted but she couldn't even put away Criticism despite an easy trip.

Careless Jewel won pretty easy at Philly, about 4 lengths. Got a little tired at the end and she was a bit rank throughout the race.

fmolf
10-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Pure Clan...whopppppie:jump: ...thought ya had a shot there with the Queenie mare, bisket....but Pure Clan is pure class!!!
What happened to Dynaforce...was she eased or what?

ohoh...Precious Passion scratched...now my picks are down to 1,2,3:
Gio Ponti
Al Khali
Grand Couturier
desormeaux should know better that the sloppiest portion of the grass course at belmont is along the rail...she got all bogged down iside their and could not get through.

bisket
10-03-2009, 04:54 PM
5$win :4: telling
5$ ex box
:4: telling
:8: grand couturier
the no works for ponti for a month and a week after arlington mill. he's a throw out!! may throw 5 on grand but i think his odds will take a nose dive by race time. if he's any more than 3-1 will take the splash.

joanied
10-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Thought Leamington had a shot there when those fractions were posted but she couldn't even put away Criticism despite an easy trip.

Careless Jewel won pretty easy at Philly, about 4 lengths. Got a little tired at the end and she was a bit rank throughout the race.

Man, I've been switching back & forth between HRTV & TVG and somehow missed Careless Jewel :bang: ...I'll catch a reply...glad she won easy, I suspect it was a pretty soft spot for her...and suppose getting a little tired is because she was rank...never a good idea for a horse to waste energy fighting it like that...but, hey, a win is a win is a win!!!

joanied
10-03-2009, 04:59 PM
desormeaux should know better that the sloppiest portion of the grass course at belmont is along the rail...she got all bogged down iside their and could not get through.

That sucks...but glad it wasn't KD easing her...even on TV I could see her just kinda quit...what a shame, expected to see her & Pure Clan duken' it out

bisket
10-03-2009, 05:03 PM
i'm gonna forgo the win bet on grand and throw another 5$ ex box on the grand and telling

bisket
10-03-2009, 05:07 PM
:4: - :5: - :8: tri box 1$

bisket
10-03-2009, 05:08 PM
ponti no works for a month after ar mill and past his disctance limitations and he's 3-5 :jump:

bisket
10-03-2009, 05:12 PM
interp is coming down

joanied
10-03-2009, 05:18 PM
ponti no works for a month after ar mill and past his disctance limitations and he's 3-5 :jump:

OHMAN.... did anyone have that horse Interpretation? Good for Robby...rode a hell of a race, and the horse was so on his wrong lead, I don't know how he managed the win...no embarrassment for Gio Ponti, IMO...he did good...what happened to Al Khali?

joanied
10-03-2009, 05:19 PM
interp is coming down

What:confused:

joanied
10-03-2009, 05:21 PM
bisket...didn't involve Gio or Interp:)

bisket
10-03-2009, 05:24 PM
he was running so eratically that i thought he came over and bothered ponti but he didn't. still scratching my head about interpretation. sometimes in the boggy going on the turf funny things happen. i really feel the classic would be a better spot for ponti. although santa anita's turf course is downhill for first two furs. so it will make it easier on ponti as far as the distance is concerned for the breeders cup turf.

bisket
10-03-2009, 05:32 PM
da bisket's got a doozy in this one 20$ to win :6: dry martini
5$ exacta box
:2: macho again
:6: dry martini
2$ tri box
:2: mach
:3: summer
if i hit this one i'm buying the starfighters because the force is with me!! ;)

joanied
10-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah...it looked funny...(Cal Cup classic coming up...should be a fun one to watch)...anyway, indeed...soft turf like that must be exactly what Interpretation wanted...man, would ya have loved to have $10.00 on that horse!!??!!

