PDA

View Full Version : Secretariat Statue at Belmont.

tzipi
09-22-2009, 02:28 PM
It's going over four months now and they have not replaced the base containing his great feats and the words of what a great horse he was. I mean I don't know if they ordered one or if it's on the way or what have you but that should've been a priority. Its the focal point of Belmonts paddock and in a way,the track.
Hopefully it's back up soon. The wood box looks so bad.

Just incase some people don't know. A horse ran into the base of the statue and broke it back in May. Horse was put down. Freak accident. Was actually there and it sounded like lightning hit the track because the statue is so heavy. Shame.

joanied
09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
It's going over four months now and they have not replaced the base containing his great feats and the words of what a great horse he was. I mean I don't know if they ordered one or if it's on the way or what have you but that should've been a priority. Its the focal point of Belmonts paddock and in a way,the track.
Hopefully it's back up soon. The wood box looks so bad.

Just incase some people don't know. A horse ran into the base of the statue and broke it back in May. Horse was put down. Freak accident. Was actually there and it sounded like lightning hit the track because the statue is so heavy. Shame.

Holymoly...I had no idea that his statue was in dis repair...and you are right...fixing the base should be a priority...I wonder if Penny Tweedy knows about this?
I remember them putting that statue there, and I have several photos of it... I never heard a word about this accident...what was the base made of that a loose horse could break it? This is crazy.

tzipi
09-22-2009, 03:57 PM
It's made of marble. Well the horse got loose and ran down the tunnel straight into it and knocked the whole thing over(loudest sound). Secretariat part was fine,just the marble base broke and now it's just a wooden box Secretariat stands on.

Yeah hopefully it's up soon. It's been way to long.

ghostyapper
09-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm sure the reasoning around here will be nyra wanted to repair the stand and make it even better than it was but got blocked by state politicians.

joanied
09-22-2009, 04:43 PM
It's made of marble. Well the horse got loose and ran down the tunnel straight into it and knocked the whole thing over(loudest sound). Secretariat part was fine,just the marble base broke and now it's just a wooden box Secretariat stands on.

Yeah hopefully it's up soon. It's been way to long.

That's what I thought it was made of...marble. I walked through that tunnel a million times when I was at Belmont...never saw a horse get loose under there, but I suppose even though you are actually going uphill coming out of it, a horse could build up enough momentum to knock down that marble base...but, myGod, what a mess it must have been...was this during the races? I suppose hundreds of folks, including you, got to see that horror...geeze.

PaceAdvantage
09-23-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm sure the reasoning around here will be nyra wanted to repair the stand and make it even better than it was but got blocked by state politicians.As if this is out of the realm of possibility...:lol:

domino1891
09-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Holymoly...I had no idea that his statue was in dis repair...and you are right...fixing the base should be a priority...I wonder if Penny Tweedy knows about this?
I remember them putting that statue there, and I have several photos of it... I never heard a word about this accident...what was the base made of that a loose horse could break it? This is crazy.

before http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3349/3606998227_d52f9c02cb.jpg

after http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3352/3606999709_ee064da2bb.jpg

here's a story: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown09/blog?post=4217913

Bruddah
09-23-2009, 11:22 AM
before http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3349/3606998227_d52f9c02cb.jpg

after http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3352/3606999709_ee064da2bb.jpg

here's a story: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown09/blog?post=4217913

Thanks for the picture links.

Admittedly, I don't play NYRA tracks, but I do respect the History created by the top racing establishments of the U.S.A.. At least 3 New York tracks are at the top of that list.

Looks as if the box was a cheap feeble attempt at a permanent fix. (I hope not) NYRA, please replace this beautiful part of racing History or at least upgrade the box to something more fitting. (JMHO)

senortout
09-23-2009, 11:30 AM
hmmmmm....couple of things come to mind!

1) Maybe the authorities are mulling over removing the statue to a safer place....safer for the live animals that is!

2)It doesn't look that bad

3)It even looks somehow as though it was now a sort of memorial to the unfortunate animal who ran into it an was killed

people, stop and think

senortout

the little guy
09-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Looks as if the box was a cheap feeble attempt at a permanent fix. (I hope not). (JMHO)

And people wonder.........

senortout
09-23-2009, 11:34 AM
If nothing else, it will be a memorial to City on Line as well.

above a direct quote, (last line from Jay's article)

joanied
09-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the photos and the story links...

I feel horrible for City Line and that it was Allen's horse...but, IMveryHO...the wood stand sucks...to me it looks like a casket, not a bronze statue stand...nope, sorry, but the marble base nees to come back.
Maybe they could put a small plauque there in respect to City Line...but, let's face it, Secretariat is an Immortal in this sport, and his 'place' at Belmont needs to remain as it was...for all time!!

PS...Guess they could move it someplace else in the paddock...maybe!

46zilzal
09-23-2009, 12:50 PM
As an aside, great stallions are usually buried as heart head and hooves, but Big Red was buried in a full casket in a special place across a sidewalk from the others in the Claiborne graveyard.

joanied
09-23-2009, 12:54 PM
As an aside, great stallions are usually buried as heart head and hooves, but Big Red was buried in a full casket in a special place across a sidewalk from the others in the Claiborne graveyard.

Actualy, they changed that 'format' years ago...they are all buried complete now.

tucker6
09-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Actualy, they changed that 'format' years ago...they are all buried complete now.
they are?? I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.

joanied
09-23-2009, 01:09 PM
they are?? I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.

How 'bout that;) :)

Bruddah
09-23-2009, 01:40 PM
And people wonder.........

I'm not sure about the under lying meaning or thought of your post little guy. Would you care to expound on your comment?

joanied
09-23-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.secretariat.com/BourbonCountyFestival2009.htm

Maybe some of you that live close by would be interested to attend this event...should be a great day and lots of fun looking at the horses that are 'competeing' to be in the movie...
and get to meet Bobby Ussery...man, I bet just about everything he rode back in the day...Ussery's Alley...wow...those were the days!!!

:jump:

46zilzal
09-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Not actually. AS IF THERE WAS SOME UNIVERSAL RULE......

joanied
09-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Not actually. AS IF THERE WAS SOME UNIVERSAL RULE......

Oh, Zil...whatever:faint:

Java Gold@TFT
09-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh, Zil...whatever:faint:
Leave him alone. As cj likes to point out, he is a Soveriegn Award voter so he must know what he is talking about.

46zilzal
09-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Leave him alone. As cj likes to point out, he is a Soveriegn Award voter so he must know what he is talking about.
No, he visits a lot of breeding farms and learns FIRST HAND what goes on there.

