PDA

View Full Version : Yankees clinch

lamboguy
09-27-2009, 10:51 PM
today in the brand new yankee stadium the yanks beat the red sox.

i am from boston, but i am a giant yankee fan. i think the worst thing they could have done is win today and drink their champagne infront of the opposition, they might face each other down the road this year, i am sure the manager for the sox will show the video of the yanks drinking their dom perignon infront of their faces, and might serve as motivation!

go yankee's

PaceAdvantage
09-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Screw that...not only should they celebrate in front of whomever, especially in their own house, but they ought to aim their corks at the opposition's locker room...:lol:

cj
09-27-2009, 11:08 PM
As much as I hate the Yankees, and that is a lot, it was nice to see them clinch over the much more hated Red Sox.

cmoore
09-27-2009, 11:49 PM
I hope they get beat in the playoffs again.. They'll have to add to their 201 million dollar payroll next year..That's already 66 million dollars more then any other team..Maybe 230 million will get them another ring..:lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Actually, it's only $52 million more than the Mets...but who's counting?

cmoore
09-28-2009, 02:18 AM
Actually, it's only $52 million more than the Mets...but who's counting?

This was the starting payrolls for opening day..The link is below..

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=4053452&campaign=rsssrch&source=new+york+yankees
Team Payroll Average....

N.Y. Yankees $201,449,289 $7,748,050

New York Mets (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nym) 135,773,988 4,849,071

Chicago Cubs (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chn) 135,050,000 5,402,000

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2009, 02:45 AM
The source I used had a much higher figure for the Mets:

http://www.getlisty.com/preview/2009-mlb-team-payrolls/

An article on MLB.com seems to agree with the higher number for the Mets:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090406&content_id=4136248&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Not that it matters much...

cmoore
09-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Along with my first link..Here's another link that agrees to the 66 million dollar gap at the start of the season..Not that it matters much..:rolleyes:

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2009, 03:07 AM
You know what...it doesn't matter, at least not to me...the Mets had the second highest payroll in the league and they sucked ass due to injuries and whatnot...payroll doesn't always tell the whole story.

Look at the Yankees last year...didn't even make the playoffs...

Lots of teams have decided to follow the Yankee lead and spend $$$$ and still haven't gotten anywhere. The Cubs are another fine example.

I'm not going to apologize for the Yankees or their payroll. As if any other team with that kind of money to spend WOULDN'T be spending...:lol: :lol:

Java Gold@TFT
09-28-2009, 07:03 AM
today in the brand new yankee stadium the yanks beat the red sox.

i am from boston, but i am a giant yankee fan. i think the worst thing they could have done is win today and drink their champagne infront of the opposition, they might face each other down the road this year, i am sure the manager for the sox will show the video of the yanks drinking their dom perignon infront of their faces, and might serve as motivation!

go yankee's
Doesn't really matter about doing it after sweeping the Red Sox. The Sox won't make it past the LAAA team anyway.

rastajenk
09-28-2009, 08:00 AM
The champagne thing is a major pet peeve of mine (and isn't it more likely to be Cook's or Cold Duck than Dom Perignon :p ). The division clinchers haven't won anything yet. If I was the manager of a team that was highly regarded and expected to do well, there would be no excessive celebrations until the end.

Champagne when you clinch; chamagne when you win a league championship; champagne when you when it all...too much.

If I was the manager of the Senators or Pirates or Royals, and we put together an extremely unexpected winning season, maybe I'd relax my stance a little bit, but not necessarily....still much work to be done. But when teams go to the playoffs year after year (and usually come away with nothing, because there is only one winner), I'd keep my corks in their bottles until the end.

That's my rant, and I'm sticking to it. :)

cj's dad
09-28-2009, 08:06 AM
You know what...it doesn't matter, at least not to me...the Mets had the second highest payroll in the league and they sucked ass due to injuries and whatnot...payroll doesn't always tell the whole story.

Look at the Yankees last year...didn't even make the playoffs...

Lots of teams have decided to follow the Yankee lead and spend $$$$ and still haven't gotten anywhere. The Cubs are another fine example.

I'm not going to apologize for the Yankees or their payroll. As if any other team with that kind of money to spend WOULDN'T be spending...:lol: :lol:

Last I checked, the Yankees were playing by the rules.

They own the hated (by me) Red Sawx !!