I'm glad I don't have to decide where to put Gio on BC day...flip a coin, maybe:D

Now I can't wait for the JGC...see what kind of crazyness we have in that one...Mach may run huge...but, gonna stick to me changed picks since it came up sloppy...
Summer Bird
Macho
QR
Tiz Way

a safe trip for all of them:ThmbUp:

:jump: :jump: :jump:

joanied
10-03-2009, 05:37 PM
da bisket's got a doozy in this one 20$ to win :6: dry martini
5$ exacta box
:2: macho again
2$ tri box
:2: mach
:3: summer
if i hit this one i'm buying the starfighters because the force is with me!! ;)

Good Luck, bisket...may the force be with...Summer Bird:D ;) :D

PS...Dry Martini is a good bet, IMO...if I was there I'd bet him on a hunch...my dad liked martinis...dry...besides, I am always happy to see Tagg win a big one:)

bisket
10-03-2009, 05:51 PM
i wish jerkins still had quality. pletcher hasn't done right by him!!!

BUD
10-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Yep its official I LOOOOOOVE That Summer Bird--What a beautiful wonderful horse---
i didnt even punt the race--

horseracingjunkie
10-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Summer Bird loves New York, the mud and classic distances. Great race--Quality Road was a worthy second choice.

joanied
10-03-2009, 06:01 PM
i wish jerkins still had quality. pletcher hasn't done right by him!!!

I wish that too...but..the horse has been doing pretty damned good since he got with Pletcher...he just got beat today by a better horse, at least on this day...what a shame QR missed the TC races.

joanied
10-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Great race, really...I nearly :faint: had it....and I am dissappointed in Macho Again...maybe Rachel broke his heart.

I liked Tiz Way simply because of his sire:)

Kent D rode a brilliant race, and really knows this colt...and do ya think Tim Ice is gonna be turning away owners:rolleyes: the man seems to know how to train a horse:ThmbUp: ...good for him!!

QR has been doin' nothin' but good since he's come back...he almost had this one, but SB was the better horse...no excuses for any of them....and no doubt, QR will win a big one soon enough...I really love that horse.

Asiatic Boy needs to be sent back to where ever he came from:D

Summer Bird gets the 3 yr old Champion for sure, regardless of how he runs in the Classic...IMO.
Some will start saying now he might get HoY...but let's not forget...Rachel kicked his ass:ThmbUp:

PS...Cal Cup Classic...hope Grazen will be OK...that's a real bummer.

Cat Thief
10-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Well you had them all, hope you had a triactor on them. That Summer Bird sure did impress me, being so close to the pace for one thing and than outracing Quality Road who himself was running a real nice race. Those 3 year olds and sure humming .... and than Careless Jewel who won the Cotillion easily.

bisket
10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
i'm tellin ya quality has lost that fire. he's not feeling as good about himself. he doesn't have his peacock anymore

CincyHorseplayer
10-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Summer Bird definitely locked up Offtrack HOY!!:D

For me the rain ruined the card because there were a lot of horse that would have been overbet on fast tracks and a lot of horses who would have bounced back from continuous running on offtracks.

Still a good day of racing.

joanied
10-03-2009, 06:52 PM
i'm tellin ya quality has lost that fire. he's not feeling as good about himself. he doesn't have his peacock anymore

I don't know, bisket...he looked like he was trying to get a peacock off his back loading in the gate...the colt has mean 'back kick':D
A dry track today, and who knows...he might have won...but, IMO...he ran a hell of a race, and I hope to see him in the BC Classic.

OH...another, IMO...forget about Zenyatta in the Classic...they won't want her to face Summer Bird.

joanied
10-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Summer Bird definitely locked up Offtrack HOY!!:D

For me the rain ruined the card because there were a lot of horse that would have been overbet on fast tracks and a lot of horses who would have bounced back from continuous running on offtracks.

Still a good day of racing.

Yeah, that rain really put a 'damper' on the day:D ...seriously though, it was good racing...on both coasts, in in between.
Wonder what the on track turn out was at Belmont...maybe 10,000???

Tom
10-03-2009, 07:03 PM

They gelded him?! :eek:

bisket
10-03-2009, 07:38 PM
:lol: no!!!! well i guess choosing pletcher for his trainer did just about same thing!!!!

tucker6
10-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Great race, really...I nearly :faint: had it....and I am dissappointed in Macho Again...maybe Rachel broke his heart.

I liked Tiz Way simply because of his sire:)

Kent D rode a brilliant race, and really knows this colt...and do ya think Tim Ice is gonna be turning away owners:rolleyes: the man seems to know how to train a horse:ThmbUp: ...good for him!!

