PDA

View Full Version : Chip Woolley

Pell Mell
09-15-2009, 08:27 AM
After the derby there were some comments around here that really pissed me off. I don't remember who the posters were but I recall telling one of them he wouldn't last very long in Chip's neck of the woods. A lot of comments about the dumb rednecks and such.

There's a nice little story in Bloodhorse about what a classy guy Chip really is.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52519/countdown-to-the-cup-big-chasm-between-a-z

You have to scroll down a little to get to Chip.

Quagmire
09-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Good for Chip. :ThmbUp:

rokitman
09-15-2009, 08:46 AM
That redneck basturd.

Pell Mell, I mean.

:ThmbUp:

joanied
09-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Great little story...that is the kind of thing racing needs to get on the front pages, so to speak.
My brother's youngest son is also mildly Autistic...and he loves horses...so I can sure relate to this man trying to deal with his son's disappointment at Belmont...
I say three:jump: :jump: :jump: cheers for Wooley...what he did is awesome and should have made the sports news...you know, those heartwarming stories that are really quite common in racing, but never get told so the public can see just how wonderful most of the racing people are.

Thanks for the link.

Greyfox
09-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I'll take responsibility here.

Chip Woolley may be the nicest classiest man in the world.
But I thought his post Kentucky Derby interview stunk.
His horse had just won the biggest race of his life.
He got angry at the interviewer and walked away mumbling something to the effect about they won't ask me stupid questions about hauling a horse across the country .....
When the man should have been over the wall with elation, he got angry.
I thought to myself : "What a friggin jerk."

Believe it or not, first impressions count. Besides, several of us asked Booman to weigh in on Woolley and company, but nothing was forthcoming from him at New Mexico.

So it turns out Woolley's great. So is sliced cheese.

joanied
09-15-2009, 01:12 PM

He got angry at the interviewer and walked away mumbling something to the effect about they won't ask me stupid questions about hauling a horse across the country .....

Believe it or not, first impressions count. Besides, several of us asked Booman to weigh in on Woolley and company, but nothing was forthcoming from him at New Mexico.

I agree...sliced cheese is great:jump: ...Seriously, though...I think most of us here had about the same reaction to Woolley's post Derby interveiw...even his actions in the winner's circle were less than you'd expect from a Kentucky Derby winning trainer...
but, in hindsight, I beleive most of us also realized that 1- the man was in total shock 2- the media following him during the 'walk over' were aggrivating, pushy, and just damned dumb...how many times did they ask him about his broken leg and about hauling MTB from NM... kinda makes you think that if it was you...you might have opted for a good old "F***Off" :eek:

Anyway...I beleive that Pell Mell was just pointing out a very nice story about Woolley...and rightfully so. Nothing more, nothing less...
he sure didn't say Woolley was a great man...just that he did a great thing for a child.

WinterTriangle
09-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks for posting the article Pell Mell.

How many trainers have gone that *extra step*, in this case, about 5 extra steps, for a child who is a racing fan? Giving them your cell phone number, your undivided attention, inviting them backside, with a stack of carrots, and sending signed photos, etc.?

Everyone complaining about racing not being marketed well. Then you have these great stories.......

Besides, several of us asked Booman to weigh in on Woolley and company, but nothing was forthcoming from him at New Mexico.

Hm. Careful putting words into somebody else's mouth. Perhaps we should let boomman speak for himself? 05-03-2009, 02:25 AM:

congratulations to a solid trainer who was always was one of the nicest guys on the backside during my many years in New Mexico!

As the late Charlie Isles would say:

Way to go Chipper!!:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Boomer

point given
09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Nice story. kinda reminds me of the old Babe Ruth story of visiting with a sick kid and telling him he would hit a home run for him. and pointing to the outfield with his bat and accomplishing his promise to the kid.

