PDA

View Full Version : Who killed this guy? Any takers.......

JustRalph
09-24-2009, 05:03 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,554760,00.html

Feds Probe Hanged Census Worker With 'Fed' Scrawled on Chest
Thursday, September 24, 2009
MANCHESTER, Ky. — When Bill Sparkman told retired trooper Gilbert Acciardo that he was going door-to-door collecting census data in rural Kentucky, the former cop drawing on years of experience warned: "Be careful."

The 51-year-old Sparkman was found hanged from a tree near a Kentucky cemetery and had the word "fed" scrawled on his chest, a law enforcement official said Wednesday, and the FBI is investigating whether he was a victim of anti-government sentiment.

"Even though he was with the Census Bureau, sometimes people can view someone with any government agency as 'the government.' I just was afraid that he might meet the wrong character along the way up there," said Acciardo, who directs an after-school program at an elementary school where Sparkman was a frequent substitute teacher.

The Census Bureau has suspended door-to-door interviews in rural Clay County, where the body was found, until the investigation is complete, an official said.

The law enforcement official, who was not authorized to discuss the case and requested anonymity, did not say what type of instrument was used to write the word on the chest of Sparkman, who was supplementing his income doing Census field work. He was found Sept. 12 in a remote patch of Daniel Boone National Forest and an autopsy report is pending.

much more at the link

PaceAdvantage
09-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Absolutely horrible.

Every once in a while people need to be reminded just how sick and deranged this world can be, if only to make sure you keep your eyes open and your radar up and running.

This story just served that purpose for me...

Has Chris Matthews blamed this death on talk radio yet?

riskman
09-25-2009, 01:16 AM
From the article"
"Manchester Police Chief Jeff Culver, whose agency is not part of the investigation because the death was outside city limits, said the area where Sparkman was found has a history of problems with prescription drug and methamphetamine trading."

Could be the census worker knocked on the door of a drug dealer or came upon some other scenario involving illegal activity and the occupants thought he was a federal agent. Wrong place, at the wrong time.

JustRalph
09-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Since nobody seems to care.......... I will give a hint

The area he was "canvassing" is one the biggest producers of Mary-jane and Crystal Meth in the country. Moonshine stills have long since given way to other forms of indulgence, in the "hollers" of Southeast Ky.

The guy probably saw something he wasn't supposed to see..........

The fact that his computer was still in his car.......is interesting to me.

LottaKash
09-25-2009, 01:54 AM
Since nobody seems to care.......... I will give a hint

The area he was "canvassing" is one the biggest producers of Mary-jane and Crystal Meth in the country. Moonshine stills have long since given way to other forms of indulgence, in the "hollers" of Southeast Ky.

The guy probably saw something he wasn't supposed to see..........

The fact that his computer was still in his car.......is interesting to me.

They must've "figgered him fer a revenooer"....crazy world of theirs...sad...

best,

JustRalph
09-26-2009, 07:07 AM
A.P. is reporting this

BIG CREEK, Ky. — A part-time census worker found hanging in a rural Kentucky cemetery was naked, gagged and had his hands and feet bound with duct tape, said an Ohio man who discovered the body two weeks ago.
Jerry Weaver of Fairfield, Ohio, told The Associated Press on Friday that he was among a group of relatives who discovered the body of 51-year-old Bill Sparkman on Sept. 12.

"The only thing he had on was a pair of socks," Weaver said. "And they had duct-taped his hands, his wrists. He had duct tape over his eyes, and they gagged him with a red rag or something.

"And they even had duct tape around his neck. And they had like his identification tag on his neck.

They had it duct-taped to the side of his neck, on the right side, almost on his right shoulder."

Weaver said he couldn't tell if the tag was a Census Bureau I.D. He said he didn't get close enough to read it.

State police Capt. Lisa Rudzinski would not confirm Weaver's description of the crime scene. Two people briefed on the investigation said various details of Weaver's account matched the details of the crime scene, though both people said they were not informed who found the body. The two spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case.
Both of the people briefed on the investigation said, for instance, that a Census identification badge, which Census workers are instructed to wear when they go on door to door work, was found taped to his head and shoulder area.
Authorities have released very few details on the death. Coroner Jim Trosper has said the word "fed" was written on Sparkman's chest with what was likely a felt-tip pen. Weaver said he was not close enough to see anything written on the body's chest.

ezrabrooks
09-26-2009, 07:38 AM
This doesn't sound like a crime concerning stills, meth labs, etc. If that were the case, this guy would have been buried and heard from no more. Sounds to me like it was more about the individual, or the job he was doing.

I have worked in Eastern KY...and it was one of the few places that I have really felt uncomfortable about going into the rural areas. About two weeks was enough for me.

Ez

GaryG
09-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Last I heard there was more ganja growing in the Daniel Boone Natl Forest than even in NoCal. Some of the groves are savagely booby trapped. I agree with ez though, the growers woudn't make a spectacle of him. Maybe a McVeigh type character.

JustRalph
09-26-2009, 08:30 PM
I think the symbolism is apparent.........

duct taped eyes and a gagged mouth?

I think that was a message.

who knows for sure though.

exactaplayer
09-26-2009, 10:25 PM
I think the symbolism is apparent.........

duct taped eyes and a gagged mouth?

