PDA

View Full Version : Oh my...now it's Kona Gold

joanied
09-25-2009, 05:27 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52700/kona-gold-euthanized?source=rss

I can't beleive this...and this one really hurts:( My heart goes out to his connections and the folks at The Horse Park that were caring for him. He sure gave all race fans nothing but thrills and a lump in one's throat for his courage...what a grand horse he was.

Kona Gold...you were so very special...
RIP

FenceBored
09-25-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52700/kona-gold-euthanized?source=rss

I can't beleive this...and this one really hurts:( My heart goes out to his connections and the folks at The Horse Park that were caring for him. He sure gave all race fans nothing but thrills and a lump in one's throat for his courage...what a grand horse he was.

Kona Gold...you were so very special...
RIP

What a shame. It's been a rough week.

Rest in Peace, Kona.

juanepstein
09-25-2009, 08:21 PM
my favorite horse in the world.

this is just bumming me out.

this horse got me really into horseracing. still get emotional watching his breeders cup win. always was a special horse to me.

FenceBored
09-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Spiral fracture of the left forearm. Must have really twisted the leg hard somehow.

castaway01
09-25-2009, 10:57 PM
The "death comes in threes" cliche is ludricous, but in this case I wish it had been right because I think we're up to at least five well-known horses dead in the past week or two. Kona Gold was a great sprinter---courageous and fun to watch run. RIP.

Java Gold@TFT
09-26-2009, 05:24 AM
I feel like I lost a son today. Way too young.

RIP Kona.

I hope this all stops soon.

joanied
09-26-2009, 09:29 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52700/champion-kona-gold-euthanized?&utm_source=DailyNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20090926

I feel so damned sad over this...it'll be one of those 'horse things' that remain a mystery as to how he injured himself like he did...although, water under the bridge now.
I am at a loss for words...he's going to be missed, and I guess the only consolation is that he spent 2 wonderful years with Da Hoss and was truly loved by all.
Geeze...what a week:(

RIP

Java Gold@TFT
09-26-2009, 09:44 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52700/champion-kona-gold-euthanized?&utm_source=DailyNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20090926

I feel so damned sad over this...it'll be one of those 'horse things' that remain a mystery as to how he injured himself like he did...although, water under the bridge now.
I am at a loss for words...he's going to be missed, and I guess the only consolation is that he spent 2 wonderful years with Da Hoss and was truly loved by all.
Geeze...what a week:(

RIP
The video at the bottom says it all.

joanied
09-26-2009, 10:18 AM
The video at the bottom says it all.

Yes, Java Gold...it does...better than anyone could. I am 'glad' (seems a bad word here) that Headly was there.
:( :( :(

Stevie Belmont
09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Oh wow..

He was one of my favorite horses of all-time

I will never forget when he broke the record in the BC Sprint at Churchill Downs...He gave that race everything he had and more. He threw it all out to stay on and win. Gutsy Gutsy win form a true speedy champion...

Too bad to hear this

46zilzal
09-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Brilliant Speed, gutsy runner

rrpic6
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
When a great race horse is put down, its a sad day. When one that I have seen run live, it makes it a more personal and sad situation. Kona Gold is now on that list, along with Easy Goer and Barbaro.

Kona Gold was special to me. He broke his maiden, as a 4 year old, on my birthday in 1998. I recall singleing him on a pick 6 that day. He won easily, but I missed out on a big payday when I used 5 horses in a 10 horse field and lost. He also ran his last race on my birthday in 2003. 5 great years of racing!

I hope youtube has some of his races there. His style was unique. Alex Solis always had to ride him hard early in his races. I always thought he would have nothing left after these tactics, but he was always so gutsy and game!

I had the pleasure of being at Churchill Downs in 2000 to see him run his career best race. He ran in 5 straight BC sprint races! His opponents in those races were some of the best sprinters of all time IMO.

RR

PS The only sprinter in recent years that comes close to Kona Gold is Fabulous Strike. Too bad he does not like the plastic surface, but I'm still hoping he gives it a shot again at this year's BC.

classhandicapper
09-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Too many of these lately. Kona Gold was such a nice sprinter. :(