PDA

View Full Version : HSH & HTR: The Final Word?

Molock
08-02-2001, 03:16 AM
I've read much about the different handicapping software on this board, but everyone seems to go back to either HTR or HSH. Now, are these really the best products of any that are out there? Or is it simply a bias for Pace on this board? There are dozens of programs from the low end STK to the higher end All-Ways and I was wondering (hoping) that those who've tried them all (or most) can say that indeed these are the two best products on the market. I have tried HTR and like it a lot, though like car insurance and wives, I'm always looking for something better. Granted, I don't have a lot of experience with the higher end programs; did mostly Sartin, All Caps, HTR, STK, tried deciphering Synergism, etc, am intrigued by All-In-One and other "free" TSN programs, but I don't want to spend a mint finding the program that is in reality, the most complete.

So I'd love to hear from people who used the other higher end programs but abandoned them because HSH or HTR were just better (not because they were cheaper - I'll pay if it works). If HSH and HTR are everything most handicappers could want, so be it; I'll bite the bullet and buy HSH or renew my sub to HTR; I just want probably the unrealistic - The Final Word from the Board :-)

Dick Schmidt
08-02-2001, 03:44 AM
Shane,

I use HSH and Synergism 6, have never tried HTR, though I hear it is a very professional program.

A couple of thoughts about your post. HSH is NOT a "pace" program, though it can use race segments. It is a very advanced and unusual way of looking at racing that is currently adding database analysis and artificial intelligence. Second, if you had trouble understanding and using Synergism, which I consider a very stable and easy to use program, I would not recommend HSH, as it is at least an order of magnitude more complex. HSH requires a level of commitment that most players just aren't willing to bring to "playing" the races.

Dick

Slider
08-02-2001, 04:01 AM
I want to clear up a misunderstanding. I read where some people call HSH a pace program or a database program. I own HSH and although pace factors and modules are parts of the whole program it is much more. It is a complete handicapping program. It covers form, speed, pace, class, odds lines, tote boards, wagering methods, workouts, form cycles, jockey ratings, trainer ratings, etc. The basic version is a full handicapping program.
For those who want to play with databases HSH Pro is an add on module that allows us to build up our own database inside HSH. It does not use any outside software like Access. Everything is built into the HSH Pro program. It shows the statistics for impact values and $Net, etc. The Pro version is very new and the beta versions are being released as they are written. The final produce will include artificial intelligence and automated handicapping.
If you have further questions call Dave Schwartz. You can get his phone number from the horsestreet.com website

GR1@HTR
08-02-2001, 06:41 AM
I don't think most people are using either HSH or HTR. It's just that the HTR and HSH users have the biggest mouths (most common posters). And for the record, I am one of the big mouths...

Only one way to find out my friend...and that is to bite the bullet and try it for yourself...

Lefty
08-02-2001, 12:23 PM
Dick and Slider "stole" most of my thoughts even before
I thunk 'em. Tried HTR for 15 days had probs. Ken was
busy at a tournament. I have HSH now, and to be truthful Dave and I have had some "go rounds" and mostly because of my own stubborness and ignorance of
certain computer functions. He has been patient and made himself available when I needed him even during a
time when he was very very busy. Also, my bud Slider has helped me a lot too. I've had a lot of software but
HSH most complete prgm i've ever seen or imagined. And
I know it prob. can do things I haven't even discovered
yet.

GR1@HTR
08-02-2001, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Tried HTR for 15 days had probs.

If I am correct, you tried HSH for 2-3 months and had probs. But the bottom line is that you worked through it. As with any good program, if you stick with it, study it, learn from it, good things will come as they have for lefty and others.

Dave Schwartz
08-02-2001, 05:20 PM
Shane,

The truth is, there is no final word.

A Stradivarius in the hands of a rank amateur is a waste of a tremendous instrument. While a "good violinist" will probably become a better violinist with a better violin, it will not lift him from his present level without a serious commitment to improvement.

I am convinced that, while some software programs are obviously better than others (such as HSH and HTR), the software is nothing but the violin.

Now, some would argue that the violin example is a poor one because the violin is an instrument of art and we purport to discuss science with our program(s). The farther along I get with this stuff, the more I see that science may well blur into art. The creativity may well be in the use of the software as a tool.

(So, I am feeling philosophical today. Can you tell?) <G>

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

JimL
08-02-2001, 06:30 PM
I use All In One, also a fine program. It is a shame that it is no longer supported. The only thing you see at the Cynthia site are contest picks. Ideas are no longer shared.

andicap
08-02-2001, 07:20 PM
Has Cynpub stopped supporting the program? I thought Dick Mitchell was still supporting All in One.

JimL
08-02-2001, 07:44 PM
andicap, Dick Mitchell still supportes the program however when you see sites like HSH and HTR and all the posts about the ways these programs are used it is frustrating for this user to visit my vendors site and see contest picks. The last informative post about All In One was made by Gordon Pine over a year ago. There has been no updates to the program since he left. Sorry for the confusion.

Bob Harris
08-02-2001, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Shane,

The truth is, there is no final word.

A Stradivarius in the hands of a rank amateur is a waste of a tremendous instrument. While a "good violinist" will probably become a better violinist with a better violin, it will not lift him from his present level without a serious commitment to improvement.

I am convinced that, while some software programs are obviously better than others (such as HSH and HTR), the software is nothing but the violin.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Couldn't agree more, Dave. If you're a winner, you can win with any piece of software....if you're not, changing the software ( I personally know people with more than a dozen well known programs on their computers) won't make much of a difference.

One thing about HSH which I do feel would be a help is the ability the program gives the user to develop profitable spot plays and angles...I've always felt that profitable spot plays were the best way to teach people how to win. Not only do they teach a player patience (the best ones just don't come up that often), more time can be spent watching the board and constructing wagers...the 2 most important skills in my opinion.

Topcat
08-03-2001, 04:00 AM
There are any number of programs out there. I have bought many of them over time, All-In One, Contenders, Aodds, HTRF, MPH, Aplus, Neural Nets, The Expert Handicapper, Dark Horse, Top Sires, etc etc.

I would test the programs on win % on top two default selections, as well as ROI. i did this against the same races and days over a couple of months of data. i did have some differences in data because I had to buy data from different sources for the various programs.

There were some surprises. I would discard the programs that didn't do any better than random betting e.g. most of Sartin's stuff

What I did then was take the best of the remaining programs and formed my own betting consensus-. I computed my own odds line and from that I mined for profitable situations. i then took the data into a money mangement spread sheet with live odds and betting parameters etc

It was a profitable way to go but much too time consuming. Reminded me of the days of handicapping a single card for 6-8 hours.

So now my efforts are aimed at turning a profit with a reasonable ROI on my hourly input.

If you don't want to take the plunge on buying a program check out some of those that offer the program free if you download data. Bris or ITS, have several and you don't have to commit to months of data downloads. You may not like computer handicapping.

if you do want to take the plunge i would suggest you check out their web page. Adn if they are offering software for sale and they don't have a web page then shame on them.