PDA

View Full Version : Midshipman sets sail...

joanied
09-17-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52592/midshipman-returns-to-the-races-at-belmont?source=rss

And the 'Mig' rides him... hope all goes well and his comeback is as stellar as Vineyard Haven's....bet Baffert will be watching :)

joanied
09-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Guess no one else really cares...or somethin'...but I have been waiting for the 2 yr old Champ to return...and what a great:jump: come back it was...maybe an 'easy' spot for him, but the fractions were hot and he looked to just be cruisin' along...I couldn't tell much in the video re play, but looks like he finished in the middle of the track because he didn't change leads...I may be wrong 'bout that...looks like the 'Mig' has a good one...
I wonder what Baffert is thinking...I was really mad this colt was taken away from him last year...seems he's in good hands, but wish he was still with Baffert.

Wonder if Midshippman & Vineyard Haven will meet up down the line...that should be a good one!!

andymays
09-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Midshipman was the only one to run close to the pace (sat second for the first half) and then win if I remember right. Not an easy task on Pro Ride.

Hope he has a bright future ahead!

joanied
09-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Midshipman was the only one to run close to the pace (sat second for the first half) and then win if I remember right. Not an easy task on Pro Ride.

Hope he has a bright future ahead!

andymays...not like you to make a mistake...but guess what...Midshipman's race was at Belmont...on our very best favorite surface...DIRT:jump: :jump: :jump:

And...me too:ThmbUp:

rokitman
09-18-2009, 06:40 PM
He was having some navigation problems there in the stretch ;)

andymays
09-18-2009, 06:44 PM
andymays...not like you to make a mistake...but guess what...Midshipman's race was at Belmont...on our very best favorite surface...DIRT:jump: :jump: :jump:

And...me too:ThmbUp:

I was referring to his Breeder Cup win last year! My point was that it took some ability to be able to run near the lead and win over that biased surface.

My fault for not being more clear in my comment. :)

joanied
09-18-2009, 06:48 PM
I was referring to his Breeder Cup race last year! My point was that it took some ability to be able to run near the lead and winover that biased surface.

My fault for not being more clear in my comment. :)

Oopps...shoulda known you wouldn't make a boo-boo :ThmbUp: ...yes, his BC was fabulous...he's may be a special kind of colt...it really bothers me BB doesn't have him anymore...sorry, I can't help repeat that:blush: :D ...
from what the trainer said (won't even attempt the spelling off my head)...unless they go back to the BC with him, and they prob'ly will, IMO...he'll stay on DIRT:jump:

joanied
09-18-2009, 06:49 PM
He was having some navigation problems there in the stretch ;)

Ah...good... that means I did see what I thought I saw :) ..experience and Mig will take care of that.
Man...this Fall season is shaping up to be a really good one:ThmbUp:

Cholly
09-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Bearing out badly,awkward action--to this untrained eye, something be wrong...hope it's not one and done for Midshipmen's 3YO campaign.

I was going to add a crack about the fragility of Unbridled's Song offspring, but then noticed that the #3 horse in that race, Unbridled Danger, just completed his 61st race.

DanG
09-18-2009, 07:27 PM
As ‘Cholly said; he is talented, but not right to say the least. That was one sore (incorrect right front) animal in the head on and followed with a very crabby gallop out imo.

joanied
09-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Bearing out badly,awkward action--to this untrained eye, something be wrong...hope it's not one and done for Midshipmen's 3YO campaign.

I was going to add a crack about the fragility of Unbridled's Song offspring, but then noticed that the #3 horse in that race, Unbridled Danger, just completed his 61st race.

All that should get worked through with more racing...I always think about bad things with the Unbridled Songs...but ya know, Cholly, the mare's side of a pedigree needs to be counted too...haven't looked at his, but let's hope the bottom has some good sound horses in it...

joanied
09-18-2009, 08:20 PM
As ‘Cholly said; he is talented, but not right to say the least. That was one sore (incorrect right front) animal in the head on and followed with a very crabby gallop out imo.

Hey DanG...hmmmmm...don't like the sound of that:faint: ...I didn't see the head on (if you could, please post a link to the head on:) )....I don't recall any info on his injury in Dubia when they first got him over there...was it in his right front?
'Crabby' gallop out...well, crap:mad:

Thanks, Dan

DanG
09-18-2009, 08:32 PM
The NYRA web site links to the free replays Joan. It’s just a quick sign up with password and e-mail address I think. It carries the pan and head on.

http://www.nyra.com/index_belmont.html

I hope I’m wrong; you make a fair point about the time away and he wouldn’t be the first animal to run through his infirmities, but if I owned him I would be VERY concerned going forward.
(http://www.nyra.com/index_belmont.html)

ghostyapper
09-18-2009, 10:16 PM

The drifting out in the stretch was a little concerning but he was on the right lead the whole way and actually switched leads around the turn quite well.

Is that what you were referring to with the incorrect right front?

statik27
09-19-2009, 03:16 AM
These Unbridled Song horses are made out of Post-it-notes or something. How many of them have we seen run at 2, 3, and 4. Rockport Harbor comes to mind and then I'm at a loss. But Rockport was sidelined for much of the time and that was despite being in the hands of a very careful trainer.

And yet people pay big money for them. Welcome to the future of the thoroughbed.

JustRalph
09-19-2009, 08:36 AM
I thought the Unbridled Songs were better on the turf sprinting?

DanG
09-19-2009, 08:50 AM
The drifting out in the stretch was a little concerning but he was on the right lead the whole way and actually switched leads around the turn quite well.

Is that what you were referring to with the incorrect right front?
He ‘paddles’; or his right front is not symmetrical with his other limbs. It’s not the technically “correct” gate when you watch him head on. As I said; poor moving horses win everyday and lose with flawless action, but it’s not ideal for an animal coming off injury that will likely face graded competition next.

Tough to explain, but the best example Zapper I can think of is on the NYRA free replay web site of comparing Midshipman’s head-on and the Mother Goose of a certain 3yo filly you admire. ;) To my eye Rachel has flawless action when viewed head-on, pan or from outer space for that matter.

BTW: I hope I’m not coming across as predicting doom for this fast creature. It’s just in terms of probability going forward and it's all very subjective. I remember Shug telling his wife not to get attached to Easy Goer before he raced. He said “look at that knee”; and he obviously ran through his issues well enough until he was 4yo.

joanied
09-19-2009, 02:03 PM
The NYRA web site links to the free replays Joan. It’s just a quick sign up with password and e-mail address I think. It carries the pan and head on.

http://www.nyra.com/index_belmont.html

I hope I’m wrong; you make a fair point about the time away and he wouldn’t be the first animal to run through his infirmities, but if I owned him I would be VERY concerned going forward.
(http://www.nyra.com/index_belmont.html)

joanied
09-19-2009, 02:09 PM
I've watched the head on...quite telling it is...he is tossing that right front...as DanG said...paddles on it...and he just keeps drifting out...and he did change leads, so that isn't the problem...we either have a horse with a funny way of going, or a horse that does have a soundness issue...I can't wait for his next start now so we can compare it to this one...maybe he was just a tired horse coming out of the turn...but when you know a horse is an Unbridled Song...ya can't help but get that queasy feeling in your stomach...hope Midshipman is one of the Unbridled Song's that is the exception, not the rule!!