First hand not the mythical reality of a computer database.

FenceBored
09-23-2009, 05:11 PM

:eek: :faint::lol:

Please, for the love of everything you hold dear, do NOT float a pitch out there like that.

joanied
09-23-2009, 07:02 PM

:lol: indeed

PaceAdvantage
09-23-2009, 10:48 PM
And people wonder.........My thought exactly...

PaceAdvantage
09-23-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure about the under lying meaning or thought of your post little guy. Would you care to expound on your comment?It's been pointed out numerous times on this website (in fact, it was also clearly explained in the article link from domino1891, a post you actually quoted) that the stand the statue currently sits on is temporary.

In fact, here is a quote from the article link:

Track officials say they hope to have a temporary stand in place by Belmont Stakes day, so that Secretariat's likeness can lord over the walking ring once more, and then eventually install a permanent pedestal. If nothing else, it will be a memorial to City on Line as well.Yet you wrote the following as a direct response to that article link:Looks as if the box was a cheap feeble attempt at a permanent fix. (I hope not) This is why TLG responded as he did...I hope this clears things up.

Grits
09-24-2009, 10:15 AM

Zilly, visiting breeding farms, first hand, particularly Claiborne, should allow you to recall, as some of us do . . . Secretariat's grave is not set apart in any way from the other great Claiborne stallions. He's in the graveyard with the rest of them, just to the left and the rear of the office.

All of the stallions are buried there with the exception of those of many, many years ago who are buried further back on the farm in the Marchmont cemetary. An area I've never seen.

This is one of those mythical reality computer generated links, still I wanted you to have it.

Secretariat's headstone is just behind Mr.Prospector's. I imagine Danzig is with there now as well, his burial coming after these photos were taken.

http://www.tbheritage.com/TurfHallmarks/Graves/cem/GraveMattersClaiborne.html

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=1606&PIpi=380062

I recall too, an afternoon at another of the large breeding farms, the biggest box of ashes I've ever seen. It was sitting, open, in the corner of an empty stall. The farm's owner and the farm manager had not decided where to bury them.

Every farm is different, some stallions, obviously, are cremated, then lie in wait--sometimes for months before decisions are made. I found that sorta sad for an animal that, not only had a fine career on the racetrack, but too, had made that farm a handsome sum in the breeding shed.

Don't ask me who the stallion was, or the farm, it would be unfortunate for the farm--for me to state either.

Bruddah
09-24-2009, 10:56 AM
It's been pointed out numerous times on this website (in fact, it was also clearly explained in the article link from domino1891, a post you actually quoted) that the stand the statue currently sits on is temporary.

In fact, here is a quote from the article link:

Yet you wrote the following as a direct response to that article link:This is why TLG responded as he did...I hope this clears things up.

Yes it does. I apologize for reading over it too quickly. Having missed that quote, it caused me to give an honest and accurate opinion of the box. It is cheap and not suitable even as a temporary substitute.

Have I missed the announcement (after many months) of how a permanent base is to replace the cheap box? Seems to me, those plans have been on the drawing board an extended period. And some people wonder. :rolleyes:

joanied
09-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Zilly, visiting breeding farms, first hand, particularly Claiborne, should allow you to recall, as some of us do . . . Secretariat's grave is not set apart in any way from the other great Claiborne stallions. He's in the graveyard with the rest of them, just to the left and the rear of the office.

All of the stallions are buried there with the exception of those of many, many years ago who are buried further back on the farm in the Marchmont cemetary. An area I've never seen.

This is one of those mythical reality computer generated links, still I wanted you to have it.

Secretariat's headstone is just behind Mr.Prospector's. I imagine Danzig is with there now as well, his burial coming after these photos were taken.

http://www.tbheritage.com/TurfHallmarks/Graves/cem/GraveMattersClaiborne.html

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=1606&PIpi=380062

I recall too, an afternoon at another of the large breeding farms, the biggest box of ashes I've ever seen. It was sitting, open, in the corner of an empty stall. The farm's owner and the farm manager had not decided where to bury them.

Every farm is different, some stallions, obviously, are cremated, then lie in wait--sometimes for months before decisions are made. I found that sorta sad for an animal that, not only had a fine career on the racetrack, but too, had made that farm a handsome sum in the breeding shed.

Don't ask me who the stallion was, or the farm, it would be unfortunate for the farm--for me to state either.

Grits...happy you cleared that up:) ...I used the 2nd link because I was curious as to whether or not they have the grave of Foolish Pleasure listed...but that link won't work (at least not for me)...can ya try posting it again?
Thanks.

Grits
09-24-2009, 11:43 AM
The second link is not working for me either Joanie, though, it worked fine earlier. It didn't contain information or a listing of stallions buried as the first link does. It was only a closeup of Secretariat's headstone.

I noticed at Claiborne's site, they've added a timeline of the farm's history. Dell Hancock, I believe, has been responsible for this. When one follows this timeline, getting a look at what their father, "Bull" did for thoroughbred racing, it's clearly astounding. Bill Nack's book contains a great deal of Claiborne history, still I'm glad the timeline has been added. The farm will always be the benchmark of thoroughbred breeding. This man and his family--made--central Kentucky.

http://www.claibornefarm.com/history/

A story, written for Sport's Illustrated (in their vault), back in 1960 when this sport was NEWS, front and center. An interview with Bull Hancock. Its a fine read.

Can you imagine 3 or 4 pages on breeding horses being written today, interviewing Will Farish or Robert Clay?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1071643/index.htm

joanied
09-24-2009, 12:39 PM
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/jd1947/IMG_6878_edited-1.jpg

Thanks, Grits... I did look through the Claiborne timeline, and in reading books, you do conclude that they have been a huge asset within the breeding industry...they were never affraid to try something different...

anyway...here is Foolish Pleasure's Grave...he's buried (all of him:) ) on my friend's ranch here in Wyoming, where he spent his last days in complete contentment...he was a very happy horse and will always be missed.
They were going to put up a large stone & marker, then decided to keep his resting place simple and 'earthy'. This spot he rests in is just above the pasture where his broodmare band was kept...so he can watch over them always. It's tranquil and beautiful and I think the mountains above him are a testament to his presence. I visit often and place one red rose there for his Kentucky Derby win.

the little guy
09-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Yes it does. I apologize for reading over it too quickly. Having missed that quote, it caused me to give an honest and accurate opinion of the box. It is cheap and not suitable even as a temporary substitute.