I think that was a message.

who knows for sure though.
Yes

chickenhead
09-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Last I heard there was more ganja growing in the Daniel Boone Natl Forest than even in NoCal.

I'll take that action. ;) Regardless, even in peaceful hippy dippy NorCal, there are hundreds of square miles where you wouldn't want to be wandering around unannounced. But like ez said, his remains woulda been found 8 years from now by some hunters if that had been the case.

Tom
09-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Regardless, even in peaceful hippy dippy NorCal, there are hundreds of square miles where you wouldn't want to be wandering around unannounced.

I thought that was LA?

JustRalph
11-05-2009, 07:24 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091105/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_census_worker_hanged

AP sources: Suicide eyed in Ky. census worker case

By DEVLIN BARRETT and JEFFREY McMURRAY, Associated Press Writers – Thu Nov 5, 3:55 pm ET
WASHINGTON – Investigators probing the death of a Kentucky census worker found hanging from a tree with the word "fed" scrawled on his chest increasingly doubt he was killed because of his government job and are pursuing the possibility he committed suicide, law enforcement officials told The Associated Press.
Two officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case, said no final conclusions have been made in the case. In recent weeks, however, investigators have grown more skeptical that 51-year-old Bill Sparkman died at the hands of someone angry at the federal government.
The officials said investigators continue to look closely at suicide as a possible cause of Sparkman's death for a number of reasons. There were no defensive wounds on Sparkman's body, and while his hands were bound with duct-tape, they were still somewhat mobile, suggesting he could have manipulated the rope, the officials said.

more at the link

rastajenk
11-06-2009, 12:04 PM
That doesn't fit the narrative that Michelle Bachman and Rush LimBeck are responsible for his death.

Hanover1
11-06-2009, 02:58 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091105/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_census_worker_hanged

AP sources: Suicide eyed in Ky. census worker case

By DEVLIN BARRETT and JEFFREY McMURRAY, Associated Press Writers – Thu Nov 5, 3:55 pm ET
WASHINGTON – Investigators probing the death of a Kentucky census worker found hanging from a tree with the word "fed" scrawled on his chest increasingly doubt he was killed because of his government job and are pursuing the possibility he committed suicide, law enforcement officials told The Associated Press.
Two officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case, said no final conclusions have been made in the case. In recent weeks, however, investigators have grown more skeptical that 51-year-old Bill Sparkman died at the hands of someone angry at the federal government.
The officials said investigators continue to look closely at suicide as a possible cause of Sparkman's death for a number of reasons. There were no defensive wounds on Sparkman's body, and while his hands were bound with duct-tape, they were still somewhat mobile, suggesting he could have manipulated the rope, the officials said.

more at the link
So you want me to believe he duct taped his own hands together? Then committed suicide??? Seems alot of work to arrive at death. hmm....Wont fly, Orville........

Hanover1
11-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I'll take that action. ;) Regardless, even in peaceful hippy dippy NorCal, there are hundreds of square miles where you wouldn't want to be wandering around unannounced. But like ez said, his remains woulda been found 8 years from now by some hunters if that had been the case.
Seems the opposite would be likely. Area is known already as a drug producer. Rather than risk continued killings and the hiding of bodies, as nothing is going on, the public display of his killing sends message to keep out? We are all grasping at straws until conclusive evidence of location and manner of death are discussed. Nothing conclusive to indicate that body was/was not on display, as opposed to hanged on sight, wich would in effect negate suicide considering revealed facts, if taken as such.

toetoe
11-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Has Chris Matthews blamed this death on talk radio yet?

No sir, but he is planning to include this story in his upcoming true crime anthology:

The Tingler.

skate
11-06-2009, 04:51 PM
suicide babe

JustRalph
11-24-2009, 02:37 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091124/NEWS0103/311240059/Officials++Census+worker+killed+self

Officials: Census worker killed self
Investigators say BIll Sparkman staged death; acted alone

FRANKFORT - Authorities are saying a Kentucky census worker found hanging from a tree with "fed" scrawled on his chest committed suicide and
staged his death to look like a homicide.

from the link:

The news release says Sparkman had recently taken out two life insurance policies that would not pay out for suicide.

ArlJim78
11-24-2009, 02:41 PM
They've now confirmed (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/crime/story/79420.html)it was suicide. The guy was trying to make it look like murder so his life insurance would pay off.

__________________________________________________ _________
A U.S. Census worker found dead in a secluded Clay County cemetery killed himself but tried to make the death look like a homicide, authorities have concluded.

Bill Sparkman, 51, of London, might have tried to cover the manner of his death to preserve payments under life-insurance polices that he had taken out. The policies wouldn’t pay off if Sparkman committed suicide, state police Capt. Lisa Rudzinski said.

ArlJim78
11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
:lol:

beat me to the punch there Ralph.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Wow. What an incredible act of desparation to get money to whomever the beneficiaries are. What must have been going through his mind, through his work to set all that up as his last act on earth. Quite sad. Importatant to catch fraud, of course, but obviously a desparate situtaion, or at least his mind was desparate despite at the least.

Tom
11-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Sounds like Law and Order is doing this story Friday night.