QR has been doin' nothin' but good since he's come back...he almost had this one, but SB was the better horse...no excuses for any of them....and no doubt, QR will win a big one soon enough...I really love that horse.

Asiatic Boy needs to be sent back to where ever he came from:D

Summer Bird gets the 3 yr old Champion for sure, regardless of how he runs in the Classic...IMO.
Some will start saying now he might get HoY...but let's not forget...Rachel kicked his ass:ThmbUp:

PS...Cal Cup Classic...hope Grazen will be OK...that's a real bummer.
number one: Don't all girls do that to the boys??

Number two: I think QR will have a huge 4 year old season. Just a hunch.

Number three: Is 3 yr old champion restricted to males only?? Otherwise, RA may get both. Don't know.

WinterTriangle
10-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Interpretation is going on 7 years old now, was once quite a gifted horse. It's not like he didn't have the goods ..... somewhere.

Quality Road has such an interesting face/head....very squared and boxy....very handsome. Summerbird, by comparison, esp. with those blinks, looks like one of those sleek athletes who shaves down their body for more speed, he's very streamlined.

I played Dry Martini in a contest today, but in my heart, I knew he just didn't have the speed to close fast enough on these.

WinterTriangle
10-03-2009, 08:52 PM
That Summer Bird sure did impress me, being so close to the pace for one thing and than outracing Quality Road who himself was running a real nice race.

that was also a brilliant ride by jockey, who knows summer bird, and edged him up closer earlier when he saw the pace. really very tactical move.

Cratos
10-03-2009, 08:58 PM

Number three: Is 3 yr old champion restricted to males only?? Otherwise, RA may get both. Don't know.

The 3yo and 2yo awards are no longer single awards; they are given by gender. However the other major Eclipse awards are given to a single horse regardless of gender.

Cratos
10-03-2009, 09:04 PM

The 3yo and 2yo awards are no longer single awards; they are given by gender. However the other major Eclipse awards are given to a single horse regardless of gender.

tucker6
10-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks Cratos! :ThmbUp:

bisket
10-03-2009, 10:03 PM
summer bird has improved as a horse, and does deserve 3 year old of the year off his win today. he's tough little sucker. my point is quality isn't a happy horse. when a horse does what he did at the gate it is sometimes an indication the horse doesn't want to be there. then the way the race was run says to me if he wanted to win today he would have won. he's not the same horse. his first race in the mud he didn't look right in his action. although today i didn't see that. i saw a horse that didn't have the desire to be on the track.

WinterTriangle
10-04-2009, 04:16 AM
summer bird has improved as a horse, and does deserve 3 year old of the year off his win today. he's tough little sucker. my point is quality isn't a happy horse. when a horse does what he did at the gate it is sometimes an indication the horse doesn't want to be there.

too bad they can't talk. Maybe his feet hurt.

After going thru the Big Brown thing last year, I'm just not going to think about it.

I think any good trainer should be able to ascertain if a horse wants to race or not. You can't force their spirits.

We don't *know* how horses associate memories. How do we know? Perhaps he remembers that last year, when he raced, his feet got sore.

Java Gold@TFT
10-04-2009, 04:45 AM
Not really.

Eclipse Awards:

1.American Horse of the Year
2.American Champion Two-Year-Old Colt
3.American Champion Two-Year-Old Filly
4.American Champion Three-Year-Old Male Horse
5.American Champion Three-Year-Old Filly (Rachel)
6.American Champion Older Male Horse
7.American Champion Older Female Horse
8.American Champion Sprint Horse
9.American Champion Female Sprint Horse
10.American Champion Male Turf Horse
11.American Champion Female Turf Horse
12.American Steeplechaser

The only awards not restricted by gender are HOY and Steeplechase although Sprinter is a little ambiguous but the females do have their own award in the sprint category.

Thomas Roulston
10-04-2009, 04:56 AM
At what point does a turf course go over the line from "soft" to "heavy"?

You mean to tell me that Grade I turf stakes with final times of 2:12 2/5 for 10f and 2:41 1/5 for 12f don't do it?