Saints -7

7-3 on the season

newtothegame
10-01-2009, 07:39 PM
I only like two this week:

Patriots -2
Saints -7

7-3 on the season

I know that being from louisiana, this may seemed Biased, but I really love the saints in this spot. First, Sanchez has had his games that were to be tough AT HOME. Now I am not trying to take away from this up and coming young man but, it is MUCH easier to play in the friendly confines of home.
The hype is getting raised and it is my opinion that New York area is trying to annoint this kid as the next coming of broadway joe. Are the expectations too much? we will see. This week, he and the jets will travel to an UNfriendly environment where the noise will be deafening. His inexperience will be tested as the jets will be forced to play catch up against the leagues number ONE offense. Through three games, the saints defense has greatly improved game to game. Last week, the saints defense all but shut out a decent Bills team on the road. The week before, they befuddled a young Kolb IN philadelphia.
Now you can make an arguement that the saints defense gave up alot of yardage against Philly, but most of that was in garbage time when the game was over.
The only real question I see here is are the jets defense for real? They will be tested early and often against argueably the leagues best QB in brees. With the addition of a solid running game, the saints should put the jets down by two scores early in the first half and never look back on their way to a 30-10 win.
Saints minus the 7
30-10 saints

Marshall Bennett
10-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Seriously doubt the Jets will go into the superdome and beat the best team in the league .

cj's dad
10-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Ravens on a money line bet

NE will not stop the 3 headed monster of a running game

GaryG
10-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Season 3-0

Cincinnati -4
Baltimore +2

Cincy should be at least 7 over the Browns even at Cle.

headhawg
10-02-2009, 10:17 AM
I think that there are a lot of good games this week from a viewing standpoint not a betting one. I understand the Ravens love going on here, but they haven't played anyone, and their "vaunted" defense gave up a ton of yards and 26 points to the Chargers (another one of my overrated teams this year). Flacco was not asked to win that game, just manage it, and he was not under any pressure because of the solid run game. But as Denny Green would say, don't crown their asses just yet.

Valuist
10-02-2009, 10:52 AM
It should be pointed out that the team Denny Green went on his tirade about, the 2006 Bears, made it to the Super Bowl. SD may be a bit overrated but they are still decent.....and Baltimore went into their place and ran up and down the field against them.

Boats
10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
ny giants -9

toetoe
10-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Packers over Vikings;

49'ers over Rams;

Saints over Jets.

All three may get ugly.

ddog
10-02-2009, 01:43 PM
ny giants -9
:ThmbUp:

load up.

Marshall Bennett
10-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Packers over Vikings;

49'ers over Rams;

Saints over Jets.

All three may get ugly.

Packers are going to blow out Vikings ?

bisket
10-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Ravens on a money line bet

NE will not stop the 3 headed monster of a running game
we're gonna find out about them this week. i think they show they are headed to the super bowl!! :jump: they are definately going to have to run the ball with authority to beat the pats. you have to keep the pats offense of the field and not let them get in a comfort zone passing. my only fear is the ravens control the ball and line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, and brady hits a few long ones with moss and we lose. our pass defense needs to step up. its the only weakness thus far.

ddog
10-02-2009, 04:31 PM

favre may go ballistic in this one now that he is full of his own cooking.

If he does, yeah, they could blow 'em out.
Best not fall behind.

cj's dad
10-02-2009, 08:56 PM
we're gonna find out about them this week. i think they show they are headed to the super bowl!! :jump: they are definately going to have to run the ball with authority to beat the pats. you have to keep the pats offense of the field and not let them get in a comfort zone passing. my only fear is the ravens control the ball and line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, and brady hits a few long ones with moss and we lose. our pass defense needs to step up. its the only weakness thus far.

All pass defenses rely on pressure up front. As Terrell Suggs plays himself into shape- he missed most of pre-season camp- the pass rush will improve and the D-backs will look better and better.

Play like a Raven !!!

BetHorses!
10-03-2009, 09:13 AM
1-1 last week

6-4 YTD

Ravens +1.5

Dolphins +1

Good Luck

Rookies
10-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Marshall:

I'm in 2 tiered pools, 15 pts total based on weighting the selections:

5-4-3-2-1.

