PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita Derby ... Who's your pick??

Observer
04-05-2001, 03:45 PM
Just curious...

Whitehos
04-05-2001, 10:41 PM
Your choice is the same as my choice.
Been waiting for you to start a thread on Seabiscut.
You being in publishing would mean more to me than the NY Times or NBC News tonight..
I'm about 1/2 way thru it and I feel its a great literary accomplishment, that happens to be about a horse.
Whitehos.

Observer
04-05-2001, 11:50 PM
Whitehos,

I'm actually thinking Point Given may not win the Santa Anita Derby. Not that I don't think he's the best horse in the field, it's just one of those things. I wouldn't mind seeing him lose here, as long as it's a game loss, sort of like the Breeders' Cup...just as long as he doesn't run up the track. I'd rather see him get a loss out of his system here than in the Kentucky Derby. Don't get me wrong, I want Point Given to win, but think I might be shopping around a little for a possible upset. My main concern is the rail post. I think he'll handle it okay, he's certainly proven he can handle just about anything, and he's certainly proven he's got tactical ability, so I don't doubt that Stevens will be able to work out a good trip somehow. I just think others may be fully cranked for this as Point Given is still in the process of having his screws tightened for the big dance next out!

As for the Seabiscuit book...I haven't bought it yet. I've been hearing wonderful things about it though. But there are two books that I have read over the years and are among my all time favorites ... one is Secretariat: The Making of a Champion written by William Nack and the other is Ruffian: Burning from the Start by Jane Schwartz, which according to Amazon.com is out of print but can be ordered. Both are amazing books and are must reads for anyone who likes to know the stories behind our equine stars.

Whitehos
04-06-2001, 10:40 AM
Seabiscuit is a history of horse racing in America . I read the other 2. This has them both beat by 10 lengths.
When I am done with it I could send it to you either general delivery or to a post office box.