PDA

View Full Version : Jumper caught in the act

46zilzal
09-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Taken before another $53,000 was bet to show on the 8th race today at Hastings

Imriledup
09-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Someone jumped in an ELEVEN horse field today at Emerald. Don't these people know the 'rules of thumb' for jumping?

cj's dad
09-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I think you meant race #7 ?!

46zilzal
09-13-2009, 11:57 PM
I think you meant race #7 ?!
We usually have the stakes race as 8 so I moved it up one

46zilzal
09-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Someone jumped in an ELEVEN horse field today at Emerald. Don't these people know the 'rules of thumb' for jumping?
Our mutuels manager thinks that the same person made both wagers.

Imriledup
09-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Is there any reason this jumper didn't bet his 100k+ on Wasserman in a 5 horse field? Wass towered over the field, he wasn't some young filly from post 11, i don't get these people sometimes, its almost like they're trying to lose.

Imriledup
09-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Our mutuels manager thinks that the same person made both wagers.

I'd LOVE to know where and how someone gets tens of thousands of dollars into the pools at the last second. Can you ask the Mutuel Manager how a bet like this gets made? Does the guy show up with a suitcase with stacks of money? Do they have to override the system so that the 250 dollar cap is taken off? Does the guy go up to a teller and say "i'll have 100k to show on the 11 horse please?"

I'd love to know how someone can get this kind of money together and place the bet, seems like its hard to pull this off.

rokitman
09-14-2009, 07:31 AM
I'd LOVE to know where and how someone gets tens of thousands of dollars into the pools at the last second. Can you ask the Mutuel Manager how a bet like this gets made? Does the guy show up with a suitcase with stacks of money? Do they have to override the system so that the 250 dollar cap is taken off? Does the guy go up to a teller and say "i'll have 100k to show on the 11 horse please?"

I'd love to know how someone can get this kind of money together and place the bet, seems like its hard to pull this off.
Use keyboard and/or mouse to enter amount, then click on
"Submit."

Tom
09-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Who's that in front of the tote?

jotb
09-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Wow, I just looked at the results for this race. Whoever this person is must be sick to the stomach today. The filly did figure to hit the board but like you said "eleven horse field" from that post and 2yo's to boot. The key here is every horse in the race was trying that distance for the first time. That extra 1/16 certainly did the big favorite in. The winner was a maiden and one must think how does this filly jump up and win but in both her prior and only starts she ran at 5.5F and finished with "good energy" and "good courage" from her race comments. The added furlong certainly helped her.

Joe

onefast99
09-14-2009, 08:50 AM

Last year at GP I was at the $50 window watching a guy count out 10k as he placed his bet. From the time he started the bet, around 12 minutes to post, until he got his tickets it took about 10 minutes.

BUD
09-14-2009, 04:24 PM
This may be some Probably not.

Sunday I was watching NYRA on the Laptop Colts. Nephews team with my Parents-Cell rings-Friend asks The age old---Is it wise for me to dump 10K on the Fav to show in a short field--He's got mega money troubles--I told him--I'd be more confident playing red over black etc..

I hope I talked him outta it--One of my buddies kid got busted ripping copper tubing outta forclosed properties---Lotsa money troubles out yonder--Make some do stupid things..maybe thats some of it

thespaah
09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
This may be some Probably not.

Sunday I was watching NYRA on the Laptop Colts. Nephews team with my Parents-Cell rings-Friend asks The age old---Is it wise for me to dump 10K on the Fav to show in a short field--He's got mega money troubles--I told him--I'd be more confident playing red over black etc..

I hope I talked him outta it--One of my buddies kid got busted ripping copper tubing outta forclosed properties---Lotsa money troubles out yonder--Make some do stupid things..maybe thats some of it
I call having ten grand in liquid cash at my fingertips a pleasant thought. Not money troubles.

bigmack
09-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Who's that in front of the tote?
Say hello to Dr. Zilly

toetoe
09-14-2009, 05:24 PM
My vote ? The great Victor McLaglen.

toetoe
09-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Did you notice that on another thread you were called "Jingle Boy" by one of our boardmates ? Quite flattering, wot ? Pithy, yet idolatrous. Manly ? Why, yes, but *I* like it too.

bigmack
09-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Did you notice that on another thread you were called "Jingle Boy" by one of our boardmates ? Quite flattering, wot ? Pithy, yet idolatrous. Manly ? Why, yes, but *I* like it too.
Barely. On yet the tenth time switching the i & e in his moniker he becomes unglued every time. Jerkin' that chain is like taking candy from a kid.

Imriledup
09-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Wow, I just looked at the results for this race. Whoever this person is must be sick to the stomach today. The filly did figure to hit the board but like you said "eleven horse field" from that post and 2yo's to boot. The key here is every horse in the race was trying that distance for the first time. That extra 1/16 certainly did the big favorite in. The winner was a maiden and one must think how does this filly jump up and win but in both her prior and only starts she ran at 5.5F and finished with "good energy" and "good courage" from her race comments. The added furlong certainly helped her.

Joe

I was at simulcasting and overheard someone yell "wow, look at the show prces" so i look up and see its Emerald and check out the race number. I open my form to that race to see what the 'jumper' horse looked like on paper and i was like "this can't be the right race, there are 11 horses in here, no one bets a ton to show in an 11 horse field"

Than, i scan the PPs looking for which horse was the one who got the big show bet and it took me a while to find it. I just looked at the Beyer figs and figured that the horse who got the jump TOWERED over the field Beyerwise. So, i couldn't find this horse from Beyers because no one really had Beyers in the 80s, so than i had to use another method to figure out which horse had the jump. I noticed the 11 had lots of easy wins and said to myself "could someone have bet a ton to show on Ricky Frazier?" Naw, can't be i said to myself.

Usually, when there is a jumper, you can scan the PPs and find it right away. If it takes you (or me) more than 5 seconds to find the actual horse who got the show bet, its a terrible TERRIBLE bet.

There are rules of thumb in jumping that are actually set in stone like Mt Rushmore and betting show in very short fields is one of the rules that you must adhere to. This show bettor broke SO many rules of 'sure thing' Jump horses that its not even funny.