PDA

View Full Version : file grabber

sufan
09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
I just got a new computer with a 64 bit. what I need is a file
grabber for getting pro caps files. I was using equi sim file grabber
on my old computer and it was fine. It wont run on my new one.
How does everyone grab there files without doing each one singlely.
I cant find an updated equi sim one.

CBedo
09-14-2009, 03:48 PM
A pretty easy way is to use a plugin in Firefox like Downloadthemall or Flashgot. I used to use Downloadthemall to download the procaps files every day (if you have any questions, shoot me a mesage).

PrairieMeadows
09-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Writing one in ruby is pretty easy if you are so inclined, probably a ready made script available for it too.

CBedo
09-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Writing one in ruby is pretty easy if you are so inclined, probably a ready made script available for it too.That's exactly what I did. My whole automated process in written in Ruby. Using Mechanize to get at web page info is pretty straight forward.

cmoore
09-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Downloadthemall works for me..

ranchwest
09-15-2009, 01:52 AM
Will Robograb run on 64-bits?

GameTheory
09-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Will Robograb run on 64-bits?Beats me. But I don't see why it shouldn't.

http://www.dvdsaurus.com/robograb/robograb.zip

TexasDolly
10-27-2009, 01:00 PM
GT, Just a note to thank you and your friend for making Robograb
available . IT works well and is a major,major time saver .
The fact that it gets what you need each and every time is very
important as well.
So thanks again,
TD

GameTheory
10-27-2009, 06:43 PM
GT, Just a note to thank you and your friend for making Robograb
available . IT works well and is a major,major time saver .
The fact that it gets what you need each and every time is very
important as well.
So thanks again,
TDYou're welcome. The thing works in BRIS, right? I did all the testing on TSN. Or now with TSN going away maybe they are changing URL structure? If it suddenly stops working because BRIS changes something, let me know. Make sure you're careful if they aren't going to have unlimited plans -- I am not liable for out-of-control downloading...

TexasDolly
10-28-2009, 07:30 AM
I haven't tried it on Bris PP Data files yet ,only TSN files. My understanding is that
BRIS will grandfather in the TSN users until the end of 2010 for the same price and unlimited data. I do use it to download the Bris flash results and Bris entry files with no problem ,so at least for those two it does do the Bris files properly.
TD

ranchwest
11-17-2009, 11:17 PM
You're welcome. The thing works in BRIS, right? I did all the testing on TSN. Or now with TSN going away maybe they are changing URL structure? If it suddenly stops working because BRIS changes something, let me know. Make sure you're careful if they aren't going to have unlimited plans -- I am not liable for out-of-control downloading...

Robograb worked for me on BRIS until today, 11/17/09 (I didn't use it yesterday). Did it stop working for anyone else?

The message I get is "Unable to get current track list!"

GameTheory
11-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Robograb worked for me on BRIS until today, 11/17/09 (I didn't use it yesterday). Did it stop working for anyone else?

The message I get is "Unable to get current track list!"I see.

There was a hard-coded URL in the program to TSN -- it gets the current tracks from the old PCS files page when it starts up. Easy fix. I'll put up a new one tomorrow -- I'll post in this thread about it when it is up...

ranchwest
11-18-2009, 12:11 AM
I see.

There was a hard-coded URL in the program to TSN -- it gets the current tracks from the old PCS files page when it starts up. Easy fix. I'll put up a new one tomorrow -- I'll post in this thread about it when it is up...

Thanks! I used DownloadThemAll tonight, but it is not nearly as friendly as Robograb for downloading MultiCaps files.

CBedo
11-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks! I used DownloadThemAll tonight, but it is not nearly as friendly as Robograb for downloading MultiCaps files.I have not used Robograb, so it may be much easier, but downloading the MCPs with DownthemAll is pretty easy, just put *1118 (substitute whatever day you want there to get all the files for a specific day) in the fast filtering line.

ranchwest
11-18-2009, 08:35 AM
I have not used Robograb, so it may be much easier, but downloading the MCPs with DownthemAll is pretty easy, just put *1118 (substitute whatever day you want there to get all the files for a specific day) in the fast filtering line.

Thanks, I missed seeing that fast filtering line because the input box is hidden until it is selected. That's handy.

