PDA

View Full Version : Jockey Kyle Kaenel.....

docicu3
09-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Anybody hear how he is after the nasty spill in the 8th at Fairplex. Looked awful at first glance....

Imriledup
09-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Broken Collar bone, bruised lung, broke bone in shoulder.

He's on the TVG set and seems in good spirits hanging out with Mike Joyce and Frank Mirhamadi.

Imriledup
09-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Kyle is saying he'll be out at least 2 months, depending on how he heels.

InsideThePylons-MW
09-28-2009, 04:55 PM
He's on the TVG set and seems in good spirits hanging out with Mike Joyce and Frank Mirhamadi.

I'm hoping TVG does the right thing and has him give us his FPX Pick-4 ticket

bisket
09-28-2009, 04:58 PM
is he cowboy jack kaenel's son?

jballscalls
09-28-2009, 05:00 PM
is he cowboy jack kaenel's son?

yes he is

bisket
09-28-2009, 05:01 PM
i read about about cowboy jack having a son who's trying to make it as a jock in our local paper. i hope he's gonna be alright.

CBedo
09-28-2009, 05:06 PM
He is on TVG right now and sounds in good spirits.

bisket
09-28-2009, 05:09 PM
he's the spitting image of his dad. that same long neck. he'll be back :)

Imriledup
09-28-2009, 05:12 PM
He is on TVG right now and sounds in good spirits.

yes, he's pretty upbeat about the whole thing. He even talked about his previous injures and the way he talked about them it was like they were a badge of honor. Kyle understands that being a rider that injuries are a part of the business, he seems mentally able to handle the ups and downs of the game, he talked about his injuries and it seemed like his attitude was 'no big deal, i'll heal and be back" I don't think i would be so upbeat if i was all busted up like that.

Here's a BIO i found on Kyle from NTRA.com

<LI>Born: Jan. 29, 1988, Oceanside, N.Y.
<LI>Resident: Pinckneyville, Ill.
<LI>Family: Father is "Cowboy" Jack Kaenel, who at the age of 16 became the youngest jockey ever to win a Triple Crown race when he rode Aloma's Ruler in the Preakness Stakes in 1982 ... Aunt Jill, a former jockey, is married to jockey Rodney Trader.
<LI>Through Dec. 31, 2006, he had purse earnings of $3,380,305
<LI>Through Dec. 31, 2006, he won 132 races from 1,057 mounts.
<LI>Only Breeders' Cup mount was on Malibu Mint in the 2006 Sprint, finishing 12th.
<LI>Top mount in 2006 is Malibu Mint (G3 Thoroughbred Club of America, Weekend Delight).
<LI>His parents divorced in 1997 and he grew up with his mother, stepfather and siblings in Southern Illinois ... Was 7 when he rode in mule races and rode bulls as a teen-ager ... Began working with racehorses at an area farm.
<LI>Began his professional riding career at age 16 on Sept. 6, 2004, at Ellis Park … Scored his first win on Sept. 21, 2004, at Kentucky Downs aboard Load a Chronic, who won by a nose.
<LI>Moved his tack to Turf Paradise in Phoenix, where he won 109 races during the 2004-2005 season and was the track's leading apprentice … Scored his first stakes victory when he rode Raging Wind to capture Turf Paradise's Palo Verde Handicap on March 6, 2005.
<LI>A month later broke a shoulder and two vertebrae at Turf Paradise when unseated by his mount … Wore a halo to stabilize his neck and shoulder and returned to riding sixth months later, scoring his first win back after his injury on Oct. 2, 2005, at Hawthorne.
<LI>Considered the dominant apprentice during the past winter at Aqueduct ... Became a journeyman rider in March.
<LI>Relocated to his father's old stomping grounds in Maryland in April, also riding at Colonial Downs in the summer ... “I've gotten a lot off my dad's name,” Kaenel said. “You see people say, ‘Kaenel, we'll give him a shot. His dad rode for me, so we'll see what (the son) can do.' I say, ‘Put me on and I'll win for you.'”
<LI>Scored first graded stakes victory of career when he piloted Malibu Mint to victory in the Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes at Keeneland on Oct. 14. In her previous start, he rode her to win the Weekend Delight Stakes at Turfway Park. After the TCA Stakes, trainer Jim Chapman said about Kaenel: “This kid, he needs a shot because he's a good rider. He's a top rider.” … Kaenel said he liked Malibu Mint because of "how honest she is. She'll give you everything she has."
<LI>Most recently has ridden at Bay Meadows.
<LI>As of Oct. 23 had won 257 races and ridden the earners of nearly $4.93 million since he began riding.
Told the Blood-Horse that he often talks to his father about riding racehorses. "He'll watch and say 'this will help you' and 'that will help you,'" Kyle said. "If he sees you doing something wrong, he'll correct you, if not, he'll let you do your own thing."