Bruddah
09-15-2009, 05:44 PM
What makes this story about Chip Wooley all the more impressive is, he didn't seek attention or notoriety when doing it. He didn't profile for the cameras or journalists. The actions were done with the most sincere motives. Good for Chip, may he be successful beyond his wildest dreams and stay humble. :ThmbUp:

Grits
09-15-2009, 06:14 PM

There are many of us in life, myself included, that at some time or another, MAY have made a poor first impression, and that's unfortunate.

What I find far more unfortunate, needless to say, small, as well, is that someone would form an opinion of me at that time. And not anything, short of The Transfiguration, could move them to believe any differently of me. Not any time later, after learning more about me, or getting to know me. Choosing, instead, to continue looking upon me as a friggin jerk.

Grace is a fine equalizer.

JustRalph
09-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Fire the Security Guard!!!

Nice story

ghostyapper
09-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Chip acknowledged that his reaction after the derby left him looking bad. He misread the situation, feeling that they were using his broken leg and cross country story in a mocking way. He didn't realize that nbc and tv networks live off those kinds of stories when it comes to horse racing.

He's a great guy and this story shows it.

Greyfox
09-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Hm. Careful putting words into somebody else's mouth. Perhaps we should let boomman speak for himself? 05-03-2009, 02:25 AM:

Well thank you for showing where Boomman posted that.
I missed it.
But get your facts straight WT, I never put words in anyone's mouth.
I said I didn't see any coming from Boomer.
Apparently he posted it, I didn't see it...

In the meanwhile, the more I think about it, there were other things that didn't endear me to Woolley as well.

1. "Well they know who I am now."

2. An assinine video of him and a partner sitting in a truck that was shown before one of the next two Triple Crown races that I switched to the Golf Channel. A total waste of time. He was probably paid for that!

I'll say it again. He may be the classiest nicest trainer on earth.
That doesn't mean I have to "dig him."

I can't remember his record before the Derby, but it strikes me that he had won something like 2 of 34 races or some very low score.

You guys can love him all you want, and boo me all you want.

For those of you who've made poor first impressions somewhere, that's too bad.
Unfortunately, they do count.
Fortunately, most of us are able to overcome them and gain other's respect.
Obviously, for some of you, my comments here might be the first time you've read them and you'll think, oh yeah...
But in the long run, I call a spade a spade....

PaceAdvantage
09-16-2009, 03:03 AM
I for one thoroughly enjoyed Chip's comments to Kenny Rice post Derby.

But then again, I was a fan of Dutrow's comments during the 2008 Triple Crown, so who am I to talk?

sammy the sage
09-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Greyfox...talk about the pot calling the kettle black..........

""So it turns out Woolley's great. So is sliced cheese.""

""But in the long run, I call a spade a spade.""

Your sincerety is UNDERwhelming...if role's had been reversed... :lol: :D

Don't look in a mirror... :rolleyes:

Steve R
09-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Is there a point to this thread? Media blurbs about celebrities are as reliably accurate as political speeches. I doubt there is anyone on this board who knows a thing about the "real" Woolley other than what they've read or been exposed to on TV and radio. For all we know he beats his girlfriend and cheats on his income taxes. What I do know is that he is a third-rate trainer who got lucky with a decent horse and who probably will not get as much out of the horse as a more skilled trainer would. That said, I couldn't care less whether he's the incarnation of Mother Teresa or Ted Bundy. His "celebrity" is irrelevant and I can judge him only on his professional accomplishments, not his character. Anyone who believes they have an insight into Woolley's persona is deluded.

fromtheroof
09-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Amazing a 3rd rate trainer has more Derby wins that Pletcher...............

Greyfox
09-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Your sincerety is UNDERwhelming...if role's had been reversed... :lol: :D

Don't look in a mirror... :rolleyes:

That's not sage of you Sammy. You appointed yourself with wisdom, eh.:lol:
I suspect that if the roles were reversed for most of the posters on this board to a position where they had just won the Kentucky Derby as an unknown,that 99 % would have given a better interview than Chip Woolley.
That's the poorest post Derby interview I've ever seen.

