PDA

View Full Version : What Global warming????? !!!!!!!

newtothegame
09-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi-Ho, the Derry-O

By Dana Milbank (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/articles/dana+milbank/)
Friday, September 18, 2009

Let's say you're preparing dinner and you realize with dismay that you don't have any certified organic Tuscan kale. What to do?
Here's how Michelle Obama handled this very predicament Thursday afternoon:

The Secret Service and the D.C. police brought in three dozen vehicles and shut down H Street, Vermont Avenue, two lanes of I Street and an entrance to the McPherson Square Metro station. They swept the area, in front of the Department of Veterans Affairs, with bomb-sniffing dogs and installed magnetometers in the middle of the street, put up barricades to keep pedestrians out, and took positions with binoculars atop trucks. Though the produce stand was only a block or so from the White House, the first lady hopped into her armored limousine and pulled into the market amid the wail of sirens.

Then, and only then, could Obama purchase her leafy greens. "Now it's time to buy some food," she told several hundred people who came to watch. "Let's shop!"

~~the rest~~
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/17/AR2009091703679.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Although I must admit the food sounds awesome...:lol:

HUSKER55
09-18-2009, 11:29 AM
i WONDER what would have happened if she had sent an aid to the store

boxcar
09-18-2009, 12:09 PM
She's probably an attention-deprived woman who can't get what she craves (and, of course, thinks she fully deserves) because hubby is always in the spotlight. So, she gets her ego massaged by rubbing elbows with the plebes.

Boxcar

Valuist
09-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Michelle should make a run for the border. And I'm not talking about getting a tostada or crunchy taco.

JustRalph
09-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Are you suggesting a black woman can't shop for veggies?

Somebody call Jimmy Carter!!!

Show Me the Wire
09-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Speaking of our infamous ex-president, the Hon. Sen. from AZ., John McCain, named Carter the worst president of the Twentieth Century and maybe all time. Way to go Sen. :ThmbUp:

boxcar
09-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Speaking of our infamous ex-president, the Hon. Sen. from AZ., John McCain, named Carter the worst president of the Twentieth Century and maybe all time. Way to go Sen. :ThmbUp:

See that...even McCain can get something right once every other blue moon.

Boxcar

Tom
09-19-2009, 10:31 AM
This from the worst presidential candidate of the twentieth century, maybe all time!

cj's dad
09-19-2009, 10:43 AM
This from the worst presidential candidate of the twentieth century, maybe all time!

I humbly submit for your consideration Mssr's Dukakis and Mc Govern !!

Tom
09-19-2009, 11:14 AM

I should have said republican candidate.

ALL of the dem candidates have been jokes! since Bobby Kennedy. He was that last time the dem party had credibility. It was replaced in 1969 with stupidity.:D Then came Jimmy "The 'roid" Carter.

BlueShoe
09-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Still undecided about this one.The inept peanut farmer certainly deserves to be a finalist,but am still leaning a bit toward FDR as worst Chief Executive of the 20th century.

Tom
09-19-2009, 12:08 PM
FDR did manage a dire war, soat least he has some accomplishments.
Carter has nothing on any front that he did well. He was a complete failure.
The only thing that mattered to most back then was that he was not Nixon.
Parallel that to Obama, who was elected because he was not Bush.

Show Me the Wire
09-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Still undecided about this one.The inept peanut farmer certainly deserves to be a finalist,but am still leaning a bit toward FDR as worst Chief Executive of the 20th century.

Blueshoe I truly believed Jimmy was inept. He presided over peace time rationing of gas, stagflation, out of control interest rates, etc., making him a failure on domestic issues. It seemd he compounded his domestic failures with the most inept foreign affair policies this country ever experienced.

But now I have to re-evaluate his foriegn affairs policies in light of his comments and actions over the most recent years. Seemingly, it is entirely possible Jimmy had a hidden agenda in his outwardly inept policies. As Jimmy now exposed himself as the worst type of racist, an anti-semite, through his acts and words we must evaluate his policies in a different light than just incompetence.

