PDA

View Full Version : Rip Van Winkle wins QE II - goes to Classic

gm10
09-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Aidan O brien just said on BBC. Very good horse. On Youtube very soon no doubt.

OTM Al
09-26-2009, 03:25 PM
I wasn't a believer in this guy at longer distances, but a mile seems perfect for him. He certainly would be a force in the Classic, but I do wonder about him coming home that last furlong. Depends who else shows up I guess. Must say I was a bit disappointed in Delagator's performance. After his last he looked to be one really coming into his own as well.

gm10
09-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Yes I agree about Delegator. Maybe he had an off-day, or maybe Zacinto is turning into a good animal.

Rip Van Winkle ... I wonder ... what do you think, did he respond or did Zacinto suddenly tire in the last half furlong? When I saw it live, I thought Zacinto hit a wall, but not so sure now.

Found a video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sYobs6q5ho.

gm10
09-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Rip VW is second favourite now for the Classic. Sea The Stars has drifted out to 5/, probably has to do with the sunny weather forecast for Paris.

Java Gold@TFT
09-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Anywhere online this video is up yet? Couldn't find it on Racing Post, youtube or Bloodhorse that usually have them by now.

OTM Al
09-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Looked to me that Zacinto was doing all he could to get there and there just wasn't enough. Rip still had enough left to pull away from him again at the end.

I think Sea is still better at the Classic distance, but Rip has certainly improved.

I didn't hear yet why Mastercraftsman scratched. Is he headed to the Arc then?

Java Gold@TFT
09-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Looked to me that Zacinto was doing all he could to get there and there just wasn't enough. Rip still had enough left to pull away from him again at the end.

I think Sea is still better at the Classic distance, but Rip has certainly improved.

I didn't hear yet why Mastercraftsman scratched. Is he headed to the Arc then?
Aiden O'Brien said all along that Mastercrafstman was jusr enterred as a backup in case anything went wrong with Rip Van Winkle. He scratched him from the race friday afternoon when everything came up fine for his winner. I think he is still pointing to the BC but not sure just which race.

miesque
09-26-2009, 08:18 PM
I think that Mastercraftsman was only in entered as an insurance policy if Rip Van Winkle was not deemed ready to run since he did have issues with a sore foot prior. I think we will see both in the BC Classic and at this point I am actually a bit more intrigued by Mastercraftsman in that race.

Oops I see someone beat me to the punch posting this.

Humph
09-27-2009, 04:28 AM
RVW saw out 10 furlongs well in the Eclipse at Sandown , which is a pretty searching track - the last few furlongs are uphill - so Classic's distance shouldn't be a problem . It's just that he found Sea The Stars too good - would have been a good winner of the race in most years , imho.

gm10
09-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Mastercraftsmen will go to Dundalk next, for a 13F race on the polytrack, as a prep for the BC. I guess they will go for the Classic rather than the Marathon.

Mastercraftsmen is 16/1 for the Classic which is very good value imo.

gm10
09-27-2009, 05:11 AM
Anywhere online this video is up yet? Couldn't find it on Racing Post, youtube or Bloodhorse that usually have them by now.
see earlier post

gm10
09-27-2009, 05:19 AM
here are their plans for the BC

http://www.eclipsemagazine.co.uk/magazine/ripheadstobreederscupafterascotwin.html

Java Gold@TFT
09-27-2009, 06:57 AM
see earlier post
Thanks, misssed that part. I kept using "QE II Acot" or "Queen Elizabeth II Ascot" as searches and this video has quuen spelled wrong so it never came up in my searches. I kept getting the 2008 race.

Still an interesting race for RVW. I thought he was going to get caught inside the last pole but he came on again.

gm10
09-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks, misssed that part. I kept using "QE II Acot" or "Queen Elizabeth II Ascot" as searches and this video has quuen spelled wrong so it never came up in my searches. I kept getting the 2008 race.

Still an interesting race for RVW. I thought he was going to get caught inside the last pole but he came on again.

Yes I thought so too. The horse who finished second is very lightly raced, but Delegator and Aqlaam are solid performers so I reckon this was one of the better mile wins of the year. It's supposed to be the European mile championship, though it wasn't really, not without Goldikova.

Gorgeous George
09-28-2009, 05:11 AM
goes to show you how great sea the stars really is..extra furlong in the BC will play to rip strenghts if he doesnt kick for home as early as he did on saturday..delegator has too much spped for a miler and should be kept to 7f.

gm10
09-28-2009, 05:54 AM
I think Delegator has a funny action in his front legs. They seem to make little circles, it doesn't seem very efficient somehow.

gm10
09-28-2009, 07:41 AM
I read that Zacinto is going to the Classic as well.