Have I missed the announcement (after many months) of how a permanent base is to replace the cheap box? Seems to me, those plans have been on the drawing board an extended period. And some people wonder. :rolleyes:

" Accurate " being, of course, the operative word.

Too funny.

46zilzal
09-24-2009, 12:55 PM

Bingo as if there was a rule book about it. Cremation is the best way of getting it done economically.

joanied
09-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Bingo as if there was a rule book about it. Cremation is the best way of getting it done economically.

I suppose you are referring to my post saying that they don't do that anymore (bury head,heart,hooves) and bury horses complete...(or cremate them)...but I never said there was a 'rule' to it, Zil...I said they changed the 'format' (for lack of a better word and not wanting to use 'rule')...they just don't chop off parts anymore to bury a horse.

Grits
09-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Lovely photo Joanie; beautiful resting place.

Java Gold@TFT
09-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Grits and Joanie, please, for the sake of the rest of the forum, stop posting information that shows that Zil's 'facts" may not be correct. He is a long time racing historian and Soveriegn Award voter. It doesn't look good if someone posts factual data that may show his "facts" to merely be opinion.

(I also notice he conveniently responded to Joainie's post but not the Grits post.) :confused:

joanied
09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Grits and Joanie, please, for the sake of the rest of the forum, stop posting information that shows that Zil's 'facts" may not be correct. He is a long time racing historian and Soveriegn Award voter. It doesn't look good if someone posts factual data that may show his "facts" to merely be opinion.

(I also notice he conveniently responded to Joainie's post but not the Grits post.) :confused:

:lol: I would never question Zil's statements:rolleyes:

joanied
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Lovely photo Joanie; beautiful resting place.

Thanks, Grits... I'm glad Foolish is a Hall of Famer, because chances of folks ever seeing his resting place are a million to one...
Sir Barton is also buried in Wyoming...I read somewhere the Kentucky Museum tried to get him back...but the townspeople wouldn't do it...which is a shame, I'd bet 99% of them don't know what the Triple Crown is:eek:

FenceBored
09-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks, Grits... I'm glad Foolish is a Hall of Famer, because chances of folks ever seeing his resting place are a million to one...
Sir Barton is also buried in Wyoming...I read somewhere the Kentucky Museum tried to get him back...but the townspeople wouldn't do it...which is a shame, I'd bet 99% of them don't know what the Triple Crown is:eek:

Now the next big question (KD winners in the Mountain/Plains category) is, did they ever firmly locate Omaha's grave when they demolished Ark-sar-ben?

Bruddah
09-24-2009, 06:34 PM
" Accurate " being, of course, the operative word.

Too funny.

Nothing like a Historic Racing venue exhibiting No Class with a varnished shipping crate. "It's temporary", but they have no plans to replace it, anytime soon. I bet Secretariat is turning over in his grave. Now that's too funny little guy. sheeeesh! :lol:

FenceBored
09-24-2009, 07:11 PM
anyway...here is Foolish Pleasure's Grave...he's buried (all of him:) ) on my friend's ranch here in Wyoming, where he spent his last days in complete contentment...he was a very happy horse and will always be missed.
They were going to put up a large stone & marker, then decided to keep his resting place simple and 'earthy'. This spot he rests in is just above the pasture where his broodmare band was kept...so he can watch over them always. It's tranquil and beautiful and I think the mountains above him are a testament to his presence. I visit often and place one red rose there for his Kentucky Derby win.

Thank you for posting the picture. It's a beautiful spot and the stone is the perfect marker.

joanied
09-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Thank you for posting the picture. It's a beautiful spot and the stone is the perfect marker.

You are welcome, Fencebored... Grits kinda gave me the excuse to post it.

Ya know, I think I did read somewhere, something about Omaha's grave...and maybe it wasn't good...like it's under a parking lot or something...but, I am not sure, might be another horse I'm thinking of...should be a way to find out, though.
Maybe I'll do a little 'digging' :) and find out, if I can.

Okie-Dokie...here we go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_(horse)

tucker6
09-24-2009, 07:32 PM
You are welcome, Fencebored... Grits kinda gave me the excuse to post it.

Ya know, I think I did read somewhere, something about Omaha's grave...and maybe it wasn't good...like it's under a parking lot or something...but, I am not sure, might be another horse I'm thinking of...should be a way to find out, though.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=6392590

According to this article, the grave is marked by a sculpture of his likeness near the delapidated grandstand. Even has a map to find the place.

Brooklyn Backstretch
09-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Nothing like a Historic Racing venue exhibiting No Class with a varnished shipping crate. "It's temporary", but they have no plans to replace it, anytime soon. I bet Secretariat is turning over in his grave. Now that's too funny little guy. sheeeesh! :lol:

The marble replacement base was ordered some time ago and has taken longer than anticipated to create. It will likely not be there before the Belmont meet ends.

To say that there are "no plans to replace it" is simply incorrect.

tucker6
09-24-2009, 08:00 PM
The marble replacement base was ordered some time ago and has taken longer than anticipated to create. It will likely not be there before the Belmont meet ends.

To say that there are "no plans to replace it" is simply incorrect.
Brooklyn,

Many of us appreciate that things don't happen overnight. Thanks for the update. Is mention going to be made near or on the memorial to City on Line's accident??

Tom

Brooklyn Backstretch
09-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Brooklyn,

Many of us appreciate that things don't happen overnight. Thanks for the update. Is mention going to be made near or on the memorial to City on Line's accident??

Tom

I don't know. I recently inquired about the replacement base, but didn't have any conversation about what might happen next year.

tucker6
09-24-2009, 08:11 PM
I don't know. I recently inquired about the replacement base, but didn't have any conversation about what might happen next year.
Thanks for the reply. It would be a nice touch to have a small marker nearby noting City on Line's fate.

Tom

FenceBored
09-24-2009, 09:15 PM

Okie-Dokie...here we go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_(horse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_%28horse))

Yeah, I've read that, but it seems a little trite and doesn't jibe with other articles I've seen like this one from the Thoroughbred Times from 2005.

There is little mystery regarding Omaha and the general location of his remains: They are somewhere at the old Ak-Sar-Ben racetrack site. But the exact location of the remains has Nebraska racing historians digging for clues.

The 1935 Triple Crown winner was buried in the Nebraska city that shares his name on the site of the former Ak-Sar-Ben racetrack. The trouble is, no one can find him, but that does not deter Tim Schmad from insisting Omaha is there.

-- http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/weekly-feature-articles/2005/September/03/Burial-site-of-Triple-Crown-winner-Omaha-shrouded-in-mystery.aspx

It's just kind of disheartening to think that the track management didn't keep track of his grave.

tucker6
09-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I've read that, but it seems a little trite and doesn't jibe with other articles I've seen like this one from the Thoroughbred Times from 2005.