Looking back with this perspective it seems his foreign policy was intentionally designed to begin the downfall of the state of Israel. His, seemingly inept, but in reality cunning policies are coming to fruition now, as evidenced, by Iran's claims that Israel's right to exist is based on mythical claims and that Israel will not exist much longer.

BlueShoe
09-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Often not recalled is that Carter was a Naval officer.He graduated from the Academy and went to sub school.One does not get through Annapolis and be selected for submarine officer training unless you are very bright.Just goes to show that intelligent men often do very dumb things and prove to be incompetent.

ArlJim78
09-19-2009, 02:29 PM
precisely. back when I was young and foolish, I made the same argument about Carter. He must be smart being a naval officer, right? I even volunteered to work for his campaign! can you believe that?

boxcar
09-19-2009, 02:57 PM
precisely. back when I was young and foolish, I made the same argument about Carter. He must be smart being a naval officer, right? I even volunteered to work for his campaign! can you believe that?

What!? :eek: :eek: From now on, you're on my iggy list. :p

Boxcar

mostpost
09-19-2009, 04:25 PM
How can you possibly say that. Anyone who would say that has to be the......... Oh! Wait ....DUKAKIS AND MCGOVERN ...you're right :eek: as candidates....bad :mad: :mad:

mostpost
09-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi-Ho, the Derry-O

By Dana Milbank (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/articles/dana+milbank/)
Friday, September 18, 2009

Let's say you're preparing dinner and you realize with dismay that you don't have any certified organic Tuscan kale. What to do?
Here's how Michelle Obama handled this very predicament Thursday afternoon:

The Secret Service and the D.C. police brought in three dozen vehicles and shut down H Street, Vermont Avenue, two lanes of I Street and an entrance to the McPherson Square Metro station. They swept the area, in front of the Department of Veterans Affairs, with bomb-sniffing dogs and installed magnetometers in the middle of the street, put up barricades to keep pedestrians out, and took positions with binoculars atop trucks. Though the produce stand was only a block or so from the White House, the first lady hopped into her armored limousine and pulled into the market amid the wail of sirens.

Then, and only then, could Obama purchase her leafy greens. "Now it's time to buy some food," she told several hundred people who came to watch. "Let's shop!"

~~the rest~~
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/17/AR2009091703679.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Although I must admit the food sounds awesome...:lol:
It is unbelievable the things you guys post here. The things you fall for.
The streets were not shut down so Michelle Obama could run into the Jewel (Think Winn Dixie or Piggly Wiggly or Albertsons if you're not in the Chicago area) and puchase leafy greens. THERE WAS A FARMERS MARKET SET UP IN DOWNTOWN WASHINGTON. The streets were closed because there were fruit stands and vegetable stands in the street. Mrs. Obama said a few words to get things underway, she shopped for some items along with hundreds of others, and she left.
There probably was a lot of security, but she did not go there just to buy organic Kale. (Whatever that is :confused:)

Tom
09-19-2009, 04:47 PM
How do you know this?

Show Me the Wire
09-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Yes, chicago has farmers' markets and other functions at the Daley Plaza. The ones I attended never had the streets blocked off as the market is held in a very large plaza, and not on the street. The plaza is surrounded by Randolph St., Clark, Dearborn and Washington St.

The streets are not blocked when they light the Christmas tree at the same location.

The streets are usually blocked during chicago Fest around the fourth of July.

But to be fair there are police or streets and sanitation blockers (called horses) physically placed around the plaza itself.

BTW mosty how are the animals?

mostpost
09-19-2009, 04:59 PM
How do you know this?
Look at video posted alongside the story.