FlyinLate
09-28-2009, 09:16 PM
I actually like Kyle alot and think he has alot of potential.

I frequently supported his horses when he was running with the Northern Cal circuit. He's struggled a bit at this Fairplex meet (I had him on his first winner, after I believe he lost his first 50 races). Hopefully he makes a full recovery and comes back better than ever.

illinoisbred
09-28-2009, 09:21 PM
I like Kyle too. He rode in Illinois 4-5 years ago for approx. 1 year.Chris Block used him, so did other quality outfits.I remember his dad, son looked the same.

Greyfox
09-28-2009, 09:56 PM
I actually like Kyle alot and think he has alot of potential.

I agree. Kyle can ride. He wasn't given many "live" mounts at Fairplex. The losses weren't due to his handling of the steeds.

Robert Goren
09-29-2009, 12:02 AM
I knew his grandfather, Dale, who died this spring in Little Rock. He was small time trainer off and over the years. His name was pronounced Kennel as in dog kennel until Jack won the Preakness, then it was pronounced canal as in the Panama Canal. A mutual friend used joke that the Preakness win made them French.;)

macdiarmida
09-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Kyle is tall for a jock, so IMO it's a matter of time before weight becomes a major problem for him. It might be already as long losing streaks seem to be a hallmark of riders with weight problems.

Imriledup
10-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Kyle announced his retirement from riding. Good luck to him and his family going forward.

picojim
01-28-2010, 11:28 PM
good luck as a trainer!

todays claim at SA
Primadonna Pearl by Kyle Kaenel (Vod J. Farris)

Spalding No!
01-28-2010, 11:41 PM
good luck as a trainer!

todays claim at SA
Primadonna Pearl by Kyle Kaenel (Vod J. Farris)

He was actually listed as owner.

picojim
01-28-2010, 11:44 PM
He was actually listed as owner.

oops your right

never heard of Vod Farris

Robert Goren
01-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Good luck to him. As i stated previously in this thread, his grandfather(Dale Kaenel) was a trainer.

nijinski
01-29-2010, 12:08 AM
I also wish him luck . Between the injuries and the fact that he is about five foot nine , it's wise to stop now.

I also hope Jack is doing better,things just got out of control for him and the last I heard he had been left with a seizure disorder and huge medical debts.
He was only ffteen when he actually rode in Canada until caught.lol.
But seriously I would love to see Dad and Son working the same barn .
Jack was meant for this game and was a natural with horses and seemed like a nce guy who deserves a new beginning.

Ejmenz
01-29-2010, 01:44 AM
Good luck to Kyle.

Vod Farris trains QH at Los Al.

Stillriledup
01-29-2010, 03:05 AM
Kyle's a smart guy, he doesn't need to ride to make money in this game, he'll do just fine in whatever he wants to pursue.

I actually bet this horse today, she got a nice trip, but didn't switch leads and just got outrun late in the stretch.

Stillriledup
06-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Kyle just gave out a winner on TVG. He talked about seeing this horse in a recent workout and hearing the rider say he was the '2nd coming of blind luck'. First time starter mowed em down and paid 7 dollars.

Great stuff!

AZWrobel
06-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Kyle just gave out a winner on TVG. He talked about seeing this horse in a recent workout and hearing the rider say he was the '2nd coming of blind luck'. First time starter mowed em down and paid 7 dollars.

Great stuff!
That was a contentious group of maidens and He almost hit the exacta cold! The 11 was his second choice and he almost got into 2nd. Impressive!

PurplePower
06-13-2010, 03:17 AM
I thought he provided good "inside info" (like the "2nd coming of Blind Luck" comment he heard and shared with the audience) occasionally, but too often he reminded me of Paula "nobody's bad" Abdul when he was doing post parade comments as every horse he talked about "had a chance" if it "ran back to" some isolated performance.

And, is there any way to train his voice to be more compatible with TV audio? :confused: :)

kenwoodall2
06-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Why can't jockeys use preventitive neck braces, like football players and bull and bronc riders?

Stillriledup
06-14-2010, 12:21 AM
I thought he provided good "inside info" (like the "2nd coming of Blind Luck" comment he heard and shared with the audience) occasionally, but too often he reminded me of Paula "nobody's bad" Abdul when he was doing post parade comments as every horse he talked about "had a chance" if it "ran back to" some isolated performance.

And, is there any way to train his voice to be more compatible with TV audio? :confused: :)

He's the male version of Julie Krone voicewise!

Keep in mind that he's very new to this gig, so he's going to be conservative in the beginning.