PDA

View Full Version : Why do the work when you can just make stuff up instead?

cj
09-28-2009, 08:53 PM
From Mike Watchmaker and his recent DRF column:

Summer Bird became the first 3-year-old male this year to win two Grade 1 races when he added a decisive victory in the Travers Stakes last time out to his earlier upset of the Belmont Stakes.

Really Mike? Did you even bother to check your facts? Is there an editor for these articles?

jballscalls
09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
From Mike Watchmaker and his recent DRF column:

Really Mike? Did you even bother to check your facts? Is there an editor for these articles?

which horse did it first this season?

cj
09-28-2009, 09:37 PM
which horse did it first this season?

Zensational, and he has won three G1s actually.

CBedo
09-28-2009, 09:48 PM
I guess Mike doesn't consider California "racing." :lol:

Imriledup
09-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Maybe the DRF needs to hire a few more reporters to chase around jocks agents to make sure they're not trying to legally buy horses, that way, they can raise the price to 5.50 per copy at your favorite newsstand.

slew101
09-29-2009, 12:06 AM
It's already $5.50 when you buy it at most newstands. You only get the $5 if your at the track.

Maybe the DRF needs to hire a few more reporters to chase around jocks agents to make sure they're not trying to legally buy horses, that way, they can raise the price to 5.50 per copy at your favorite newsstand.

DJofSD
09-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Just change the "R" to rumor.

Imriledup
09-29-2009, 12:36 AM
It's already $5.50 when you buy it at most newstands. You only get the $5 if your at the track.

Yep, they jack you on the price, those newsstands do.

5.50 on track is coming soon.

phatbastard
09-29-2009, 02:15 AM
its already six bucks, and latest word is that it will be 7.50 for weekend editions

proffdw
09-29-2009, 04:06 AM
i went to the last day of racing at EMERALD DOWNS in 2007,and the form only cost 3.50 then,so if what you say is true the form went up 2.00 in 2 years.
no wonder people aren't going to the track like they used to when i was going quite often.i remember the last day of racing it cost me $ 5 to get in,3.50
for the form,and 2.50 for the program.that's 11.00 dollars before you even put your butt on a seat.that's awful.now with the economy like it is i suppose it
will get worse.i remember years ago when i was going to longacres racetrack a
racing paper came out called"RACING TIMES",and it was a hundred times better
than drf could ever be.if that was still around maybe it would be expensive,but
IMHO it would be well worth it.i used it three different days,and i got more winners than i ever did with the drf.that's why for the last 13 years of longacres,and 3 years at yakima i used a tote board method,so i wouldn't have
to buy a form,or program. D W

Imriledup
09-29-2009, 05:02 AM
Think of the irony that the DRF has to keep raising prices in order to afford the salaries of their writers and handicappers and those same handicappers are trying hard to uncover nuggets of information to hurt you and make the 'right' horses pay less money more of the time. I feel bad that i'm paying Brad Free's salary and here he is telling Joe Blow that a horse galloped out great after the wire when Joe Blow, who has a 9 to 5 job and a family, wouldn't know about that great gallop out because he wouldnt' have the time to watch tapes.

Once in a while i'll have a big edge on a horse and one of their public handicappers will tip off people to this and here i am paying their salary to hurt my information.

I wish DRF would just stick to publishing PPs at a reasonable cost and not have to charge me to pay writers and handicappers salaries when i just want the PPs.

andicap
09-29-2009, 06:02 AM
you guys miss the point.
DRF does NOT want people to buy the print form. It raises the price because
a) the price of newsprint gets ever expensive. Newsprint doesn't grow on trees you know -- OK, so it does, but it's still costly.

b) More importantly, DRF is trying to drive everyone to use its electronic products. It's much more economical for the paper. No distribution system. no newsprint costs. No paying newsstand agents.

Tom
09-29-2009, 07:37 AM
But Andy, they rape you on the electronic version, too! :ThmbDown:

baldvin
09-29-2009, 08:54 AM
In Las Vegas (gratest city in world!) they charge racing from $2! Sometimes $1 Somtimes free! Sometimes 10 tracks!!!

fmolf
09-29-2009, 09:20 AM
their still very expensive even on line....I only use bris products now.I am done with the drf....i will read whatever is free on their website and that is all.

Bochall
09-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Maybe the DRF needs to hire a few more reporters to chase around jocks agents to make sure they're not trying to legally buy horses, that way, they can raise the price to 5.50 per copy at your favorite newsstand. $5.50!!! Try over $7 a pop where I live...ofcourse I have gotten away from DRF style pp's (it was tough) because my ADW company gives me free pp's for every card I wager on. I will adapt to Brisnet or Equibase or whatever for free.

cj's dad
09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Amazing how a topic can go from Mike Watchmaker being a dolt to the cost of the DRF !!:faint:

Imriledup
09-29-2009, 05:30 PM
$5.50!!! Try over $7 a pop where I live...ofcourse I have gotten away from DRF style pp's (it was tough) because my ADW company gives me free pp's for every card I wager on. I will adapt to Brisnet or Equibase or whatever for free.

