PDA

View Full Version : Our Founding Father's Thoughts ????

newtothegame
09-16-2009, 06:18 AM
You decide....

And PA, forgive for me posting in its entirety, but I think its relavent to todays American situation.....

Tuesday, September 15, 2009
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall//colpics/columnistmerola.gif (http://townhall.com/columnists/ChristopherMerola)
A Republic, if You Can Keep It
by Christopher Merola

This Thursday, September 17th, 2009, will be the 222nd anniversary of the signing of the US Constitution. We have come a long way as a nation in that time, but have we gone the way our founding fathers intended us to go?

In his farewell address as the first and arguably the greatest President of the United States, George Washington made many references to our nation preserving its liberty by not becoming too entangled in foreign affairs.
Washington had endured a serious conflict as our nation’s first President. France and Britain were trying to convince the new nation to take a side in their long-contested war. So tense was this conflict that Thomas Jefferson, a supporter of France, resigned as Washington’s Secretary of State when Alexander Hamilton, a supporter of Britain, convinced Washington to sign on to the creation of a central bank.

Washington’s farewell speech was forward looking. He spoke of the dangers of our nation’s foreign entanglements, which could result in our government’s policies being influenced by foreign affairs and not the nation’s domestic needs. Washington’s warning held somewhat steady until the beginning of the 20th Century. Beginning with World War I and then continuing with World War II, the United States became a major player in the world’s affairs and has not looked back since.

~~the rest~~
http://wlssradio.townhall.com/columnists/ChristopherMerola/2009/09/15/a_republic,_if_you_can_keep_it?page=full&comments=true

Pace Cap'n
09-16-2009, 07:28 AM
In a Republic, the rights of the minority are protected by the majority.

In a Democracy, the rights of the minority are dictated by the majority.

46zilzal
09-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Ask those fellows how to treat pneumonia, the physics of flight, atomic theory etc. and their understanding of these would be as relevant as their understanding of society today.

When all else fails, get some sorrowful point of view about flag waving and it is all better.

Tom
09-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Two milestones in this countries history:

1. The day our constitution was ratified
2. The day your left it.

Our FF did pretty good job - better than, oh, every other nation in the world.

ddog
09-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Gary has the quotes correct, but once he starts in with his comments he runs off to the dishonest hack track where 90% on both sides end up. What he chooses to stress is mostly correct , but what he leaves out gives away the partisan hack-e-ness.

They do not really face the facts of the situation we have placed ourselves in.

That is too uncomfortable for most to admit.

I guess his solution is to have the State legislators appoint the senators?

That's it???

The states are just as corrupt if not more so than the Feds.

And strictly speaking , only in a Republic could a majority cry out and have the policies they did not want enacted over the cry of the majority????

For in a true Democracy that could not happen, the votes would not be there.

Did I miss his solution?

PaceAdvantage
09-17-2009, 03:31 AM
And PA, forgive for me posting in its entirety, but I think its relavent to todays American situation.....It doesn't matter what you think is relevant. The rule is you can't duplicate copyrighted material in its entirety. In the past, I've actually had authors email me and complain, and rightly so.

2-3 paragraphs and a link is all that should be posted...