PDA

View Full Version : Big day

46zilzal
09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Our only graded race of the year ran yesterday and we had a shipper here all the way from Monmouth from the barn of Barclay Tagg (Jersey Town) that figured to be the pace in the British Columbia Derby. He was in suicidal fractions for a 9 furlong bull ring race and was caught in the final 1/16th by the winner of the Emerald Derby and a little gelding with the one of the best names I ever heard of Winning Machine. The connections, are, at this point, thinking of sending him to Anita for the Breeder's Cup. I hope they come back to earth before then.

cj
09-29-2009, 01:32 PM
The fractions were moderately fast, but hardly suicidal. The 1-2-3 horses at the first call ran 2-1-3. Not only that, a short time earlier on the card at the same distance, older horses ran much quicker at all but the first call and the favorite blew the field away from just off the pace.

bisket
09-29-2009, 06:05 PM
those are fast fractions considering they practically circled the track twice. i usually subtract 3/5 of a second to give actual times without going around a turn. this isn't exact but its close enough. this track is a 5 furlong oval. those are fast fractions!! heres track info from hastings from drf
http://drf.com/trackinfo/hastings_park.html

46zilzal
09-29-2009, 06:13 PM
The fractions were moderately fast, but hardly suicidal. The 1-2-3 horses at the first call ran 2-1-3. Not only that, a short time earlier on the card at the same distance, older horses ran much quicker at all but the first call and the favorite blew the field away from just off the pace.

That favorite (Tiede) was MILES ahead of that field having just missed in the Longacres Mile.

On that track, at that distance for three year olds it was very fast. Guess having followed the track every year now since 1977 doesn't count.

Hmm just about 7 or 8 people commented that very fact, one of them an ex-jockey who rode there for years.

cj
09-29-2009, 08:51 PM
That favorite (Tiede) was MILES ahead of that field having just missed in the Longacres Mile.

On that track, at that distance for three year olds it was very fast. Guess having followed the track every year now since 1977 doesn't count.

Hmm just about 7 or 8 people commented that very fact, one of them an ex-jockey who rode there for years.

The track was very fast as I'm sure you know. If you think those are suicidal fractions for that final time, you are mistaken. I'd provide the data, but you would just ignore it anyway.

Forgetting the data, how often do suicidal fractions result in the horses running 1-2-3 at the first call finishing 2-1-3?

46zilzal
09-29-2009, 09:10 PM
The track was very fast as I'm sure you know. If you think those are suicidal fractions for that final time, you are mistaken. I'd provide the data, but you would just ignore it anyway.

Forgetting the data, how often do suicidal fractions result in the horses running 1-2-3 at the first call finishing 2-1-3?
When those horses ALL came from OTHER tracks MUCH FASTER than Hastings.

Winner and show were Emerald shippers and place gelding came in from New Jersey. The local group were no where near that talented.

I so enjoy being told, PARTICULARLY BY A GRANDSTANDER, all about a track I have know first hand for over 30 years

cj
09-29-2009, 09:15 PM
The truth is you don't like being told about anything by anybody. Too bad. I know plenty about Hastings Park, and don't have to attend the races there to know that was not a suicidal pace.

The race was practically all shippers. The third place horse was 29 to 1...yes, very dominant. The favorite wasn't among the top three.

Keep believing what you want, I'll keep betting the facts.

ps...any of these going to win a Sovereign Award?

46zilzal
09-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Tiede is one of a group of ten that the owners, Swift Thoroughbreds, purchases in a package deal with these guys...You may have heard of them: Darley Stud. http://www.darley.co.uk/Homepage/EU

Their company made a fortune in software and have purchased well and hope to keep these horse here for breeding purposes.

46zilzal
09-29-2009, 09:41 PM
The race was practically all shippers. The third place horse was 29 to 1...yes, very dominant. The favorite wasn't among the top three.

The favorite was WAY overbet based upon one, "alone on the lead" win at the Canadian Derby at Northlands. I mentioned to Tommy Wolski (ex-jockey who has a show locally called The Sport of Kings) and his producer Howard as they went to post, that 4/5 was ridiculous. Should have been 2/1 at the LEAST.

Regular rider on the horse (favorite Tommy Danziger), broke both collarbones Friday night so that Fernando Perez was up for the first time and had to go 3 to 4 wide the entire way and could not keep up.

cj
09-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Tiede is one of a group of ten that the owners, Swift Thoroughbreds, purchases in a package deal with these guys...You may have heard of them: Darley Stud. http://www.darley.co.uk/Homepage/EU

Their company made a fortune in software and have purchased well and hope to keep these horse here for breeding purposes.

If their operation is going to depend on breeding horses like Tiede, they better stick to software.