Grits
09-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Is there a point to this thread? Media blurbs about celebrities are as reliably accurate as political speeches. I doubt there is anyone on this board who knows a thing about the "real" Woolley other than what they've read or been exposed to on TV and radio. For all we know he beats his girlfriend and cheats on his income taxes. What I do know is that he is a third-rate trainer who got lucky with a decent horse and who probably will not get as much out of the horse as a more skilled trainer would. That said, I couldn't care less whether he's the incarnation of Mother Teresa or Ted Bundy. His "celebrity" is irrelevant and I can judge him only on his professional accomplishments, not his character. Anyone who believes they have an insight into Woolley's persona is deluded.

Yes, there was a point to the thread, one which, you were not interested in. But those of us who are deluded found the article of interest, and too, of consequence.

You're correct, we may not really know this man's character. The BloodHorse, along with other publications, media, and tv, do, at times though, fall upon something of human interest which they feel makes for a nice story. Something which some would possibly consider useless fluff. Or, for that matter, a lie. Just made up, completely, by the journalist. Pulled right outta his or her butt . . . . "let's see, this'll read well. They'll love this." Fingers flying, working on a deadline, the piece is hurriedly sent to their editor or producer.

Blowing the dust off and removing one's American Racing Manuals from the bookcase enables one to espouse great knowledge of the sport's history. Decades of history actually.

Like it or not though--that third rate trainer who managed no more than to stumble on a decent horse, and, more recently, welcome a child and his dad to his barn--wrote a little bit of it in recent months.

Your examples of character's range consist of a saint and a serial killer.

One died; the other one fried.

How does, entering the two, into a post passing judgement on the skill of a third rate horse trainer shed light on his character?

Steve R
09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Yes, there was a point to the thread, one which, you were not interested in. But those of us who are deluded found the article of interest, and too, of consequence.

You're correct, we may not really know this man's character. The BloodHorse, along with other publications, media, and tv, do, at times though, fall upon something of human interest which they feel makes for a nice story. Something which some would possibly consider useless fluff. Or, for that matter, a lie. Just made up, completely, by the journalist. Pulled right outta his or her butt . . . . "let's see, this'll read well. They'll love this." Fingers flying, working on a deadline, the piece is hurriedly sent to their editor or producer.

Blowing the dust off and removing one's American Racing Manuals from the bookcase enables one to espouse great knowledge of the sport's history. Decades of history actually.

Like it or not though--that third rate trainer who managed no more than to stumble on a decent horse, and, more recently, welcome a child and his dad to his barn--wrote a little bit of it in recent months.

Your examples of character's range consist of a saint and a serial killer.

One died; the other one fried.

How does, entering the two, into a post passing judgement on the skill of a third rate horse trainer shed light on his character?
Since you include yourself among the "deluded", I assume you actually do have an insight into Mr. Woolley's character. Care to provide us with the details that define the real person?

And apparently you have a reading problem. How does my saying that I don't care on what part of the human behavior spectrum he resides have any connection with passing judgment? What I was getting at is that his character is something we can never know from what is presented by the media - positive or negative. But if the story makes you feel all warm and cuddly, then good for you.

Steve R
09-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Amazing a 3rd rate trainer has more Derby wins that Pletcher...............
All I can say is...Cam Gambolati.

Bruddah
09-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Just as we live in a 3 dimensional world, we as humans are 3 dimensional. 1) Sometimes we are as other people see us to be 2) sometimes we are as we see ourselves 3) sometimes we are a combination of both. We all commit faux pauxs everyday we live. Sometimes they happen on the "Big Stage' of life in front of millions of people. Seemingly because we are nervous and we haven't been in those situations before.

I had a football coach tell us over and over, "Whether you score a touchdown or win a game, act like you've been there before." Chip would have done well to have heard those words of wisdom before his horse won the Ky Derby. He didn't and he made a mistake in front of a large audience. However, the real mettle and quality of the man was shown to me in how he responded to that child and mother without all the media attention. He didn't try to balance the negative opinions of what had been a mistake. What he did came from the heart and that tells me more about the man than any of you can.

Yes, I will give old Chip a pass and wish him well with the rest of his life. Especially if his life is full of humility and kindness to others. (JMHO)

ghostyapper
09-16-2009, 02:37 PM

And just for the record even if he was the incarnation of mother Teresa that would also mean nothing to you since your only knowledge of the type of person mother Teresa was was from word of mouth.

Talk about a post not having a point.

Grits
09-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Since you include yourself among the "deluded", I assume you actually do have an insight into Mr. Woolley's character. Care to provide us with the details that define the real person?

And apparently you have a reading problem. How does my saying that I don't care on what part of the human behavior spectrum he resides have any connection with passing judgment? What I was getting at is that his character is something we can never know from what is presented by the media - positive or negative. But if the story makes you feel all warm and cuddly, then good for you.

Yes, I tend to believe like Bruddah and several others. And as much as I believe there's goodness and correctness displayed by horses, I'm able to know there can be even more displayed by humans.

No, I don't care to provide you with anything other than the suggestion "never assume;" as it can make an ass out of u and me.

I can read fine, particularly, when understanding I'm reading nothing more than the opinion of one person. One who's own superior training skills and number of Kentucky Derby winners hasn't been revealed.

Sorry, but--no--I don't term (eg: judge) any trainer who has gotten a thoroughbred into the winners' circle on the first Saturday in May, as well as continuing along, sound, and running in all three Triple Crown races, as third rate.

Steve R
09-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Boy, there sure is a lot of sensitivity here over absolutely nothing. There are the Woolley lovers and the Woolley bashers. And, of course, among the big mouths are those who like or despise Jackson, Asmussen, Baffert, Lukas, Magna and a host of other racing celebrities who have nothing at all to do with any of their lives outside of how they impact one's handicapping. For every story that portrays a Jess Jackson as a sinner there is another that reveals him as a saint. Who gives a damn? He lives his life as he sees fit and it really is nobody's business how he does it. If it makes any of you feel better to trash or praise someone on the basis of what you read in a newspaper or see on TV, that's your right. It also indicates a pretty superficial approach to character judgment. And I'm sure there are plenty out there who are inspired by the umpteenth story of the jockey who overcame his drug addiction to win the "big" race. Frankly, if that's the kind of shit that contributes to the game's appeal, no wonder it's swirling down the toilet.

mountainman
09-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Reports were rampant here during our derby week of Woolley playing the diva. And remember, a smitten media can cut and splice someone's personality any way they please. But in the course of our dealings, Chip was friendly, gracious, and patient with my agenda. A class guy in my book.

Pell Mell
09-16-2009, 09:03 PM
The reason I started this thread in the first place is that I felt for that person with the little boy. For Chip to go out of his way like that, and not advertise it to get some favorable press, was a class act in my book.

If you don't like him as a trainer, fine, but I would venture to say he's got more guts and determination than most people in addition to being someone with a warm heart.:jump:

Bruddah
09-16-2009, 10:46 PM
The reason I started this thread in the first place is that I felt for that person with the little boy. For Chip to go out of his way like that, and not advertise it to get some favorable press, was a class act in my book.

If you don't like him as a trainer, fine, but I would venture to say he's got more guts and determination than most people in addition to being someone with a warm heart.:jump:

You get a Big Amen Bruddah from my side of the stable! :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
09-16-2009, 11:01 PM
I for one thoroughly enjoyed Chip's comments to Kenny Rice post Derby.

I did too, PA. He was refreshingly candid as I recall. :ThmbUp:

alhattab
09-16-2009, 11:14 PM

Wooley had Mine That Bird at Saratoga all meet over in the stakes barn. My buddy, my son (4) and I ran into Wooley on the front side one morning when MTB worked. We chatted a bit, and he let my son (also autistic although Wooley didn't know it) take a picture with him. Wooley had a pretty good line- 22 hangovers in 20 nights. Not a hard thing to do in Saratoga when you have only one horse. He was just a regular guy. Tim Ice too.