I'm leading one and mine for this week are:

NO -6.5
SF -9.5
Balt +2
NYG -9
Cin -6

Had my beloved Bills as #2, but too many injuries, so I gapped them. Plus, their idgit Coach needs to be fired... uhhhh... in 2007 ! :lol:

Bochall
10-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Wonder why Rex Ryan and Bart Scott havent been talking their usual mid week trash this week....hmmm. Maybe they know whats coming. That being said, lets not heap hosannas all over the Saints just yet, ok? They beat a rookie in week 1, a McNabb-less Eagles in week 2, and an ABSOLUTE bum in T Edwards and Buffalo in week 3 (since Owens is in Buffalo now can we call it TOfalo?...like the Cuban boxer?)....and one could make the argument that the Saints are the worst team in NFL history. How many teams that have existed as long as them have never played for the title? They are the Texas Rangers of football! We will find out about them when the Gmen come a calling in a few weeks. Until then, chill beb.

strapper
10-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Go Saints Go! Drew Brees-led high-powered offense will score more points than the opposition.....this week the Jets, also undefeated at the present time, in what promises to be the Game of the Week. This is finally our year I think. Saints fans have suffered long enough.

NJ Stinks
10-03-2009, 07:01 PM
0-3 for the season.

San Fran -9.5

Valuist
10-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Weak 2-4 last week, 7-8 YTD

Tenn/Jax OVER 41 1/2
Baltimore +1 1/2
Denver +3
StL/San Fran UNDER 37

Gonna keep riding the Ravens like I've said the past few weeks. Think those that don't believe might become believers after today.

headhawg
10-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Gonna keep riding the Ravens like I've said the past few weeks. Think those that don't believe might become believers after today.That's pretty much what I've been saying. I just want to know if they are that good. I'm on the fence with them; today's game will help push me to one side or the other. I took the Pats so I am already leaning toward one side.

headhawg
10-04-2009, 07:59 PM
I only like two this week:

Patriots -2
Saints -7

7-3 on the season2-0 this week. 9-3 YTD.

Baltimore gave a pretty good showing but I hope that we can stop the Super Bowl talk for now. The Saints handled the Jets rather easily. We know about their offense but their defense is more than decent. We've seen this movie before, but NO looks pretty scary.

Valuist
10-04-2009, 08:09 PM
3-1 on the week, 10-9 YTD

I think the Jets showed their defense is every bit as good as advertised. Against the top offense in the NFL, their defense only gave up 10 points. They did give up a bit too much on the ground. Unfortunately for them, Sanchez was reponsible for 14 of the Saints points.

As for the Ravens, they still are a legit SB contender, although the offense may now be a little ahead of the defense; not their run D but the pass D. They got beat......but one has to wonder if Clayton doesn't drop that pass if they go in for the TD. I saw bits and pieces of the game on NFL Networks Red Zone but apparently the Ravens are extremely upset with the officiating. Not sure if that's warranted or not without seeing the whole game.

How about the 49ers, Bears and Bengals. Yes, they all beat 3 of the weaker teams in the NFL but all 3 teams are one play away from being 4-0. The Niners and Bengals losses came in the final 10 seconds, and the Bears loss came in the final 1 1/2 minutes.

toetoe
10-04-2009, 08:21 PM

I know --- pretty bold. I expect them to win outright, anyway.

My other two picks were big favorites that covered. The Saints were not blowout winners, maybe, but they never looked in danger of not covering, to me anyway.

toetoe
10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
(since Owens is in Buffalo now can we call it TOfalo?...like the Cuban boxer?)

Tee-oh-falo. Very nice indeed. :ThmbUp: .

Compared to that, my stuff is -ofalo.

proximity
10-05-2009, 12:14 AM
I saw bits and pieces of the game on NFL Networks Red Zone but apparently the Ravens are extremely upset with the officiating. Not sure if that's warranted or not without seeing the whole game.

there were at least three questionable roughing the qb penalties in the game and two of them went against baltimore. there was also another rare 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on baltimore's coach for saying that one defensive holding penalty was "a b.s. call..."

another call that i thought should have been looked at closer was the interception by bodden (sp). the toe of his front foot looked real close to the line to me.

finally, even simms (who seemed to be agreeing with the refs on most of the calls) questioned whether the guy actually made the first down on the fake field goal by new england.

real close game though, could have gone either way.

singletax
10-05-2009, 03:49 AM
It seems New England and Brady have special observation from officials. Dallas used to get the same benefit from officials looking the other way when Michael Irvin WR would continually push off defenders and get away with it.

When the Ravens play Pittsburgh these phantom calls on the QBs just don't happen. They pound the hell out of Roethlisberger.

The Ravens had a hard time adjusting to New England flag football. The Ravens have a good front seven but the NFL offenses are spreading out with the flag football ball, ball control offenses, trying to find receivers "in space".

I thought Rex Ryan and the Jets showed the way to defeat NE and Baltimore would rerun with more impact. However, NE showed up today.

Maybe this win will give NE home field in Jan.

DanG
10-05-2009, 07:18 AM
First time seeing Washington yesterday and there are SERIOUS problems with that squad on both sides of the ball. The Buc’s couldn’t win a fix at this point, but an actual NFL team has zero excuse not to beat these guys.

I assume the Skins have massive ‘O line injuries? When 1st round bust Gaines Adam’s does a Deacon Jones impersonation, there are real blocking issues.

