PDA

View Full Version : Jane Cibelli Rips Florida HBPA for defending Ziade et al?

JimHunter
09-21-2009, 09:19 AM
A buddy told me there was a great article in the print DRF where Jane Cibelli went off on the Florida HBPA for spending time and money to get Zaide and others out of medication positives. Can't find the article online and would like to read it if anyone can find it. I guess her basic premise is "why does the Florida HBPA feel the need to spend time and money to defend people who are repeat offenders."

Would love to read the article.

cj
09-21-2009, 10:02 AM
It was a letter to the editor:

Complaint over ban sounds false note to concerned party

Let me see if I understand correctly Kent Stirling, director of the Florida Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association, in regard to the positive tests for trainers Greg Griffith, Rodolfo Garcia and Alan Benson, as told in the Sept. 11 Calder Notes item "Three trainers appeal suspension."

Had these trainers realized the penalty for administering a banned substance was going to be so harsh they would not have done it. (By the way, the state can prove the medication was given on race day, it seems, which is absolutely forbidden in any racing jurisdiction.) Stirling is complaining that what once was a $300 fine now includes a 60-day suspension. Well, I say, finally the state is doing something.

Mr. Stirling is supposed to represent the horsemen as a whole, and I can assure you the vast majority of us want racing cleaned up. Our great sport is under a dark cloud with some cheats taking shortcuts and trying to get away with running horses on illegal medications, and there is the director of a horsemen's association whining that the testing is more sensitive than it used to be, rather than berating these trainers for taking a shot.

Yes, gentlemen, you took a shot and you got caught. Your only defense is it did take too long for the state to inform you, but if you blatantly break the rules, then you have to be prepared to pay the consequences. Let's face it, this is not even a case of getting a little too close with a daily medication by accident.

Jane Cibelli - Long Branch, N.J.

JimHunter
09-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks.

phatbastard
09-21-2009, 11:06 AM
be interesting to see what Greg Griffith's client George Steinbrenner does with his stock. wonder if he condones it or not

MONEY
09-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I believe that Larry Jones never had a positive until he spoke out about other trainers illegally drugging their horses.

Now Jane Cibelli has spoken out about illegal drug use in horse racing. So, how long will it be before someone tampers with one of her horses and she gets a positive?

money

WinterTriangle
09-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Mr. Stirling is supposed to represent the horsemen as a whole, and I can assure you the vast majority of us want racing cleaned up

They should have taken out an ad, with signatures.

But good for jane. Cibelli strikes me as a real hands-on trainer, who works very hard to get the results she gets.

Imriledup
09-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Jane DID what many others just thought about doing.

proximity
09-22-2009, 01:04 AM
jane cibelli deserves a special eclipse award for that letter. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

castaway01
09-22-2009, 11:20 AM
I believe that Larry Jones never had a positive until he spoke out about other trainers illegally drugging their horses.

Now Jane Cibelli has spoken out about illegal drug use in horse racing. So, how long will it be before someone tampers with one of her horses and she gets a positive?

money

I don't think Larry Jones is a bad guy as far as trainers go, but painting him as some innocent whose horses were tampered with is just about as deep BS as I can handle without replying. Larry is not the worst trainer on the planet as far as cheating but he walks the fine line and has had a ton of horses mysteriously improve---probably hat, oats and water right? So, let's not make silly accusations, unless you're going to name names on who drugged his horses.