The advantage to Robograb is that it "knows" what you've already downloaded and it "knows" your download directory for that filetype and it "knows" whether you want files in advance. And, it has "All", "None" and I guess it is "Detect Each" as filters for Date, Filetype and Track.

This works out to mean that if you somehow missed a file, either because it was not available at your download time or the download was not begun on that file, then Robograb will pick it up the next time you download files because it figures out that there's a file out there that's not in your directory.

Nothing wrong with DownloadThemAll, but Robograb was specifically designed to download horse files the way a handicapper is likely to want to filter them.

TexasDolly
11-18-2009, 10:02 AM
GT, I have always been able until today to get the Bris free results and free entry
files from Bris and didn't appear to be hampered by TSN considerations one way or the other . So now I am wondering if Bris changed something to prevent a large number of file grabs from the old TSN users . I was able to download them very early
yesterday morning(11/17) but not today(11/18).
TD

GameTheory
11-18-2009, 10:57 AM
GT, I have always been able until today to get the Bris free results and free entry
files from Bris and didn't appear to be hampered by TSN considerations one way or the other . So now I am wondering if Bris changed something to prevent a large number of file grabs from the old TSN users . I was able to download them very early
yesterday morning(11/17) but not today(11/18).
TDNo, the TSN site went away yesterday (or all the pages changed to a "we've gone away" message anyway) and the program was counting on that page being there -- even if you never used TSN. It uses it for reference on startup. It will work fine once I change that to a BRIS URL. Fix coming today...

GameTheory
11-18-2009, 11:01 AM
The advantage to Robograb is that it "knows" what you've already downloaded and it "knows" your download directory for that filetype and it "knows" whether you want files in advance. And, it has "All", "None" and I guess it is "Detect Each" as filters for Date, Filetype and Track.The 'D' is for Default, and it will go back to whatever you have it set to according to your track list. (Your personal default.)

TexasDolly
11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
No, the TSN site went away yesterday (or all the pages changed to a "we've gone away" message anyway) and the program was counting on that page being there -- even if you never used TSN. It uses it for reference on startup. It will work fine once I change that to a BRIS URL. Fix coming today...

I'm glad to hear my theory was bad and that you will be able to fix it . Thabks again
for the continuing effort.This morning reminded me again of the drudgery of clicking
each file,result and entry page and what help this program is.

TD

CBedo
11-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks, I missed seeing that fast filtering line because the input box is hidden until it is selected. That's handy.

The advantage to Robograb is that it "knows" what you've already downloaded and it "knows" your download directory for that filetype and it "knows" whether you want files in advance. And, it has "All", "None" and I guess it is "Detect Each" as filters for Date, Filetype and Track.

This works out to mean that if you somehow missed a file, either because it was not available at your download time or the download was not begun on that file, then Robograb will pick it up the next time you download files because it figures out that there's a file out there that's not in your directory.

Nothing wrong with DownloadThemAll, but Robograb was specifically designed to download horse files the way a handicapper is likely to want to filter them.Thanks. If I need a downloader, I'll have to check it out. Right now, the only thing I use a downloader for is if I need to download scratches on my laptop. Everything else is automated and downloads the multicaps, exotic results, & the chart files each night in the background (written in Ruby).

GameTheory
11-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks. If I need a downloader, I'll have to check it out. Right now, the only thing I use a downloader for is if I need to download scratches on my laptop. Everything else is automated and downloads the multicaps, exotic results, & the chart files each night in the background (written in Ruby).Robograb also has an automated mode that can run as a scheduled task without user intervention. At least, that's what I wrote in the docs, so it must.

I'm doing the fix right now -- it will be up shortly...

GameTheory
11-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Ok,

IF you already have been using Robograb, then download:

http://www.dvdsaurus.com/robograb/robograb_brisfix.zip

Then just extract the files into your current Robograb directory, and it will overwrite the old stuff with the new stuff (updated .dlls are included), but without overwriting any of your configuration files.

If you are new to Robograb and with to try it (it downloads BRIS data & results files for you in case that hasn't been clear), then download the full version:

http://www.dvdsaurus.com/robograb/robograb.zip

ranchwest
11-18-2009, 11:55 PM
GT, thanks! Works for me. Very nice program!

TexasDolly
11-19-2009, 07:10 AM
I installed the Brisfix and it worked fine this morning so many thanks again.
TD