Show Me the Wire
09-19-2009, 05:04 PM

This qoute, from the story, seems to prove your position erroneous: "

The first lady had encouraged Freshfarm Markets, the group that runs popular farmers markets in Dupont Circle and elsewhere, to set up near the White House, and she helped get the approvals to shut down Vermont Avenue during rush hour on Thursdays. But the result was quite the opposite of a quaint farmers market. Considering all the logistics, each tomato she purchased had a carbon footprint of several tons." (bolding added for emphasis)

mostpost
09-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Sorry Tom, You need to click on Dana Milbank in Newt's post, then click on "Washington Sketch, Michelle Obama Gets Her Farmers Market" That is where you will find the video>

Show Me the Wire
09-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Mostpost:

Oh you mean she just didn't have the street shut down on a whim that particular day. I see.

Don't you think there is a larger problem with the idea of her having the street closed every Thursday during rush hour so the market could be closer to the Whitehouse?

Was there a problem with its old location(s), except for proximity to the White House?

mostpost
09-19-2009, 05:19 PM
This qoute, from the story, seems to prove your position erroneous: "

The first lady had encouraged Freshfarm Markets, the group that runs popular farmers markets in Dupont Circle and elsewhere, to set up near the White House, and she helped get the approvals to shut down Vermont Avenue during rush hour on Thursdays. But the result was quite the opposite of a quaint farmers market. Considering all the logistics, each tomato she purchased had a carbon footprint of several tons." (bolding added for emphasis)
And comments from several people on the video prove my position quite accurate. Since Market will be there every Thursday afternoon. If it was set up just for the First Lady, your position might have some validity. But, as stated in the article, there are many government workers in the area. Many of them come out of their government offices and walk to the subway or buses.

Valuist
09-19-2009, 05:22 PM
It is unbelievable the things you guys post here. The things you fall for.
The streets were not shut down so Michelle Obama could run into the Jewel (Think Winn Dixie or Piggly Wiggly or Albertsons if you're not in the Chicago area) and puchase leafy greens. THERE WAS A FARMERS MARKET SET UP IN DOWNTOWN WASHINGTON. The streets were closed because there were fruit stands and vegetable stands in the street. Mrs. Obama said a few words to get things underway, she shopped for some items along with hundreds of others, and she left.
There probably was a lot of security, but she did not go there just to buy organic Kale. (Whatever that is :confused:)

"Run into THE Jewel"?

How south side of you. Last time I checked, there was a lot more than one Jewel store.

mostpost
09-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Mostpost:

Oh you mean she just didn't have the street shut down on a whim that particular day. I see.

Don't you think there is a larger problem with the idea of her having the street closed every Thursday during rush hour so the market could be closer to the Whitehouse?

Was there a problem with its old location(s), except for proximity to the White House?
If you go to google maps and google H Street NW & Vermont Avenue then go to street view, you will see there are several large gov. bldgs in the area;
also buildings which may be residences. SO there will be plenty of foot traffic. I can't say what the effects of closing the street(S) are, but I did notice that Vermont Avenue deadends at H St. so youu aren't interfering with through traffic.
I am not certain but I think this is a new market, not a relocated one.

mostpost
09-19-2009, 05:40 PM
"Run into THE Jewel"?

How south side of you. Last time I checked, there was a lot more than one Jewel store.
I don't consider North Riverside, which is primarily along Cermak Road west from Harlem, to be south side. South side to me is Cominsky Park on south and suburbs like Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn etc.
Anyway to us, it was always THE Jewel, or The A&P; but never a THE with Kroger or Dominicks.

Valuist
09-19-2009, 05:45 PM
North Riverside is still south side. Its certainly not north side.

You do realize using "the" before Jewel is as silly as before Dominicks, don't you?

Tom
09-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Sorry Tom, You need to click on Dana Milbank in Newt's post, then click on "Washington Sketch, Michelle Obama Gets Her Farmers Market" That is where you will find the video>

Are you as right on this video as were on the ACORN video, the one they are now THANKING Fox for airing? :lol: