PDA

View Full Version : Joe Takach-Part V

karlskorner
05-27-2003, 09:35 AM
The more he writes, the better it gets

so.cal.fan
05-27-2003, 11:16 AM
We know Joe very well......as we are in the paddock everyday like he is.
He is the "real deal". Puts his money thru the windows to back up his "opines".
His writing is ORIGINAL.......and very entertaining, even if you aren't a horseplayer.

PaceAdvantage
05-27-2003, 01:34 PM
I've had part VI in my e-mail box for a few days...been away so couldn't post it....will put it up tonight....

karlskorner
05-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Couldn't wait any longer, went to Joe T's site and read Part VI.
Nothing exciting leads to Part VII, like a carrot on the end of a stick.

PaceAdvantage
05-29-2003, 10:16 AM
lol

Valuist
06-02-2003, 09:44 AM
Had a chance to use this "Predatory Handicapping" theory that Takach wrote about in yesterday's 9th race at Arlington.

I happened to stop by their Trackside facility adjacent to the track yesterday morning to place a few wagers. I didn't like much so I figured I'd go golfing in the afternoon. While there, I hear one of Arlington's employees giving a tour of the facility to some guy. I hear the employee ask somebody else if they can give the guy a ride to the barn area because he has a horse running later in the day and he wants to stop by the barn. I started eavesdropping at this point and hear the guy say he was from New York and wanted to watch his horse run. He said he didn't guarantee the horse would win but the horse was training well. He also said the horse came out of its last race sick and was given time off. I caught him say the name: Elusive Road. I looked over the pps and now it made sense. The horse ran a solid 5th against a tough field of 2 YO Mdns at Churchill in November, losing to eventual stakes winner Golden Marlin. Then came the disastrous race at the FG, in which it was sick. The trainer was Rebecca Maker, who has been on fire at Arlington. Here I just read about "Predatory Capping" last week but it was apparent it was happening right before my eyes. I decided to only play 9 holes of golf so I could get back to AP for the end of their card. If the owner was willing to go from New York to watch his horse run, I knew it must've been well-meant. The horse was 8-1 in the program but opened up the betting as the 3-1 favorite. Slowly
the odds drifted up, eventually to 10-1. The morning line favorites were a pair of 1st timers, one by Asmussen that looked sharp in the paddock, and the other by Harty, who looked like a sore mule. Asmussen's horse had the lead turning for home but Elusive Road was bearing down on him quickly and appeared like he'd go by but hung in the last 10 yards to lose by a head. Not long after, the rider of Elusive Road claimed foul and we saw the head on; Asmussen's horse bore out badly near the wire, smashing into Elusive Road and killing his momentum. About two minutes later, they DQ'd Asmussen's horse to 2nd, putting E.R. in the win slot at 10-1. I'd love to say I earned this one but it was simply a matter of being in the right place at the right time, but that's what Predatory Handicapping is all about.

karlskorner
06-02-2003, 09:49 AM
It's known as "information", something you get by being there.

blind squirrel
06-02-2003, 10:39 AM
a jockey's objection.....how often do you see that?
i bet DOUBTLESS,had a 8-2 exacta,i thought it was
a cheap dq,not that i'm bitter{lol}.

Valuist
06-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Tough loss, Squirrel. I take it you didn't save the other way? But realistically, Doubtless had to get taken down.

blind squirrel
06-02-2003, 10:59 AM
VALUIST,no i didn't save,i'd have to disagree
on DQ,but i've been on both sides and it all
averages out......good story on "inside info".