PDA

View Full Version : jockeys fighting at Arlington

alytim
09-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Perez and Emigh went at Sunday after the first race. Anyone have details beyond the press release.

illinoisbred
09-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Perez cut-off Emigh really bad in the 1st race sunday resulting in Perez's mount being disqualified.

nijinski
09-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Heard after he Perez was treated for some cuts and bruises , he went to the police.

David-LV
09-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Hear is the latest news:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jockey tells police of alleged attack

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/horseracing/1771400,CST-SPT-arl15.article

________
David-LV

bigmack
09-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Hear is the latest news:
I can't hear anything!

andymays
09-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Perez cut-off Emigh really bad in the 1st race sunday resulting in Perez's mount being disqualified.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't there been 2 Jocks paralyzed at Arlington? I'm sure all those guys have that in the back of their minds and Emigh probably had the hell scared out of him and overreacted.

I don't know how bad Perez got it but taking it to the Cops probably wasn't the best idea. These guys fight all the time and keep it to themeselves.

proximity
09-16-2009, 12:00 AM
I don't know how bad Perez got it but taking it to the Cops probably wasn't the best idea. These guys fight all the time and keep it to themeselves.

rub some polytrack :mad: on it, and get back in the saddle!!

Bruddah
09-16-2009, 07:57 AM
If the poly tracks are supposed to cushion the impact of 1200 lb+ horses, why doesn't it soften the blows of a 115 lb+ jockey ???

andymays
09-16-2009, 08:49 AM
If the poly tracks are supposed to cushion the impact of 1200 lb+ horses, why doesn't it soften the blows of a 115 lb+ jockey ???

Racing with danger
Arlington's synthetic track helps keep horses healthy, but 2 jockeys are paralyzed

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-arlington-turf-nozone-16-sep16,0,5628321.story?page=2

As the racing season enters the home stretch at Arlington Park, there is no sure bet on whether the artificial surface used since 2007 is the reason for a drop in the number of horses that were euthanized because of injuries.

But following devastating injuries at the track this year to jockeys Rene Douglas and Michael Straight, some are wondering whether the synthetic surface makes for a rougher landing.

"The jockeys' concern was that the surface wasn't tested for humans when they fall on it," said Jerry LaSala, a rider as well as the local representative and national treasurer of The Jockeys' Guild.

"They're not scared to ride. They're scared if they fall. They're wondering if they're going to be the next Rene Douglas or Michael Straight. ... Two guys in four months [on the synthetic Polytrack surface], that's a scary feeling."

castaway01
09-16-2009, 11:03 AM

I guess you were trying to be funny there, but you failed.

46zilzal
09-16-2009, 11:05 AM
I spoke with a retired rider here who used to take mounts at the old Tartan surface at Calder. He said that they all feared falling as it was akin to landing on pavement.

andymays
09-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I spoke with a retired rider here who used to take mounts at the old Tartan surface at Calder. He said that they all feared falling as it was akin to landing on pavement.

These synthetic surfaces in the United States are not being used to specifications. They are supposed to be deeper and slower but when they are deeper and slower people complain that they are too slow and hurt frontrunners. Then they try to speed them up so they play like dirt but the turns aren't banked enough when they're faster and the cushion is gone!

Use the synthetic surfaces to specifications or get rid of them!

46zilzal
09-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Use the synthetic surfaces to specifications or get rid of them!

Turfway and Woodbine are doing it correctly. The rest stink at it.

rokitman
09-16-2009, 11:13 AM
:lol:

BlueShoe
09-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Heard after he Perez was treated for some cuts and bruises , he went to the police.
So Perez got his ass kicked and then went to the cops?Sounds cs to me.Fights in the jocks room have been happening forever,and they do and should be left there.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-16-2009, 12:08 PM
My understanding is Emigh snuck up and attacked Perez in the Jocks room.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

andymays
09-16-2009, 12:10 PM

If he came from behind and nailed him in the side of the head without Perez knowing he was coming then that takes it to another level.

ddog
09-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

I would not be surprised if this were true.

it fits.

Bruddah
09-16-2009, 12:39 PM
I guess you were trying to be funny there, but you failed.

Actually, I wasn't referring to the injured jocks but the two which were fighting. I suppose it could be taken ambiguously, so I apologize for my post. Especially to those which were offended.

The initial post and several thereafter referred to the fight between jocks. Then a poster asked if two jocks hadn't been hurt in falls. If you took the post as intended, I was taking a swipe at poly tracks and two jockeys fist fighting.

andymays
09-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Actually, I wasn't referring to the injured jocks but the two which were fighting. I suppose it could be taken ambiguously, so I apologize for my post. Especially to those which were offended.

Either way you were asking a valid question in my opinion! The article I posted asks the same question!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-arlington-turf-nozone-16-sep16,0,5628321.story?page=2

David-LV
09-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I can't hear anything!

Good catch, just a mistake, sorry.:):)

________
David-LV

Bochall
09-16-2009, 02:38 PM
I guess Emigh is ready to take on Nakatani now huh? Why don't we promote Jockey fights...what a comical spectacle that would be. My money for the best jockey brawler in the USA goes on Gerard Melancon: former golden gloves boxer. P.S.- should we let them use the whip????:D

andymays
09-16-2009, 02:41 PM
I guess Emigh is ready to take on Nakatani now huh? Why don't we promote Jockey fights...what a comical spectacle that would be. My money for the best jockey brawler in the USA goes on Gerard Melancon: former golden gloves boxer. P.S.- should we let them use the whip????:D

The new whip or the old whip?

bisket
09-16-2009, 05:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV92g436hxQ

Space Monkey
09-16-2009, 06:37 PM
You're the youtube man biskit. cracks me up :ThmbUp: :lol:

JustRalph
09-16-2009, 07:41 PM
run every race like a turf event, packed up and then sprint to the finish and eventually somebody is going to run into somebody else

Imriledup
09-17-2009, 05:16 AM
So Perez got his ass kicked and then went to the cops?Sounds cs to me.Fights in the jocks room have been happening forever,and they do and should be left there.

Perez = begins with P and ends with Y, fill in the rest.

rokitman
09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV92g436hxQ
Quite funny! And slightly disturbing!

toetoe
09-17-2009, 12:15 PM
I can't hear anything!

Mack,

If your trying to usyrp my throne, come sea me. :blush: .

toetoe
09-17-2009, 12:16 PM

:lol: .

Astrodirt: The Racer's Edge.

Horseplayersbet.com
09-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Same thing happened at Woodbine sort of a week ago, but it got zero press.
In last Wednesday's seventh race Justin Stein's mount was clipped at the head of the stretch causing Stein to fall off. He was in a sandwich position, and to me it wasn't Chantal Sutherland's mount that caused the clip. A long inquiry ensued as Chantal finished second or third, but the results stood.
After the race, allegedly Stein called Sutherland all sorts of very rude names.

The Stewards decided to suspend Stein 25 days and fine him $2500, which he is currently appealing.

Meanwhile, on Saturday in the 9th race, Sutherland was on the favorite on the grass, and patiently waited for room. Meanwhile Stein was on a longshot who seemed to be waiting for Sutherland to try to get by. He came over on Sutherland's mount at the head of the stretch, and Sutherland's mount then came out causing some of the field to fan out. Sutherland's even money shot wound up romping, and there was no inquiry, which I found weird.