Marshall Bennett
10-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Jaguars ( +3 )

Raiders ( +9.5 )

Patriots ( -2 )

Dolphins ( +2 )

Broncos ( +3 )

Steelers ( -6.5 )

This Week : 5-1
Season : 17-7

lamboguy
10-05-2009, 08:57 AM
This Week : 5-1
Season : 17-7that is one beautiful sunday!

nice job

Marshall Bennett
10-05-2009, 10:35 AM
that is one beautiful sunday!

nice job
Thanks , had some luck in what I thought was a tough week . I see some lopsided games next weekend , should be interesting using spread .

BetHorses!
10-05-2009, 01:26 PM
3-1 on the week, 10-9 YTD

I think the Jets showed their defense is every bit as good as advertised. Against the top offense in the NFL, their defense only gave up 10 points. They did give up a bit too much on the ground. Unfortunately for them, Sanchez was reponsible for 14 of the Saints points.

Yes that defense is for real. The Jets UNDER was a good play that I should have posted. Sometimes you can bet on a defense without betting on the team....

bisket
10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
the officiating was terrible in the ravens game, but what would you expect playing in their stadium. my question was where were the better camera angles on those replays? if the game was on fox i think those calls could have been scrutinized alot better!! at the beginning of the game the ravens didn't look sharp at all. as the game progressed their play improved. they can also look in the mirror for reasons they lost. fumbled kick off. dropped passes. you just can't do those things and beat playoff teams in this league. i still think there's plenty of reasons to still be talking super bowl. its only the 3rd week of the season, and i think if they play a little better (which they are definately capable of). reverse a call or two. don't drop key catchable passes the ravens win. incidentally i've never liked clayton from the first time i've seen him. i think some recievers are intimidated easily, and never play to their ability. clayton is this type of reciever. deep down i think he knows he's not an nfl reciever. when it really counts that opinion of himself shows.

cj's dad
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
the officiating was terrible in the ravens game, but what would you expect playing in their stadium. my question was where were the better camera angles on those replays? if the game was on fox i think those calls could have been scrutinized alot better!! at the beginning of the game the ravens didn't look sharp at all. as the game progressed their play improved. they can also look in the mirror for reasons they lost. fumbled kick off. dropped passes. you just can't do those things and beat playoff teams in this league. i still think there's plenty of reasons to still be talking super bowl. its only the 3rd week of the season, and i think if they play a little better (which they are definately capable of). reverse a call or two. don't drop key catchable passes the ravens win. incidentally i've never liked clayton from the first time i've seen him. i think some recievers are intimidated easily, and never play to their ability. clayton is this type of reciever. deep down i think he knows he's not an nfl reciever. when it really counts that opinion of himself shows.

Questioning calls is almost always the sign of a sore loser; in this instance I will say that there were 2 phantom roughing the passer calls against Baltimore which led to drives staying alive and one or both led to TD's - I know that 1 did.

The call in Wes Welkers favor which also extended a drive led to B'more getting a 15 yd. unsportsmanlike bench penalty because Harbaugh went berserk; which was justified, IMO.

Clayton should have caught both balls thrown his way in the last minute. He is not a big time reciever.

Flacco is improving each and every game.

Ravens play 3-1 Bungles this Sunday in Baltimore - can't wait for that !!

BTW- as one previous poster stated, Phil Simms actually questioned the officials control of the game and there were times when it appeared that the referee was unsure of the RULES !! How does that happen.???

cj
10-05-2009, 09:08 PM
On the 3rd down play before Clayton's drop, it was clear interference against New England. Well, at least clear to everyone except the official watching the play.

cj's dad
10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
On the 3rd down play before Clayton's drop, it was clear interference against New England. Well, at least clear to everyone except the official watching the play.

I don't know if you saw the entire game, but I can honestly say that it was the worst officiated game I have seen in recent memory. The phantom roughing calls (apparently, poster boy Tom Brady is now protected by the league), the lack of offensive holding calls (line play) against NE and the bulls--t pass holding call favoring Welker were simply HORRIBLE !! I would be willing to wager that the crew for that game will come under league scrutiny although that will not not be public information.

And yes you are right, Claytons right arm was held by the NE cornerback and he had little chance to catch the end zone pass. He did however CHOKE on the 4th down pass which he tried to catch with his shouder pads instead of his hands and that is nobodys fault but his.

cj
10-05-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't know if you saw the entire game, but I can honestly say that it was the worst officiated game I have seen in recent memory. The phantom roughing calls (apparently, poster boy Tom Brady is now protected by the league), the lack of offensive holding calls (line play) against NE and the bulls--t pass holding call favoring Welker were simply HORRIBLE !! I would be willing to wager that the crew for that game will come under league scrutiny although that will not not be public information.

And yes you are right, Claytons right arm was held by the NE cornerback and he had little chance to catch the end zone pass. He did however CHOKE on the 4th down pass which he tried to catch with his shouder pads instead of his hands and that is nobodys fault but his.

I watched most of the game since the Giants game was pretty much over at the kickoff and they were the only two on here.

The Ravens definitely were on the short end of many calls. It was disgraceful really for the NFL. Luckily, they are good enough to overcome it during the course of the season. Could be a Super Bowl rematch, but this time instead of Kerry Collins and Trent Dilfer it will be two real QBs.

By the way, the bogus defensive holding call against the Giants in that Super Bowl is still one of the worst calls in the history of the NFL! ;)

cj's dad
10-06-2009, 07:23 AM
I watched most of the game since the Giants game was pretty much over at the kickoff and they were the only two on here.

The Ravens definitely were on the short end of many calls. It was disgraceful really for the NFL. Luckily, they are good enough to overcome it during the course of the season. Could be a Super Bowl rematch, but this time instead of Kerry Collins and Trent Dilfer it will be two real QBs.

By the way, the bogus defensive holding call against the Giants in that Super Bowl is still one of the worst calls in the history of the NFL! ;)

You're right you know about that call; the score should have been 34-14 !! :cool:

toetoe
10-06-2009, 06:07 PM
All three may get ugly.

They were ugly indeed. The blowout was in favor of Minnesota. :blush:

GB were horrible, but, despite getting pinned by the amazing job by Minn.'s punter and playing like highschoolers, they were still arguably in it ... almost. Maybe they'll be able to take that away as a positive.

bisket
10-06-2009, 06:12 PM
in my opinion the worst officiated game i ever watched was a playoff game in ravens stadium. the official that threw the flag in orlando brown's eye when he was playing for the browns. well this same official was the head of the crew in this playoff game some years later, and gave brown 2 unsportsmanlike penelties in the 4th quarter. both helped the opposing team score. one of them brown just pulled an opposing player of his teammate. the opposing player was giving his teammate a cheap shot. talk about paybacks :mad: it cost the ravens the game. it was totally ridiculous.
the bottom line is on sunday the ravens didn't lose because they weren't capable of winning. thats a very encouraging sign :ThmbUp:

bisket
10-06-2009, 06:13 PM
You're right you know about that call; the score should have been 34-14 !! :cool:
touche'

cj
10-06-2009, 06:32 PM
touche'

Easy to say, but that interception makes it a 7-7, and completely new ball game. Both teams had pretty inept offenses and that completely changed the game.

I remember the Brown game. Wasn't he called "Zeus"? I always felt bad for that guy after the flag incident.

bisket
10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
just poking at ya a little ;) yup it was zeus. that official really got in hot water after the flag in the eye incident, but he got his revenge that day!! the ravens played a game earlier that same season and that same official really stuck it to them. it was really apparent he had an ax to grind :mad:

ghostyapper
10-06-2009, 09:06 PM
The first roughing the passer on ngata was bad but the 1 on suggs was legit. Even though he didn't hit brady he completely dove at his knees without making any attempt to let up or tackle him.

I have a problem with alot of the phantom roughing the passer calls but nothing good can come from diving directly at a qb's knees.

ghostyapper
10-06-2009, 09:09 PM
By the way for all those who think the roughing the passer on ngata was a terrible call how about the one on the patriots which was similar?

cj
10-06-2009, 10:20 PM
By the way for all those who think the roughing the passer on ngata was a terrible call how about the one on the patriots which was similar?

That was mentioned already.

ghostyapper
10-06-2009, 10:41 PM
That was mentioned already.

Not by the one's doing the sobbing for the ravens.

cj's dad
10-07-2009, 07:14 AM

Clearly a make up call - Anyone, if objective, should agree that the game officiating was as bad as it gets.

melman
10-07-2009, 11:03 AM
If you want to talk about a team getting really screwed by the zebra's all you have to do is remember the San Diego Chargers getting ripped last year. The head zebra admitted after the game that he blew it. Bad calls happen every week and I think it's worse in MLB. The Chargers game was the worst because the zebra did not know the rule.

bisket
10-07-2009, 05:46 PM
how about the seahawks in the super bowl a few years back

ghostyapper
10-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Clearly a make up call - Anyone, if objective, should agree that the game officiating was as bad as it gets.

Yes it was a poorly officiated game but the ravens weren't robbed. I saw alot of contact downfield (passed 5 yards) on the pats receivers. They should have called illegal contact numberous times on the ravens.

headhawg
10-08-2009, 09:13 AM
There are calls in every game that the zebras miss or get wrong. They balance out over the course of the season. If you don't believe that, then you are either a true homer or don't watch enough football.