Yankees have 26/27 ? WS wins. In my lifetime the sawx have 2 - two !

yet their fans walk around like the sawx are the greatest thing in baseball.
BTW- Bill Buckner- my favorite red sawk ever !!!! :lol:

lamboguy
09-28-2009, 08:09 AM
The champagne thing is a major pet peeve of mine (and isn't it more likely to be Cook's or Cold Duck than Dom Perignon :p ). The division clinchers haven't won anything yet. If I was the manager of a team that was highly regarded and expected to do well, there would be no excessive celebrations until the end.

Champagne when you clinch; chamagne when you win a league championship; champagne when you when it all...too much.

If I was the manager of the Senators or Pirates or Royals, and we put together an extremely unexpected winning season, maybe I'd relax my stance a little bit, but not necessarily....still much work to be done. But when teams go to the playoffs year after year (and usually come away with nothing, because there is only one winner), I'd keep my corks in their bottles until the end.

That's my rant, and I'm sticking to it. :)years ago i don't remember any team with the champagne until after they won the pennant. all the yankees did was win a division yesterday, they still have 2 more steps before they can claim the pennant.

sandpit
09-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Who are the Senators?

lamboguy
09-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Who are the Senators?years ago when ted williams played there was the washington senators from our capitol. if i am right ted williams was a manager for them in one of the last years they played in washington. the senators turned into the montreal expo's. i have no clue what happened to the expo's, i know they had a few good years there and they had a tremendous manager by the name of dick williams for a few years.if i am right when williams was with them they had a pitcher there bill lee who was with the red sox and he was the guy that served up the ephis pitch to tony perez who parked the ball in the left field screen of fenway park. the red sox went on to lose that world series in the 7th game to the cincinatti reds, argueably the greatest 8 man team of all time!

rastajenk
09-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Aaargh...my bad. Natis, of course. :blush:

Lambo, the Senators turned into the Texas Rangers. Expos were an expansion team.

Quagmire
09-28-2009, 10:10 AM
i have no clue what happened to the expo's

The Expos are now the Washington Nationals

ghostyapper
09-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I hope they get beat in the playoffs again.. They'll have to add to their 201 million dollar payroll next year..That's already 66 million dollars more then any other team..Maybe 230 million will get them another ring..:lol:

these cry's are only brought up when the yankees are winning so I guess it's a good day for the yanks.

It's funny how in april and may people were just talking baseball. But come july and august it was "how can we fix baseball's payroll problem"

lamboguy
09-28-2009, 10:38 AM
thanks for correcting me, its really a sign of age. i seemto make lots of mistakes lately. i guess i am a candidate for altheimers disease.

the expo's were the first expansion team, then a few years later they added the blue jay's and the mariner's at the same time.

Marshall Bennett
09-28-2009, 12:15 PM
the senators turned into the montreal expo's.
The senators became the Texas Rangers . :)

cj's dad
09-28-2009, 12:26 PM
The senators became the Texas Rangers . :)

Actually, the first time the Senators moved was after the '60 season when they uprooted to minnesota and owner cal griffith

lamboguy
09-28-2009, 12:38 PM
the problem with baseball today is they are not paying the players enough money. how do you expect a guy that is a baseball pitcher to get by on only $26million a year and he has to pitch for 6 innings every fifth day!

Marshall Bennett
09-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Actually, the first time the Senators moved was after the '60 season when they uprooted to minnesota and owner cal griffith
Yeah , believe that was the same senators that went as far back as Walter Johnson . The 60's senators was an expansion team , never any good , Frank Howard being one bright spot . He was huge and had a ton of power . That team went to Arlington I believe in 1970 . As you said though , the Twins adopted the original senators .

iRNA
09-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Expos became the Nationals.

RaceBookJoe
09-29-2009, 01:27 PM
At yankees.com there is a video from last nights game where rookie Ramiro Pena hits his frst homerun, and when he gets back to the dugout he gets the silent treatment...then they give him his props.

cmoore
09-29-2009, 05:16 PM
these cry's are only brought up when the yankees are winning so I guess it's a good day for the yanks.

It's funny how in april and may people were just talking baseball. But come july and august it was "how can we fix baseball's payroll problem"

Nine years straight, the highest payroll and no rings. You gotta love it..I hope it's another 9 years. I haven't watched baseball all year..It's slow and boring to me anymore. The NFL and NBA are leaps and bounds ahead of baseball imo. I don't care who wins the World Series..As long as it aint the frickin Yankees..

rastajenk
10-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Defending champs just eliminated a wild-card team; hey, seems like a good reason to spray some champagne! :rolleyes:

They don't even look like it's all that much fun. Just doing it because they have to, I guess.

:ThmbDown: