PDA

View Full Version : The race card gets played and loses

Valuist
09-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Say what you want about the Cubs. Yes, they haven't won in 100 years. We all know that. But after Milton Bradley leveled unsubstantiated claims of racism against the fans and went on endless tirades, general manager Jim Hendry had had enough; he suspended Bradley for the rest of the season. Its been a bad year for Hendry (with the Bradley signing right at the top of the list) but kudos for this decision. Just don't bring in another cancerous player like 7 teams in 9 years Bradley.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4490125

andymays
09-20-2009, 10:23 PM
The guy has a bunch of talent and a bunch of mental problems.

headhawg
09-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Its been a bad year for Hendry (with the Bradley signing right at the top of the list) but kudos for this decision. Just don't bring in another cancerous player like 7 teams in 9 years Bradley.Bad year? Hendry is Awful with a capital A. Hmmm...let's see. Zambrano, Soriano, Bradley, Fukudome, letting DeRosa and Marquis go, Kevin Gregg... need I go on? With those fat contracts on average-at-best players, the Cubs will be real bad for the next several years. Cubs fans should be screaming for Hendry's head.

At least when Cashman spends a ton of money he gets good players, Carl Pavano notwithstanding.

rrbauer
09-21-2009, 11:28 AM
poh Milton. So much poh-tential. He is still pissed that he didn't get a "thank you" from the fans when he threw the live ball into the stands; and, that Lou keeps batting him down in the lineup; and, that he gets booed when he strikes out. It's tough to live up to all those expectations when you're only making $10 million a year. And, when you model your personality on Mike Tyson's.

GaryG
09-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Just don't bring in another cancerous player like 7 teams in 9 years Bradley.The chemotherapy outfield: Bradley, Sheffield and Mondesi. Bonds is the DH.

Valuist
09-21-2009, 06:41 PM
The chemotherapy outfield: Bradley, Sheffield and Mondesi. Bonds is the DH.

Whatever happened to Mondesi? Fell off the face of the earth. It is any coincidence he disappears out of sight when MLB started testing for steroids?

Maybe Bradley can go to Jimmy Carter for sympathy.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-21-2009, 08:47 PM
The chemotherapy outfield: Bradley, Sheffield and Mondesi. Bonds is the DH.

I hadn't heard about Mondesi, but generally aren't the other three usually DH's? And sometimes, they get to be the Designated Hitter.

Valuist
09-21-2009, 09:20 PM
I hadn't heard about Mondesi, but generally aren't the other three usually DH's? And sometimes, they get to be the Designated Hitter.

Bonds was an excellent outfielder in his prime. Won a number of Gold Gloves. His defense seemed to slip when he got huge.

GaryG
09-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Mondesi was a power hitter and as good an outfielder as you will see. He had an arm like Clemente. He was undermined by his attitute and is now a politician in the DR. One reason I am a Yankee fan is that they usually steer clear of this kind. Then after him they bring in Sheffield.

wisconsin
09-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Bad year? Hendry is Awful with a capital A. Hmmm...let's see. Zambrano, Soriano, Bradley, Fukudome, letting DeRosa and Marquis go, Kevin Gregg... need I go on? With those fat contracts on average-at-best players, the Cubs will be real bad for the next several years. Cubs fans should be screaming for Hendry's head.

At least when Cashman spends a ton of money he gets good players, Carl Pavano notwithstanding.

Hmmm...let's see. Lee for Hee Sop Choi ( I know, Dontrell Willis, 243rd draft pick wallowing in A ball at the time), Ramirez (don't forget Simon and Lofton) for Jose Hernandez. Marquis and his $10 million contract was a no brainer. Derosa, dumb. Gregg? Who else was available. He had the sense not to pay Wood $10 million. Nobody knew Fukudome would not work out. Big money teams were all trying for him. Bradley was a horrible signing. Sorriano was marginal, but his numbers BEFORE he was signed led everyone to think big. he signed Reed Johnson, a guy who was cut from the Blue Jays, and he worked out well when healthy. Edmunds was another great signing last year.

Say what you will, but this team is better than they played. Fact: according to ESPN, when scoring 3 runs or more, the Cubs are something like 60-30. The starting pitching was tremendous. The batters sucked big time, a down year for many. The Cubs scored 2 runs or less 51 times!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Has that ever happened before to anyone? The fact that they will finish second with 11 rookies getting playing time is a miracle. To lay it all on Hendry is folly.

headhawg
09-22-2009, 11:27 PM
To lay it all on Hendry is folly.Your subsequent reply seems to make my case more than yours. They will not be able to dig themselves out of this hole unless they can find another GM dumber than Hendry willing to take head cases with big contracts. Good luck with that. When the Cubs are still "underachievers" for the next three or four years just ask yourself one question -- who signed them?

Valuist
09-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Yes, Hendry has been terrible in the past year. But like Wisconsin said, he's had solid years before that. They still have very strong starting pitching, as well as top level players at the corner infield positions.

Soriano--clearly overpaid and untradeable due to the contract. A repeat of 2009 would be completely unacceptable. Numbers similar to 2007 or 2008 would be decent. He's still overpaid but not much one can do about that.

Soto--came to camp out of shape and has been a complete sophomore bust after an excellent rookie season. I suspect he will be in much better shape next year or he may find himself getting sent back to the minors.

Fukudome---its pretty clear after 2 years that he will hit about .260 with 10-12 HRs and will be steady defensively. 2 more years at $12 mill each so he's obviously overpaid. Historically, Japan power numbers don't translate well here but the batting averages usually do. Not in his case. At least he's not a headache off the field.

Bradley---will never play another game for the Cubs.

2nd Base----Aaron Miles has been a total non-factor. Either hurt or just ineffective. Baker was a low profile pickup and would appear to be one of the few (maybe the only) good pickup by Hendry all year. Fontenot has shown he's a utility player, not a starter.

relief---I don't imagine Kevin Gregg will be back. Not sure why they acquired him in the first place. Marmol seems better suited to close. Marmol is basically unhittable; he sometimes has control problems. Kerry Wood is having a lousy year with Cleveland so letting him go wasn't a mistake.

As long as Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and even Houston are in that division, the Cubs are still likely to be around 90 wins next season.

wisconsin
09-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Your subsequent reply seems to make my case more than yours. They will not be able to dig themselves out of this hole unless they can find another GM dumber than Hendry willing to take head cases with big contracts. Good luck with that. When the Cubs are still "underachievers" for the next three or four years just ask yourself one question -- who signed them?

The Cubs were a run scoring machine last year. This year, injuries have killed them. A new line-up everyday. The head cases you speak of are Bradley. We know now that that was a bad signing, but hey, the guy was coming off of a good season. The other head case is Zambrano. The guy probably needs a shrink, but like I said, the Cubs starting pitching was more than good enough to win the division. 5th best era among starters in the majors. The bats are what has killed this team, and they are not too far off from contending once again next season. You did see that they scored 2 runs or fewer 51 times? The team wins the division twice, and then finishes second, and you are thinking let's clean house? How about shoring up this team. Bradley will be released, and I predict Hendry will also go after a 2nd baseman. The real trouble is that the solid, and coveted players are playing for contending teams. There just is not enough talent to go and get.

The Cubs have underachieved for my 40+ years as a fan. Nothing surprises me anymore.

headhawg
09-23-2009, 12:33 PM
The team wins the division twice, and then finishes second, and you are thinking let's clean house? How about shoring up this team. Bradley will be released, and I predict Hendry will also go after a 2nd baseman. The real trouble is that the solid, and coveted players are playing for contending teams. There just is not enough talent to go and get. As Valuist implied, it's a pretty weak division. Where should they have finished? With this payroll, I would think anything but 1st is a disappointment.

Actually, I hate the Cubs but I was asking a legitimate question when I was wondering why Cubs fans seemed to let Hendry off the hook. There's a lot of money tied up in marginal players; do you think new ownership is going to allow him to spend more? And as I've already mentioned, who is going to want Bradley or Soriano or even Fukudome. Maybe Zambrano, but he reminds me of Wood in one respect. Wood never had more than 14 wins (and had 11 losses that year) but had great stuff. Z has had 18 wins but has the stuff for 20+ much like Wood. But he'll never get there because he's got a fat contract and has no incentive until the year before it's up to be more than a 13-14 game winner. He's disruptive, and frankly has a Bartolo Colon-ish body type which I believe will prevent him from getting enough starts to win 20.

I also think that Lou has lost control of this team (from what little I've been following), or he just doesn't care anymore. Just an opinion, but again, Hendry has to make a decision about a manager as well. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Valuist
09-23-2009, 11:21 PM
I agree the expectations were such that anything other than at least winning the Central is viewed as a major disappointment. The performance was poor, and St. Louis was better than most thought. I agree about Zambrano but I think their starting staff with him, Lilly, Harden, Dempster and Wells is deep enough that he really doesn't need to win more than 15-16 games. They are stuck with the Soriano for 5 more years and Fukudome 2 more. I doubt Bradley will be around; he has 2 more years left.

Its anyone's guess what the new ownership will do. I know the family built T.D. Ameritrade and supposedly are fans. And yes, it appears that Piniella really doesn't care anymore.

Maybe the Cubs should talk to the Sox about a deal. Dye fell off quite a bit this year and is getting up in age. I've heard he won't be back. Bradley won't do the Cubs any good. Maybe Ozzie can handle him.

GaryG
04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Smart move my the Cubbies to dump this guy, but there is always someone else who thinks they can deal with him. He has been with a different team almost every year. Seattle should eat his contract and save themselves a lot of grief.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5079777

Valuist
04-13-2010, 08:49 PM
He's not even that good either. Had a good year in 2008 playing in that very hitter friendly park in Texas. What a cancer.

Robert Goren
04-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Only the Cubs are bigger losers than this guy.

Thomas Roulston
05-05-2010, 09:44 AM
After that Greek dude played the "goat card" back in 1945, nothing else has mattered pertaining to the Cubbies.

Valuist
05-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Only the Cubs are bigger losers than this guy.

Nope the Mariners are. They are on the hook for his contract now.

GaryG
05-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Just left the team for an unknown period of time to deal with emotional issues....likely will be put on the DL

This from teammate Mike Sweeney:
"He's a beautiful man, with a beautiful heart."

If you say so Mike.....:lol:

kenwoodall2
05-06-2010, 01:30 PM
1945! World Series!
I wonder if MILTON BRADLEY thinks blacks have a MONOPOLY on the race card!LOL!
"Amazon.com: My Major League Baseball Edition Monopoly ... Own Major League Baseball and make it YOURS! Introducing the first ever Monopoly game that YOU customize!"
"Ghettopoly: Does it infringe on Monopoly's trademark? | LegalZoom This Monopoly spin-off has created controversy and outrage among African American groups nationwide. In other words, Ghettopoly isn't ... ****Chang**** says his game is intended to create laughter, not offense, by parodying "urban" stereotypes. ...
"