PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Dog Shelters

sq764
05-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Does anyone have a 'Dog Run' or some kind of large outdoor encaged area where their dog can run?

We just bought a house and got the estimate for our 150' x 75' yard to have a privacy fence installed.. They want $12,000...

SO... I heard that these runs are a good way to give you dog some exercise, while leaving him outside when you are at work (and not destroying the house)

Our dog is a 2 YO lab who is about 80 lbs, so I want to get a big one. Just curious if anyone knows the cost and where I can look online to find these..

Scott

Tom
05-24-2003, 11:39 AM
My neighbor has an invisable dog fence...never had any problems with his dog getting loose. If I see him out and alive (old guy <G>)
I'll ask him what it cost.

Dave Schwartz
05-24-2003, 12:02 PM
When you say "privacy fence" are you referring to a wood fence? That seems like a lot of money. Of course, if you are doing 450 linear feet, I can imagine it could be quite high.

Downside to invisible fence: It keeps your dog in and may make him a captive prey to a predator. (Living in the land of coyotes as we do this is a consideration.)

Dave

sq764
05-24-2003, 12:14 PM
Well we have considered and invisible fence, but here are a few concerns:

1) Our Lab is a hard-headed jackass who probably would enjoy the shock, so he might chance it

2) Our new house backs up to a road, so if he did get out, he would be right into an intersection in our neighborhood

3) There are dogs on each side of us, and he would be very curious

Lefty
05-24-2003, 12:25 PM
A yr or so ago I took in a German Shepherd who was "loose" in the streets. I just wanted to keep him till I found a good home as I had a little dog inside and found out long ago little males, big males a bad mix. I priced a chain link enclosure and it was way over a thousand. I went to home depot and bght 4 8' foot long and 5' high steel frames(not sure what they're called. and some stakes and wire and built my own 15' by 15' enclosure. I was lucky cause I had 2 walls to use as 2 sides of it but I spent about $350 instead of over a grand. Check out the hardware depots.