I honestly thought he was drunk in the post-Derby interview, although I was too so I'm not sure. I definitely thought one of the co-owners was bombed too.

boomman
09-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Reports were rampant here during our derby week of Woolley playing the diva. And remember, a smitten media can cut and splice someone's personality any way they please. But in the course of our dealings, Chip was friendly, gracious, and patient with my agenda. A class guy in my book.

Mark: Agreed 100%! Someone in this thread asked if anyone on this board REALLY knows Chip Wooley, and after spending 18 years in New Mexico and seeing and talking with him nearly every day over that period of time, I would think that would qualify me as knowing him!;) The question was also put forth on this board to ask "boomman" because apparently people KNEW (or assumed correctly) that I actually do know Chip very well, and they would be right. And I can tell everyone of you: I never saw the guy be MEAN or out of line with anyone during that period of time! He was always known as one of the truly NICE guys in the business, and I'm proud to call him a friend, especially when I see what he did for the autistic kid and his father. That's the "Chipper" I know!:ThmbUp:

Boomer

WinterTriangle
09-17-2009, 02:57 AM
I thought the point of the topic was to share a human interest story, one that portrays kindness.

Why it has to become about the man's training record, is beyond me. :confused:

This wasn't a story about Wooley's training abilities......it was a story about his ability to extend himself, and share what he had to share, with a little boy to whom doing that MEANT something.

I enjoyed it as I did the story about handing out the derby wreath roses in town square. I'm sure the people who attended enjoyed it, too.

Some people just love this sport, and find enjoyment therein, not just the wagering part. Trainers are people, not just statistics on a PP. We like to know this.

bcgreg
09-17-2009, 07:16 AM
This wasn't a story about Wooley's training abilities......it was a story about his ability to extend himself, and share what he had to share, with a little boy to whom doing that MEANT something.

:ThmbUp:

rokitman
09-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Mark: Agreed 100%! Someone in this thread asked if anyone on this board REALLY knows Chip Wooley, and after spending 18 years in New Mexico and seeing and talking with him nearly every day over that period of time, I would think that would qualify me as knowing him!;) The question was also put forth on this board to ask "boomman" because apparently people KNEW (or assumed correctly) that I actually do know Chip very well, and they would be right. And I can tell everyone of you: I never saw the guy be MEAN or out of line with anyone during that period of time! He was always known as one of the truly NICE guys in the business, and I'm proud to call him a friend, especially when I see what he did for the autistic kid and his father. That's the "Chipper" I know!:ThmbUp:

Boomer
You're never gonna cut in the internet posting business mister if you're going to persist with spewing facts. :rolleyes:

Murph
09-17-2009, 08:50 AM

If you don't like him as a trainer, fine, but I would venture to say he's got more guts and determination than most people in addition to being someone with a warm heart.:jump:The same feeling I had of him watching after the Derby as he struggled to the winners circle on his crutches. His "they'll know who I am now" comment is spot on with me. Maybe we'll see more gelded Derby starters.

toetoe
09-17-2009, 12:17 PM

And this thread is toast. :bang: .

joanied
09-17-2009, 02:14 PM
I did too, PA. He was refreshingly candid as I recall. :ThmbUp:

Kenny stunk...but I thought Woolley was pretty damn funny:D

joanied
09-17-2009, 02:17 PM
I thought the point of the topic was to share a human interest story, one that portrays kindness.

Why it has to become about the man's training record, is beyond me. :confused:

I enjoyed it as I did the story about handing out the derby wreath roses in town square. I'm sure the people who attended enjoyed it, too.

Some people just love this sport, and find enjoyment therein, not just the wagering part. Trainers are people, not just statistics on a PP. We like to know this.

Winter Triangle....you took the words right outta my mouth...good post:ThmbUp:

For Chip Woolley the MAN...:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: