PDA

View Full Version : "Consistent Handicapping Profits" - Found It

QuarterCrack
09-17-2009, 03:56 PM
This is the book Jerry Brown from Thorograph wrote about and talked about a few years back. I know it is very much in demand and a few people here had mentioned in the past about trying to obtain it. (Including myself).

I found someone who is selling this book; according to the listing it is in very good/collectible condition.

Only issue is the pricetag... $2k and it's yours :)

http://www.amazon.com/Consistent-handicapping-profits-E-Donaldson/dp/B0008ALO7K

RichieP
09-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Only issue is the pricetag... $2k and it's yours :)

The $3.99 additional shipping charge might discourage some

:faint:

Tom
09-17-2009, 06:22 PM
The $3.99 additional shipping charge might discourage some
:faint:

That's a deal breaker for me!

Hmmmmph! :mad:

:lol:

098poi
09-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm guessing the book boils down to,

Purchase the book
Read the book
Wait 2+ months
Multiply the purchase price times 1.25
Sell the book!

Everyone's a winner!!

QuarterCrack
09-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah the $3.99 shipping charge made me laugh also :D

Man, $2k for a book is wild. It's funny, I have a book by the same publisher and the same author from way back then called "How to Select Winning Horses" and it's got all the same parallel time charts/ground loss charts/track variant discussion, etc. as this one. On Amazon it goes for between $100 and $200 or so. I suspect mine is just a later revision of the original "Consistent Handicapping Profits", but who knows. I wonder if there is really something special about this original version that warrants $2k, or if it is just the rarity and notoriety.

Dick Schmidt
09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
098poi,

If I owned the book, step 3 would be "photocopy the book many, many times.' The author is dead, the publisher out of business and who would care? Of course, asking for $2000 is different than getting $2000.

Dick

"You know, Gradie, most people seems to think I’m paranoid; crazy. But they never met any Precambrian life forms, have they.."
-Bert Gummer (Tremors)

QuarterCrack
09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey! Here's one for $100!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002HPD2NS/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1253233313&sr=1-2&condition=used

Tape Reader
09-17-2009, 08:58 PM
In a similar vein, I have "rented" similar books like this for the stock market. They came in silver soldered loose leaf binders, that could not be copied. The silver solder was also embossed with the renter's initials.

Some of the books were worth the price.

CBedo
09-17-2009, 09:09 PM
In a similar vein, I have "rented" similar books like this for the stock market. They came in silver soldered loose leaf binders, that could not be copied. The silver solder was also embossed with the renter's initials.

Some of the books were worth the price.How to Trade in Stocks, by Jesse Livermore? I have an original copy that I found at a garage sale. It's not in great shape, but still pretty cool to have.

reckless
09-18-2009, 09:08 PM
How to Trade in Stocks, by Jesse Livermore? I have an original copy that I found at a garage sale. It's not in great shape, but still pretty cool to have.

Is there really a market for the Jesse Livermore book? I have dozens of them but they must be copies reprinted years later. I could be sitting on a fortune and not even know it <s>.

Livermore was a stock market genius of his era who went into the men's room of some fancy Manhattan hotel one afternoon and blew his brains out. I could only surmise that he probably didn't even read his own book about making a fortune in the stock market.

Reminds me of the many gurus and geniuses de jour in the horse racing handicapping author racket.

CBedo
09-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Is there really a market for the Jesse Livermore book? I have dozens of them but they must be copies reprinted years later. I could be sitting on a fortune and not even know it <s>.

Livermore was a stock market genius of his era who went into the men's room of some fancy Manhattan hotel one afternoon and blew his brains out. I could only surmise that he probably didn't even read his own book about making a fortune in the stock market.

Reminds me of the many gurus and geniuses de jour in the horse racing handicapping author racket.I think a first edition is worth something, but I could be wrong. I always considered it the complement to Graham and Dodd's Security Analysis (which I have as well). Jesse's book was the original text on technical analysis. Jesse made and lost fortunes more than once. Interestingly, the woman he was married to when he committed suicide had been married something like four or five times before and each of her husbands had comitted suicide.

dutchboy
09-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Some of the books were worth the price.

Why use a copier. There are scanners that can turn the pages and scan 1000 pages per hour. Only human involvement is to place the book in the machine.
Stanford U. is using it to scan all of their books in their library.

You could use a portable scanner to scan one page at a time and end up with an electonic book. Scan as fast as you can turn the pages.

Tape Reader
09-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Not 35 years ago when I rented the books.

Why use a copier. There are scanners that can turn the pages and scan 1000 pages per hour. Only human involvement is to place the book in the machine.
Stanford U. is using it to scan all of their books in their library.

You could use a portable scanner to scan one page at a time and end up with an electonic book. Scan as fast as you can turn the pages.

Tape Reader
09-19-2009, 10:07 PM

Reminds me of the many gurus and geniuses de jour in the horse racing handicapping author racket.

some fancy Manhattan hotel one afternoon and blew his brains out. (The Stork Club, I think.)

reckless
09-20-2009, 08:11 PM
some fancy Manhattan hotel one afternoon and blew his brains out. (The Stork Club, I think.)

Jesse Livermore was a regular patron at The Stork Club, but didn't eat his gun there.

He probably did eat alot of the Stork Club's signature dishes, chicken hamburger, made with two types of meat with plenty of cream and butter added. And for dessert, a ball of ice cream with coconut shavings drizzled in chocolate sauce called a Snowball.

From the late 1920s to 1950s The Stock Club was a place where all the swells frequented. The Stork Club was owned by a guy named Sherman Billingsley, and both the man and Club were main rivals of Toots Shor, the famous New York City restauranteur.

Livermore killed himself at the Sherry-Netherland Hotel in Manhattan. And yes, the Sherry-Netherland is still a fancy Manhattan hotel, located on Fifth Avenue.

reckless
09-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I think a first edition is worth something, but I could be wrong. I always considered it the complement to Graham and Dodd's Security Analysis (which I have as well). Jesse's book was the original text on technical analysis. Jesse made and lost fortunes more than once. Interestingly, the woman he was married to when he committed suicide had been married something like four or five times before and each of her husbands had comitted suicide.

hi CBedo:

Thanks for update on Livermore's wife and her 'unlucky' husbands <s>.

I recall reading a book or two, probably when I was in my silly Warren Buffett mood, where an business/investment publisher in Vermont was quoted as saying he sold numerous first editions of Graham and Dodd, and often got a price in the $6-8,000 range, if I remember correctly.

What I recall most about that chapter was what the publisher said that depending on how the market was going, bullish or bearish, the Graham and Dodd books sold accordingly.

During boom stock market times, sales was slow; in bear markets, interest in Security Analysis was robust.

I am pretty sure my Livermore books were not first editions. Maybe I could get top dollar by selling them by the pound <s>.

Tape Reader
09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Jesse Livermore was a regular patron at The Stork Club, but didn't eat his gun there.

He probably did eat alot of the Stork Club's signature dishes, chicken hamburger, made with two types of meat with plenty of cream and butter added. And for dessert, a ball of ice cream with coconut shavings drizzled in chocolate sauce called a Snowball.

From the late 1920s to 1950s The Stock Club was a place where all the swells frequented. The Stork Club was owned by a guy named Sherman Billingsley, and both the man and Club were main rivals of Toots Shor, the famous New York City restauranteur.

Livermore killed himself at the Sherry-Netherland Hotel in Manhattan. And yes, the Sherry-Netherland is still a fancy Manhattan hotel, located on Fifth Avenue.

Thank you. What one can learn at Pace Advantage.

macdiarmida
09-23-2009, 01:20 PM
1936 publishing date . . . can it be anything but a collector book? Does it say, "for further information, see me in front of the grandstand at Sheepshead Bay"? :p

CBedo
09-23-2009, 01:50 PM
1936 publishing date . . . can it be anything but a collector book? Does it say, "for further information, see me in front of the grandstand at Sheepshead Bay"? :pIt is supposedly one of the first books to talk about parallel time charts, path adjustments, and even wind. I guess our handicapping information really hasn't changed in a long time!

macdiarmida
09-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Quite impressive. Wonder where would we today if all that were seriously applied by the handicapping world at that time?

Tom
09-27-2009, 06:13 PM
This is the first sale of the book. The guy in white is the one who put it on eBaY!
9LBIsDBC848

dansan
09-27-2009, 06:38 PM
sounds like a guy at the track yesterday said he likes the #5 horse while the race was running he's yelling for the #3 the 3 wins someone say thought you liked the 5 he's say yeah but i bet the 3 lol :D

highnote
09-30-2009, 11:01 PM
098poi,

If I owned the book, step 3 would be "photocopy the book many, many times.' The author is dead, the publisher out of business and who would care? Of course, asking for $2000 is different than getting $2000.

Dick

As Warren Buffett says, "Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."

A copyright lawyer once told me that you can take any public domain book and write a new foreward to the original book and publish it without violating copyright laws even if someone else just published it yesterday.

For example, you could buy the Pittsburgh Phil book "Racing Maxims" and just type up your own copy, write a new forward and voila. You're in business.

CBedo
09-30-2009, 11:23 PM
As Warren Buffett says, "Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."

A copyright lawyer once told me that you can take any public domain book and write a new foreward to the original book and publish it without violating copyright laws even if someone else just published it yesterday.

For example, you could buy the Pittsburgh Phil book "Racing Maxims" and just type up your own copy, write a new forward and voila. You're in business.That's the same with anything "in the public domain." The perfect example in the art world are the dogs playing poker works.
They are in the public domain and you can do whatever you want with them.

Now whether someone will actually buy your reincarnation is a whole other question.

Robert Goren
10-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Public Domain is 70 years after the author's death in the USA. With a 1936 publishing date I doubt it is in the public domain.

rokitman
10-05-2009, 06:47 PM

Sherman Billingsley...

Well, la-dee-daaa! Sophisticated like :cool:

formula_2002
10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
http://www.thorograph.com/archive/history%20lesson.html