PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown Conspiracy?

PaceAdvantage
05-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Seriously, when did the Belmont Stakes become as prestigious as the Kentucky Derby, where every trainer with a 3yo who can breathe has been clawing at each other to reach the entry box first?

I read the racing news everyday, and everyday it seems some unheard of horse is now being pointed to the Belmont Stakes, typically from a Kentucky outfit....

Conspiracy? Trying to stack the odds in favor of a Funny Cide defeat? Is someone going to pull a Woody Stephens on us and "make sure" Funny Cide loses just like Winning Colors???

Now KEN (KY Boy) McPEEK is thinking of running not only BEST MINISTER (who?) but also WILD AND WICKED (WHO???) in the Belmont, after Wild And Wicked won an ALLOWANCE race in the MUD at Churchill in 1:44 1/5 for the 8.5 furlong race.....yawn....

I realize he won last year with Sarava, but lightning does NOT strike twice with any sort of regularity.

What gives here? Ever since talk of ol' Atswhatimtalknbout's abscess and bruised foot got around, the good ol' boys have been scrambling to make sure they have adequate fire power to go after the NY Bred gelding who could easily win the coveted Triple Crown....

Am I paranoid....am I a suspicious New Yorker??? Or are my theories grounded in the reality that it seems that people are entering the race not to make sure THEY win, but that a certain someone else DOESN'T win, or at least has a tougher time of winning.....

==PA

penguinfan
05-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Short of an all out conspiracy, I say bring on all comers, it wouldn't be a triple crown worth much if he doesn't beat all eligible comers.

Penguinfan

Skanoochies
05-27-2003, 03:36 PM
I guess whenever you have a chance for a triple crown winner the Belmont will be the most prestigious race of the three that year. 129 horses have won the Derby, 128 the Preakness, but only 12 have nailed the triple. Every owner and their dog will want to say they had a horse in the race when the feat was accomplished. More than half probably realize they don`t have a chance but their egos dictate their decision. Personally I believe only the mile and one half, or Empire Maker, can defeat Funny Cide this year. To hell with betting the race, I am just going to sit back and enjoy the race and cheer for F.C. to win. I think it would be great for N.Y. racing and breeding, as well as the sport in general. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Good luck Funny Cide. Good luck New Yorkers.

Next year Frankel. :D

Skanoochies.

JustRalph
05-27-2003, 03:53 PM
I will be cheering against Frankel. Enough said....

Suff
05-27-2003, 05:35 PM
I'm OK with any effort to Undermine Funnycide. Its the Price. Its not all that Sportsman like.... But just the same... Horse racing has its rivalrys and personalities. Its part of the game that KY Breeders would go all out to stop a TC winner breed in NY.

Just Remember this......After Knocking Funnycide in the KD and Preakness....... The Very first thing you will hear out of thier mouths if he wins the Triple Crown.

"Distorted Humor Stands in Kentucky and the Mare was Matched there.......But Dropped the Foal in NY."

I garauntee thats the party line after he wins.

Side note....... Belmont Park. On a Monday, In a torrential Down Pour, Drew 16,000 people yesterday. Thats more than a Major league Baseball team gets for its Home games in about 5 markets right now. I really Hope Funnycide wins. As a Big Fan of NYRA racing....... it'd be nice to get NYC excited about racing again.

PaceAdvantage
05-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Now that I think about it, they got a nice big field for War Emblem as well as Charismatic....

WINMANWIN
05-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage

Conspiracy? Trying to stack the odds in favor of a Funny Cide defeat? Is someone going to pull a Woody Stephens on us and "make sure" Funny Cide loses just like Winning Colors???

Now KEN (KY Boy) McPEEK is thinking of running not only BEST MINISTER (who?) but also WILD AND WICKED (WHO???) in the Belmont, after Wild And Wicked won an ALLOWANCE race in the MUD at Churchill in 1:44 1/5 for the 8.5 furlong race.....yawn....

==PA [/B]
Today on the N.Y.C. OTB show Rick Lang said the Mcpeek camp
thinks that WILD AND WICKED is BETTER than last yr's BELMONT Winner SAVARA who as we all know. Mcpeek TRAINED..:eek: