PDA

View Full Version : PENNSYLVANIAS DRUG TESTING MYSTERY

andymays
09-23-2009, 08:30 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/pennsylvanias-drug-testing-mystery/

Excerpt:

Three years ago it was a rash of positive tests for the Class 1 drug aminorex that had regulators and horsemen in Pennsylvania and several other jurisdictions scratching their collective heads. Today, it’s a Class 2 drug called lobeline that is showing up in trace amounts in dozens of tests at the University of Pennsylvania laboratory, and Pennsylvania horsemen are insisting it’s a case of contamination.

The tests have led to purses being frozen in as many as 30 races, according to Todd Mostoller, executive director of the Pennsylvania Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association. A number of trainers and owners are paying for split samples and hiring attorneys to fight pending charges. Winning horses have had their victories put on hold, and horses that finished second behind first-place finishers that tested positive are considered winners, though their owners haven’t received the applicable purse money.

JimHunter
09-23-2009, 09:27 AM
The other thing that has become the in thing is to put Nicorette patches under the legs as this helps secrete serotonin once the blood pressure is raised (IE when the horse is racing).

The spin from the horseman on lobolene is that it's in "Sore No More" and when used with DMSO, it's showing up as a positive on the blood test.

Horseplayersbet.com
09-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Where there is smoke there is fire.

andymays
09-23-2009, 11:09 AM
The other thing that has become the in thing is to put Nicorette patches under the legs as this helps secrete serotonin once the blood pressure is raised (IE when the horse is racing).

The spin from the horseman on lobolene is that it's in "Sore No More" and when used with DMSO, it's showing up as a positive on the blood test.

Is there a solution to the Drug problems and the testing problems?

How easy is it for someone to take a Trainer out whether it's a disgruntled employee, a rival barn, or an owner looking to make a score?

The Barn areas do not have the tightest security so how do we know who actually gave the Horse something prior to a race (I know it's the Trainers responsibility)?

JimHunter
09-23-2009, 11:42 AM
I think the Lobilene situation is much different than what you are referring to Andy Mays. This is so widespread, there'd have to be a major vendetta. What I know is that some have been using the patches for some time, especially at Mountaineer Park, which should be illegal. With that said, some of the horseman who have come up with positives are trainers I believe are good for the sport and haven't ever had a positive. The flip side to THAT is some of the horseman who have Lobilene positives are known cheaters. It is an interesting case, but from what I hear the Commission just wants it to go away and isn't all that interested in fining and banning all the horseman with positives.

I do not believe the findings of Mr. Mostoller in the artcile are ludicrous.

andymays
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I think the Lobilene situation is much different than what you are referring to Andy Mays. This is so widespread, there'd have to be a major vendetta. What I know is that some have been using the patches for some time, especially at Mountaineer Park, which should be illegal. With that said, some of the horseman who have come up with positives are trainers I believe are good for the sport and haven't ever had a positive. The flip side to THAT is some of the horseman who have Lobilene positives are known cheaters. It is an interesting case, but from what I hear the Commission just wants it to go away and isn't all that interested in fining and banning all the horseman with positives.

I do not believe the findings of Mr. Mostoller in the artcile are ludicrous.

Thanks for the information. All I know is that this stuff needs to be put to bed like yesterday and nobody seems to have a solution.

Judge Gallivan
09-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Drug positives in Philly Park? I'm shocked!!!! It simply must be contamination.

castaway01
09-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the information. All I know is that this stuff needs to be put to bed like yesterday and nobody seems to have a solution.

Andy, no offense, as I think you're well-meaning, but there would have to be about 30 different complicated conspiracies to take out 30 different trainers to explain the BS that goes on at Philly Park. I know you're a Cali guy and you may not know the situation there, but you're heading in the wrong direction with your conspiracy theory.

andymays
09-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Andy, no offense, as I think you're well-meaning, but there would have to be about 30 different complicated conspiracies to take out 30 different trainers to explain the BS that goes on at Philly Park. I know you're a Cali guy and you may not know the situation there, but you're heading in the wrong direction with your conspiracy theory.

Castaway, no offense, as I think you're well-meaning, but what are you talking about? What conspiracy? And I'm referring to all Tracks not exclusively Philly Park.

Is it possible for someone other than the Trainer to give a banned substance to a Horse in the barn area or isn't it? If it is possible then security in the barn area needs to be stepped up. That's all!

I was on the backtetch at Del Mar a few days before it started because a friend of mine had some Horses there. We went from stall to stall and I could have given any Horse any thing I wanted. If I had something on my hand that could have caused a positive it could have transferred when I touched the Horse.

Bottom line is that it's way to easy to ruin someones career if you really want to.