PDA

View Full Version : EMPIRE RACES MEM DAY AT MONMOUTH

WINMANWIN
05-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Empire Maker will be running in the JERSEY stakes On Monday.
Frankel said The weather has been so bad in N.Y. that he
wanted to race him, instead of working him........

Shacopate
05-24-2003, 02:21 PM
But he's got almost 3 full days to change his mind.:mad:

WINMANWIN
05-25-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Shacopate
But he's got almost 3 full days to change his mind.:mad:

Yes indeed, Empire worked on Belmonts turf course today
I believe I heard. No Jersy Derby.........:rolleyes:

Zaf
05-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Empire Maker breezed five-eighths of a mile in 1:02 3-5 over Belmont's turf course instead of the muddy dirt. Empire Maker worked in company with stablemate Midas Eyes.

Jerry Bailey was aboard EM.

ZAFONIC

Kentucky Bred
05-26-2003, 07:59 AM
What I know about training horses you could fit in a thimble but...how does a trainer like Frankel supposedly get a horse ready to run in the NJ Derby and then work the horse, then back out of the race and I guess try to prep him to run in the Belmont Stakes without hurting the horse?

I know things change in racing (as in life) all the time, but a stakes horse must be carefully managed. Frankel is one of the best and was a great claiming trainer in LA long before he got these horses but when you bring the horse up to a stakes race and then back off I think you may have done some damage. It is possible he was not really serious about the NJ Derby, but then why enter?

I think I would have just stayed with the plan to work the horse up to the Belmont and run. If he is a bit short due to 5 weeks off, so be it. But isn't Frankel ("the Rag sheets follower") kind of an expert on stringing a horse out between stakes races?

Kentucky Bred

Shacopate
05-27-2003, 12:08 AM
The way Sir Bobby's mind works is God's own private mystery.