PDA

View Full Version : Conservation

Lefty
08-01-2001, 12:21 PM
andicap, happy to have a gentlmanly disagreement.
But, did you know that CA conserves more energy per
capita than any other state? Gotta balance environtment
with our needs. I love the environment, but don't agree
with whackos who ride in limousenes and want everyone
else to ride the bus. You guys gotta build some power
plants.

andicap
08-01-2001, 01:15 PM
I also notice that the "crisis" is beginning to pass in CA now that conservation has increased. Not sure if you drive these suckers, but use of SUVs is outrageous. They get 12-16 mpg and are a real energy drainer. Plus they are a danger to everything else on the road. If they hit you, you're a goner. Plus you can't see around them!
I can't stand these hypocritical soccer moms who are all pro-environment and say "don't build this here" while driving their kids around in those trucks. We should built the power plants on their block!
If you don't live in a rough terrain or snowy area, you have no business driving those suckers.
Need room? Get a station wagon. Even vans are better than SUVs.

NoDayJob
08-01-2001, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by andicap
I also notice that the "crisis" is beginning to pass in CA now that conservation has increased. Not sure if you drive these suckers, but use of SUVs is outrageous. They get 12-16 mpg and are a real energy drainer. Plus they are a danger to everything else on the road. If they hit you, you're a goner. Plus you can't see around them!
I can't stand these hypocritical soccer moms who are all pro-environment and say "don't build this here" while driving their kids around in those trucks. We should built the power plants on their block!
If you don't live in a rough terrain or snowy area, you have no business driving those suckers.
Need room? Get a station wagon. Even vans are better than SUVs.

Not to worry Andicap, the government is slowly creeping toward complete cradle to grave security. They'll tell you what, where, when and how much. Our founding fathers are ROTFLTFAO. "What have you given us, sir? "Madame, a Republic, if you can keep it". - B. Franklin. No reply necessary. Hahahahahahaha -NDJ

Tom
08-01-2001, 08:15 PM
If people would buy conservative cars and actually practice coservation, this would be baf for business. GM makes a lot of money on SUV's and if there one thing more certain than deat or taxes it is that GM likes profits. They don't care about people, the environment,
God or country. GM exists to make money. Period. Nothing else matters. If they have to go to Mexico to make cars with cheap labor and total pollut the envvironment doing so, so be it. GM exists to make money. If a few customer die in needless crahes or burn to death in firey crashes, too bad. Do you know what it would have cost GM to change those side gas tanks on Chevy trucks?
Hell , a lot of those smoked, so they were going to die any way. GM can pay off people and settle out of court a lot cheaper than change a design of a death trap.
Beside, they didn't set the precedent-that was the Ford Pinto.
If we had a few politicians that weren't totaly corrupt and totally out for themselves, the auto industry would be on trial for what they really are...Serial Killers.
People are still dying on the road because Ford was too cheap to properly test its vehicles and instead of stepping up to the plate and stopping the carnage, they engage in finger pointing with Firestone in an attempt to save face and protect market share.
And who represent us in this? The democrates will sing loud and hard about the evils of pollution, but never, ever do anything to actually stop it. Democrates need a cause to rally around because they are bunch of nothing people who need to make something else seem evil to deflect the truth of what they are. And republicans? Hell, they don't care, as long as they get their cut of the pie. They don't care what happens to anyone as long as they are getting paid off.
I think the NRA is the only hope for any meaningful change in this country.
Tom

andicap
08-01-2001, 08:42 PM
You know, Tom you had me with you until the last sentence....the NRA????
I don't want to get into a debate about that because people are very emotional about guns and I'm not about to enter THAT can of worms.

Lefty
08-02-2001, 02:28 AM
andicap, and people are emotional about their vehicles
too, and you don't get to decide what they drive;they
do.
I don't drive anymore and the wife's got a Honda Civic,
but if joe blow wants an Suv, that's his right.

andicap
08-02-2001, 03:24 AM
I recognize that intellectually, but it's a real emotional hot button issue with me. I just really dislike SUVs. People don't need 'em (except, like I said, in snow and mountains) and they're destructive to society. Republicans are always judging things on a cost-benefit basis to society. SUVs would fail that test.
The difference between SUVs and guns, I guess, is that I don't see everyone ridiing around with guns where I live.
The guys on "Car Talk" agree with me on this issue too.

Lefty
08-02-2001, 12:33 PM
Emotions, hmmm. I vote with my intellect not my emotions. Emotions don't conjure up solutions, just "handwringing"
over the problem.
Now back to handicapping: a truly intellectual puzzle.

JesseV!!!
08-23-2001, 11:59 AM
I saw a lady grocery shopping the other day and she was driving a Ford, F-350, 4X4, Duel cab! She parked right over the intersection of 4 parking spaces! The floor of this truck is 3.5' off the ground!
For Christ's sake, are we that vain of a country that we have to constantly out do the Jones?
Where does it end? Maybe the U.S. looking like the most ignorant people on the planet?
I think we're there!
Last week, a lady driving an expedition slammed into the back of 4 cars at a red light. Creamed all of them!
She was on her phone. Bet it was real important!
Are we doomed or do we have the ability to wise up?

JesseV!!!

Tom
08-23-2001, 08:48 PM
I think natural selection is at work with SUV's- Ford and Firestone have combined to find a way to end this type of car/truck/boat.
Tom

andicap
08-24-2001, 08:03 AM
Tom,
I think I've finally figured out why we need people to have guns. I won't kill them, just shoot out a few tires in parking lots.

Tom
08-24-2001, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by andicap
[B]Tom,
I think I've finally figured out why we need people to have guns. I won't kill them, just shoot out a few tires in parking lots.

I will send you the address for the NRA!
~G~
Tom

BIG HIT
08-24-2001, 09:13 AM
Hi guys Guns i think everybody should be issued one.Reguardless of weather you ever use it would be up to you if you ever use it.There is not a cop that will always be there for you.And innocent people are killed every day.Yes it is true you may never need it .But if you should ever god forbid need it to protect your family or whatever you would have the chioce.As for save energy or gas I believe its all bull and besides if we all conserve gas eletric or whatever the only ones that could afford whats left are the rockafellers.

Lefty
08-24-2001, 12:27 PM
I stand firmly behind 2nd amendment but I don't own a
gun. I'm tough enough to survive without one. When the
day comes i'm not i'll get one.
Conservation just doesn't work. Conserve too much and
price goes up anyway. It has happpened with gasolene
and it's happening in CA with energy. They panicked,
overbought at long term high prices and those that
conserved will get to pay and pay and pay.
Production works. Profit motive is a good one. It has made this country unique in the world.