There is little mystery regarding Omaha and the general location of his remains: They are somewhere at the old Ak-Sar-Ben racetrack site. But the exact location of the remains has Nebraska racing historians digging for clues.

The 1935 Triple Crown winner was buried in the Nebraska city that shares his name on the site of the former Ak-Sar-Ben racetrack. The trouble is, no one can find him, but that does not deter Tim Schmad from insisting Omaha is there.

-- http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/weekly-feature-articles/2005/September/03/Burial-site-of-Triple-Crown-winner-Omaha-shrouded-in-mystery.aspx

It's just kind of disheartening to think that the track management didn't keep track of his grave.see post 43

PaceAdvantage
09-25-2009, 03:55 AM
Nothing like a Historic Racing venue exhibiting No Class with a varnished shipping crate. "It's temporary", but they have no plans to replace it, anytime soon.What are you talking about? Where do you get your information?

They have no plans to replace it, anytime soon? Didn't we just go through all of this?

Since you seem to be an expert on the matter, why don't you tell us the exact measurement, composition and weight of the former Secretariat statue base, and then tell us how long it SHOULD take to order, manufacture, engrave and ship a replacement.

Then we can see exactly how far behind schedule they are....

Something tells me a slab of marble that size (assuming it's solid marble...then again, I have no clue, but then again, I'm not out here theorizing there are no plans to replace it anytime soon) isn't something you'll be able to replace with a mere snap of the fingers.

Java Gold@TFT
09-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Maybe he would have been happier if they just permanently removed the statue or at least put it in a storage shed somewhere. It's part of Belmont. I would hate going there and not having that statue in the paddock just because they had to wait a little while for a new base to be built.

FenceBored
09-25-2009, 08:18 AM
see post 43

I saw it, but I had to choose who's reply to attach to, is all. The Thoroughbred Times article makes clear, that at least in 2005, the whereabouts of the remains were unknown. The find a grave site talks about "the rundown grandstand," but the grandstand was torn down in 2004 (http://ak-sar-ben.com/akgrand.htm).

I remember seeing an article from the Omaha newspaper, when I was looking into this last year, that speculated that the workmen during the mid-70's clubhouse expansion didn't know the grave was there and removed his remains at that time. The article, I believe, was from the time of the grandstand/clubhouse demolition when it was realized he wasn't where people had thought he was.

ghostyapper
09-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Something tells me a slab of marble that size (assuming it's solid marble...then again, I have no clue, but then again, I'm not out here theorizing there are no plans to replace it anytime soon) isn't something you'll be able to replace with a mere snap of the fingers.

So which is it? Is it the fault of the company they've ordered the replacement from or is it the state for blocking funds for the new stand?

joanied
09-25-2009, 11:52 AM
I think Brooklyn (Love it) has already answered the questions and put to rest whether or not the marble base will be replaced. I'm not sure what the timeline has been...but in knowing something about sculptures and working with marble...it can take a while.
I think we have been assured that the marble base is forth coming...and, IMO, that's good enough.
:)

Bruddah
09-25-2009, 01:10 PM
What are you talking about? Where do you get your information?

They have no plans to replace it, anytime soon? Didn't we just go through all of this?

Since you seem to be an expert on the matter, why don't you tell us the exact measurement, composition and weight of the former Secretariat statue base, and then tell us how long it SHOULD take to order, manufacture, engrave and ship a replacement.

Then we can see exactly how far behind schedule they are....

You seem to be the expert on all things marble. Let's just see how long it takes to replace the base. Until then, the varnished shipping crate is UGLY and low class (TRUTH). Whoever approved it, as a replacement for any length of time, should be questioned as to their judgment. Belmont and Secretariat are Racing History Icons and both deserve to be represented in a "Classier" manor. Whether temporarily or permanently. (4+ months and counting)

Pure speculation on my part, but if the real truth was to be known, it's probably a question (squabble) over who's going to pay for it, New York state or the NYRA. Appropriation of emergency funds are a problem for these special situations. Not just in New York state, but everywhere in todays economic climate. So you and the little guy need to get off your defensive high horses. I have only besmirched the decision to use an Ugly A$$ wooden shipping crate and not your state or track.

FenceBored
09-25-2009, 01:17 PM
You seem to be the expert on all things marble. Let's just see how long it takes to replace the base. Until then, the varnished shipping crate is UGLY and low class (TRUTH). Whoever approved it, as a replacement for any length of time, should be questioned as to their judgment. Belmont and Secretariat are Racing History Icons and both deserve to be represented in a "Classier" manor. Whether temporarily or permanently. (4+ months and counting)

The wood base is attractive and classy, not as good as the marble, but a worthy substitute while waiting for the replacement marble.

Bruddah
09-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Maybe he would have been happier if they just permanently removed the statue or at least put it in a storage shed somewhere. It's part of Belmont. I would hate going there and not having that statue in the paddock just because they had to wait a little while for a new base to be built.

Yeahhh! that's the ticket. They could turn over the wooden shipping crate and store the statue in it. :lol:

Bruddah
09-25-2009, 01:20 PM
The wood base is attractive and classy, not as good as the marble, but a worthy substitute while waiting for the replacement marble.
Fence, I don't think you need to apply for any Interior Decorator license. Could be a longtime between clients. :lol:

joanied
09-25-2009, 01:37 PM

Pure speculation on my part, but if the real truth was to be known, it's probably a question (squabble) over who's going to pay for it, New York state or the NYRA. Appropriation of emergency funds are a problem for these special situations. Not just in New York state, but everywhere in todays economic climate. So you and the little guy need to get off your defensive high horses. I have only besmirched the decision to use an Ugly A$$ wooden shipping crate and not your state or track.

Hey,hey,hey...PA never said he knew a thing about marble...in fact, stated he really hasn't a clue:

"Something tells me a slab of marble that size (assuming it's solid marble...then again, I have no clue, but then again, I'm not out here theorizing there are no plans to replace it anytime soon) isn't something you'll be able to replace with a mere snap of the fingers."

Geeze...arguing about this is really kinda silly...none of us knows anything, or at least, not much about this marble base...or what it's costing to replace it...or where the $$ will come from to pay it...
we can sure give our opinions about what we think of it's temperary replacment (I said it looks like a casket:D ...although, I pretty one:D )...but why bitch & moan about something we don't know about.
It's going to be replaced...end of story, IMO:faint:

FenceBored
09-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Fence, I don't think you need to apply for any Interior Decorator license. Could be a longtime between clients. :lol:

:lol: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :lol:

ghostyapper
09-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Having seen the wood stand for the first time today, I was surpised to say the least. Some made it sound like it was a ply wood box put together with duck tape. It's a classy stand and if they left it their permanently I wouldn't have a problem with it (assuming they add a darker polish).