RobinFromIreland
09-28-2009, 09:01 AM
goes to show you how great sea the stars really is..extra furlong in the BC will play to rip strenghts if he doesnt kick for home as early as he did on saturday..delegator has too much spped for a miler and should be kept to 7f.

The BC Classic will be another 2 furlongs.

IIRC there is a grand total of one Group 1 race over 7f in Europe for 3yo+ (Prix de la Foret, where incidentally Goldikova will be running). Suggesting that Delegator be kept at 7f is not a viable strategy.

Gorgeous George
09-28-2009, 09:36 AM
The BC Classic will be another 2 furlongs.

IIRC there is a grand total of one Group 1 race over 7f in Europe for 3yo+ (Prix de la Foret, where incidentally Goldikova will be running). Suggesting that Delegator be kept at 7f is not a viable strategy.

Fair point Robin. He could go for the group 2 challenge stakes at newmarket then he has plenty of options next year if he drops back to 6f which should play to his strenghts.

Bruddah
09-28-2009, 09:46 AM
I thought Rip Van Winkle was a real sleeper all along. :rolleyes: :lol:

nearco
09-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Mastercraftsmen will go to Dundalk next, for a 13F race on the polytrack, as a prep for the BC. I guess they will go for the Classic rather than the Marathon.

Mastercraftsmen is 16/1 for the Classic which is very good value imo.

The race at Dundalk is 70 yards shy of 11f (1m 2f +150yds).
The only way Mastercraftsman would get the 14f of the Marathon is in the back of a trailer. He's an 8-10f horse.

OTM Al
09-28-2009, 08:32 PM
The only way Mastercraftsman would get the 14f of the Marathon is in the back of a trailer. He's an 8-10f horse.

Except nothing remotely close to his class would run in it, unless the Yeats rumors are true, so I think he'd still have a fair shot. He'll be in for one of the higher end races for sure, not the Marathon, which still needs about 2f more to really qualify for that label....but at least it moved in the right direction

tucker6
09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Except nothing remotely close to his class would run in it, unless the Yeats rumors are true, so I think he'd still have a fair shot. He'll be in for one of the higher end races for sure, not the Marathon, which still needs about 2f more to really qualify for that label....but at least it moved in the right direction
Is the Marathon on poly or grass??

Humph
09-29-2009, 01:57 AM

RVW for the Classic , Fame And Glory for the Turf , and Mastercraftsman for the Mile all seem pretty natural targets, imo. I can't believe Aidan has the Marathon on his mind for MCM.

gm10
09-29-2009, 04:00 AM

Aaaah ... they've made the race longer!!! I was thinking it was still 12F.

My pick for that race is still Gitano Hernando.

gm10
09-29-2009, 04:02 AM

I really believe Yeats will be there. O'brien has no problem with running his stars on unfamiliar surfaces/distances/courses. It would be fabulous to see such a legend in the Breeders Cup.

Gorgeous George
09-29-2009, 05:31 AM
I really believe Yeats will be there. O'brien has no problem with running his stars on unfamiliar surfaces/distances/courses. It would be fabulous to see such a legend in the Breeders Cup.

yeats last race will be the prix du cadran on arc weekend.

gm10
10-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Aaaah ... they've made the race longer!!! I was thinking it was still 12F.

My pick for that race is still Gitano Hernando.

GITANO on his way to the Classic, even!!

Tom
10-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I like Rip Van Winkle quite a bit.
He is my sleeper in the Classic.

:rolleyes:

OTM Al
10-10-2009, 07:14 PM
GITANO on his way to the Classic, even!!

Blew this one bad. Thought Gitano was looking good for this so I did use him on top of my tri with CJ, but keyed CJ over him in the exacta. Parading's fade blew the tri and of course I didn't win bet. Why couldn't I have just boxed the exacta like I wanted to in the first place. Rule #2. Never second guess....

Oh, and this guy will be better at the 1 1/4 miles. Question is, will Fallon still be on him...

gm10
10-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Blew this one bad. Thought Gitano was looking good for this so I did use him on top of my tri with CJ, but keyed CJ over him in the exacta. Parading's fade blew the tri and of course I didn't win bet. Why couldn't I have just boxed the exacta like I wanted to in the first place. Rule #2. Never second guess....

Oh, and this guy will be better at the 1 1/4 miles. Question is, will Fallon still be on him...

I think so ... he'll still have to take what he can get, this season at least

OTM Al
10-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I only wonder because frankly, you just saw a second level stakes horse beat most of the US's best poly horses. Only x factor is still Summer Bird for the home team as he has really matured and has a bit of a turfish look to him now. Therefore I would think that European runners should be coming out of the woodwork for the big prize in the Classic and Fallon may actually have a choice to make.