Who charges 7 bucks?

cj
09-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Watchmaker is one of the guys you have to sign in to read. That was part of the point of the thread. The other part is that he is a dolt.

Thomas Roulston
09-30-2009, 08:49 AM
You think that's bad: Yesterday I discovered that, in the All-Time Team-vs.-Team Matchups section of the 2009 NFL Record & Fact Book, they have the Packers listed as winning the second meeting between them and the Vikings last year, 28-27. Actually, Minnesota won that game by that score (it was also the first time a 1-point favorite based on the consensus opening line won an NFL game by 1 point since 1994).

Bochall
09-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Who charges 7 bucks? I used to live in Lafayette, La and the newstand and other gas stations charge $7.15 for DRF (but its only $7.00 @ Evd!!!) I have contacted the circulation dept. at DRF and the say it is what it is...they can charge $10 if they want. In New Orleans it costs $3.50 at the OTB and they give you a voucher for a free beer or soda...hello! Steve Marcinak is circulation guy for my region and his guy, Merlin Darby, drops off the form when and where he pleases. I have spoken with Mr Darby and let me assure you he's no Ivy Leaguer...but he does promise to "try harder" to get them to the outlets they're supposed to get to. Sometimes he's in a hurry so he skips some outlets and just drops them all at Evangeline Downs, which is 30mins from Lafayette......and this is why I don't buy DRF pp's. Their online packages just went up around 35%. A quarterly plan was approx. $85 and now it's around $105.....see ya! Oh, btw, I like Watchmaker!

Dave Schwartz
09-30-2009, 11:24 AM
CJ,

Yes, but what is the POINT of this thread?

Does it have to do with watches?

Dave

;)

Irish Boy
09-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Didn't Watchmaker publish a thumbsucker last year about how Pyro v War Pass was the new Affirmed v. Alydar? :D That was the day that War Pass finished seventh in a field of seven in the Tampa Bay Downs (huge bridgejumper opportunity IIRC).

cj
09-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Didn't Watchmaker publish a thumbsucker last year about how Pyro v War Pass was the new Affirmed v. Alydar? :D That was the day that War Pass finished seventh in a field of seven in the Tampa Bay Downs (huge bridgejumper opportunity IIRC).

I'm sure he has his share of bad opinions. Hell, I know that I do. Any real horseplayer is going to be wrong a lot more than they are right, johnnielu excepted.

This was just being lazy and not getting the facts right. Steve Crist has a list of all the Graded winners in his most recent blog that he could have checked.

Irish Boy
09-30-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm sure he has his share of bad opinions. Hell, I know that I do. Any real horseplayer is going to be wrong a lot more than they are right, johnnielu excepted.

This was just being lazy and not getting the facts right. Steve Crist has a list of all the Graded winners in his most recent blog that he could have checked.

I agree with that. But there's a lesson in there; not every two/three year old dual is "AFFIRMED V ALYDAR", and it seems a bit silly to make that sort of claim when neither horse had even reached the main prep races as 3yos. It just sort of smacked of desparation/deadline approaching. Then again, I'm not 100% sure that Watchmaker wrote the article, so maybe I'm "pulling a Watchmaker" myself. :D

And it's easy to be right more than you're wrong when you're collecting 2.20. The true challenge is to always be right... like Zilzal.

Imriledup
09-30-2009, 09:55 PM
I used to live in Lafayette, La and the newstand and other gas stations charge $7.15 for DRF (but its only $7.00 @ Evd!!!) I have contacted the circulation dept. at DRF and the say it is what it is...they can charge $10 if they want. In New Orleans it costs $3.50 at the OTB and they give you a voucher for a free beer or soda...hello! Steve Marcinak is circulation guy for my region and his guy, Merlin Darby, drops off the form when and where he pleases. I have spoken with Mr Darby and let me assure you he's no Ivy Leaguer...but he does promise to "try harder" to get them to the outlets they're supposed to get to. Sometimes he's in a hurry so he skips some outlets and just drops them all at Evangeline Downs, which is 30mins from Lafayette......and this is why I don't buy DRF pp's. Their online packages just went up around 35%. A quarterly plan was approx. $85 and now it's around $105.....see ya! Oh, btw, I like Watchmaker!

Wow, that's criminal.

Niko
10-01-2009, 08:47 PM

:lol:

JustRalph
10-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Why would anybody pay for the DRF? Online or otherwise is beyond me.

Unless it is the only thing you have/no computer etc..........give me a break.

Pell Mell
10-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Personally, I don't have an iron in this fire but a lot of my old friends do. These guys are in their 70-80s and old habits die hard. They don't understand why they have to pay 7 bucks at the news stand for a paper with 4 tracks in it. They all like to do their handicapping at home the night before. They can get the simulcast edition at the OTB with 6 or more tracks in it but they want to handicap before going to the track. Why can't the DRF sell the same edition at the stores? I hate to say it but I know 8 guys that have virtually quit betting because of this. It's strange that on Mon. and Tues. the news stand edition has all the tracks in it. What's the deal here?