There are far more eye sores at belmont that need to be improved over that stand.

SecretSquirrel
09-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Having seen the wood stand for the first time today, I was surpised to say the least. Some made it sound like it was a ply wood box put together with duck tape. It's a classy stand and if they left it their permanently I wouldn't have a problem with it (assuming they add a darker polish).

There are far more eye sores at belmont that need to be improved over that stand.

Well said, if you want to attract young people to the sport they need to update these venues. I just got back from watching a little football at the Dallas Cowboys new stadium and I am going back for the Chargers game and all I can say is wow. Let's bring some of these tracks out of the 1950's and into current times. Slot money has to start dragging these guys into the 21st Century.

Grits
09-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Well said, if you want to attract young people to the sport they need to update these venues. I just got back from watching a little football at the Dallas Cowboys new stadium and I am going back for the Chargers game and all I can say is wow. Let's bring some of these tracks out of the 1950's and into current times. Slot money has to start dragging these guys into the 21st Century.

Ssquirrel, you just indicated exactly how little you really know about the sport of horseracing. Your thoughts on Secretariat raised questions, but for me--this one pretty much seals it.

SecretSquirrel
09-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Ssquirrel, you just indicated exactly how little you really know about the sport of horseracing. Your thoughts on Secretariat raised questions, but for me--this one pretty much seals it.

I have only been going to tracks around the country since 1969. What do I know? I have been watching tracks around the country decay since the late 1970's Calder, Hialeah, Santa Anita, Riverdowns and Thistledowns still have markings on the wall I left there in the 1970's !!! You would think a fresh coat of paint would have done them in but.... nope !

You know nothing about me yet you want to tell me how little I know about horse racing. Pick a fight with someone else I am not interested.

Grits
09-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Neither am I.

My observation regarding slots was an extremely simple one--that 99% of horseplayers and racing fans know to be bogus in regard to saving this game.

SecretSquirrel
09-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Neither am I.

My observation regarding slots was an extremely simple one--that 99% of horseplayers and racing fans know to be bogus in regard to saving this game.

It may not save the game but it should delay its end a by a few decades. So that counts for something in my eyes. I try to look at the glass half full not half empty.

tucker6
09-26-2009, 10:22 PM
It may not save the game but it should delay its end a by a few decades. So that counts for something in my eyes. I try to look at the glass half full not half empty.
Grits is right. Your horse racing knowledge is tied to google and wikipedia. At first I scratched my head trying to understand the myriad of inconsistent statements you were making. Their is no context to what you write, and it then dawned on me that you are superficially attached to the sport. Please find another hobby and irritate those people instead. Anyone who is so steadfastly married to their opinions isn't worth having a conversation with. You're one of them.

... and no, this does not mean I believe you've been in the "game" since 1969. Try to trick someone else with that story.

SecretSquirrel
09-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Grits is right. Your horse racing knowledge is tied to google and wikipedia. At first I scratched my head trying to understand the myriad of inconsistent statements you were making. Their is no context to what you write, and it then dawned on me that you are superficially attached to the sport. Please find another hobby and irritate those people instead. Anyone who is so steadfastly married to their opinions isn't worth having a conversation with. You're one of them.

... and no, this does not mean I believe you've been in the "game" since 1969. Try to trick someone else with that story.

I did not realize I was talking with such experts. Come Breeders Cup day please share with all of us your wisdom and expertise. Sounds like you too have a negative look at racing. Spending 11 summers in the 70's and 80's in Florida down the street from Gulfstream, Hialeah, and Calder. I have forgotten more about handicapping than you will ever know. If you would ever like to take it to a test let me know.

The two of you seem to enjoy picking on the new kid. Fine with me but please spare me the patronizing thoughts. Anyone who dares to say Secretariat is not the greatest must know nothing right. Funny.

SecretSquirrel
09-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Neither am I.

Hoosier Park Racing & Casino

4500 Dan Patch Circle
Anderson, Indiana 46013

(800) 526-7223
(765) 642-7223

Here is the number to Hoosier Park. Give them a call and ask them if the 2000 slot machines have been any help to the park. If Ohio was not getting them racing in the State would end in 2011. But what do I know. I have the number to a few officials from Churchill Downs that are begging to get slots too but I am sure they don't know what they are doing too. :lol:

Java Gold@TFT
09-27-2009, 07:29 AM
If Ohio was not getting them racing in the State would end in 2011. But what do I know.
Obviously you don't know to use a ? at the end of a question and you haven't paid enough attention to know that Ohio is not getting slots in time to save any 2011 racing. The governor's proposed executive order was shot down by the state's highest court which said it had to be put to a vote during the 2010 elections. The voters in Ohio have voted down slots 4 times in recent years and there is nothing to indicate they have changed their minds.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200909210685

So, if you are indeed in the know then your prediction that Ohio will have no racing in 2011 without slots will probably come true. In the mean time Penn, Ind and Mary are all looking at diverting slot revenues away from racing and putting the money into their general funds instead. So much for slots as saviours.

SecretSquirrel
09-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Obviously you don't know to use a ? at the end of a question and you haven't paid enough attention to know that Ohio is not getting slots in time to save any 2011 racing. The governor's proposed executive order was shot down by the state's highest court which said it had to be put to a vote during the 2010 elections. The voters in Ohio have voted down slots 4 times in recent years and there is nothing to indicate they have changed their minds.

So, if you are indeed in the know then your prediction that Ohio will have no racing in 2011 without slots will probably come true. In the mean time Penn, Ind and Mary are all looking at diverting slot revenues away from racing and putting the money into their general funds instead. So much for slots as saviours.

All I can say is you should have seen Waterford Park back in the 1980's. Nothing but broken down claimers ran there and since getting slots in the mid 1990's they have spent millions on improving the facilities and have greatly increased the purses. As you know this year for the first time they held the West Virginia Derby a G2 event now for 750,000.00 dollars that featured the Kentucky Derby winner. Maybe you don't see the progress what is now Moutaineer Race Track and Casino but I promise you if you told people 20 years ago that broken down Waterford Park would hold a G2 750k race with the Kentucky Derby winner you would have been laughed out of town.

So maybe you see nothing good about the slots but the story above should tell you its not all bad and in this case saved a dying track and has helped it prosper.

SecretSquirrel
09-27-2009, 08:18 AM

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i5LkY5WNHXqmfjJcwGNkmzZOeQ1AD9ARSRE81

unlike you I am confident in a recession Ohio can get the vote this time. The courts decision is a delay in my opinion. If not racing will end like I said. So I guess slot machines may AGAIN save racing in a state where 99% of fans like you say it can't. hmmmm.

Java Gold@TFT
09-27-2009, 09:17 AM
All I can say is you should have seen Waterford Park back in the 1980's. Nothing but broken down claimers ran there and since getting slots in the mid 1990's they have spent millions on improving the facilities and have greatly increased the purses. As you know this year for the first time they held the West Virginia Derby a G2 event now for 750,000.00 dollars that featured the Kentucky Derby winner. Maybe you don't see the progress what is now Moutaineer Race Track and Casino but I promise you if you told people 20 years ago that broken down Waterford Park would hold a G2 750k race with the Kentucky Derby winner you would have been laughed out of town.

So maybe you see nothing good about the slots but the story above should tell you its not all bad and in this case saved a dying track and has helped it prosper.
The only reason that the WV Derby got the KY Derby winner was that he was ducking Rachel and Summer Bird in the Haskell. - a bigger purse with G-I status and Chip thought it would be better to avoid seeing horses who had already beaten the Derby winner. So he says that Monmouth is a speed favoring one mile oval and 9F wouldn't be best for MTB under those conditions. Then he takes him to a one mile speed favoring oval at 9F where his biggest competition is supposed to come from a sprinter in Big Drama. Yep, I'm sure that slot money had something to do with it. Lesser purse and lower graded race with no history of having any Champion run there. And BTW the owner and trainer also got an appearence fee. Maybe you could google the track attendence and handle that day and compare it to Monmouth that doesn't have slots and has to fight to get anything from Atlantic City betting and had atrocious weather that day.

Java Gold@TFT
09-27-2009, 09:21 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i5LkY5WNHXqmfjJcwGNkmzZOeQ1AD9ARSRE81

unlike you I am confident in a recession Ohio can get the vote this time. The courts decision is a delay in my opinion. If not racing will end like I said. So I guess slot machines may AGAIN save racing in a state where 99% of fans like you say it can't. hmmmm.
I love it when you can't admit being wrong about something. You were the one who said that Ohio would have slots this year and without them that racing would be dead in Ohio in 2011. Now faced with the actual fact that Ohio will not have slots in 2011 you conveniently change course to say that you have a belief in Ohio voters to change their minds. The only reason that the slot thing was an exectutive order was that they couldn't get a bill through their house to authorize it. It would have been a death sentence to a lot of state reps to vote for it when it has been continually voted down by the same people that elected them in the first place.

SecretSquirrel
09-27-2009, 09:37 AM
The only reason that the WV Derby got the KY Derby winner was that he was ducking Rachel and Summer Bird in the Haskell. - a bigger purse with G-I status and Chip thought it would be better to avoid seeing horses who had already beaten the Derby winner. So he says that Monmouth is a speed favoring one mile oval and 9F wouldn't be best for MTB under those conditions. Then he takes him to a one mile speed favoring oval at 9F where his biggest competition is supposed to come from a sprinter in Big Drama. Yep, I'm sure that slot money had something to do with it. Lesser purse and lower graded race with no history of having any Champion run there. And BTW the owner and trainer also got an appearence fee. Maybe you could google the track attendence and handle that day and compare it to Monmouth that doesn't have slots and has to fight to get anything from Atlantic City betting and had atrocious weather that day.

GRITS decided to run his mouth telling me I knew nothing about racing because I stated slot money needs to drag facilities into the 21 Century.

My point is he has no idea what he is talking about. Slots saved Waterford Park and made it what it is today. In the 1980's the track was like Alum Creek Beach and anyone from Columbus can tell you how bad that is.

Because of slots racing has grown at now Moutaineer Park and this year hosted the Kentucky Derby winner in a G2 event. Something made possible only because of slots.

Here is another facility growing and getting better because of slots. I can't wait to visit when all the improvements are done.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/courier_times/courier_times_news_details/article/28/2009/march/06/racetrack-betting-slowing-to-a-trot.html

Grits
09-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Ssquirrel, I'm a she. Not a he. And I'll not enter into any more of your hagglingfests, briefly or otherwise.

In some of your posts, not only do you change course, but you continue to argue points that have been well established--long before you ever chose to hit the submit button on your keyboard.

I could care less if you liked Affirmed over Secretariat. That's your choice. A poorly presented argument, but still your choice. I don't care.

When you claimed that slots are racing's salvation, I spoke up. The detriment that slots have on this sport is well established, their benefit questioned, extensively, in every paper and trade magazine nationwide, not to mention among horseplayers and racing fans. The boys upstairs will stop looking at the oval out back (aka, the blood sucking money pit no one is paying any attention to), and say "hey, what the hell are we propping all that up for, when we could be putting more in our pockets. We can bulldoze the whole deal. The blue hairs'll have more slots and a bigger casino. They ain't interested in claimers or horsemen."

I believe the term coined has been "bandaid."

Arguing with those who believe themselves authorities is tiring to me. Plus, I lose interest . . . . . I have.

SecretSquirrel
09-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Ssquirrel, I'm a she. Not a he. And I'll not enter into any more of your hagglingfests, briefly or otherwise.

In some of your posts, not only do you change course, but you continue to argue points that have been well established--long before you ever chose to hit the submit button on your keyboard.

I could care less if you liked Affirmed over Secretariat. That's your choice. A poorly presented argument, but still your choice. I don't care.

When you claimed that slots are racing's salvation, I spoke up. The detriment that slots have on this sport is well established, their benefit questioned, extensively, in every paper and trade magazine nationwide, not to mention among horseplayers and racing fans. The boys upstairs will stop looking at the oval out back (aka, the blood sucking money pit no one is paying any attention to), and say "hey, what the hell are we propping all that up for, when we could be putting more in our pockets. We can bulldoze the whole deal. The blue hairs'll have more slots and a bigger casino. They ain't interested in claimers or horsemen."

I believe the term coined has been "bandaid."

Arguing with those who believe themselves authorities is tiring to me. Plus, I lose interest . . . . . I have.

Well allow me to school you a bit. See I grew up at racetracks. I have been going since my grandfather first took me to The Little Brown Jug some 40 years ago. I was going to Beulah Park in the early 70's when it pulled in 20,000 people and when I got my license would drive to parks in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York. During summer and winter breaks Calder, Hialeah, and Gulfstream were like 2nd homes. All I said was SLOT MONEY HAS TO START DRAGGING THESE GUYS INTO THE 21st Century. Because of that you decided to tell me you and 99% of racing fans know its a lost cause, and I have confirmed how little I know about racing.

Fact is you know nothing. Take a trip to Mountaineer Race Track and Casino out in the middle OF NO WHERE West Virginia and tell them slots are no fix. They would ALL LAUGH at you and tell you to look around. If you had seen the place 25 years ago and looked at it today you would be shocked and it's all 100% BECAUSE OF SLOTS.

No where did I say it is always the answer or that it is the sports salvation. However, when I made the innocent comment that you deemed made me ignorant to the sport I felt it necessary to let you know YOU are the one who has no idea what you are talking about. Before spouting off again that I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to slots helping the sport many of us love take a trip to Mountaineer Race Track and Casino and then shoot your mouth off.

By the way you may want to take a trip to Philadelphia Park soon after they are done with the 25 MILLION in improvements thanks to slots. I could go into much more detail regarding the marketing of our sport and how ownership has a duty to the sport but to be honest I have no incentive to really discuss anything more with a person like you that would cut into someone without a little background first. Next time you step into it perhaps you should have the facts on your side.

tucker6
09-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Well allow me to school you a bit. See I grew up at racetracks. I have been going since my grandfather first took me to The Little Brown Jug some 40 years ago. I was going to Beulah Park in the early 70's when it pulled in 20,000 people and when I got my license would drive to parks in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York. During summer and winter breaks Calder, Hialeah, and Gulfstream were like 2nd homes. All I said was SLOT MONEY HAS TO START DRAGGING THESE GUYS INTO THE 21st Century. Because of that you decided to tell me you and 99% of racing fans know its a lost cause, and I have confirmed how little I know about racing.

Fact is you know nothing. Take a trip to Mountaineer Race Track and Casino out in the middle OF NO WHERE West Virginia and tell them slots are no fix. They would ALL LAUGH at you and tell you to look around. If you had seen the place 25 years ago and looked at it today you would be shocked and it's all 100% BECAUSE OF SLOTS.

No where did I say it is always the answer or that it is the sports salvation. However, when I made the innocent comment that you deemed made me ignorant to the sport I felt it necessary to let you know YOU are the one who has no idea what you are talking about. Before spouting off again that I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to slots helping the sport many of us love take a trip to Mountaineer Race Track and Casino and then shoot your mouth off.

By the way you may want to take a trip to Philadelphia Park soon after they are done with the 25 MILLION in improvements thanks to slots. I could go into much more detail regarding the marketing of our sport and how ownership has a duty to the sport but to be honest I have no incentive to really discuss anything more with a person like you that would cut into someone without a little background first. Next time you step into it perhaps you should have the facts on your side.
you are a distasteful person, and are officially the first person I have ever put on ignore. Congratulations loser.

SecretSquirrel
09-27-2009, 12:16 PM
you are a distasteful person, and are officially the first person I have ever put on ignore. Congratulations loser.

Lol. Nice, Tucker6 if you can't see I didn't start that exchange than I don't want to converse with you.

hazzardm
09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Briefly back to race track statues, is anyone familiar with the history/reasoning behind Sea Hero in the Saratoga paddock? Several horse have took down both the Derby/Travers.

The Poker Room at Canterbury Park has helped maintain a nice level of midwest racing for our summer meet. Additionally, I think folks that are looking to play some Hold'em are much more likely to play the races compared to a brain dead slot player.

OTM Al
09-28-2009, 02:15 PM
The statues actually belong, I believe, to the racing museum/HoF, so they got it on loan from them. Somebody made a Sea Hero statue, so that's what they got to use I guess. There is also actually antoher copy of the Sec statue in the courtyard at the museum.

Java Gold@TFT
09-28-2009, 03:21 PM
The Sea Hero statue was a donation which was commissioned by Paul Mellon who was a long, long time benefactor of NY racing. Sea Hero was his first Derby winner when he was 84 years old. After he came back to win the Travers he wanted a permanent memory for his horse and got NYRA to agree to put it in the Saratoga paddock. The statue was not paid for in any way by NYRA or NYS other than annual upkeep.

The Racing Museum has a Secretariat statue but also a couple of others including a Seabiscuit near the southeast entrance.

Java Gold@TFT
09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Also, here is a short description of what Mr. Mellon ran in his years at Rokeby. I hate quoting wikipedia but it does show a glimpse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rokeby_Stables

He and Mac Miller also cmapaigned my namesake, Java Gold in 1987. It's just that Sea hero was his Derby winner. He may have a statue of Mill Reef somewhere in England, I don't know.

joanied
09-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Lol. Nice, Tucker6 if you can't see I didn't start that exchange than I don't want to converse with you.

Too:D late...tucker6 beat ya to it by putting you on 'ignore'....kinda like the guy that gets fired, then says, "I quit".

joanied
09-28-2009, 04:49 PM
The Sea Hero statue was a donation which was commissioned by Paul Mellon who was a long, long time benefactor of NY racing. Sea Hero was his first Derby winner when he was 84 years old. After he came back to win the Travers he wanted a permanent memory for his horse and got NYRA to agree to put it in the Saratoga paddock. The statue was not paid for in any way by NYRA or NYS other than annual upkeep.

The Racing Museum has a Secretariat statue but also a couple of others including a Seabiscuit near the southeast entrance.

AWWW...ya beat me to it, JavaG... I was gonna explain it...wasn't that a fantastic Derby win as far as being a sentimental win that everyone could really enjoy...Mr. Mellon was a true gentleman and a huge benefit to the sport...he sure could breed a good one, ala: Java Gold:ThmbUp:
:) :) :)

hazzardm
09-28-2009, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the insight. Had the pleasure to view above statue for the first time this year. What a wonderful meet to experieince.

46zilzal
09-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Great shot from a friend who went there.

joanied
09-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Wonderful photo:)

Stevie Belmont
10-05-2009, 11:10 AM
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/ThoroughbredZone/DSCF6405-1.jpg

pedigreeman
10-07-2009, 04:04 AM
SECRETARIAT by John Russell
To observe Secretariat standing or to watch him move, and especially to watch him race, was a memorable pleasure for anyone so fortunate. It can be reasonably said that there never was an animal that captured the hearts of so many people as did Secretariat. He made the cover or front page of virtually every magazine or newspaper in America, and many abroad. The late Charles Hatton wrote in the 1974 American Racing Manual: “Veteran turf-men, sophisticates of deep experience and broad, informed tastes, pronounced him ‘The Horse of the Century.’ Secretariat appealed to all levels of the sporting society, professional and public alike. His distinction is based on the awareness of the former rather than the idolatry of the latter.”
Hatton, having lived through the year of such greats as Exterminator and Man o’ War, went on to wnte: “Impressions of long standing tend to become fixed and presume a
prescriptive might not to be questioned. But Secretariat is the most capable horse we ever saw and geriatrics defeat any thought of seeing his like again
The splendid chestnut was regal in every bone, muscle and fiber. He justified every superlative that was attributed to him. Standing 16 hands, one and one-half inches when retired at the age of 3, the copper chestnut was a mass of powerful muscle tipping the scales at 1,555 pounds at the beginning of that year, only to be reduced to 1,154 pounds at the end of a strenuous campaign. Two of his final three races were at a mile and a half with the other being a mile and five-eighths, all run within 30 days, which would account for his loss of weight. But his conformation was as faultless as nature would permit; he was the quintessential horse. Massive of hindquarters coupled to a short back, his length of hip and slope of shoulder stood him over a lot of ground. His forearm and gaskin were as powerful as any I have ever seen, with a masculine, handsome head set upon a powerful neck, and a large eye showing equal strength of charaóter. All of this combined to give him a stride with power and rhythm unlike any other animal on earth.
Voted Horse of the Year for each of the two years that he raced, and the first of only two horses ever to be so honored as a 2-year-old, he shattered either track or world records in more than half of his winning races, including all three of the Triple Crown events. Not only did he shorten the time of so many races, he also won by incredible margins with consummate ease. Due to his daunting speed, horsemen everywhere were skeptical of his stamina at the end of his juvenile year, and wondered if, as a 3-year-old, he would stay at longer distances than a mile. Stay he did. As one race-caller succinctly answered the question, he ‘stayed like your mother-in-law
Although retired at the end of his 3-year-old year, as a measure of his dominance over his peers in the Marlborough Cup at one and a quarter miles, he defeated four older champions carrying less weight than he, and set a new world-record time for the distance. But his racing record needs no embellishment here, it is one of the most remarkable in the annals of racing.
Bred by the Meadow Stud of Christopher T. Chenery in Virginia, Secretariat was raced for the account of Meadow Stable, principally owned by Chenery’s daughter, Penny. He was by leading sire and 1957 Horse of the Year, Bold Ruler. His dam, unplaced in her only start, was Princequillo’s daughter, Somethingroyal, who produced three other stakes winners:
Syrian Sea, First Family and Sir Gaylord, the latter the sire of England’s bnlliant Derby winner and progenitor, Sir Ivor.
In an agreement with Ogden Phipps, who owned Bold Ruler at the time, Somethingroyal was bred with a stipulation that she would be covered by this stallion until two foals were produced, one to be owned by Chenery and the other by Phipps. It was decided that by the toss of a coin, the winner should have right of refusal for the first foal. Phipps won the toss but, wishing for a filly, refused the first foal, a colt, which turned out to be Secretanat. When employed by the Phipps family from 1973 through 1978, I had the dubious pleasure of training the next foal from this mating, a filly named The Bride, which was arguably one of the most moderate horses they ever owned.
In another ironic twist of fate, Roger Laurin also was denied the honor of training Secretariat when he accepted the training duties for the Phipps family in 1971, relinquishing the same position with the Meadow Stable, and turning over the yearling Secretanat to his father, Lucian.
Despite these fortunes of racing, the image of Secretariat is indelibly imprinted into the hearts of millions who had the pleasure of being racing enthusiasts at that time, and only the most fortunate will ever see in the next century another to equal or compare with his brilliance.:)

tucker6
10-07-2009, 06:58 AM
SECRETARIAT by John Russell

In an agreement with Ogden Phipps, who owned Bold Ruler at the time, Somethingroyal was bred with a stipulation that she would be covered by this stallion until two foals were produced, one to be owned by Chenery and the other by Phipps. It was decided that by the toss of a coin, the winner should have right of refusal for the first foal. Phipps won the toss but, wishing for a filly, refused the first foal, a colt, which turned out to be Secretanat. When employed by the Phipps family from 1973 through 1978, I had the dubious pleasure of training the next foal from this mating, a filly named The Bride, which was arguably one of the most moderate horses they ever owned.

I'm not sure the above paragraph is entirely correct. The Bride is the older sister of Secretariat as described below, and Phipps did NOT refuse Secretariat. He never had the opportunity to select Big Red. Phipps picked first the first year, and Chenery picked first the second year. Unfortunately for Phipps, the second foal in year two never materialized, and he got nothing, while Chenery got Secretariat:

From Wikipedia (a mistake appears here as well. See if you can spot it)

After his racing career, Bold Ruler was retired to Claiborne Farms but still was controlled by the Phipps family. This meant he would be bred to mainly Phipps' mares and not many of his offspring would find their way to the auction ring. Phipps and Hancock agreed to forgo a stud fee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stud_fee) for Bold Ruler in exchange for getting to keep one of two foals produced by the mare he bred in successive seasons or two mares he bred in the same season. Who obtained which foal or even received first pick would be decided by a flip of a coin.
In 1968, Chenery sent two mares named Hasty Matelda and Somethingroyal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somethingroyal) to Bold Ruler, and in 1969, a colt and filly were the result. In 1969, Hasty Matelda was replaced by Cicada, but she did not conceive. Only one foal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foal) resulted between Bold Ruler and Somethingroyal. As stated in the original agreement, the winner of the coin toss could pick the foal he wanted but could only take one, while the loser would get the other two. Both parties assumed Somethingroyal would deliver a healthy foal in the spring of 1970. The coin toss between Penny Chenery and Ogden Phipps was held in the fall of 1969 in the office of New York Racing Association Chairman Alfred Vanderbilt II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_G._Vanderbilt_II), with Hancock as witness. Phipps won the toss and took the weanling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weanling) filly out of Somethingroyal, leaving Chenery with the colt out of Hasty Matelda and the unborn foal of Somethingroyal.

On March 30, at 12:10 a.m., Somethingroyal foaled a bright red chestnut colt with three white socks and a star with a narrow blaze (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_markings#Facial_markings_2). By the time the colt was a yearling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yearling_(horse)), he was still unnamed. Meadow Stables' secretary, Elizabeth Ham, had submitted 10 names to the Jockey Club, all of which were denied for various reasons. Approval finally came with the 11th submission, a name Ham herself picked from a previous career association, Secretariat.